Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-10-12, 22:42   Link #1
SeedFreedom
Hina is my goddess
*Graphic Designer

A certain character type

Im looking for an anime that has a certain female character type. I guess most people would group it with the tsundere catagory, but more of the gentle type. I want a girl who is strong, mental and possibly physically, but doesn't go around hitting or otherwise abusing others without a good cause. I'm looking for a more comedy/romance type anime so minimal magic is appreciated.

Examples - Good:
tomoyo: Only hits sunohara who mostly deserves it
Hinagiku: Strong presence but i dont think ive seen her actually hit anyone. and strong mentally
mai: Strong mentally and physically but doesnt mindless abuse people

Example - bad:
Haruhi: Mindlessly abuses kyon and mikiru. Makes me sick.
Kyou: Tends to hit first ask later.
Shana: Hits to hide insecurity. Still like the character, but not that trait of hers
Asa: first enterance into the anime is a random slap. Continues from there.

my anime list.

Thanks

Last edited by SeedFreedom; 2008-10-12 at 22:54.
Old 2008-10-12, 23:11   Link #2
GreatTeacherKen

I don't know if you've seen Mai-Hime, but Natsuki Kuga sounds like a character that may fit the bill. She seems cold and aloof at first but she's a nice person inside. And despite her fighting ability I don't recall her ever smacking around anyone outside of fight scenes for the sake of comedy. Actually, now that I think about, I don't recall much slapstick humor in the Mai franchise in general.
Old 2008-10-12, 23:19   Link #3
Rawgers
Nyaa~

School Rumble- Karen Ichijou

She rarely hurts anybody, but she is still very strong even though she looks extremely weak.
Old 2008-10-13, 00:05   Link #4
Theowne
耳をすませば

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeedFreedom View Post
Im looking for an anime that has a certain female character type. I guess most people would group it with the tsundere catagory, but more of the gentle type. I want a girl who is strong, mental and possibly physically, but doesn't go around hitting or otherwise abusing others without a good cause. I'm looking for a more comedy/romance type anime so minimal magic is appreciated.
Give Maison Ikkoku a try. Female character from the start is likeable and gentle, and it is the classic comedy/romance.
Old 2008-10-13, 02:50   Link #5
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Elfen Lied - Lucy/Nyu is a very interesting split personality. Strong then insanely cute.

Ergo Proxy - Re-l Mayer is a very strong/independent woman but has her soft spots as well.

Welcome to the NHK - Misaki is adorable yet is as capable of being sharp and decisive when needed.

Trigun - Meryl Strife and Milly Thompson are two great female characters. Meryl is very serious and anti-nonsense but definitely has a gentle side which gradually softens her and makes for hilarious watching. Milly is a very pure/honest person but is also capable of making them feel very humble/stupid and also amuses with her 8 foot frame.

Last Exile - Lavie, Sophia and Tatiana are females that stand tall in their walks of life and are definitely able to do anything the guys can do, if not better. They end up being very critical characters.

FLCL - Haruko is a very cool, fun female that turns Naota's utterly mundane life into something zany and hilarious, yet touching.

Shingetsutan Tsukihime - Arcueid, Ciel and Ahika are all feisty women with soft sides. Origins from the same game company that made Fate/Stay Night.

Samurai Champloo - Fuu handles herself very well in an alternate telling of Japan in 1600. Very sharp and resourceful but also cute and occasionally soft.

Chrono Crusade - Rosette is a very fiery, passionate, funny and kind girl, the 'nun with a gun' fending off evil in late 1920s America.

Genshiken - Saki, Ohno and Ogiue are good females that break the mold.

I was figuring you were after women who were fairly strong and were able to hold their own, but were vulnerable to people they liked or were friends with. Especially since series like Scrapped Princess, Fate/Stay Night and Full Metal Panic rated high on your list.

Hope that helps.
Old 2008-10-13, 11:29   Link #6
SeedFreedom
Hina is my goddess
*Graphic Designer

Thanks for the suggestions guys, but unfortunately many of these fall under the "magical girl" genre. I was looking for more of a comedy or romance thing, with imaginable situations. Maybe a tad unrealistic like Clannad or HNG. Ill check out Maison Ikkoku, and maybe pick up school rumble again.
Old 2008-10-14, 02:45   Link #7
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

There are no magical girls in any of my suggestions....And there is plenty of ceomdy or/and romance in those.....
Old 2008-10-14, 03:07   Link #8
Cynor
SS Bombardment Mage

I've only seen a few of the series (Elfen Lied and Shingetsutan Tsukihime mainly) that Last Sinner mentioned but I can confirm for the ones I have that there aren't any magical girls in there (and both are great series and should be watched anyways). However, I don't know how "imaginable" those situations could be. I mean I suppose they could happen, but it really sounds like you want something in the lines of Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien where all the stuff that happens there can happen easily. Although I wouldn't say it's much more of a stretch then Clannad was for the things in Elfen Lied to happen. In fact compared to Clannad I'd think something similar to Elfen Lied would be much more likely to happen... a couple hundred years or more in the future of course.

