AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Another

Notices

View Poll Results: Another - Episode 12 (END) Rating
Perfect 10 32 22.54%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 42 29.58%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 29 20.42%
7 out of 10 : Good 10 7.04%
6 out of 10 : Average 9 6.34%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 6 4.23%
4 out of 10 : Poor 4 2.82%
3 out of 10 : Bad 4 2.82%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 3 2.11%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 2.11%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-03-27, 02:54   Link #101
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

I seriously don't understand why people have such a problem with the sudden rise in bodies. I saw it coming right after the tape revealed what had to be done in order to stop the curse. It was then that I knew that the secret would come out, and that the students would be going for each other's throats, especially Mei's or Kouichi's. You can't tell me I"m really the only one who actually saw all this coming (other than the true identity of the Another).

The only thing I would've liked to see was an actual conclusion to Kouichi and Mei's relationship. For all the romantic build-up they gave these two, very little came from it, while they were close to kissing each other in episode 10. Aside from a few unrealistic things (like people being able to walk in a burning building without so much as a cough or being burned), I think this episode was great and a satisfying conclusion to the show.
Old 2012-03-27, 02:57   Link #102
Manic
real men love pink

Quote:
Indeed. I discussed it with my bf yesterday and I told him the massacre at the end of the series reminded me of an anime we watched last year... you know the one with the vampires in a secluded village. I couldnt remember the name and nor could my bf, we both had to google it: Shiki
lmao i only remember it cus of how bad it was and how epically disappointed it left me. I wish i could forget it.
Old 2012-03-27, 03:06   Link #103
sa547
*Author

I guess we should hope that the book be translated into English; sometimes flawed book-to-movie/TV adaptations demand that we should check out the originals.
Old 2012-03-27, 03:13   Link #104
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Stand by Oneself

Nothing better to watch the conclusion to Another with the lights turned off, so that mystery atmosphere and the haunting soundtrack drag you down the edge of the madness.

Honestly, due to a mistake I scored the final episode with a '10' when my real grade for it is '9', actually.

There were glaring betises which detracted me from enjoying this last episode with a perfect score, and those were how they handled the deaths of most of the students in a close vein to the Final Destination series which was plain ridiculous and stupid.
Spoiler:

In spite of those flaws, however, I praised the staff not only with the use of the soundtrack but also with the cinematography, because as it was approaching the climax it quickly skyrocketed to the production values of a well crafted, feature-length film.
Spoiler:

It all leads to the confrontation with the Another in the climax at the courtyard.
Spoiler:

In the afermath, I found peace watching Kouichi and Mei speaking with each other in order to settle down their thoughts after the horrific experience from that trip that they went through; they are survivors along with few other students and Chibiki-sensei.
But, their conversation makes me wary for Kouichi feeling like not wanting to forget about the whole ordeal when it's better to put it aside and let those feelings of attachment and memories for the dead wander off into oblivion forever, as Mei's subtle expression on her face advises Kouichi to do so.
Spoiler:

At the end, the staff handles a fine job concluding the whole story in a wary and ominous note directed to the viewer in the last shot.
Spoiler:
Old 2012-03-27, 03:20   Link #105
warita
Dai-Youkai

I dont think the comparisson to Shiki is so out of place, in the end both shows had quite a massacre at the end. Massacre doesnt equal good plot in my opinion, but thats MY opinion, I am not forcing down on anybody.

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2012-03-27 at 04:22. Reason: Don't post about reputation!
Old 2012-03-27, 03:39   Link #106
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Fire View Post
I seriously don't understand why people have such a problem with the sudden rise in bodies. I saw it coming right after the tape revealed what had to be done in order to stop the curse. It was then that I knew that the secret would come out, and that the students would be going for each other's throats, especially Mei's or Kouichi's. You can't tell me I"m really the only one who actually saw all this coming (other than the true identity of the Another).
It's not the body count that bothers me. I like my slasher movies just like any other cinema-goer who wants to enjoy popcorn entertainment. But that, to me, is the problem: It wasn't how Another appeared to be at the start. It excelled as a mystery-thriller that made good use of sound, music and cinematography to build tension and a sense of dread. Unfortunately, all of that literally flew out the window in the closing episodes, descending into schlocky tropes, and wasting a golden opportunity to stand head and shoulders above other anime of its ilk.

I find it sad, for example, that I felt next to nothing about the students who died in this episode, when I actually pitied the way poor Ayano died a few episodes ago. Ayano was no less a bit character like the rest of the class, but the anime somehow managed to make me care about her with the use of just a few cameo appearances.

Just a few scenes. Imagine the difference that just a few scenes could have made, with regard to exposition about Kouichi and Reiko's relationship. But we had none of that, and are instead forced to accept a revelation that should have been stunning, but instead turned out underwhelming.

Most importantly, character development went completely haywire. I still find it very hard to believe that otherwise normal students could suddenly turn into psychotic knife murderers in a blink of an eye. There was next to no build-up that hinted at their emotional distress and, as viewers, we're simply expected to accept their stress-induced rampage on face value. I expected them to be disturbed, yes, but not that disturbed. I read that the manga did not feature any of this massacre, so I really don't see why the anime had to go in this direction. If it's for shock value, then it failed doubly badly, since all it induced was laughter among many viewers, not horror.
Old 2012-03-27, 03:39   Link #107
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

As for the episode, I enjoyed it. 8/10 for the episode, 7/10 for the series.

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2012-03-27 at 04:22.
Old 2012-03-27, 04:26   Link #108
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Well I was onboard the Reiko ship for a while the jumped ship when I couldn't link her to the class.

Of course I thought the odds were high it was Mikami Sensei so in a way I didn't really jump ship

Still feel like that twist was a a cheat from the staff,I don't like being kept in the dark about something the characters know,that makes pulling off a surprise much easier.

