AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Higurashi

Notices

Old 2006-07-22, 14:49   Link #21
Varion
殲滅天使

Send a message via AIM to Varion Send a message via MSN to Varion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric the Grey
Does anybody have a link to this, and has anybody tried to use it with Higurashi? I'd love to give the game a shot, but don't know the first thing about reading Japanese.
Yup, and I'd advise against it. While you might roughly get the gist of a few bits, you're definitely not going to get an understanding of the whole thing and are just going to be left confused more often than not. You could try it if you really want though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi-Y
Late response, but yes, the trial version appears to feature some different tracks and sound effects from the full version (Apparantely, produced by the guys over at Twilight Frontier). Are they any good? ^^;
They are actually Not surprised though because I liked some of the music in Daybreak too, if these had come first I don't think anyone would be complaining. I still miss some of the original tracks though.

Daybreak's fun, but either I'm not very good at it or the camera's a bit unpolished. It seems really hard to get your bearings and every time I try to attack anyone Keiichi or Mion seem to appear from nowhere and hit me Poor Rena.
Varion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-22, 16:04   Link #22
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midrange
Question~

Matsuribayashi-hen will be the final package for the Kai chapters, right? No more repackaging? Have 07th-Expansion announced any plans to make a single package of all eight chapters together? Because if so I wouldn't mind waiting a little longer to take the plunge if they did such a thing.

I'd also like to see a PC port of the PS2 voiced version even if it is unlikely

[edit: no more posting at 6am in the morning for me after staying up all night, also, i need to %@#$ing read]
Matsuribayashi-hen will be the final chapter in the series, and it will contain all the answer chapters (Meakashi-hen ~ Matsuribayashi-hen). Likewise, all the question chapters (Onikakushi-hen ~ Himatsubushi-hen) are on the Himatsubushi-hen disk. This means if you are a newcomer to the series, you can get the whole game for only 3,000 yen (1,500 yen per disk x 2), as opposed to long time fans who had to buy a new disk everytime a new chapter was released (although they have collectors value too. I wonder how many people actually own the Onikakushi-hen disk? ^^; ).

And like I mentioned before, a PC port of the consumer port (it hasn't been announced yet which platform it'll be for) will make it a reverse-port, which would create a conflict of interest between the original PC game version and the consumer port version, so it's probably not going to happen.
Sushi-Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-23, 18:52   Link #23
LostBlue
祭囃子

just fyi, There will be a PS2 version of the game.

Matsuribayashi-hen, should be the last one... unless Ryukishi-san pulls something at the very end...

There's also other Higurashi stories not in the game so it'll be interesting to see those in the PS2 port as well... (doubtful)
LostBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-23, 19:36   Link #24
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostBlue
just fyi, There will be a PS2 version of the game.
Like I said, the platform hasn't been determined yet, that's why everyone calls it the "consumer version" right now.

It's probably going to be a PS2 port, as it doesn't look like a handheld game, but still.

The other Higurashi stories (Onisarashi-hen, Yoigoshi-hen (Hinamizawa in 2006), Nekogorshi-hen (bonus short-novel for those who purchased the first volumes of the comic Onikakushi, Watanagashi, and Tatarigoroshi-hen)) are manga/novels, and they'll probably stay that way.
Old 2006-07-23, 20:40   Link #25
LostBlue
祭囃子

opps, I didn't see anything past post #20. My bad.
LostBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-27, 20:57   Link #26
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

I'm having some weird problems with Higurashi Daybreak trial. First, there's these grey triangles that overlap across the screen like some strobe effect. Secondly, I can't seem to navigate some of the menus or do anything other than stare at the character select screen, if that's what it is.
Old 2006-08-04, 01:31   Link #27
Takeru
Jag äter idioter
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to Takeru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinova
I'm having some weird problems with Higurashi Daybreak trial. First, there's these grey triangles that overlap across the screen like some strobe effect. Secondly, I can't seem to navigate some of the menus or do anything other than stare at the character select screen, if that's what it is.
I get the same thing....
Spoiler for screenshot:
Old 2006-08-04, 01:59   Link #28
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

I'm guessing you guys probably don't know your control keys. "Enter" only works for selecting main menu options, if you want to select things in other places, you'll need to use the "jump" key for confirmations and "attack" key for cancellations.

To find out and change your control settings, go here:

(The highlighted option)

And then change the control keys as you like, I labeled the commands, in case any of you can't read them:

In my case, the space bar is my confirmation key, and the Z key is my cancel key. So I would use the space bar for picking my teams and characters in the character select screen.
Old 2006-08-04, 02:17   Link #29
Varion
殲滅天使

Yeah, for some unknown reason it seems to default to a control pad regardless of whether or not you've got one, which means if you go into the game without going to set them up you're pretty much screwed and don't know why. Suppose it'd probably be comfier playing with a pad though.

