AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

View Poll Results: Lucky Star - Episode 03 Rating
Perfect 10 12 10.26%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 38 32.48%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 38 32.48%
7 out of 10 : Good 17 14.53%
6 out of 10 : Average 8 6.84%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.85%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.85%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 1.71%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-04-25, 12:01   Link #81
Broken_Angel
Walking in the dark

Send a message via ICQ to Broken_Angel Send a message via AIM to Broken_Angel Send a message via MSN to Broken_Angel Send a message via Yahoo to Broken_Angel
I like it ^_^ it's cool
Old 2007-04-25, 12:10   Link #82
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakxenon View Post
-I have not watched PPD. Is it THAT good? I'm watching (waiting on subs...) Negima!? and the humor isn't that great. (That and MSN manga is soooo much better).
If you like the referencial humor of Lucky Star (and don't mind shows that rely on "WTF humor"), then you'd probably enjoy PPD.

As for Negima!?, the problem there was that rather than focusing on the story, SHAFT put too much effort making the show another Pani Poni Dash (which it obviously isn't, as Negima isn't a "gag manga" title).
Old 2007-04-25, 13:22   Link #83
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Well here we go:

Summer v. Winter clothes: I like how Tsukasa doesn't seem to realize it's time to switch over to summer clothing. I've pulled this boner before and ended up in sweltering heat with a sweater and jacket on. Also amusing was the fact that they didn't show below the bra-strap line of Kagami. Though honestly I would have to say that if I didn't know they were supposed to be in high, I would be saying its a bit early for Kagami to be wearing one.

Train Station: So twins are really quirky eh and apparently even though they share a lot in common, on needs something to make them the polar opposite of the other. I noticed during this sequence that Aya Hirano seemed to be speaking in her natural voice again for Konata (Something similar happened in an episode of Himawari for a deep voiced character), but went back to the regular Kona voice in the next scene. Also take note of the timeless art of seduction. That poor (or lucky?) man having to avert his eyes while she's got her shirt lifted up halfway fanning herself. What do you do in that situation, you can't exactly move on a crowded train. I wonder how often stuff like that really does happen on trains in Japan (I've heard my share of true stories about groping and illicit activity on trains).

School: UH OH! They are talking about Dragon Quest V. I haven't played the game, but the spells a clearly Healmore and Explodet that they are censoring. Speaking of which the trademark (BEEP) has showed up in this show now. Apparently you can't say Gundam or anything copyrighted by Square Enix anymore on television unless you secure the rights. In fact most of the references in this scene are censored quite a bit.

Back Home: So everything seems to revolve around games with Konata and that is how she manages to do well in school. It's a bribe to encourage her to do better. In case anybody is wondering how Konata beat Kagami at the quiz game. What the LC sub got wrong was that Kagami said "Don't tell me she memorized the pattern?" (they had answers instead of pattern). Basically if you play a quiz game enough, You will notice the answers will start to repeat themselves until you can buzz in your answer before the question is even finished typing on the screen. This was the theme of an episode of Yu Yu Hakusho that I recently saw. After that......SLUMBER PARTY! (a rather boring one unfortunately)

The Manga Cafe: Okay Japan really needs to work on its product placement. Something so blatant makes me have to take a point away from this episode. What a waste. Konata: "Comptiq's Refill Card Is On Sale Now" followed soon after by "Don't You Feel The Urge To Buy Related To A Particular Title (i.e Magazine title). Oh Please! This is one of the most thinly disguised product plugs by a company I've ever seen. Like I've said, the Japanese should learn a bit more tact when it comes to product placement (That goes double for you Sunrise!)

Eating: So Miyuki is the school idol apparently and people are trying to win her over (maniacs no less). This is followed up by explaining why (How the heck do you turn of a light switch by accident when going for a door. What's even funnier is that all of them have done it). Miyuki has to be one of the funnier Moe parodies of recent years.

