AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-01-16, 23:51   Link #1
guess

need recomendations - like everyone else

I am running out the anime to watch, really need some suggestions. Here is a list of stuff I like. Thanks.

Revolutionary girl utena
Haibane Renmei
Those who hunt the elves (ADV version)
Noir
Battle athletes victory (TV)

Paranoia agent (but I hate Texhnolyze! Too violent and too much bloodshed)
You are under arrest (English version). I don’t really like police buddy anime but I like this because it’s just too funny!)
Otogi Zoshi ( I like the Tokyo arc of the story, though still waiting for the rest of the series. I don’t like the first half of story because it’s too cliché: a group of people searching for a valuable thing to save the world. Is this Inuya sha?)
Yu Yu Hakusho ( later part of the story has more character development and not just a fighting series anymore)
The Melody of Oblivion.
Ghost story (ADV-English version)—can’t stop laughing
Kino’s journey—love it.
ROD-the OVA--love it. excellent plot and animation. For once the heroine is not a teenage girl. BUt I don't like ROD the TV. I can't relate to the three main characters and old characters (my favorite ones in this series) have too little screen time. The plot drag on too much. I like the ending though.
My Hime--good plot.
Starship operators: love it. Excellent plot and good animation.
Maria-sama ga Miteru, I like the first season very much but I think the second season is a disappointment. The plot drags on and characters have pretty much the same personality. The first season has more diversity in term of personality. Animation quality drops dramatically. I didn’t even bother to watch it all. But I am hoping that the OVA is going to rescue it.

Yes, I love shoujo ai but I am not that interested in Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito. I hate Kannaduki no Miko! You can see why I am not interested in Kashimashi ~Girl Meets Girl~. I think I am not all that interested in shoujo ai shows for guys.

I think I should add something, as in what I like. I don't know. I think I like a lot of stuff. Funny, good story, romance, fighting shows... It doesn't have to have it all. Just include one of them would be good.

Last edited by guest; 2006-01-17 at 23:59.
Old 2006-01-17, 10:38   Link #2
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Since you like Noir I think you really to check out Madlax which is sometimes described as being simply a Noir clone but I think it's a lot more than that and has the potential to be loved by any Noir fan. It has the great atmosphere and soundtrack typical for a Bee Train anime, plot full of twists and turns (some of them being somewhat illogical, though) and includes soem awesome, if unrealistic, action scenes.
Old 2006-01-17, 19:24   Link #3
guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrim
Since you like Noir I think you really to check out Madlax which is sometimes described as being simply a Noir clone but I think it's a lot more than that and has the potential to be loved by any Noir fan. It has the great atmosphere and soundtrack typical for a Bee Train anime, plot full of twists and turns (some of them being somewhat illogical, though) and includes soem awesome, if unrealistic, action scenes.
I did. Thank you.
Old 2006-01-17, 19:32   Link #4
triela
Oh no! Uncle Ganondorf!

Or maybe Gunslinger Girl, it's cool too, with lovely music and great art ^-^
Old 2006-01-17, 19:43   Link #5
guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by triela
Or maybe Gunslinger Girl, it's cool too, with lovely music and great art ^-^
I did. It is kind of too heavy to me. Thanks.
Old 2006-01-17, 20:13   Link #6
Sofu
Cheeky Cat

There are quite a lot of good shows you didn't mention that fit your criteria, so I'm going to limit my suggestions, or I'd never stop.

First off, you liked My-HiME, so if you aren't watching Mai-Otome, please let us know why.

Azumanga Daioh is an excellent show. No plot to speak of, but lots of funny (and sometimes touching) moments. Licensed.

Irresponsible Captain Tylor is one of my all time favorites. Good story and light-hearted. Licensed.

Paradise Kiss has romance, and the story is not something you might think would be interesting, but it is. Try it on for size and see what you think. Unlicensed and listed on animesuki.

Maria-sama ga Miteru may not be a romance, but it is shoujo-ai which is close enough for me. And it's just a darn good show. Quiet and mostly about character development, it tends to be very emotional. If you find you like the show, do not miss the DVD specials! Unlicensed and listed on animesuki.

