AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2007-06-09, 21:37   Link #41
DarkT
Banned

Demo-demo... Nicholi-san... I already said that it's just to satisfy my own curiousity of who uses what :-), there's a limit to my sillynes... I think... >.> - nyaaa .

Meow... 04:36... I'm'a go to bed now... Thanks for the advice and all .
DarkT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-10, 00:36   Link #42
Starks
I see what you did there!
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Starks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholi View Post
Yes...popular opinion polls of course make the most sense from an encoder's perspective. Because we all know popular opinion makes an encoder faster/better/stronger/harder. lulz. Lets just forget the whole testing theory and ask people which encoder they feel is best. Decide with your heart!
The same could be said about Aegisub and competing software...

Full disclosure: I use Aegisub.
Old 2007-06-12, 14:43   Link #43
CupORamen
Retired Fansubber
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkT View Post
AviSynth 2.5.7
AVSP
VDUB+VDUBMOD
MeGui
Lagarith+xvid(koepi's)
MKVToolNix+MKVExtract
Avi TC pack
DGMPGDEC
DVDDECRYPTER
AEGISUB
SUBRIP
ANYDVD
Winrar
G-Spot
Winamp-lite
QuickTime+Real Alternative
BeSweet+BeSweetGUI
IRC+Utorrent
Why are these listed:
IRC+Utorrent+Winrar+Quicktime+Real Alternative

Why do you need ANYDVD if you are using DVD Decrypter?

Whne you refer to SUBRIP I guess you aren't talking about fansub encoding.

WTF? G-Spot? Avi TC pack? X.x...

Why would you even NEED VDub Mod?

Where is mencoder?

For the most part it's a good list, but there are some good tools you are missing out on and some on there that you could find something better to use...
CupORamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-12, 14:58   Link #44
DarkT
Banned

IRC/Utorrent - to acquire RAWS (noobs like me don't use winny/share).
Winrar - to unpack filters
Quicktime ALTERNATIVE+Real ALTERNATIVE(not quick time/real player - "hax" of those) - actually, I just threw those two just for kicks and giggles .
ANYDVD for the different regions of DVDS, I dunno if dvddecrypter cares about those or not - never googled it, so I just go safe and use AnyDVD + DVD decrypter.
SubRIP - if I do it from US dvds, tl'ers sometimes find it easier to have a text file with all the English lines.
Avi_TC pack - triticals, you know, the one which goes "Insert AVI which has null frames" ---> Output: Timecodes/Decimated .avi... Essential when you have 120fps .avi raws.
Vdubmod - can open stuff vdub can't and then extract audio(as far as I remember)
G-Spot, just a general tool to check your files, and insert the info into the title and stuff...

Mencoder? What's that? .

Meow... That's about it...

I'm surprised you didn't ask about winamp .
Old 2007-06-12, 15:12   Link #45
CupORamen
Retired Fansubber
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
IRC/Utorrent - to acquire RAWS (noobs like me don't use winny/share).
Winrar - to unpack filters
Still has nothing to do with "encoding"...
Quote:
ANYDVD for the different regions of DVDS, I dunno if dvddecrypter cares about those or not - never googled it, so I just go safe and use AnyDVD + DVD decrypter.
DVD Decrypter will brute force dump it if it's another region.

Quote:
ISubRIP - if I do it from US dvds, tl'ers sometimes find it easier to have a text file with all the English lines.
You are starting to get into stuff that I think is breaking the rules of the forum :P!

Quote:
Avi_TC pack - triticals, you know, the one which goes "Insert AVI which has null frames" ---> Output: Timecodes/Decimated .avi... Essential when you have 120fps .avi raws.
IC, I've never done a VFR from a 120fps avi, most 120fps AVIs I've worked with were decimated to 23.976fps for the final encode (they were not actually VFR, or they wanted its NOT 120fps nor did they want it MKV/MP4).

Quote:
Vdubmod - can open stuff vdub can't and then extract audio(as far as I remember)
There are MUCH better tools, Vdubmod is a piece of junk IMO...