Lucky Channel: Much funnier when Akira is in her happy mode (such as playing the guilt card on Brock and then sliding away as he move in closer). Then suddenly its the same old bi-polar joke (commenting about Miyuki) and then.... funny the second she switches back regarding the lolicon army. The picture and discussion of her overall was funnier than most of the Lucky Channel segments. Keep it about the show and it will be much more clever. Like a way to poke at the conventions the show has gone over as a way of winding down.

Ending: I'm not even going to comment on the absurdity of Konata suddenly having an adult voice. Ok I will I guess. They didn't even play it for laughs (they could have pointed out the impossibility of Konata suddenly being an uber adult-voiced singer, but they didn't), it was just..... kind of stupid. When I first heard about it I thought that they would have done something like finding out she was using a voice box or something to cheat and it would have been funny, but they didn't. They did the same thing in Nadesico, except at the end you find out that Ruri cheated by using Omoikane to process her voice, so it's made funny. Probably a single promo gimmick and that's really it, but it really ruined the spirit of the ending for me. Once again they could have done this so much better, sold the single and still made it clever. Gotta give a penalty for this one (-0.5). Aya get's an A, but Kyoto Animation get's a D- for the ending. So overall it's something like 7- 1.5=5.5 and I round up since I'm not in the mood for being overly harsh. 6 is my final score.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2007-04-25 at 14:33.
Old 2007-04-25, 13:28   Link #84
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

What the double posting F***. Okay my mistake.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2007-04-25 at 13:29. Reason: Huh?!
Old 2007-04-25, 14:01   Link #85
Boukenxha

Quote:
Originally Posted by aorta View Post
Can anyone explain the card Konata has? Ladybug #3 Punk Version.
Spoiler for for people who haven't watch ep 3:

Last edited by Boukenxha; 2007-04-25 at 14:13.
Old 2007-04-25, 14:45   Link #86
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Well here we go:

Summer v. Winter clothes: I like how Tsukasa doesn't seem to realize it's time to switch over to summer clothing. I've pulled this boner before and ended up in sweltering heat with a sweater and jacket on. Also amusing was the fact that they didn't show below the bra-strap line of Kagami. Though honestly I would have to say that if I didn't know they were supposed to be in high, I would be saying its a bit early for Kagami to be wearing one.
Points to them for being implicit on Kagami's state of dress ... but thats something the manga does (and really, its far more exciting to imply than to be explicit for those interested in that aspect of the show ... Kagami is pert, not 'nayuki-jiggle' after all (puts helmet on for any brickbats thrown)).

Quote:
Train Station: So twins are really quirky eh and apparently even though they share a lot in common, on needs something to make them the polar opposite of the other. I noticed during this sequence that Aya Hirano seemed to be speaking in her natural voice again for Konata (Something similar happened in an episode of Himawari for a deep voiced character), but went back to the regular Kona voice in the next scene. Also take note of the timeless art of seduction. That poor (or lucky?) man having to avert his eyes while she's got her shirt lifted up halfway fanning herself. What do you do in that situation, you can't exactly move on a crowded train. I wonder how often stuff like that really does happen on trains in Japan (I've heard my share of true stories about groping and illicit activity on trains).
I think Konata relayed virtually every twin myth that exists in japanese culture and science fiction <laugh>. Kona seems to modulate her voice depending on what character she's affecting (kind of like people that speak in movie quotes ... kind of a perverse version of that ST:TNG episode where Picard has to communicate with a race that speaks in metaphor and myth).
I don't know that Kona was being seductive on purpose but she's completely unconscious of her affect on anyone. Poor guy seemed more embarrassed than excited though. Someone further up said the moral of that sequence was always carry a newspaper to read. I ride enough light rail and busses that one just learns to defocus the eyes (though I did once point out discreetly to someone that their shirt had become unbuttoned using my best Texan "man-of-honor" voice). As far as train-groping in Japan, serious problem and pretty reflective of how in some ways the social context is very screwed up at present.
Quote:
School: UH OH! They are talking about Dragon Quest V. I haven't played the game, but the spells a clearly Healmore and Explodet that they are censoring. Speaking of which the trademark (BEEP) has showed up in this show now. Apparently you can't say Gundam or anything copyrighted by Square Enix anymore on television unless you secure the rights. In fact most of the references in this scene are censored quite a bit.
I've never been able to figure out the method by which anime decides to mangle a popular brand name or not ("SOMY" anyone?). They probably want to refer to other properties without actually GIVING them free advertising. The BEEPs are really bizarre - I thought she was being profane at first.
Quote:
Back Home: So everything seems to revolve around games with Konata and that is how she manages to do well in school. It's a bribe to encourage her to do better. In case anybody is wondering how Konata beat Kagami at the quiz game. What the LC sub got wrong was that Kagami said "Don't tell me she memorized the pattern?" (they had answers instead of pattern). Basically if you play a quiz game enough, You will notice the answers will start to repeat themselves until you can buzz in your answer before the question is even finished typing on the screen. This was the theme of an episode of Yu Yu Hakusho that I recently saw. After that......SLUMBER PARTY! (a rather boring one unfortunately)
In Trivial Pursuit Classic, when in doubt: "Kennedy" "The Beatles" "Happy Days" ... or some similar idiocy. Kona has parallels to me and probably and entire segment of geekdom that "cruised along" in school (last minute cram, etc) and spent our valuable time playing in esoteric hobbies that the large portion of the population bell curve didn't get or even know existed.

