AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-05-06, 03:04   Link #1121
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Great ep, on the whole, even without epic amounts of action.
Spoiler for 30:
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-06, 08:38   Link #1122
Toto y Moi
Amor Fati

The battle between Gon vs. Gido isn't the most important part of the episode. All it does is explain that Gon naturally learned Zetsu during the Hunter Exam arc; it's more of him reusing a technique we've seen him do before. Thus, the animation was fairly lackluster. But the animation quality significantly improved starting from Killua's conversation with Wing. Look at the framerate and the motion from thence point onward. Both that scene and Kurapika's segment are well-animated because they're what matter more in the end.

One more thing: Crunchyroll mistranslated a line that is extremely crucial in setting the tone of the series from thence onward. Instead of Wing saying "I may have awakened an incredible beast," he clearly says "unstoppable beast." I'm actually quite surprised that it was mistranslated to such a degree. The former line implies a positive tone, whereas the latter? Well, those eerie choirs were placed during Gon and Killua's meditation scene for a reason.
Toto y Moi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-06, 10:36   Link #1123
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto y Moi View Post
One more thing: Crunchyroll mistranslated a line that is extremely crucial in setting the tone of the series from thence onward. Instead of Wing saying "I may have awakened an incredible beast," he clearly says "unstoppable beast." I'm actually quite surprised that it was mistranslated to such a degree. The former line implies a positive tone, whereas the latter? Well, those eerie choirs were placed during Gon and Killua's meditation scene for a reason.
To be honest, I think the intent of that line came across just fine. That's certainly how I took it.
Old 2012-05-06, 11:42   Link #1124
ookamigirl

Gon's fight with Gido and his spinning tops was intense.
Seems like that kid really learns fast!
Wing sure is a serious teacher & Killua is a true friend ^^
Loolks like even Kurapika will get a chance to learn more about Nen.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-06, 12:43   Link #1125
Toto y Moi
Amor Fati

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
To be honest, I think the intent of that line came across just fine. That's certainly how I took it.
Oh, then that's good!

Killua's conversation with Wing is one of my favorite moments in the early parts of the series. This is one of those times in which Togashi spells out that he's been misleading his readers. Killua talks about both he and Gon's original intent in coming to Heavens Arena: to gain money and to get strong enough to fight Hisoka. But Gon's battle with Gido marked something entirely different.

If you remember Gon's first encounter with Hisoka, the boy wordlessly charged forth with an alert expression on his face. Despite his best efforts, he fails in his pursuit and is captured by the Bailaor. But Gon is spared. When discussing his feelings about the situation with Kurapika, Gon makes an odd statement. Though he was caught between the lines of life and death, this was no issue to him. He felt fear...but it also made him excited.

Gon wasn't thinking about fighting Hisoka--he was relishing in the fight. And consequently, who doesn't love fighting more than Hisoka? The two characters are extremely similar to each other in their desires. They love combat for the feeling it gives them; the thrill of it all.

"This way, I still can fight!"

However, there was a moment that I'm surprised Madhouse didn't adapt. Throughout this entire fight, Gon shivers at the prospect of fighting more. It gives him a physical rush. If you'll remember, he did the same thing while thinking of the challenge Hisoka would provide in the fourth phase.

But interestingly enough, Madhouse chooses to show Hisoka trembling at the prospect of fighting Gon.

Learning Nen marked a change in Gon that's starting to become more perceptible. Wing's "What have I done?" moment is significant because he understands how dangerous Nen is. Gon, however? Plays with his life in order to get better at it. Keep watching for more.
Toto y Moi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-06, 13:01   Link #1126
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Wing's seems happy to have to potential beasts as students. Like how Gon knew to practice ten without Killua having to tell him. So now Kurapika will learn nen. So i'm guessing that's the last part of the exam. Though i wonder if Leorio will learn it. He's busy studying so i doubt he'll run into someone that will tell him.
Old 2012-05-06, 15:20   Link #1127
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
This was an interesting episode to just get a better understanding of Gon. Even though the result cost him a lot in terms of injuries he didn't care long as he could stay in that fight for as long as possible. Seeing how into the fight Gon gets is definitely frightening in some ways.

At least it proves how well suited Gon and Killua are to be friends. In the end Killua won't take an extra step without Gon. Besides will have time to wait before having to enter a 200 level battle himself.

