AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Higurashi

Notices

View Poll Results: Higurashi Episode 8 Rating
Perfect 10 57 41.30%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 47 34.06%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 25 18.12%
7 out of 10 : Good 6 4.35%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 1.45%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.72%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-05-27, 20:04   Link #61
Cyz
"Show it to me"

the end of chapter...that makes it 2 now. so the murderer this time was a "demon" because oishi said that mion also died on the well. oh! and i feel sorry for shion though. looks like she was physically and mentally tortured. and i got to admit, keiichi was hit by a rock, stunned by a taser (although im sure that's not deadly) and then survived being stabbed. i wonder if he also did survived the nail/hammer combination thing
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Old 2006-05-27, 20:30   Link #62
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Ok, I'm going to go out on a bit of a limb here... Let me say first, I've read as many of the TIPS and faq's and various boards as I dare, not wanting to spoil things too much. I've never played the game and have no knowledge of this premise before the anime. And I respect it - it's extremely well-made - ridiculously smart, incredibly creepy, and fascinating. 'nuff said. BUT...

Am I missing something, at some level? I mean - what this appears to boil down to is watching likeable young characters, who get four episodes to endear themselves to you, die horribly in various different scenarios. From a purely calculating prespective, sure, I could see where this is interesting, and trying to figure out the various mysteries has appeal. But doesn't watching basically decent kids get tortured and hacked to bits over and over - and knowing it's coming every time - sink to the level of masochism? I mean - I just don't enjoy that. I appreciate all the wonderful elements that go into the mix, but in the end, where is the pleasure in watching it happen?

Like I said, maybe I'm missing something here. I'm certainly no prude when it comes to violence. What it boils down to, for me, is finding a reason to convince myself to keep watching...

Last edited by Guardian Enzo; 2006-05-27 at 21:12.
Old 2006-05-27, 21:09   Link #63
FubaredByAnime

Quote:
Like I said, maybe I'm missing something here. I'm certainly no prude when it comes to violence. Wha it boils down to, for me, is finding a reason to convince myself to keep watching...
Keep in mind your watching a mystery where we're the detectives. At this point, we're only at the halfway mark of watching this mystery unravel. The next 2 arcs will probably play out in the same fashion as a teen slasher film like the past 2 arcs. Supposedly the arc after the 4th story will provide answers to wants going on. If that's something you don't want to invest your time to watch, maybe it's time to stop and/or just read the blogs that cover this anime. Hopefully this answers your question.
Old 2006-05-27, 21:19   Link #64
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Well, it does and it doesn't. I guess I'm just wondering if anyone else is feeling this same conflict I'm feeling. Yes, it would make a difference knowing that there was a payoff at the end that justified what went before - that this wasn't just random horror for the purpose of intellectual masturbation. But even if there is, am I the only one wondering if it's worth the trip?

Take K1 for example. A perfectly normal teenaged male - basically decent, acts stupidly from time to time (ep 8 comes to mind), doesn't have much in the way of social skills. There's no poetic justice in seeing him die repeatedly in horrible ways - in no sense does he "have it coming". And the fact that the series is so well-written actually makes it worse - if these weren't believable characters, there wouldn't be the same emotional impact. But the tone of the series towards K1 and his agonies seems almost voyeuristic to me - almost gleeful, and probably gratuitous.
Old 2006-05-27, 21:31   Link #65
gaidin

Spoiler for more thoughts on Mion/Shion, ep8, and the arc:

Spoiler for opening scene of Watanagashi arc:

Spoiler for last frame of ep8:

What a great episode...
Old 2006-05-27, 21:42   Link #66
FubaredByAnime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo
Well, it does and it doesn't. I guess I'm just wondering if anyone else is feeling this same conflict I'm feeling. Yes, it would make a difference knowing that there was a payoff at the end that justified what went before - that this wasn't just random horror for the purpose of intellectual masturbation. But even if there is, am I the only one wondering if it's worth the trip?