Was going to post all the keys and stuff but looks like Sushi just did them. Oh well, same result
Old 2006-08-04, 12:01   Link #30
Takeru
Jag äter idioter
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to Takeru
thx, I was thinking that the 1,2,3,4,ect. meant the 1,2,3,4,ect. at the top of the keyboard.
Old 2006-08-04, 19:58   Link #31
Varion
殲滅天使

In other news, it looks like the official site's updated with a bunch of designs for what appears to be the consumer port. Not everyone's up yet, but most of them are.

http://oyashirosama.com/web/item/game.htm

Dunno what everyone else thinks but I really like them
Old 2006-08-04, 20:24   Link #32
Hanatori
Yarr.

It's less head and hair than I'm used to, but indeed, great designs. XD
Hanatori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-04, 21:09   Link #33
Shizen

woohoo, Shion got black high socks!!!
Shizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-04, 23:35   Link #34
chrno_the_sinner

That looks really good. I wish I had a modded PS2. The designs look 10.5x better than the anime. As unlikely as it is, I hope that the consumer port goes to the PC again (as redundant as it is). Otherwise, I think it might finally be time to take the step and get a loader disc for my PS2.

But it isn't confirmed for PS2 is it? I recall someone here saying it's just the "consumer port" for now. Or has that changed?
chrno_the_sinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-05, 02:18   Link #35
Varion
殲滅天使

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrno_the_sinner
That looks really good. I wish I had a modded PS2. The designs look 10.5x better than the anime. As unlikely as it is, I hope that the consumer port goes to the PC again (as redundant as it is). Otherwise, I think it might finally be time to take the step and get a loader disc for my PS2.

But it isn't confirmed for PS2 is it? I recall someone here saying it's just the "consumer port" for now. Or has that changed?
As far as I know (from the oyashirosama site, Alchemist's site and Sushi-Y's posts here) it's still just the 'consumer port', but while it's not confirmed for definite it seems extremely likely. Most visual novel-type console ports seem to end up on the PS2, a PC version would come into conflict with the original sound novels, and that leaves us with... a handheld, Gamecube or Xbox? The first two would probably have issues with storing anything of this length, and the Xbox? In Japan? You've got to be joking. So, the likely conclusion is the PS2. This is also what the wiki says, but I'm not sure who edited that part in and it should probably be taken as speculation too.

However, yeah, as far as I know it's not confirmed what format the consumer port will be. Wouldn't get your hopes up too much though.
Old 2006-08-18, 12:56   Link #36
LuckyCat
Wise Kitty Cat

How did you guys stumble upon this game anyway? Did you watch the anime/read the manga and decide to play through the game, or did you have the good fortune to pick up the game awhile back and get into all this before it became popular?
LuckyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-18, 13:24   Link #37
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiosai
How did you guys stumble upon this game anyway? Did you watch the anime/read the manga and decide to play through the game, or did you have the good fortune to pick up the game awhile back and get into all this before it became popular?
Well, first of all it was immensely popular by the time Tatarigoroshi-hen came out several years ago, so I jumped on the bandwagon back then. After that I was instantaneously hooked.

It's not good fortune - it's just that the average Japanese otaku knew about it years before and while no otaku outside of Japan cared less until it became animated.

It's the same cycle with everything:

1. [insert game title here] immensely popular in Japan
2. foreign fans disses it as being an ero/bishoujo game (or in the case of Higurashi - judging by the art designs alone)
3. anime comes along and becomes popular, and people start asking the same redundant question "is their [sic] an English patch for this game lol"
4. Japanese otakus have already moved on to something else
5. repeat cycle from 1 again

Besides (before the forum crashed) the original Higurashi thread was started way back last year. The only people active in that thread were me and Sushi-Y, with particularly ZERO interest from anyone else.

Last edited by kj1980; 2006-08-18 at 16:04.
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-18, 14:25   Link #38
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

I think I first became interested in this just after Meakashi-hen came out in Comiket 67 (winter 2004). The game was already pretty popular back then, with coverages in magazines and game news sites. I began to see Higurashi related talks/arts on some of the personal doujin artist sites I visit as well, which got my interest. I went to the official site, downloaded the demo, and here I am now.
Old 2006-08-18, 18:28   Link #39
Chinomi
Amateur Voice Actress

Send a message via AIM to Chinomi Send a message via MSN to Chinomi
From two of the four people behind 4kids:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=K5UfIRmkv28

----

Spoiler:
Chinomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-18, 21:13   Link #40
Varion
殲滅天使

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinomi
From two of the four people behind 4kids:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=K5UfIRmkv28

----

Spoiler:
Legendary. I haven't laughed so hard in days

Doesn't really seem to fit in this topic though, but then again I'm not sure where it does fit. Still hilarious though.