User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

Happy Birthday Animesuki
Old 2007-12-26, 05:30   Link #123
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One View Post
And how old is the forum? (There are quite some members with an earlier join date)
The reason why (for example) GHDpro has a join date of Jan 2001 is because some of the initial membership had been copied over from The Emulator Zone forum (for more detail I suggest you follow the link in the first post of this thread).

History of AnimeSuki

The earliest post from the vB AnimeSuki forum that I can find is from the 3rd Novemebr 2003 but there was an earlier AnimeSuki forum running before that using a different forum package. I know that it was running in Jan 2003 since I joined the forum on the 29th of that month.

So in other words, the forum was created close to the same date as the main site but I'm not sure exactly. My guess is that the forum was created around 30th December 2002.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-26, 06:08   Link #124
Sephi
Thinking outside the box
*Graphic Designer

Happy B-day AnimeSuki \o/

Currently watching: Aria the Origination & Dennou Coil
Sephi: Anime Icons | Signatures & Avatars | Renders
Sephi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-26, 07:06   Link #125
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One View Post
Do you have a specific reason for guessing the 30th instead of for example the 31th or the New Year's Day? (Not tht there would be much difference...)
Only that it would seem that someone joined on that day (who doesn't seem to be part of the Emulator Zone forum import) and after that there seemed to be a slow build up of new users.

Before this date there is a gap of a couple of months where no-one joined so I'm guessing "older" users were imported from the Emulator Zone forum. The user numbers seem to support this since earlier users are all under 100 while the user who joined on the 30th Dec was user 418. Have a look at the link I proved for initial membership as that should give you a clue what I mean.

Based on this I would say the forum was created sometime between the 26th Dec (creation of the main site) and the 30th Dec (when the first new user appeared to have joined).

It is guess work since there have been a lot of users "lost" due to system restores, purges and whatnot. GHDpro might have links to the old original forum and might be able to dig out the first post of the original BB AnimeSuki forum (I think we started out as a BB forum, vB was added later on the 3rd November 2003)
Old 2007-12-26, 11:32   Link #126
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

What I posted Yday : D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geta Boshi View Post
Know I am a day early but I wanted to post this since morning I even posted in the another thread regarding this

AnimeSuki
Old 2007-12-26, 11:43   Link #127
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Happy birthdays AnimeSuki , this site is one of my favorite and I hope that it would last another five years.
Old 2007-12-26, 13:17   Link #128
The Chaos
ǾΝΈ ΡЇΈÇΈ is the Best !!

Since I Posted Yesterday .....I Will it Say Again...
Happy birthdays Animesuki
Old 2007-12-26, 15:11   Link #129
Hellychan
~chibi tenshi~

Happy Birthday AnimeSuki! May you live forever with those great members
Old 2007-12-26, 15:31   Link #130
krisslanza
Sleep beneath the flowers

Well! Happy birthday AnimeSuki! Looks like I get to enjoy AnimeSuki's fifth birthday as the first one I've seen since I joined. :P
Old 2007-12-26, 17:35   Link #131
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by xris View Post
(I think we started out as a BB forum, vB was added later on the 3rd November 2003)
It was indeed Burning Board for quite a while. I remember that clearly since it was the first forum that I ever posted on extensively. (I suspect we have these little reminiscenses in this thread every year. )

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-26, 17:39   Link #132
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Quote:
Originally Posted by xris View Post
Only that it would seem that someone joined on that day (who doesn't seem to be part of the Emulator Zone forum import) and after that there seemed to be a slow build up of new users.

Before this date there is a gap of a couple of months where no-one joined so I'm guessing "older" users were imported from the Emulator Zone forum. The user numbers seem to support this since earlier users are all under 100 while the user who joined on the 30th Dec was user 418. Have a look at the link I proved for initial membership as that should give you a clue what I mean.

Based on this I would say the forum was created sometime between the 26th Dec (creation of the main site) and the 30th Dec (when the first new user appeared to have joined).

