AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-07-04, 10:28   Link #1
mangatron
worshipping the pantyhose

Swot

Title:
SWOT
Genre:
Action/Comedy/Romance/School Life/Shounen
Author:
Sugita Naoya
Description:
Spoiler:

Mangaupdates:
http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=52550

Hmm, actually that description needs a little work, but it's not like I run the site >_>

So I'll be completely honest here, shounen is not really my genre for reasons unspecified, but school life, romance and comedy is, which is something SWOT brings to the table. I, like many other readers, feel betrayed by Medaka Box in that how it started (and again, the description) isn't exactly how it went later on, so I'm rested assured that SWOT is a no-bs secret that fighting will be present in this manga. Since shounen isn't really my genre, probably what drew me to this manga is how much I can relate to the lead male, the "I don't want to be bothered while I'm brainstorming" as well as the grand aspirations of world beneficial inventions (as I've always believed in the variant of 'what man is a man who cannot change the world'), though considering my reputation in this forum I'll leave it to you guys on how zany I am in comparison to the lead male

Does it carry it's comedy well? Considering the lead male, yes. Does it have nice fight scenes? Well, it's only one chapter so far so make that the example of things to come (but in my opinion it's well done). What about the romance? Smart meets not-so-smart, which is sure to bring about some interesting interactions between the two, so I'm looking forward to that.

Let's hope they don't pull a reverse Medaka Box and have a complete lull in fighting somewhere 19 chapters in

Last edited by mangatron; 2010-07-04 at 13:56. Reason: Added a more appropriate image instead of the old one
Old 2010-07-04, 11:29   Link #2
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
I can't believe this is in WSJ =0\. Well, it's certainly not bad, though the oneshot was a bit better at managing most of the scenes,specifically with Kyou's motivation(only being NASA instead of all the alien crap. aliens? really?) and love interest which was more obvious to the lackey, but it was still basically the same. It was still an interesting premise with beating ppl up because of wanting to study. I thought it was nicely played out except his love interest, which was a bit TOO cliche. I also like how his ass kicking ability is the result of his multiple calculations of the enemy's speed, movement, attack algorithms, etc. rather than simple fighting ability. Hopefully it can keep this pace, I really see it falling to the bottom after some chapters.

I don't think Nene is "stupid" per se(i know you said "not-so-smart", which is different), she simply said she wasn't smart because she spent all of her time fighting. I HATE the lackey though, as I hate most lackeys. Ichiban Ushiro Dai Maou's Hiroshi was EXACTLY like this, and it's really annoying =0\. Oh, and the main char reminded me physically of Ichigo, though I don't know why.
Old 2010-07-04, 11:37   Link #3
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
I can't believe this is in WSJ =0\. Hopefully it can keep this pace, I really see it falling to the bottom after some chapters.
Yeah probably get canceled in ten weeks time like nearly every other series in the last 18 months aside from Kuroko, Beezlebub, Medaka and for the moment Hokenshitsu no Shinigami. Heck Metallica Metalluca and Shikku are already in the bottom 5...

I just checked and the new TOC is out, 2 weeks in a row in the bottom 5 for Metallica and Shikku, good bye to both.

Issue 32 Bottom 5:
Sket Dance
Psyren
Metallica
Kuroko
Shonen Shikku
Old 2010-07-04, 11:44   Link #4
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Well, I was hoping this would get a serialization and here we have it, I liked this much more than Lock On when I read the oneshots.
There seems to be a few changes here and there, notably the guy's hair is red but it was white in the OS and Husano has changed in appearance alittle as well and for the better I may add.
Also I like how they did the meeting this time around, her wanting his help for studying is better than before.
One thing I'm not too keen on is the pipsqueak, not too fond of his kind but I can put up with it easily enough.

All in all, it gets off to a good start and I'm looking forward to more.
Old 2010-07-04, 11:46   Link #5
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

Hmmm, I'm betting for 50 chapters before it get axed, like all other promising jump series that get cut before :P

Well, joking aside, it was a good first chapter and I can't wait to see more before commenting further ^^
Old 2010-07-04, 11:49   Link #6
mangatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
I also like how his ass kicking ability is the result of his multiple calculations of the enemy's speed, movement, attack algorithms, etc. rather than simple fighting ability.
Yeah, what was that saying or something, like "ones brain can be their strength", which he did it nicely.