Quote:
Mencoder? What's that? .
Was original made for linux, it comes with mplayer (command prompt media player) and is a command prompt encoder. Can be used for making VFR MKVs to 120fps AVIs. Can also dump audio to PCM and can dump the video streams from rare formats (such as videos used inside of PSP games, random I know, but it can be done!).

Quote:
I'm surprised you didn't ask about winamp .
MP3 VBR to WAV right?
Old 2007-06-12, 15:31   Link #46
DarkT
Banned

Quote:
Still has nothing to do with "encoding"...
In a normal group? I'd agree, but Israeli groups are mostly noobish - so, while I encode, I also get raws by myself - and many will need to too :-), hence it's there.

Quote:
DVD Decrypter will brute force dump it if it's another region.
Sounds nasty and time consuming, why bother? AnyDVD is teh rox .

Quote:
You are starting to get into stuff that I think is breaking the rules of the forum :P!
Subrip = breaking the rules? If I own a dvd in English, and make my own Subs in Hebrew - there's nothing wrong with using SubRip - I think...

Quote:
most 120fps AVIs I've worked with were decimated to 23.976fps for the final encode (they were not actually VFR, or they wanted its NOT 120fps nor did they want it MKV/MP4).
Ahhh, see, that's where we differ, Last time I did REC into 4:3 - even though it's prolly wrong - all other groups did 16:9, I did what I though was right - and no matter what who asked me - I still did what I wanted, as an encoder - everything video/audio/container related is my own damn business and I will not take orders about that from nobody .

Quote:
There are MUCH better tools, Vdubmod is a piece of junk IMO...
Yes, somebody recommended "avidemux" or something like that to me - well, being new means not knowing lots of stuff - hence I post what I do know - so that I can get corrected/suggestions - BTW, you didn't suggest an alternative .

Quote:
MP3 VBR to WAV right?
Nah, not really, just for kicks and giggles - hehehe, as an encoder I listen to music while I encode, so I included it there - see, it gets me in the mood - so it's totally related hehehehe... Plus the latest version plays .it / .xm / .s3m / .mod files - and then can output to WAV, which then can be BeSweeted into whatever I want .

Edit:

Added the quotes TAG .
Old 2007-06-12, 15:45   Link #47
CupORamen
Retired Fansubber
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
In a normal group? I'd agree, but Israeli groups are mostly noobish - so, while I encode, I also get raws by myself - and many will need to too :-), hence it's there.
Point taken (I guess...)

Quote:
Sounds nasty and time consuming, why bother? AnyDVD is teh rox .
Nah, runs at the same speed, just brings up a message "OH NOES! WRONG REGION CODE! WILL BRUTE FORCE!" only...not so juvenile !

Quote:
Subrip = breaking the rules? If I own a dvd in English, and make my own Subs in Hebrew - there's nothing wrong with using SubRip - I think...
I'm just assuming since the forum goes by not "fansubbing" anything licensed for release in the US...

Quote:
Ahhh, see, that's where we differ, Last time I did REC into 4:3 - even though it's prolly wrong - all other groups did 16:9, I did what I though was right - and no matter what who asked me - I still did what I wanted, as an encoder - everything video/audio/container related is my own damn business and I will not take orders about that from nobody .

For mainstream TV Rip releases, the groups I've been in ALWAYS wanted an AVI CFR release for the masses (as they avoid other formats) because all they were concerned about was numbers...very rarely would I do another version unless it was a DVD Rip.

Quote:
Yes, somebody recommended "avidemux" or something like that to me - well, being new means not knowing lots of stuff - hence I post what I do know - so that I can get corrected/suggestions - BTW, you didn't suggest an alternative .
Depends on what you are demuxing, no matter what you use it will drop the last 2 seconds (not noticable unless there is audio to the last minute), you CAN use vdub to dump it with direct stream copy...there is a trick to it but I won't go into a paragraph to explain.

