AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2010-03-07, 19:11   Link #81
The Rumblefish
Hurray for Takako Shimura

Sorry, I know nothing of the US market: what is so specific about Fantagraphics?
The Rumblefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-09, 18:41   Link #82
Hagimorpey

they mostly publish less "mainstream" stuff, which would make them editorially speaking somewhat closer to Comic Beam than, say, Viz (although I'm not sure making direct analogies between the US and japanese markets is such a good idea).

edit: Now, it's official

Last edited by Hagimorpey; 2010-03-09 at 18:56.
Hagimorpey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-11, 07:59   Link #83
NeoSam

The seinen manga Hourou Musuko will be getting an anime adaptation:
http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...postcount=3655
Old 2010-03-11, 16:15   Link #84
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Chap 82 was a nice chapter. Loved the Anna/Shuu moment. Like JS said, it really gave their relationship some closure, also kinda hinting as to why they split up in the first place. I can somewhat see the "manly" qualities Anna was talking about. I think that he's naturally quiet yet speaks his mind(even if he muddles/stutters while saying it) is my fav aspect of him as well.

I was surprised for Anna to say she was shy though. Giving the personality she's shown thus far(sans this chapter), I always thought she was more like a less-temperamental Saorin. Seeing her get embarrassed by Shuu's words, I can see her shyness a little bit, but still it has me wondering whether she's just like that with only the people she "likes".

I did see the empathy Yoshino expressed when she was watching the play. It was really a perfect reflection of what her situation was. There's still a small part of me that's sad that Saorin's attention has been shifted from Shuu to Yoshino(being that I was(and still am) a big Saorin/Shuu fan), but I suppose Saorin's straightforward personality is more suited to be with Yoshino than Shuu. That probably works the other way around as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoSam View Post
The seinen manga Hourou Musuko will be getting an anime adaptation:
http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...postcount=3655
Hell ****ing YES! I really think this should have gotten animated before Aoi Hana, esp since it has more chapters(and I think it's more interesting). If it gets 2 seasons, I think that'd be enough material to reach the end of the 1st year of middle school. They would definitely have to make it well into the 1st year of middle school, since at the end of their primary school, everyone was kinda in disarray and split up(specifically Shuu, Chiba, and Yoshino, who were the major characters in those arcs).
frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-23, 19:50   Link #85
John Smith

Though I learned about this a bit late... I'm ecstatic. Something actually worth buying is getting released. Hopefully they print the whole series or I'll be pretty depressed having an unfinished collection sitting on my bookshelf. Hardcover is an interesting choice though, so hopefully it isn't too expensive. In any case, I have to say this made my day. Given that they are targeting a niche market hopefully they aren't expecting too much in regards to sales.

Plus, I feel confident that the translation will be good since the translator seems very competent (he talks the talk in any case):

http://matt-thorn.com/wordpress/?p=407

Waiting patiently for 83.

Edit: Anime doesn't hurt but I don't care that much. Though I admit I will follow the anime religiously.
John Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-30, 13:04   Link #86
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Shouldn't we have chapter 83 soon?
Old 2010-03-31, 09:28   Link #87
The Rumblefish

It should have arrived a week ago, if not sooner... Worrying.

It seems there was a new chapter this month (no break). Furthermore, Volume 10 came out last week. The most recent issue of Comic Beam included the announcement for the anime; maybe this is giving the scanner and translator a bit more work?
Old 2010-03-31, 11:59   Link #88
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rumblefish View Post
It seems there was a new chapter this month (no break). Furthermore, Volume 10 came out last week. The most recent issue of Comic Beam included the announcement for the anime; maybe this is giving the scanner and translator a bit more work?
Yeah it's perfectly understandable. It's just that as each day goes by, the cliffhanger ending from last months chapter eats away at me more.
Old 2010-04-02, 06:43   Link #89
John Smith

Chapter is out at the usual place.

