AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Boku wa Tomodachi...

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-11-02, 16:01   Link #21
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
This is just my own personal little gripe/hang-up (I'm saying this totally as an anime viewer only, whatever role on the forum I have totally notwithstanding), but I have to say that one of the things that kind of turned me off to this show is the fact that the fanbase constantly refers to Sena as "Meat" too. I totally understand why Yozora did it, and even that Sena has accepted it as her first nickname... but even if this is supposed to be part of her character (and all fanservice shows unavoidably objectify women), I still can't get over the disrespect of talking down about even a fictional character that way. I think that, even from what we've been shown in the show so far, there's actually a lot more going on in her character, and people referring to a large-breasted character as "meat" as some sort of term of endearment or "battle cry" doesn't send a good message about her good points to anyone. Yozora chose that term because it's an insult, and fans of the character referring to her in the same way seems just as insulting to me (and insulting to the intelligence of the show and its fanbase -- it's like we've become savages or something). So my wish is that fans of Sena would refer to her by name, because even as a fictional character, she's a lot more than just "meat". Again, I'm saying this totally as an individual fan, not anything else.

Anyway that's my own personal rant for whatever it's worth. I know everybody's just trying to have fun in the spirit of the show... but yeah. Now back to your regularly scheduled discussion...
That is a good note. This nickname isn't a good one, though there is a meaning to it, because the majority of peers really do just view her as a bag of meat, and ultimately she becomes defined by that term. And indeed this kind of attitude is insulting and demeaning, which actually reflects a lot on her character as you start to realize why she behaves like that.

She doesn't respect other people because others don't respect her, so she must feel superior by excelling. And by excelling, people get even more jealous of her.

So on second thought, I guess a fan of her shouldn't constantly call her that considering what it really means. Maybe.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-11-02, 16:11   Link #22
Rozen Van Kaizer
Rozen Von Keiser

Never Called Sena meat but I never thought of that nickname as an insult. I keep hearing a lot of people calling her that but I highly doubt they meant it in a wrong or disrespectful way.

They could be Sadists or see Sena in Yozora's point of view. To me, them saying "Meat" was like them saying "Omg so Mthrfkn Sexy I just want to eat that peace of-"

I know Sena has more traits than her sexy figure but "Meat" is probably more of a complement to her beauty from fans. I'm pretty sure fans know she's also smart, very focused and a hard worker. It gives out that sense of surprise package to people when they just heard about a character because of one trait that everyone talks about. Of course if they are interested enough to actually check her out, there's actually more to this person that they expected.

Besides Sena was happy she had a nickname.
Old 2011-11-02, 17:20   Link #23
Dahak86
Classics never age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozen Van Kaizer View Post
Never Called Sena meat but I never thought of that nickname as an insult. I keep hearing a lot of people calling her that but I highly doubt they meant it in a wrong or disrespectful way.

I know Sena has more traits than her sexy figure but "Meat" is probably more of a complement to her beauty from fans.
yep, pretty much. Thinking that fans are expressingly using it as an insult towards her character is ridiculous at best.
Personally, I only view it as a funny-joke. no more, no less. Certainly nothing to be taken too seriously (I'm looking at you: Ben-To thread)
oh, and btw it undeniably fits her, for obvious reasons.
Old 2011-11-02, 17:29   Link #24
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
To me, them saying "Meat" was like them saying "Omg so Mthrfkn Sexy I just want to eat that peace of-"
Yes, that's exactly what it is. Those fans are slobbering all over her just like her "servants" who like to be stepped-on by her. In the story, she doesn't even consider those boys as people or potential friends. Life imitating art?

Quote:
Besides Sena was happy she had a nickname.
Yes, but that's from Yozora, and part of that coming from her is jealousy. I don't think she'd take it the same way if it had been from Kodaka from the start. As Kodaka says in Episode 3, it's more of an insult than a nickname.