We will always exist before our Mistress of the Night Sky, Hayate
Old 2008-10-14, 15:52   Link #9
williamaugustus
*Author

Akuma to Love Song more or less fits your needs. Kawai Maria is a bright student from a prestigous school who is kicked out and transfered to a dump of a school. she has a bit of a dark outward appearence but really isnt bad at all. salthough she is picked on she does not give into people's rudeness and uses her wit to put them in their place (although they keep coming back for more).
Old 2008-10-14, 16:27   Link #10
Anime Daisuki

Hmm... maybe Chidori from FMP? She only hits Sousuke when he does something stupid and the show is absolutely hilarious.
Old 2008-10-14, 16:41   Link #11
Leedizzle

Chidori from FMP I'm sorry to say is an absolute b****.
Old 2008-10-14, 18:16   Link #12
SeedFreedom
Hina is my goddess
*Graphic Designer

I guess i used the term magical girl too loosely. I want something sorta realistic like Clannad or Kanon. Sure they have elements of magic, but the characters in general dont have magical powers or attacks. Shingetsutan Tsukihime, Elfen Leid, and FLCL (i dont know much about this one so i could be wrong) would fit there. NHK is one ive heard of so i'll give that a look. I cant seem to find Akuma to Love Song in my anime databases, mind giving me a link? and ive seen FMP, ya, i and ya i would put her under bad tsundere.

Thanks for all your suggestions guys, keep them comming if you have any more.
Old 2008-10-14, 19:58   Link #13
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leedizzle View Post
Chidori from FMP I'm sorry to say is an absolute b****.
What? Nonsense! Aside from the slapstick, she's clearly one of the more sensible, strong female characters in anime to fit the "tsundere" bill.

I second Akuma to Love Song though. The girl is exactly what I believe you want to see from your request.
Old 2008-10-14, 21:09   Link #14
Shadow Kira01

Based on your examples, here is a short list..

Good:

Night Wizard - Kureha
Rental Magica - Honami
Seto no Hanayome - Sun
The Aegis of Uruk - Kaya

Bad:

Seto no Hanayome - Lunar
Toradora - Taiga
Zero no Tsukaima - Louise
Old 2008-10-14, 23:02   Link #15
williamaugustus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeedFreedom View Post
I cant seem to find Akuma to Love Song in my anime databases, mind giving me a link?
http://www.onemanga.com/Akuma_to_Love_Song/
Old 2008-10-14, 23:30   Link #16
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Welcome to the NHK is decidedly not a show with any supernatural features. Some people might actually call it realistic, at least by anime standards. Whether Misaki is as innocent a character as you request is open to debate, but she certainly doesn't hit people.

I'm going to throw out two other shows that don't fit your norms in an obvious way, but might still fit your interests. In the first case, Kure-nai, the tsundere character is only eight, and her bodyguard is twice her age, so it's not exactly a romance (and, no, it's not loli either). This is a character-based show with a mixture of drama and comedy. Another show you might want to try, though it verges on the magical girl genre, is Video Girl Ai. Ai comes out of the male lead's VCR to help him connect with the girl of his dreams. I don't recall either girl being violent, though it's been quite a while since I watched this show.

Tsukamoto Yakumo in School Rumble is just about the prototype for a classy, quiet, lovely girl. She's not the main female lead, though; her ditzy sister Temna is. As mentioned, Ichijou Karen is also quite sweet even if she could whip most any boy in school. I also think Tenma's friend, the martial artist Suou Mikoto, fits your requirements though she's not a primary romantic focus. Then there's Sawachika Eri, whose "tsun" exterior hides a very "dere" interior.

All of the girls in Hidarmari Sketch are pretty much on the gentle side, though there's no romance in the show, just slice-of-life comedies about cute girls doing cute things. In another slice-of-life comedy, Azumanga Daioh, the girl named Sakaki is also a lovely young woman. No romance here, either, though.

Two younger girls who fit your description are Haruka, the heroine in Noein, and Yasako from Dennou Coil. Both these characters are not yet in high-school, though, so they may be too young for what you're looking for. And both shows are sci-fi dramas, though Dennou Coil has many comedic moments, especially in the first half of the series. Neither girl is a tsundere.

Finally I'll recommend taking a look at Sora from Oh! Edo Rocket. She's both lovely and mysterious, though not a tsundere. Rocket is a surreal comedy with a touch of romance.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2008-10-14 at 23:41.
Closed Thread