Quote:
Nah, not really, just for kicks and giggles - hehehe, as an encoder I listen to music while I encode, so I included it there - see, it gets me in the mood - so it's totally related hehehehe... Plus the latest version plays .it / .xm / .s3m / .mod files - and then can output to WAV, which then can be BeSweeted into whatever I want .
Heh...well you CAN technically use it to convert a VBR MP3 to WAV (and not messing up the timecode).
Old 2007-06-12, 15:53   Link #48
DarkT
Banned

Quote:
I'm just assuming since the forum goes by not "fansubbing" anything licensed for release in the US...
Naturally that makes sense, since that would mean pirate a product which already exists... BUT... I'm only in Israeli fansubbing groups, so US licensing has little to do with that - you expect kiddies to read English subs? Meow... Hence I sort of think it's ok - well, if any mod thinks it's wrong I hope I'll get a notice or something and I'll just edit it out...

then again, I did remove my group's site - since we do Hellsing OVA... I sort of felt it COULD somehow be against forum rules... Anyway, I'm still not quite clear about it...Since we do it in Hebrew... Meow... Dunno... 'suppose I'll have to ask mods .

Quote:
For mainstream TV Rip releases, the groups I've been in ALWAYS wanted an AVI CFR release for the masses (as they avoid other formats) because all they were concerned about was numbers...very rarely would I do another version unless it was a DVD Rip.
Meow, dunno man - I wouldn't touch a .avi release with a 3-foot stick - well, ok, I would - but anyway - I wouldn't encode one... It sounds perverse... EVEN FOR ME... >.> Meow... heheh .

Quote:
Depends on what you are demuxing, no matter what you use it will drop the last 2 seconds (not noticable unless there is audio to the last minute), you CAN use vdub to dump it with direct stream copy...there is a trick to it but I won't go into a paragraph to explain.
Meh, creating an .avisynth script with audio enabled I SUPPOSE... Dunno...

Quote:
Heh...well you CAN technically use it to convert a VBR MP3 to WAV (and not messing up the timecode).
Lol, dunno man - I look at winamp as a music "player" if I can avoid using it as a "converter" or "music exporter" I will... It sort of feels wrong for me using it for non-playback stuff .
Old 2007-06-12, 15:55   Link #49
CupORamen
Retired Fansubber
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Lol, dunno man - I look at winamp as a music "player" if I can avoid using it as a "converter" or "music exporter" I will... It sort of feels wrong for me using it for non-playback stuff .
LOL, well that was the "trick" "back in the day"...lol, geez that makes me feel old !
Old 2007-06-12, 16:02   Link #50
Nicholi
King of Hosers

/me is quite positive there has always been a CLI available since "back in the day" to decode/encode stuff...
Nicholi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-12, 16:08   Link #51
DarkT
Banned

You mean with regards to Winamp? Hmmm, dunno - if there was one, I've never noticed it .
Old 2007-06-12, 17:17   Link #52
Nicholi
King of Hosers

No I meant a real app for encoding/decoding audio. Not Winamp...only weirdos used that :P.
Nicholi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-12, 17:33   Link #53
DarkT
Banned

Nyaaaaa , BeSweet has a CLI... Though I cheat and use the GUI! Buhahahaha .

Though I dunno how old that stuff is, since I'm only ~3-4 months into this... .
Old 2007-06-12, 18:00   Link #54
CupORamen
Retired Fansubber
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
/me is quite positive there has always been a CLI available since "back in the day" to decode/encode stuff...
Let's see, what's quicker, open a GUI, change output to WAV, open file, done, or....open command prompt, browse to directory, possibly have to move the file, type in long line on the prompt, hit enter, done...

Quote:
No I meant a real app for encoding/decoding audio.
Winamp output the sound to WAV, it worked, therefore it was real, otherwise there would not have been an output. I could understand the slander if I were encoding to MP3 or other COMPRESSED formats using it, but to format the audio to PCM, there is nothing wrong with that smartass...

Quote:
Not Winamp...only weirdos used that :P.
No technical comments so you have to resort to calling people weird on a forum to make yourself feel "smart"? How about you contribute to the conversation instead of making up weird claims, why is it weird? What are the negative effects (there are none, but feel free to make some up)?

Quote:
Nyaaaaa , BeSweet has a CLI... Though I cheat and use the GUI! Buhahahaha .