Take K1 for example. A perfectly normal teenaged male - basically decent, acts stupidly from time to time (ep 8 comes to mind), doesn't have much in the way of social skills. There's no poetic justice in seeing him die repeatedly in horrible ways - in no sense does he "have it coming". And the fact that the series is so well-written actually makes it worse - if these weren't believable characters, there wouldn't be the same emotional impact. But the tone of the series towards K1 and his agonies seems almost voyeuristic to me - almost gleeful, and probably gratuitous.
Ok, now I know what you're saying. In a nutshell, is there a point where we'll see some positive light at the end of this tunnel of horror for out characters? Hmmmm ... how should I put it? That's a tough one. I don't know everything like the game players like KJ and Sushi do, so I should let them try to persuade you if they can as they probably have way more insight into what will happen then I do. But as someone who does watch, I do hope that there will be an story where everyone lives happily ever after.

As is, the show will end with the 6th arc, which answers some questions, but will not provide all the answers. From this standpoint, I can only assume that the ending is probably going to be the equivalent as what we're seeing now until the end of the show. The 8th arc has not been released yet, so who knows what's going to happen there.

[Edited]
I just wanted to mention that KJ was nice enough to open arc speculation threads for Watanagashi and the first one (can't remember). Maybe we should start moving our speculation and theories over there.
Old 2006-05-27, 21:44   Link #67
gaidin

Quote:
This series is probably the most brutal anime I've seen...previously I would have said Elfen Lied had that title. For me so far the most interesting part of this series is the depth of the characters and storyline. It goes so far beyond almost all other shows I've seen and every bit of info we learn adds more and more questions. Going back and rewatching the previous eps to see how the meaning of events can drastically change is something that doesn't make sense in any other anime (as far as I know).

Spoiler for Keiichi isn't normal:

None of this excuses extreme violence so like other's have said it's certainly up to you whether to continue watching. If nothing else this series is certainly a huge departure from most formulaic anime out there today. Perhaps comparing this series to other Asian horror movies where there's less overt violence and more psychological/traumatic horror (think A Tale of Two Sisters) and contrasting with american horror would explain it a bit better. Of the Asian horror films I've seen the crux of the plot is usually some extreme emotional trauma which imho has a way stronger impact than any slasher/bloody violence.
Old 2006-05-27, 21:46   Link #68
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chibi Nasu
I believe it's K1 because K="kei" and 1="ichi", hence K1="Keiichi."

Hmm... powerful episode, though I wish it could have been longer so that we could get a little bit more information from it. Needless to say, I'm utterly confused at the moment, and shall refrain from coming up with any theories of my own until I watch it again (even though, after watching the next arc, all theories I do come up with would possibly be void...)
This has been bugging me a bit. "K1" is how Morisato Keiichi from Ah Megami-sama abbreviates his name. However, Maebara Keiichi from Higurashi no Naku Koroni never writes his own name like that. Moreso, he prefers to go by his nickname "Kei" (as how Mion calls him with the suffix -chan, and how I prefer to write his name in the TIPS).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceDrake
Heh, another question concerning the end of the episode.

Spoiler:
Nope. The game ended just like it did in the anime. Besides, Oishi-san already spilled the fact that both Mion and Shion are already dead. How would ______ be there hiding underneath the hospital bed? That itself opens up a new possibility: was Kei state of mind normal at that scene? Adding Oishi-san chilling quote of "dead walking a lot" makes this even more suspenseful as well.

Quote:

I understand the conflict within you. Trust me, I had it within me when I first played the game as well. But rest assured, by the end of the next chapter (Tatarigoroshi-hen), you will be totally immersed keep watching this show for the exact reason that you are yearning for. Saying anything further will be tantamount as a spoiler, so I won't say anymore.

Last edited by kj1980; 2006-05-27 at 22:23.
Old 2006-05-27, 22:02   Link #69
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by FubaredByAnime
Ok, now I know what you're saying. In a nutshell, is there a point where we'll see some positive light at the end of this tunnel of horror for out characters? Hmmmm ... how should I put it? That's a tough one. I don't know everything like the game players like KJ and Sushi do, so I should let them try to persuade you if they can as they probably have way more insight into what will happen then I do. But as someone who does watch, I do hope that there will be an story where everyone lives happily ever after.

As is, the show will end with the 6th arc, which answers some questions, but will not provide all the answers. From this standpoint, I can only assume that the ending is probably going to be the equivalent as what we're seeing now until the end of the show. The 8th arc has not been released yet, so who knows what's going to happen there.

[Edited]
I just wanted to mention that KJ was nice enough to open arc speculation threads for Watanagashi and the first one (can't remember). Maybe we should start moving our speculation and theories over there.
That pretty wells sums it up. I'm not looking for a happy ending, really - just some conclusion that shows me there was a point to all this, and that it wasn't just the anime version of a surgical dissection of an unanaesthetized subject.

