AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

View Poll Results: Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha The MOVIE 1st - rating
Perfect 10 61 43.88%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 42 30.22%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 8.63%
7 out of 10 : Good 17 12.23%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 1.44%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.72%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.72%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 2.16%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-04-07, 17:56   Link #1401
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
It's kind of hard to forget about the first season when the plot for the movie follows it practically to a T.
Old 2010-04-07, 18:33   Link #1402
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

That's why you're trying to forget the first season. It's not uncommon to forget a lot about something after a long period of not viewing it. Even I didn't remember everything about it after my most recent viewing...and you know how fan obsessed I am over it.
Old 2010-04-07, 19:01   Link #1403
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

What is there to really forget about season one? It was probably the simplest and most direct season out of the whole franchise, very straightforward in its storytelling and characterization.
Old 2010-04-07, 19:32   Link #1404
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

It's hard to forget how the series ends or the premise behind it. However, it's very easy to forget the scenes in between.
Mix that with the fact the (movie) battles take place at different locations and a lot can seem fresh after a long period of not viewing.
Old 2010-04-07, 19:34   Link #1405
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

What scenes between? Season one was hardly that complicated, and the movie cuts out a lot of those "between scenes" for the sake of storytelling.
Old 2010-04-07, 19:45   Link #1406
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

All the scenes that are not the climax, lol.

Doesn't take a complicated series to force you to forget some stuff. With enough time, things are forgotten.
Old 2010-04-07, 19:46   Link #1407
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

But I'm saying, what is so hard to remember about those? There's no reason to forget them, since half of them will probably be cut from the movie anyway to fit the time limit. There's no reason to forget season one before watching season one, because season one was never that complicated anyway.
Old 2010-04-07, 20:38   Link #1408
Nya~n
umbrella moe~♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi. View Post
All the scenes that are not the climax, lol.

Doesn't take a complicated series to force you to forget some stuff. With enough time, things are forgotten.
Yes, and in enough time i will forget that Pluto is not one of the main planets of our solar system because it has now been designated a dwarf planet. The first season's imprinted on us, like Pluto has - can't be easily forgotten. Besides, since the movie is really just "Best-of-Season-1+new-gimmicks", then there really isn't any reason to forget season 1 anyway.

Last edited by Nya~n; 2010-04-07 at 20:38. Reason: typo =(
Old 2010-04-07, 21:07   Link #1409
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
But I'm saying, what is so hard to remember about those? There's no reason to forget them, since half of them will probably be cut from the movie anyway to fit the time limit. There's no reason to forget season one before watching season one, because season one was never that complicated anyway.
Let me put it this way. Would you do better on a trivia of the first season after you just finished watching it, or a few years after viewing it?
Old 2010-04-07, 21:19   Link #1410
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Quote:
Let me put it this way. Would you do better on a trivia of the first season after you just finished watching it, or a few years after viewing it?
Considering it hasn't been that long since I saw the first season....

But again, back to my original point, why forget all about season one? All that really makes it different from the movie is the higher quality animation, the addition of a few scenes depicting Fate's backstory, and cutting out some other minor scenes focused on Nanoha's family and Arisa and Suzuka. Otherwise, the two are practically perfect replicas of each other.
Old 2010-04-07, 21:48   Link #1411
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Quote:
Considering it hasn't been that long since I saw the first season....

But again, back to my original point, why forget all about season one? All that really makes it different from the movie is the higher quality animation, the addition of a few scenes depicting Fate's backstory, and cutting out some other minor scenes focused on Nanoha's family and Arisa and Suzuka. Otherwise, the two are practically perfect replicas of each other.
Maybe I'm just not explaining things correctly...

You forget about season 1, so the movie seems more "fresh" when you view it. Because season 1 and the movie are so similar, that's why re-watching season 1 will probably give you less impact for when you watch the movie. Unless you're one of those people who can enjoy something the same regardless how many times you re-watch it.
Old 2010-04-07, 21:50   Link #1412
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Quote:

You forget about season 1, so the movie seems more "fresh" when you view it. Because season 1 and the movie are so similar, that's why re-watching season 1 will probably give you less impact for when you watch the movie. Unless you're one of those people who can enjoy something the same regardless how many times you re-watch it.
I'm still failing to see how "forgetting season one" makes the movie better. The two have the exact same plot, so there's no reason to even forget about season one to make the movie fresh because it rehashes the same things covered in the movie, only in a two hour format instead of thirteen episodes.
Old 2010-04-07, 21:54   Link #1413
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:

I don't want to forget it, either, because seasons 1 had much more development of Arisa, Suzuka, and Nanoha's family, among other details. There is much more development there. The movie just has Fate backstory and better animated fights; that's it. At worst, I'd consider both to compliment each other, but given the choice, I still prefer Season 1.