For something more about intellect than emotion, go with the Ghost in the Shell TV series. Both seasons. Some people mistake it for an action series. It's not. It's more like a high-tech version of Law & Order. Yes, there will be action, but the focus is on the story and philosophy. Both seasons are licensed.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes is another great story. This one is set in the far future but is told from something like an historical perspective. It's an older show, though, so the animation is dated, but that doesn't detract from the story in the slightest. Unlicensed and listed on animesuki (up to ep 61 as I type this).

Hunter x Hunter is a good fighting story by the same guy who wrote Yu Yu Hakusho. Unlicensed and listed on animesuki.
Old 2006-01-17, 21:45   Link #7
Renesis-C
Senior Member...?

School Rumble has a little bit of everything you said (fighting, romance, comedy, relatively good story)
Old 2006-01-17, 23:46   Link #8
guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofu
There are quite a lot of good shows you didn't mention that fit your criteria, so I'm going to limit my suggestions, or I'd never stop.

First off, you liked My-HiME, so if you aren't watching Mai-Otome, please let us know why.

Azumanga Daioh is an excellent show. No plot to speak of, but lots of funny (and sometimes touching) moments. Licensed.

Irresponsible Captain Tylor is one of my all time favorites. Good story and light-hearted. Licensed.

Paradise Kiss has romance, and the story is not something you might think would be interesting, but it is. Try it on for size and see what you think. Unlicensed and listed on animesuki.

Maria-sama ga Miteru may not be a romance, but it is shoujo-ai which is close enough for me. And it's just a darn good show. Quiet and mostly about character development, it tends to be very emotional. If you find you like the show, do not miss the DVD specials! Unlicensed and listed on animesuki.

For something more about intellect than emotion, go with the Ghost in the Shell TV series. Both seasons. Some people mistake it for an action series. It's not. It's more like a high-tech version of Law & Order. Yes, there will be action, but the focus is on the story and philosophy. Both seasons are licensed.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes is another great story. This one is set in the far future but is told from something like an historical perspective. It's an older show, though, so the animation is dated, but that doesn't detract from the story in the slightest. Unlicensed and listed on animesuki (up to ep 61 as I type this).

Hunter x Hunter is a good fighting story by the same guy who wrote Yu Yu Hakusho. Unlicensed and listed on animesuki.
Mai-Otome , I am getting bored of it. There is not much for a plot. It has minor plot here and there but no real plot. Fanservice is not as tasteful as Mai hime.

Azumanga Daioh Did already. It’s OK, light entertainment.

Irresponsible Captain Tylor I watched the first ep and didn’t like it. Maybe I will give it another try.

Paradise Kiss, I might give it a try.

Maria-sama ga Miteru, I like the first season very much but I think the second season is a disappointment. The plot drags on and characters have pretty much the same personality. The first season has more diversity in term of personality. Animation quality drops dramatically. I didn’t even bother to watch it all. But I am hoping that the OVA is going to rescue it.

Yes, I love shoujo ai but I am not that interested in Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito. I hate Kannaduki no Miko! You can see why I am not interested in Kashimashi ~Girl Meets Girl~. I think I am not all that interested in shoujo ai shows for guys.

Ghost in the Shell the movie and stand alone complex, watched it already and like it. I also like the serial experiment Lan. I love it even more.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes, I might give it a try.

Hunter x Hunter I was surprised that this is not licensed yet. I might give it a try.

The one I say I might give it a try means it is only available for fansub. It is hard for me to get it, believe it or not.
I prefer licensed but fansub is OK just will not be on the top of my list because of the availability.

Btw, I have updated my list. Sorry about that.
Old 2006-01-17, 23:52   Link #9
guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renesis-C
School Rumble has a little bit of everything you said (fighting, romance, comedy, relatively good story)
I guess I will watch more of this when more DVD is available. I watched a few and I found the joke gets old quickly. But it's OK.
Old 2006-01-18, 01:19   Link #10
triela
Oh no! Uncle Ganondorf!

Has any one watched Meine Liebe? I haven't watched it myself, but have heard that it's good, so you might like it ^0^
Old 2006-01-18, 01:28   Link #11
Renesis-C
Senior Member...?