It is guess work since there have been a lot of users "lost" due to system restores, purges and whatnot. GHDpro might have links to the old original forum and might be able to dig out the first post of the original BB AnimeSuki forum (I think we started out as a BB forum, vB was added later on the 3rd November 2003)
Hahaha, the avatars back then were so original ^^, they lacked some creativity but it was a laugh ^^. Sorta too bad I've lost interest in emulation now ^^.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellychan View Post
Happy Birthday AnimeSuki! May you live forever with those great members
It's those pigs again ^_^

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-26, 23:06   Link #133
Ledgem
Love Yourself

If you want to see what the site and the forums looked like in their infant days, you could use archive.org to take a look. The site tends to be a bit flakey at times, so if it's not working, try back later. Here:

The main AnimeSuki site (select a date to see what the site looked like on that date - goes back as far as 2002)

The AnimeSuki forums (goes back as far as early 2003) - the forum has changed quite a bit since that first snapshot. As NSW mentioned, you can see that Burning Board was being used instead of vBulletin, which we're using now.
Old 2007-12-27, 03:07   Link #134
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
It was indeed Burning Board for quite a while. I remember that clearly since it was the first forum that I ever posted on extensively. (I suspect we have these little reminiscenses in this thread every year. )
But do you remember NEKO KONEKO?
boneyjellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-27, 03:09   Link #135
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

LOL! How could anyone ever forget Neko Koneko? Or JAppi. They were so active in those early years. And such extreme personalities. Speaking of which, long time no see.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2007-12-27, 03:35   Link #136
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Actually the forum predates the site in a way. AnimeSuki started out as a forum thread on EZ (The Emulator Zone). After AnimeSuki.com opened for real on December 26, the AnimeSuki forum remained part of the EZ forum for a while.

EZ forum February 2003: http://web.archive.org/web/200302051...ator-zone.com/
Also note the forum URL here: http://archive.animesuki.com/history/animesuki20030112/

Then sometime in February/March 2003 some things happened with the EZ forum and/or because of the DoS attacks back then, which lead me to split of the AnimeSuki forum. At that time I basically copied over the whole EZ forum database and deleted all EZ related sections, which is why the userbase of the AnimeSuki forum has a lot of EZ members from that time.

Also as some of you may remember, sometime in November 2003 we had our first forum "screwup", after which the forum was converted to vBulletin. All users registered up to when I still had backups (July 2003) were kept, but the rest of the forum was reset. I suppose there were not that many posts back then for that to be possible (as with the December 2005 issue we did keep all posts, even though they were 1 year old).

So anyway, the AnimeSuki (sub)forum, as a place for AnimeSuki.com visitors to discuss things, existed from nearly the beginning, but didn't become an independent forum until several months later.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-27, 04:23   Link #137
xris
Just call me Ojisan

How strange, are you sure about this. I certainly do not remember joining the EZ forum at all at that time, I thought that on the 29th Jan 2003 I joined an actual AS forum.

The archive page of AnimeSuki on the 12th Jan 2003 does indeed show the forum linked to the EZ forum. But are you sure you didn't split the EZ and AS forums soon after this. While it's true that the Wayback Machine shows the AS sub-forum as part of the EZ forum, are you sure that there were not two AS forums running at the same time (as a sub-forum on EZ and as a full forum at forum.animesuki).

The Wayback Machine doesn't show anything for forum.animesuki prior to 1st April 2003 (but the page shows there were 63 users on 03-13-2003, so it would imply that it existed on 13th March). Of course this just means that the Wayback Machine doesn't have anything archived from earlier, it's not direct proof that it didn't exist.

Anyway, it might be that I don't remember. It is almost 5 years ago but I was sure I joined the AS forum and not the EZ forum back then.
Old 2007-12-27, 05:47   Link #138
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

By contrast I think I remember that I joined EZ. I definitely remember browsing the various forums there, but it is true that I was lurking for a month before joining the forum... I also remember that the AS Forum was removed from EZ at the same time that it was given its own forum, rather than running in two different places. That's what I remember, but as you say, it was 5 years ago...

Old 2007-12-27, 08:38   Link #139
Miko Miko
Imouto-Chan♥
*Graphic Designer

Spoiler for Big, Happy Birthday Animesuki:

Wow five years old
It seems great a lot of new members, and old ones are still active and keep the forum alive.
Miko Miko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-27, 14:37   Link #140
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
LOL! How could anyone ever forget Neko Koneko? Or JAppi. They were so active in those early years. And such extreme personalities. Speaking of which, long time no see.
boneyjellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
animesuki