Quote:
I don't think Nene is "stupid" per se(i know you said "not-so-smart", which is different), she simply said she wasn't smart because she spent all of her time fighting.
I was about to emphasize that part but internet probs are slowing me down, but basically I meant that, compared to his level, both she and the lackey aren't as smart [as he is], thereby having quite a thick line between smart|not-so-smart. Luckily I didn't call her stupid, as I see she cared enough for her goals in life to be quite smarter than that lackey (honestly I forgot his name, not good with male names LOL) I'll just stick to your method, "lackey"

Quote:
I HATE the lackey though, as I hate most lackeys. Ichiban Ushiro Dai Maou's Hiroshi was EXACTLY like this, and it's really annoying =0\.
Hahaheh, Heroshi Miwa. Kind of like getting a free ride with a powerful person, although I see SWOT's lackey also being a cupid. Not sure if that'll be his redemption, though.
Old 2010-07-04, 16:28   Link #7
Somnus
Eh?

I thought I'd check out this new manga, but I'm not quite sure if I want to read another battle manga.

*Looks at Hasuno*

I approve.
Wait, what was this manga about again?
Old 2010-07-04, 17:08   Link #8
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonta Kun View Post
One thing I'm not too keen on is the pipsqueak, not too fond of his kind but I can put up with it easily enough.
I just hope we see some development for him eventually, because he's the only one who didn't really do much in this first chapter.

But yeah i like it, though can't see it lasting very long. Hasuno is very nice on the eyes though, and has an adorable personality. I'm hoping for plenty of her in the weeks to come.
Old 2010-07-04, 17:25   Link #9
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Read the first chapter and didn't like it.
Old 2010-07-11, 11:30   Link #10
Somnus
Eh?

Chapter 2 is out.

It uses a lot of the same formula, but I'm enjoying it nontheless. Still don't like the little guy though, even if it would be boring without him.
Old 2010-07-11, 13:59   Link #11
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

At least he's growing a little bit thanks to this chapter. Just hope he doesn't stand in the way of enjoying future chapters.
Old 2010-07-11, 14:37   Link #12
Lamar
Ippiki Ookami

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLGChaos View Post
Read the first chapter and didn't like it.
I agree, i liked the Oneshot way better though. Only thing i didn't like what that guys Weapon (Scythe thingy). I don't like how it was changed from NASA to UFO's, and how it was changed from him calculating stuff, to him being able to fight aliens when they come. With that being said i'm going to keep reading, but i do see this staying at the bottom and getting the bucket.
Old 2010-07-11, 17:34   Link #13
mangatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamar View Post
[B][COLOR="Blue"]...and how it was changed from him calculating stuff,...
Isn't he ...still calculating? A nice thing about these fights (so far) is that he's using his enemy's weakness against them, which is a great complement to these delinquents who are all brawn first brains second, while he is all brains first and brawn second.

They can really make this more win if they have more frequent Hasuno involvement (oh well maybe not too much)

Where'd that hard hat come from? (it was just lying there!) By the way, tell me I'm not the only one to think about Megaman when seeing that hard hat >___>
Old 2010-07-11, 17:49   Link #14
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
guh, chap 2 was quite cliche and boring. Needs more Hasu. I hope it's not going to build into a "let's make the most powerful gang in the prefect" type story.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangatron View Post
Isn't he ...still calculating?

Where'd that hard hat come from? (it was just lying there!) By the way, tell me I'm not the only one to think about Megaman when seeing that hard hat >___>
Yeah, but they added the reason for him wanting to be able to do that was because he might have to fight aliens =0\. The oneshot didn't give him any pretext for being able to fight.

You're not the only one . I was gonna mention it earlier, but I forgot that enemy's name(metatal?).
Old 2010-07-11, 19:32   Link #15
mangatron

Ah, I see. I do wonder why the change from NASA to UFO's. Guess we can chalk that up to another of the "editors" decision thing.