Anyway... I guess it's just my pet peeve. It's not that I think people are meaning to be insulting by it, but I personally think it's a nickname that's inevitably insulting coming from a guy towards a girl in this sort of context. Maybe that's a stupid way of thinking... but I had to get it off my chest anyway. "Food for thought"... pun not intended.
Old 2011-11-02, 17:34   Link #25
Forsaken_Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfriback View Post
Anyway, it seems 90% of the forum population eats meat, not suprising, people is usually carnivorous.
People usually are omnivorous, would be hard to live off just meat

I like Sena but I am another hater of her nickname. Too bad there is probably not a single beauty like her that actually plays eroge ._.
Old 2011-11-02, 17:35   Link #26
potchip

Meat partially came about from monster hunter (hint hint timing of nickname change, briefly Sena was 'cow') as well, it being the common item in the game, meaning lowest of the low.
Old 2011-11-02, 17:37   Link #27
Rozen Van Kaizer
Rozen Von Keiser

Or would you guys want another anime character to take Sena's "Meat" tittle? The nickname given by someone who is in no doubt, one way or another, a special person to her. The first sign of real true friendship between 2 girls who were alone without a friend most of their lives.

This is like selling an Ice to an Eskimo...

Its true other people use "Meat" as a little insult to Sena. I don't really use her nickname much but I'll just be pessimistic about it bad just be glad she has a nickname.
Old 2011-11-02, 17:46   Link #28
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Anyway that's my own personal rant for whatever it's worth. I know everybody's just trying to have fun in the spirit of the show... but yeah. Now back to your regularly scheduled discussion...
I would call Sena niku for the exact same reason as Yozora. That's probably why I rarely do call her by that nickname.
Old 2011-11-02, 17:53   Link #29
christinemarie
Crazy One

That's why I don't call her with any other name and got it crossed out. Yozora gave her a lot of names of insults, but Sena never budge since she really is determined to have real friends so words like that won't affect her, she even delighted that she got scolded by someone of her age in episode 03. I know she just told Kodaka how happy she was to have a nickname but in reality she just being patient about it like how she doesn't even show any wordly reaction during the wordly confrontation between Rika and Yozora in episode 04 until the last few minutes.

Sena is actually a M given the previous four episodes and pretends to be a S. Funny how she's busy playing PS3 and PSP during the span of fourth episode and not taking any action.
Old 2011-11-02, 18:44   Link #30
Rozen Van Kaizer
Rozen Von Keiser

Yes I love Sena's determination. I can't argue with her when she claims herself a genius, perfect, prodigy, goddess, etc. because she works hard on it. Other Ojou-sama characters mostly had everything served to them in a silver platter. She does have the advantage of being a fast learner though.

But most of all I love every single interaction she has with Yozora. It's like we knew alot about her already (I'm pretty sure we still don't) and if feels like we know Yozora is the person she needs. But that's just me saying as I watch her get pounded by Yozora. They are the main-primary reason I watch this anime.
Old 2011-11-02, 19:03   Link #31
Rethice
Kingslayer

Send a message via AIM to Rethice Send a message via MSN to Rethice
I'm sure Yukiatsu in Ano Hana didn't appreciate being called Manma, and that was both a fanmade nickname, AND far more insulting, but I didn't see anyone ride to his rescue?

All this over speculation of how we may be hurting the feelings of a fictional character aside, it is a name she is given by another character in the series. I'm sure I speak for all of the fans when I say we use it just as harmlessly as Anjou fans use the nickname Anaru (Ano Hana again).

As for analyzing the meaning behind the nickname and Yozora's reason for creating it and using it - knock yourselves out, but it has nothing to do with us "lusting" fan members.

TLDL: Why so serious?
Old 2011-11-02, 19:38   Link #32
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rethice View Post
All this over speculation of how we may be hurting the feelings of a fictional character aside
Incidentally, this has nothing to do with anything. Of course it's impossible to "hurt her feelings" (). But like other slurs and quasi-insults, it simply lowers my opinion of those who would use it. Basically, I think it makes the fanbase look bad. Of course, that's just my own opinion (and I'm not trying to imply that other people can't disagree with that and not find it insulting at all).
Old 2011-11-02, 19:41   Link #33
.:Jason:.
~The Radiant Protector~

Send a message via AIM to .:Jason:. Send a message via MSN to .:Jason:.
As far a nicknames for characters go, I agree that there should be a nicer alternative to Meat. Who knows, maybe if she gets a nicer one in series than fans might switch over to that one.