Spoiler for Chapter 83:
Old 2010-04-02, 12:20   Link #90
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Spoiler for Chapter 83:
Old 2010-04-02, 13:42   Link #91
Diedrupo

Hearing that there will be an anime adapation just made my day. Also, Matt Thorn is a stellar guy and if he's doing the translation, it will be awesome.
Diedrupo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-02, 15:41   Link #92
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Spoiler for Chapter 83:
Yeah, that was kind of an abrupt transition. So much for my fear that something was about to go horribly wrong on stage.
Old 2010-04-03, 08:02   Link #93
frubam
simp for Lyria

Hurray, everyone's in the same class. It still somehow doesn't quite feel like their first year though, like they are more....dreary . Here's hoping Saorin can make one last connection with Shuu before this is all over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneDragon View Post
Yeah, that was kind of an abrupt transition. So much for my fear that something was about to go horribly wrong on stage.
I'm glad that didn't happen. So far, amazingly this manga has avoided every cliche a typical shoujo manga would throw at you(ignoring the fact it's a seinen manga >.>), and if that happened, one could believe that the only thing that'd follow is typical and cliche events so obvious, that I need not elaborate as to what they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiro View Post
Spoiler for Chapter 83:
Well, it isn't the first time they "shifted" the time up, heck sometimes they do it mid-chapter, . And I suppose you're right about the voice breaking thing. It's actually somewhat reared itself already, back when Makoto mentioned how that'd happen when they grow up and everything.
Old 2010-04-03, 21:54   Link #94
The Rumblefish

I liked how she used flashbacks in the middle of the chapter. Maybe we'll get more tidbits about what happened during the festival in future chapters. I think the time skip works well. For some reason, I thought #83 was one of her best chapters in recent times, in terms of composition and artwork. Interested in seeing how the high-school freshmen develop as well.
Old 2010-04-04, 03:42   Link #95
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rumblefish View Post
I liked how she used flashbacks in the middle of the chapter. Maybe we'll get more tidbits about what happened during the festival in future chapters. I think the time skip works well. For some reason, I thought #83 was one of her best chapters in recent times, in terms of composition and artwork. Interested in seeing how the high-school freshmen develop as well.
I do rather like the time skip, it's just that i wasn't expecting one when i first read this chapter, so my thoughts were a little off when first reading, that's all. Though i've reread it a few times now, and i completely agree with you about it being one of the best chapters in recent times. I just love the progressive style of Takako Shimura, and the stage it's in at the moment.
Old 2010-04-14, 07:46   Link #96
The Rumblefish

HM#84 is out! What a nice surprise. I was not used to the (former) regular timing anymore.

Saorin is awesome. Good dynamics all around in this chapter. It felt weird to have a scene very similar to what a normal love comedy/drama manga would offer, if taken out of context.
Old 2010-04-14, 12:53   Link #97
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Yeah it's a nice surprise to have this chapter now.

Last page was easily my favorite, because i've longed for more Chiba development. I don't know if i believe her words regarding not being in love with Shu anymore, so shall have to wait and see how that will be developed further.
Old 2010-04-14, 14:43   Link #98
frubam
simp for Lyria

This chapter seems to roll around faster than I thought it would.

The main girls were looking very cute in this chapter, esp Saorin and Sarashina(when she was still in the bed). When Yoshino was asked whether or not she ever liked anyone, she said she never did, which was unexpected, as I recall her mentioning that she liked her 2nd yr hr teacher. I mentioned this WAY back on the first page, after she rejected Shuu, and I still believe it, that I feel she doesn't know what "love" really is, so maybe she experienced these feelings and never interpreted as "love". Well, even if she did have those feelings, since for quite some time, her primary companion isn't Shuu anymore, I'm privy to think it'll still be a while before she gets a chance to experience it, even if she doesn't know that it's love.

I'm quite saddened that Saorin said she only likes Shuu as a friend. I've said it many a time before, but I hoped that at least a brief romantic relationship would have started between them. I remember someone(either Sol I think, or maybe Kieli) saying that Saorin was trying to establish connections with others, which makes her line about everyone being important to her more plausible. At the same time though, it gives me the impression that she won't strive to keep a single close friendship , but a more loose friendship with everyone. It also causes me to think that any chance for her to fall in love is gone. Well, the mangaka has surprised me many a time before, so I won't rule anything out until some definite relationships happen.
Old 2010-04-14, 17:46   Link #99
John Smith

Spoiler for Chapter 84:
Old 2010-05-11, 00:49   Link #100
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

I just finished all of the available chapters today. This series has a sort of beauty that I didn't see coming. Everyone's emotions are very well thought-out and plausible. I find it amazing that a growing up story can be woven with crossdressing.

I'm having trouble imagining that the anime can live up to it. The current anime/manga atmosphere is too jacked up on fanservice as it is (and it's getting kinkier), and it's tough to get it to turn around. Some people just won't be able to take the crossdressing part seriously as a central plot dynamic, as brilliant as it is.

At the very least, there's plenty of good material to learn how to draw clothing and people with.

By the way, I really hope Chiba can get over her selfish free-for-all loathing soon. I feel bad for literally everyone she talks to.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, seinen