Also, the name is Mettaur. I consider that the "Goomba" of the Megaman universe
Old 2010-07-11, 19:54   Link #16
Lamar
Ippiki Ookami

Quote:
Isn't he ...still calculating? A nice thing about these fights (so far) is that he's using his enemy's weakness against them, which is a great complement to these delinquents who are all brawn first brains second, while he is all brains first and brawn second.

They can really make this more win if they have more frequent Hasuno involvement (oh well maybe not too much)

I think you could work more with calculating that just learning how to fight. What if the aliens had guns? Can't just punch the bullets can you? I think calculating the trajectory and stuff like that would be so much better. And being a SWOT always studying and stuff you should be good at math, that's another thing that fit in and with the whole thing. How does he know for sure he will come in contact with aliens and stuff? But it's to late for that. We'll see how far this goes. Not "too badd" so far.
Old 2010-07-11, 20:48   Link #17
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Honestly while the manga says he's "calculating" all his fights I don't really buy it. Seems like it's just an excuse for him to beat people up with super saiyan hits "because he's calculating the perfect ratio of blahblah to blahblah." He comes off to me like your averaged short-fused golden-hearted delinquent guy much more than a genuine so-haxx-the-world-gets-pwn'd kind of nerd.

Too bad. Actually using clever tactics to compensate (like in Mx0 for example) would have been so much cooler than this boring WSJ beat 'em up, though also much harder to write I guess.
Old 2010-07-11, 21:24   Link #18
mangatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
Honestly while the manga says he's "calculating" all his fights I don't really buy it. Seems like it's just an excuse for him to beat people up with super saiyan hits "because he's calculating the perfect ratio of blahblah to blahblah." He comes off to me like your averaged short-fused golden-hearted delinquent guy much more than a genuine so-haxx-the-world-gets-pwn'd kind of nerd.
Well, it's still early in the series, and it's not like we've seen his training sessions. By the way, it's easy to predict the boxing move, it's the Fleet guy's fault for not guarding his left.

Quote:
Too bad. Actually using clever tactics to compensate (like in Mx0 for example) would have been so much cooler than this boring WSJ beat 'em up, though also much harder to write I guess.
I'm not too sure about the Mx0 example there. I mean, they use magic in that series, so the author sure had to come up with some interesting ways to use it instead of the bland zap bif boom. And, I probably would see the example if what's-his-name-lead-male stayed magic-less forever. This SWOT guy is just.... using his book, so there's nothing special there either
Old 2010-07-11, 21:54   Link #19
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

2nd chapter is ok, I somehow get the feeling the author is trolling us with the lackey, seems he knows they are a unwanted curse yet just throws him in for fun of it>_<
All the talk about being weak and all was meh but glad we got it outta the way for now and hopefully for good but I doubt that.

What we really need is more Hasu-chan, she's probably the biggest appeal of the series atm and god knows we need more of her right now.

Overall I'm still not too fond of some changes from the onehsot, some seem rather unnessary but there a few nice ones, mostly being Hasu-chan.
Old 2010-07-11, 22:16   Link #20
mangatron

[QUOTE=Bonta Kun;3135297]All the talk about being weak and all was meh but glad we got it outta the way for now and hopefully for good but I doubt that.[quote]

I mentioned earlier of how he might play cupid between Manabizaki and Hasuno, I would say I prefer that than the talk about being weak and self reflection of his past. hmmm...

Quote:
What we really need is more Hasu-chan, she's probably the biggest appeal of the series atm and god knows we need more of her right now.

Overall I'm still not too fond of some changes from the onehsot, some seem rather unnessary but there a few nice ones, mostly being Hasu-chan.
Really would like to see more Hasuno-chan. I agree too, for Hasuno, I prefer this hairstyle than the oneshot.

I should also note that so far we're just seeing regular delinquents who have no super secret power or what not, so it at least stands a bit further from those type of manga.
Closed Thread

Tags
action, comedy, romance, school life, shounen