Yeah school rumble, first few episodes ain't fantastic, BUT it really kicks in later on (episode 5 is one that comes to mind, won't spoil anything though...)
Old 2006-01-18, 05:45   Link #12
giu_2

Send a message via MSN to giu_2
Shakuga No shana,Canvas,Angel Tails.. =)
Old 2006-01-18, 06:17   Link #13
Renesis-C
Senior Member...?

Full metal alchemist: Funny, Good story, fighting, relatively long (so you won't be looking for another anime to quickly)

Samurai Champloo: Funny, okay story (though if you just rate each individual episode it's good, main plotline is a little "meh"), fighting.

Suzuka: just finished watching it, I'd recommend it, but I would definitely look at FMA first. (only because FMA is really one of the best anime out there)
Old 2006-01-18, 16:19   Link #14
EternityOfPain
Boss of AnimeLessons

Send a message via AIM to EternityOfPain
Check out Full Metal Panic! its a great series with a mix of school comedy and mech fighting. Afterwards if you want to watch something more on the comedy side check out Full Metal Panic! fumoffu, its a great mini series basically school comedy. If you want something more mech action based then check out Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid which you can download from animesuki.
Old 2006-01-21, 05:12   Link #15
Sofu
Cheeky Cat

Okay, coming back to this thread. Since you're primarily interested in licensed shows, I'll stick with that. And no shoujo-ai. Got it.

Midori no Hibi is a comedy/romance. Midori has a crush on Seiji, so naturally she wakes up one day to discover she's become his right hand. Hijinks ensue. (No, not those sorts of "hijinks." ) AniRec has a better summary of the premise.

BubbleGum Crisis: 2040 is an oldie but goodie. Combines lots of action with some intrigue making it a fun show to watch. When I saw it, though, the translation left something to be desired, making it difficult to follow. It may have been redone since then. It was quite a few years ago. (If you like this show, don't watch BubbleGum Crash. You'll be disappointed.)

I My Me! Strawberry Eggs is...well, I'm not sure how to catagorize it, but the closest I can come to is a comedy/romance. It has comedy elements, but it's not purely a comedy, and it has romantic elements, but I don't think it really qualifies as a romance, either. Still, I think the story is worth watching.

Narutaru (aka Shadow Star) is a creepy 13 episode series about childhood cruelty and neuroses. Watch at least through ep 3 before giving up on it. That was the episode that got me hooked. Sadly, this series is only half the story (which is all in the manga version), but otherwise it's an excellent show.

Excel Saga is one of the best comedy shows ever made. It's a parody of practically every genre in anime. If you aren't falling out of your chair laughing, you aren't familiar with enough anime to get the jokes.

Scrapped Princess is an adventure series. The plot seems ordinary at first, but it turns out that things are not really what they seem. I won't give it away.
Old 2006-04-29, 21:25   Link #16
blackwolf58

An anime that I watched recently and loved is called Kurau phantom memory. It's really difficult to explain it in a way that makes it sound good, which in my mind it was. A girl (Kurau) is inhabited by an alien life-form (which is a small glowing light) when she's young. When asked by the girl's father to leave, the life-form, called Rynax, says it can't because its partner, which all Rynax have, is resting inside the body as well. 10 years pass, and finally the partner materializes into a human. The rest of the story is about their adventures as they explore the world, meet other Rynax, and try to not get caught by power-hungry mongers (I forgot to mention that Rynax were powerful beings). There is no shouji-ai, but there is a lot of action and good music.
Old 2006-04-29, 21:57   Link #17
Thyrz
Laidback Luke

I'll third School Rumble. It is awesome.
Old 2006-04-29, 22:05   Link #18
Rich
AnimeSuki's Hentai-sama

Send a message via ICQ to Rich Send a message via MSN to Rich
definetly school rumble, and try going for shuffle, Fate s n , or even azumanga dioh
Old 2006-04-29, 23:34   Link #19
Cyz
"Show it to me"

My recommendations:

Mai Otome (same Mai HiME characters but different storyline. good plot just like it's predecessor)
Maria sama Ga Miteru Spring (the second season since you already watched the first season)
Shuffle! (romance and comedy with a matching magic and mayhem)
Strawberry Panic (like Utena, minus the duel part, and also Marimite)
Fate/Stay Night (good story and action)
Shakugan No Shana
Maburaho (same as shuffle, except more mayhem)
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Closed Thread