Quote:
The Manga Cafe: Okay Japan really needs to work on its product placement. Something so blatant makes me have to take a point away from this episode. What a waste.
Manga cafes (like our local bookstore/cafe combos) are pretty common, I need to relook at the episode to see if there was actually product placement or not, rather than just vague references.

Quote:
Eating: So Miyuki is the school idol apparently and people are trying to win her over (maniacs no less). This is followed up by explaining why (How the heck do you turn of a light switch by accident when going for a door. What's even funnier is that all of them have done it). Miyuki has to be one of the funnier Moe parodies of recent years.
Somehow it figures that she's much more adored than she has a clue about. She's pretty much dateless since she apparently leaves the males with their jaws unhinged. The light switch thing has to do with being trained from birth on conserving energy I guess. In my case, the action resides in such a primitive part of my brain next to where I automatically lock my front door even when stepping out to get the mail.
Quote:
Lucky Channel: Much funnier when Akira is in her happy mode (such as playing the guilt card on Brock and then sliding away as he move in closer). Then suddenly its the same old bi-polar joke (commenting about Miyuki) and then.... funny the second she switches back regarding the lolicon army. The picture and discussion of her overall was funnier than most of the Lucky Channel segments. Keep it about the show and it will be much more clever. Like a way to poke at the conventions the show has gone over as a way of winding down.
Her "fake-happy" is quite manic... but the joke is winding down and I really can't see it going for 20 more episodes without some substantial change.

Quote:
Ending: I'm not even going to comment on the absurdity of Konata suddenly having an adult voice. Ok I will I guess. They didn't even play it for laughs (they could have pointed out the impossibility of Konata suddenly being an uber adult-voiced singer, but they didn't), it was just..... kind of stupid. When I first heard about it I thought that they would have done something like finding out she was using a voice box or something to cheat and it would have been funny, but they didn't. They did the same thing in Nadesico, except at the end you find out that Ruri cheated by using Omoikane to process her voice, so it's made funny. Probably a single promo gimmick and that's really it, but it really ruined the spirit of the ending for me. Once again they could have done this so much better, sold the single and still made it clever. Gotta give a penalty for this one (-0.5). Aya get's an A, but Kyoto Animation get's a D- for the ending. So overall it's something like 7- 1.5=5.5 and I round up since I'm not in the mood for being overly harsh. 6 is my final score.
Already said my piece on the karaoke sequence (I really don't call that part an ED, its part of the show). Its good that they had Kagami poke holes at her doing that though ("she's just mimicking!"). As much as I like Hirano's singing it was a minus from my opinion on show continuity.
Old 2007-04-25, 14:56   Link #87
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Points to them for being implicit on Kagami's state of dress ... but thats something the manga does (and really, its far more exciting to imply than to be explicit for those interested in that aspect of the show ... Kagami is pert, not 'nayuki-jiggle' after all (puts helmet on for any brickbats thrown)).
Nayuki-Jiggle.... Huh? Oh and I'm not sure what the term "Pert" means?
Old 2007-04-25, 15:04   Link #88
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Nayuki-Jiggle.... Huh? Oh and I'm not sure what the term "Pert" means?