Two good points were just made - one, we don't really know if K1 is "normal". And since he does seem to be at the center of each of these decidedly abnormal scenarios, it's a fair question. That would be a "point" I suppose, but it still doesn't answer the question of whether watching a basically nice (as far as we can tell) boy get filleted several times while we wait to find out is enjoyable.

Second point - this probably does bear comparison more with Asian horror films than any anime. "The Audition" springs to mind for me. And indeed, even if you admire those films, watching them is a sort of masochistic act. I guess it depends on what your tastes are...
Old 2006-05-27, 22:05   Link #70
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
I understand the conflict within you. Trust me, I had it within me when I first played the game as well. But rest assured, by the end of the next chapter (Tatarigoroshi-hen), you will be totally immersed keep watching this show for the exact reason that you are yearning for. Saying anything further will be tant-amount as a spoiler, so I won't say anymore.

Well, thanks, and I hope you're right. Only one way to find out!
Old 2006-05-27, 22:40   Link #71
DingoEnderZOE2

Send a message via AIM to DingoEnderZOE2
[QUOTE=gaidin]
Spoiler for more thoughts on Mion/Shion, ep8, and the arc:

The only thing that bothers me about this theory is what reason could Shion possiably have for wanting to take Mions place during the festival? Plus what about the Demon within Mion who's been carrying the will of Oyashiro for the past 5 years? And didn't the very same demon announce that if Keichi had only given Mion the doll from the beginning the demon "everything might have been all right" and the demon probably would have stayed dormant within her for a bit longer? Mion obviously prefered for the demon to stay asleep because she cares about Keichi and she wouldn't want the demon to hurt him. Leading Keichi into the warehouse would ALSO put Keichi in danger of the demon so Mion would definitely not allow Keichi to go into the warehouse knowing the demon inside her would be out for his blood.

This makes it more likely that it was SHION who let her curiousity get the better of her and she wanted to drag Keichi with her. Therefore it makes sense that Shion the one who was the most likely suspect to have gone into the warehouse with Keichi would disappear, instead of Mion who KNOWS going in there with Keichi would be more of a reason for the Demon INSIDE OF HER to kill him.
Anime evaluating:None
Manga in progress:None at the moment
Old 2006-05-27, 23:15   Link #72
FubaredByAnime

Well now that the sub is out and anyone can pretty much watch to find out what happens, let me be the first (and probably only) one to ask Sushi or KJ this question based off Sushi's commentary of the episode.

Spoiler:
Old 2006-05-27, 23:30   Link #73
gaidin

I definitely can't answer all your questions since my thoughts are pretty wild guesses themselves but...to go along those lines:

Spoiler for more shion/mion:
Old 2006-05-27, 23:42   Link #74
aliensporebomb

Send a message via AIM to aliensporebomb Send a message via Yahoo to aliensporebomb
Exclamation Another thing......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyond the Shave
The whole discussion of Oishi's cigarettes reminded me of something in the TIPS...

Spoiler:
Did anyone notice this?

Spoiler:
Old 2006-05-28, 00:01   Link #75
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

Blog on ep 8

Interesting. He seems to have come to the same "Shion is the real Sonozaki heir" theory without help from the "Onee" clue.
Old 2006-05-28, 00:20   Link #76
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliensporebomb
Did anyone notice this?

Spoiler:
That's a pun on CASTER, a well known brand of cigarettes in Japan. Interestingly, it's very similar to it's old design that it had back in the 80s.
Old 2006-05-28, 01:31   Link #77
LordAshram

Spoiler:
Old 2006-05-28, 01:46   Link #78
Matt Soulblade
1000 times better

10/10. For resolution issues.
Well, the only thing I can say, is, that either Mion was a zombie in the hospital and killed K1, or the idiot was allucinating.
BTW, Kei chan, you are an idiot.
Old 2006-05-28, 02:06   Link #79
keke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichy
Oh my God!!! Mion is so evil!!!!
Spoiler for this torture is simple...:

I give this Episode a perfect 10, just great
*waits for some animated gifs*
How does this torture work exactly?
Spoiler:

Last edited by keke; 2006-05-28 at 02:20.
Old 2006-05-28, 02:23   Link #80
SpaceDrake
This Is Part Of The Plan

Spoiler:
Closed Thread