Though I dunno how old that stuff is, since I'm only ~3-4 months into this... .
I remember when that came out...that makes me feel old too ^_^;;;
Old 2007-06-12, 18:04   Link #55
DarkT
Banned

Now now, there's no need for that guys... Can't we all just get along? We can all get along REALL WELL , Errrm, in a manly way, naturally >.> ... <.<... Meow .

Hehehe... Anyway, we were just making fun of winamp on a non-technical not-really-serious sort of level meow , I fel a bit guilty coz' I was in it too, heck I started it .

Anyway... Let's move along meow .
Old 2007-06-12, 18:18   Link #56
Starks
*Scanlator

LOL @ the people who think Winny and Share are useless to an encoder...

I don't use torrented raws unless I can't find a better one on Winny or Share. Raw hunting, to me at least, is essential to the process. The cleaner the raw I can find, the less I have to filter and the easier the encoding task is.
Old 2007-06-12, 18:19   Link #57
Harukalover
In exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by l33tmeatwad View Post
or....open command prompt, browse to directory, possibly have to move the file, type in long line on the prompt, hit enter, done...
Hint: batch scripts

The rest is too lame to bother with and Nicholi always does a better job flaming anyway. Give us the humor of the King of Hosers!!!

Also DarkT please stop with the overusage of "Meow, Nyaa". They are just as annoying as the random "o.o" we see on a particular IRC channel all day long and are just as stupid.
Old 2007-06-12, 19:01   Link #58
Starks
*Scanlator

But as I was saying, raw hunting is integral to the process.
Old 2007-06-14, 15:34   Link #59
[darkfire]
Give them the What For!
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to [darkfire] Send a message via Yahoo to [darkfire]
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkt
then again, I did remove my group's site - since we do Hellsing OVA... I sort of felt it COULD somehow be against forum rules... Anyway, I'm still not quite clear about it...Since we do it in Hebrew... Meow... Dunno... 'suppose I'll have to ask mods .
It doesn't matter what language you sub in if its licensed in the us you cant talk about. And Hellsing is Finnanced by Geneon Entertainment USA. So consider it licensed even before it airs.
Old 2007-08-15, 21:33   Link #60
guess

Quote:
Hi,

I'm writing a starter's encoding guide(not really a guide, more like I'm organising my own "data" and coincidentally making it more usefull for others) for an Israeli community(a noob-for-noobs "guide" of sorts - me being some 3-4 months into encoding).

Here are the programs I have currently listed:

CCCP/Insurgent (something I recommend to everybody since many people run into playback problems)

AviSynth 2.5.7
AVSP
VDUB+VDUBMOD
MeGui
Lagarith+xvid(koepi's)
MKVToolNix+MKVExtract
Avi TC pack
DGMPGDEC
DVDDECRYPTER
AEGISUB
SUBRIP
ANYDVD
Winrar
G-Spot
Winamp-lite
QuickTime+Real Alternative
BeSweet+BeSweetGUI
IRC+Utorrent

That's it for now, can't really think of anything more...

Naturally, some progs here aren't too related/can be replaced - for example, I use lagarith for loseless passes, winrar for extraction, IRC/Utorrent for raws(if I need share/winny I ask a REAL raw provider) - winamp isn't even related, but I figure, I mostly listen to some nice tunes(from http://metamacro.com/modulez/sections/welcome.php and http://modarchive.org/index_1.php) while encoding, so why not include it? After all - it's nit a guide per-se, but a personalized organized data in the form of a guide .

Now then, what programs not on the list do YOU guys and gals of the encoding faculty find usefull? I didn't specify programs I didn't have experience with yet, liek for example Graph-something which is used for wmv files, or let's say mp4-box or something similiar, which I didn't use - but anything might be usefull, advice on better alternatives would be appritiated as well...

Eww... Made a long post... Sowwy .

Edit:

Removed the group's site, since we did 2 episodes of hellsing ultimate, which isn't on animesuki - so prolly is licensed - and even though we do it in Hebrew(so the English licensing doesn't "really" apply) I figured 's better play it safe...

Edit:

Certain codecs pack removed due to possible legality issues which I didn't know existed when I opened the thread up.
So... which one is the video edit program? I don't suppose everyone can afford adobe premiere.