Let me help: Nayuki-Jiggle = Ascaloth's old Nayuki avatar

Pert = Not-balloon-sized-that-bounces-all-over-the-place.

That help?

Old 2007-04-25, 15:18   Link #89
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Thank you

Kanon's Nayuki had that "bra barely contains the wonders within" sort of post-torso movement that hits the primal part of the male brain.

Kagami is not slacking in that department but they're the sort that can support their own weight and don't sag.

There.. now I've doomed myself in so many ways....

From the dictionary: pert ---
Etymology: Middle English, evident, attractive, saucy, short for apert evident, from Anglo-French, from Latin apertus open, from past participle of aperire to open
1 a : saucily free and forward : flippantly cocky and assured b : being trim and chic : JAUNTY <a pert little hat> c : piquantly stimulating <is a pert notion>
Old 2007-04-25, 15:22   Link #90
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post

Let me help: Nayuki-Jiggle = Ascaloth's old Nayuki avatar
Oh that thing. I remember being a bit spooked by that. It's up to others though to figure out what I mean by "spooked" though. I'm using it as a catch-all for many different thoughts.

Hey Vexx, are you scared of Nayuki fans doing something now that you've gone and spoiled the purity of the character a bit?
Old 2007-04-25, 16:27   Link #91
Samatarou
Son of God
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telliamed View Post
The Japanese word for twin sounds like "sausage"
Rather surprisingly, the words are in fact identical once you discount the different ways of writing long vowels in katakana v. hiragana: "souseiji" (ソーセージ and そうせいじ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama
Train Station: noticed during this sequence that Aya Hirano seemed to be speaking in her natural voice again for Konata
I don't think so, in interviews that I've heard she's incredibly soft spoken, in comparison her Konata sounds rather "cartoony" in the above scene. I can't think of any anime examples offhand where her voice sounds as soft as it does in real life, except perhaps her Mei in Manabi Straight, she usually adds an edge to it in her anime characters.

OK I have a question of my own, in the train station, in the LC sub they talk about "enlisted prizes" and "enlistment cards", I've never heard these terms before, but they seem to be talking about magazine giveaways where you send in a coupon and the first few out of the hat get the items. I couldn't make out the Japanese term being used, I wondered are the phrases LC used correct or is this some awkward translation?

Close this thread, Open the nexT
Old 2007-04-25, 16:44   Link #92
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

They jabber so fast I can't make it out... but the context sounds like they're referring to what we'd call "promotional prizes" and "entry cards".

As for "pert" and "jiggle" --- mostly it was the fact I'm caught actually paying attention to stuff like that. One can be pure and jiggle after all .... (personally I prefer pert ).

In some ways, Aya (and many other VAs) are kind of like Mel Blanc in that you're not quite sure they HAVE a 'daily natural voice' ... they always seem to be 'doing' a voice, its just part of their communication toolset like slang or professional-speak.
Old 2007-04-25, 16:57   Link #93
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
They jabber so fast I can't make it out... but the context sounds like they're referring to what we'd call "promotional prizes" and "entry cards".

As for "pert" and "jiggle" --- mostly it was the fact I'm caught actually paying attention to stuff like that. One can be pure and jiggle after all .... (personally I prefer pert ).