However what I really like was the character interaction,be it between Kouichi and Mei, or Kouichi and Azumi (love her last line).

Still not quite satisfied with what happened in last two episode,a bit too over the top for me.Would have preferred something like Mei revealing the identity of the Another to the class in episode 11 and then being some huge debate about trusting her or not,have a early resolution where reiko is killed after said debate and then give me plenty of KoichiXMei romance as the aftermath.

Overall though I still enjoyed Another greatly and had fun speculating with everyone.
Old 2012-03-27, 04:28   Link #109
PzIVf3

I suspecting her disguising as a teacher at ep.4 but when i search of her VA there are two different person. When the time i posted the spoiler pic of ep. 12 w/ a picture of the Mynah bird its puzzle me its was her all the time.

Why would that darn director wants to suffer the hot girls in the series. I prefer the main character to be the extra.
Old 2012-03-27, 04:37   Link #110
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by warita View Post
I dont think the comparisson to Shiki is so out of place, in the end both shows had quite a massacre at the end. Massacre doesnt equal good plot in my opinion, but thats MY opinion, I am not forcing down on anybody.
I also see the comparison to Shiki & admit after great build up, I found the final episodes of that series also over-the-top but I still consider Shiki a stronger series than Another because it felt thematically richer to me.
Old 2012-03-27, 04:57   Link #111
Makall

Only 10 people died?

But there was a shitload of people dying left and right in the mansion...
Old 2012-03-27, 05:37   Link #112
EroKing

Quote:
The only thing I would've liked to see was an actual conclusion to Kouichi and Mei's relationship. For all the romantic build-up they gave these two, very little came from it, while they were close to kissing each other in episode 10.
Well don't give up hope yet. Who knows, they might show them in the 2nd series, all grown up, as a couple or even as parents of the next main character?
Old 2012-03-27, 06:00   Link #113
Qikz

Ok I LOVED that ending. My goodness what an awesome way to wrap it all up.

How didn't I realise that Mikami Sensei was Reiko? How the hell did I never twig that? Also, In one of the first episodes I believe I said that Reiko was the Another due to what the bird kept saying, but I thought I was wrong.

Oh my god. I did not see that ending coming.

Mochizuki and Teshigawara are fine. That's the best news!
Old 2012-03-27, 06:22   Link #114
nchan

So the main character knew that Mikami Sensei was Reiko the whole time? Why didn't he tell us? that bastard. I felt cheated. Awesome show nevertheless.
Old 2012-03-27, 06:35   Link #115
xNeko

May i know who is this? @.@
Spoiler for :
Old 2012-03-27, 07:26   Link #116
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

I saw that coming. LMAO this show , it was like watching a japanese B movies.
What with the winter's season & the previous really , some Animes start good/look interesting/show some potentials -> go down -> end bad... well not only animes , games too the beginning of this year is a joke... let's see how far it'll go.
Old 2012-03-27, 07:46   Link #117
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
I saw it coming from a mile away too (I mentioned it in a previous thread... forgot which one) and I was quite surprised to find out that never happened in the novel after reading haguruma's excellent post in the novel thread. It wasn't a bad idea (I like it better than the killer grandma in fact... which I think they should have removed while they were at it), but the problem is that it was horribly executed. Having the student turn into mindless zombies and chant "bring the dead back to death" was plain horrible. They could have had them hunting Kouichi and Mei without going completely crazy. It would have also been more interesting if nobody had clued them in on Mei. They would have started suspecting each other (like Teshigawara and Kazami), and it would have gotten very ugly, in a good way (for us; bad for them).

The other major issue is the ridiculousness of the deaths. There were so many of them in these two episodes and they were so unbelievable they became downright comical. It's hard to take a horror story seriously when you laugh at each deaths. It didn't bother me too much last week as I thought it was merely a hiccup, but what took place in this episode was the final straw. The pillar death for example was way too hilarious...

Despite some bad choices from the anime staff, I can still say I very much enjoyed this series as a whole. I haven't had so much fun speculating about an anime in ages. 2 bad episodes don't erase 10 excellent ones. The journey is truly what mattered most for me in this case, and that journey was wonderful.
Old 2012-03-27, 08:30   Link #118
salitangibinasura
n00b101

I didn't see that coming!

Spoiler for Another:

But overall, good episode :3
Old 2012-03-27, 08:33   Link #119
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches

This episode was okay, I guess. Not nearly as good as the previous. It was kinda unti-climatic, though I blame the "Reiko is the Another" theories. I really hoped it would be Akazawa.

This episode spot light: Akazawa's death. FUUU...
Old 2012-03-27, 09:43   Link #120
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
This director seems to like mocking the audience, the son of a bitch..
I've gotten this feeling from almost every show I've tried to watch this season to the point where I don't think it's being done on purpose, writers and directors of late just genuinely don't seem to know any better. I've said it once and I'll say it again, anime desperately needs a better rotation of screenwriters and directors like yesterday. At the very least the tonal dissonance a lot of anime seem to have going on these days needs to be corrected before people can stop being so disappointed in shows that go off the rails in their second halves or right at the finish line. It's the same thing that's killed so many anime's potential that I've seen of late and it's the problem here as well.

That said this was like a minor offense compared to a lot of tonal/plot derailments I've seen this season. Maybe my standards have gotten that much lower as a result of the frequency of it, but two episodes that don't really feel like they fit in with the rest of the show is like a triumph of writing and direction compared to the 4-5 for like every other show I've tried to watch this season. Also it never really tried to blend typical stock comedy into it's narrative even during the beach episode which is something that I almost see as a triumph as well.
Closed Thread