Kurapika got lucky anyways in who she ran into. Easily could have 'failed' the exam right there, but now will have a chance to learn and be ready. With Leorio...well I suppose he doesn't care long as he can sell that license off.
Old 2012-05-06, 19:07   Link #1128
VnsFurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto y Moi View Post
Gon wasn't thinking about fighting Hisoka--he was relishing in the fight. And consequently, who doesn't love fighting more than Hisoka? The two characters are extremely similar to each other in their desires. They love combat for the feeling it gives them; the thrill of it all."
I think this parallel between Gon and Hisoka has been hinted at ever since the first time they met, and, in a weird way, it almost seems like they're becoming rivals.
It's a pretty interesting relationship for these two characters to have, and also, a very weird one to have.

This was a really good episode, especially its latter half.
I'm glad Killua decided to wait to train until Gon has recovered, which I think is so awesome. I really love their friendship and the way they relate to each other.

The next episode should prove to be very interesting.
VnsFurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-06, 19:52   Link #1129
vansonbee
❤Ichigo 100%❤

I kind of wanted a small fight scene between Kurapika and his new master.

Can someone inform me regarding those 200 floor guys (top, wheel chair, mask), are they crippled in someway? Was it because when they were noobs, the Nen of the 200 floor destroyed their bodies or someone with Nen crippled them?
Old 2012-05-06, 21:02   Link #1130
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansonbee View Post
I kind of wanted a small fight scene between Kurapika and his new master.

Can someone inform me regarding those 200 floor guys (top, wheel chair, mask), are they crippled in someway? Was it because when they were noobs, the Nen of the 200 floor destroyed their bodies or someone with Nen crippled them?
My interpretation was that they were crippled when they got the newbie attack from the 200s veterans. So in effect, Hisoka did the guys a huge favor by scaring them off before the same happened to them. My guess is he doesn't want anyone else damaging his prize before he's ready to do so himself.
Old 2012-05-07, 04:45   Link #1131
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansonbee View Post
Can someone inform me regarding those 200 floor guys (top, wheel chair, mask), are they crippled in someway?
The first two can't walk. (In fact, top has no legs. Just one peg leg to spin on.) Mask lost an arm.

Quote:
Was it because when they were noobs, the Nen of the 200 floor destroyed their bodies or someone with Nen crippled them?
Pretty much. They got in a fight with a nen user (like Gon with Top) but didn't have any nen of their own, and it crippled them.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-12, 06:43   Link #1132
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

One thing that's always interesting. While Gon and Killua have scary potential, usually what makes the people around them shit their pants isn't their power or potential, it's their attitude.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-12, 12:15   Link #1133
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
This has to be just about one of the greatest training arcs I've seen in a while...possibly ever. So much goes into giving the idea that something monumental is happening by these wandering teachers awaking these high potential Nen users in Gon, Killua and now apparently Kurapika too. It makes it feel like more than just a throwaway training arc and more like an important part of the overall journey which is how it should be.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-12, 12:29   Link #1134
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

If you like that kind of training arc, you're in for a treat later.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-13, 00:14   Link #1135
Funkatron
Highly irregular

Lol @ the censorship this episode. Sparkle wounds ftw.

Also Kastro knows Kage Bushin no jutsu and Wolf Fang Fist
Funkatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-13, 00:35   Link #1136
leokiko

Yep...sparkle wounds. I guess York Shin was already settled to be worse than the 1999 version, but it still made me sad to see that.

At least the animation is still very awesome.

Last edited by leokiko; 2012-05-13 at 02:06.
leokiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-13, 00:51   Link #1137
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Was that a frosty mug of beer Gon was enjoying with his 11 chickens?
Old 2012-05-13, 01:08   Link #1138
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.

like i said in my past post this start the meassuring point, i can understand that the wound in the arm was shiny, i think that was the point of we seeing the aura of the characters most of the episode, but if the best they can do is turn blood into glitter this is really gonna suck later on, i mean they could have just showed a silhouette or a beam of ligth, but they wen for the silliest thing... i hope they get clever with censoraship like in some scenes they already done, if not this is gonna suck, but in the first place who putted at sunday 10 am the grisliest manga SJ has in this moment?
Old 2012-05-13, 02:07   Link #1139
leokiko

@zeniselv
I agree, it was...very weird, I guess Hisoka's so strong that the inside of his arm shines, lol

Btw, your signature is one big HxH spoiler xD
leokiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-13, 02:13   Link #1140
vansonbee
❤Ichigo 100%❤

Spoiler for censore blood?:

If we buy the blue ray version, there no censoreship?

Tags
action, shounen