I still think they should have made Fate's backstory an OAV, and perhaps updated the fights in Season 1 to look better, then spliced them into an updated Director's Cut DVD of Season 1.

So I don't want to forget Season 1, either.
Old 2010-04-07, 21:55   Link #1414
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Quote:
I'm still failing to see how "forgetting season one" makes the movie better. The two have the exact same plot, so there's no reason to even forget about season one to make the movie fresh because it rehashes the same things covered in the movie, only in a two hour format instead of thirteen episodes.
0_0

The less you know about season 1, the less you know about the movie. Forgetting season 1 makes the movie better because then the movie would be entirely new material when you watch it, compared to only improved animation and a few new scenes -- if you were to remember everything about the first season.

And if that doesn't make sense, I'll just resign to the fact I can't write comprehensive sentences.

Quote:
I still think they should have made Fate's backstory an OAV, and perhaps updated the fights in Season 1 to look better, then spliced them into an updated Director's Cut DVD of Season 1.
While it's a good idea on paper, that probably wont make the Nanoha fanbase as active as a theatrical release. And the currently active fanbase is making them a ton on all the merchandise they're selling to them because of this movie release.
Old 2010-04-07, 22:00   Link #1415
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Quote:
0_0

The less you know about season 1, the less you know about the movie. Forgetting season 1 makes the movie better because then the movie would be entirely new material when you watch it, compared to only improved animation and a few new scenes -- if you were to remember everything about the first season.

And if that doesn't make sense, I'll just resign to the fact I can't write comprehensive sentences.
But how is the movie new material? I can only see it as new material if you've never watched the franchise, otherwise, it's a complete rehash of season one with more Fate development and quality animation. Season one was pretty simple in terms of plot, but it's definitely not something that one can easily forget, so by that logic the movie fails to have any new material.
Old 2010-04-07, 22:03   Link #1416
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Quote:
But how is the movie new material? I can only see it as new material if you've never watched the franchise, otherwise, it's a complete rehash of season one with more Fate development and quality animation. Season one was pretty simple in terms of plot, but it's definitely not something that one can easily forget, so by that logic the movie fails to have any new material.
Well, we were speaking hypothetically, in that if you "forgot about season one, it would be new material." Of course, no one if going to forget an entire season, but the longer you wait before viewing it, the less you will remember once you do.
Old 2010-04-07, 22:05   Link #1417
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Quote:
Well, we were speaking hypothetically, in that if you "forgot about season one, it would be new material." Of course, no one if going to forget an entire season, but the longer you wait before viewing it, the less you will remember once you do.
Maybe I'm just one of those weird people who has really good long-term memory, then, because I'm failing to understand how one could so completely forget the first season to make the movie seem "new". The movie is more direct to the plot than the original season; a lot of side things in the season get cut out for the movie, so why is one easier to forget than the other?
Old 2010-04-07, 22:09   Link #1418
Nya~n
umbrella moe~♥

tldr, demi thinks movie's the hottest thing since toast. as usual. nothing we say is going to make him try to convince us otherwise.

so here i say YEAAA MOVIEEEEEEE. happy now?
Old 2010-04-07, 22:12   Link #1419
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Quote:
Maybe I'm just one of those weird people who has really good long-term memory, then, because I'm failing to understand how one could so completely forget the first season to make the movie seem "new". The movie is more direct to the plot than the original season; a lot of side things in the season get cut out for the movie, so why is one easier to forget than the other?
I didn't say that...But the longer you have not watched something, the less of it you remember. It's never going to be entirely forgotten, of course.

Nya~n should try posting something significant for a change.
Old 2010-04-07, 22:15   Link #1420
Nya~n
umbrella moe~♥

i'm about just as significant as imploring people to forget the original season to embrace the movie. after all, i do like the takamchi-ke and nanoha/arisa/suzuka moments very much.

speaking of them... did they appear in the movie? how much screentime did they get? arisa and suzuka, i mean.