In some ways, Aya (and many other VAs) are kind of like Mel Blanc in that you're not quite sure they HAVE a 'daily natural voice' ... they always seem to be 'doing' a voice, its just part of their communication toolset like slang or professional-speak.
Mel Blanc was also a several pack a day smoker though, so even his natural voice changed drastically over short periods of time. More often than not he had one with him while he recording. Billy West and Dan Castellaneta are two of my favourites to bring up in the context of "What do they actually sound like". I remember an interview where Billy West just screwed with the guy the whole time by changing voice every minute or so. Now take that and look at any other interview of him and his "normal voice" is diiferent every time. It's especially apparent in this one though, because it just keeps changing little by little each time he answers a question.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2007-04-25 at 17:30.
Old 2007-04-25, 17:41   Link #94
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I vaguely remember an odd little "Night Gallery"(?) episode where Rich Little played a "guy with a thousand voices" on a date(?). She finally teased out of him his "core personality and voice" ... which turned out to be a very small child that never got to mature because of all the other "people" he spent time being. It was a fairly odd little story, typical Twilight Zone / Night Gallery stuff (not applicable here but ya know how free association of memory goes...).
Old 2007-04-25, 19:23   Link #95
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

The Rich Little and Mel Blanc stories were interesting.

As for Hirano Aya, I listen to her as much as I can and even then I don't know what her "real" voice sounds like. In her interview last night on NHK, she started off in a high burikko voice with every possible bit of Japanese politeness, then gradually settled over the hour into something slightly lower than that but higher than Haruhi. But she maintained what always seems to me like an artificial manner, but may just be normal Japanese courtesy. I wouldn't describe her voice as "soft" so much as high and her manner as controlled.

That was a great interview, by the way, even though she was clearly nervous and impressed with being on an NHK channel. They had a segment in which she did a pretend recording session for the part of SHnY where she drags Kyon up to the stairwell and starts forming the SOS-Dan. It was particularly interesting to see how she fell from the interview politeness into a concentrated professional manner, how she did facial expressions to go with the voice, and how she made a point of doing the heavy breathing for running up and down stairs.

I think it was on the interview last year where she first wowed them with being able to drop into the low register so easily that she said her normal voice was the high one, but I have some doubt. I think Vexx is right that such voice people may never really have a "normal" voice to go back to.

I didn't notice any change in her voice on the station platform, Kaioshin, but I'll go back and take a listen. I guess the shift in her voice at the end was "absurd," but I have to say that (a) my enjoyment of the singing made up for it, and (b) I'm a big fan of absurdity, in any case. For me, it was a trick that worked.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2007-04-25 at 21:20.
Old 2007-04-25, 19:36   Link #96
Village Idiot
Fate/ Stay Night

Finally, someone questions the nothing-but-murder-cases in Detective Conan.
Old 2007-04-25, 19:49   Link #97
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Just in case someone blinked... a.f.k. rendition of ep 3 has been released.
Old 2007-04-25, 21:16   Link #98
Level E
みwiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cai Calamigarde View Post
I was wondering;
why are they talking about smells everytime when the screen switches in while they are talking each other.
Because くさい doesn't have to refer to smell.
Kagami: Yah, that stunk (eg suck, foul oder, lame, corny, etc).
It's a slang and easy to apply to any topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Village Idiot View Post
They take a jab at that themselves. There was at least two times where Detective Mouri was called a Shinigami by Megure since whenever there was a murder, he was always there.
Old 2007-04-25, 21:18   Link #99
Sprint

Sure, translation notes should be avoided where possible, but...
Spoiler for broken pun:
I groaned.
Old 2007-04-25, 21:25   Link #100
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Village Idiot View Post
It's been poked on repeatedly in Conan itself as said. The inspectors all said that it's either Megure saying Mouri brings bad luck or Conan is cursed by the dimwitted inspector, one way or the other. Well, the times where there weren't murder cases...the inspectors weren't there, most of the time.

I'd say Kindaichi is a better questioning, since most of Kindaichi cases involve more than one murder at one time, even if 1/5th of the murders he's involved was through "invitation" to the scene of preplanned murder.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Closed Thread