Set by TheEroKing.
Old 2011-11-02, 19:48   Link #34
Shimapan
Try me! <3

Quote:
Sena's reason why she didn't have much friends is the most unrealistic to me (probably together with Kodaka and his misunderstandings). I mean cmon even if you have all those boys you cant have every single girl hate you. Infact, getting girl-friends will be as easy specially with all those boys following you.
You're underestimating the competitiveness of girls. With all the other girls being green of envy for her success, it's not strange that the other girls are avoiding her. If anything, I'm a bit surprised that she's not mobbed by especially envious girls for being so popular with the guys.

Quote:
Plus she has the fortune too, who ever said money can't buy you friends probably never heard of how money can still bring friends.
Wrong, money *can't* buy friends. Money can ony attract greedy people who'll do anything to get the money, including pretending to be a friend, but that's it.
Old 2011-11-02, 19:54   Link #35
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Incidentally, this has nothing to do with anything. Of course it's impossible to "hurt her feelings" (). But like other slurs and quasi-insults, it simply lowers my opinion of those who would use it. Basically, I think it makes the fanbase look bad. Of course, that's just my own opinion (and I'm not trying to imply that other people can't disagree with that and not find it insulting at all).
Not that your point has no merit necessarily, but it is also assuming and generalizing the intentions of people who do use the term. I am very doubtful in general that people are intentionally calling Sena meat with the motive of degrading her very character. Rather, I'd find it far more believable that it is being used mostly as a term of endearment, which is no surprise considering it has largely been played off for comedy in this series.

That being said, you are not necessarily wrong about what the term carries considering that Yozora intentionally meant it as a slur against Sena... But considering the very nature of this show is to play off off the comedic nature of their hateful or broken personalities in a very playful manner, I find it a bit disingenuous so suggest that people have such ill spirited intentions.

Disclaimer: I've barely posted anything in this subforum so I haven't called Sena anything but Sena.
Old 2011-11-02, 19:58   Link #36
Rethice
Kingslayer

Send a message via AIM to Rethice Send a message via MSN to Rethice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
But considering the very nature of this show is to play off off the comedic nature of their hateful or broken personalities in a very playful manner, I find it a bit disingenuous so suggest that people have such ill spirited intentions.
This sums it up perfectly.
Old 2011-11-02, 20:07   Link #37
Dahak86
Classics never age

Quote:
Basically, I think it makes the fanbase look bad.
I think there are far "worse" things that can make the fanbase look bad
btw, and totally unrelated, you just made me remind of those people who use to say that 'booth babes' at gaming conventions are part of what makes gamers "look bad"

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:Jason:. View Post
As far a nicknames for characters go, I agree that there should be a nicer alternative to Meat. Who knows, maybe if she gets a nicer one in series than fans might switch over to that one.
highly unlikely
Old 2011-11-02, 20:33   Link #38
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

I only use it after she shows she like the nickname, and I use it purely as a nickname, without meaning. Mind you, she actually like that nickname.
Like how I call one of my friend "Inu", and even though he knows the meaning, he doesn't feel insulted at all, just because he like it. I also use it as a nickname, without any meaning.

For the record, I like flat chest girl.
Old 2011-11-02, 21:30   Link #39
Rozen Van Kaizer
Rozen Von Keiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimapan View Post
You're underestimating the competitiveness of girls. With all the other girls being green of envy for her success, it's not strange that the other girls are avoiding her. If anything, I'm a bit surprised that she's not mobbed by especially envious girls for being so popular with the guys.
But there has to be a single girl in the campus who can agree to "hang around and chill" with her right? My Japanese friends informed me about this issue in Japan and it really bugles(spelling?) my mind because its as easy as approaching a person and saying hi, meet people they know and so on and so on. Even in Japanese culture, not all girls in campus are competitive for guys right? Besides who doesn't want to hang out with a perfect girl?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimapan View Post
Wrong, money *can't* buy friends. Money can ony attract greedy people who'll do anything to get the money, including pretending to be a friend, but that's it.
OK now this is really getting me. I may have underestimated Sena's desire to have a friend. Having a "friend" and a Real Friend can be 2 different things but can also be very similar. Because in my logic, for a rich girl like her, it doesn't really matter if they are just pretending to be her friend or what ever the case, as long as there is someone to keep her company.

My point, in my opinion, in my limited knowledge, it is almost impossible up to 99.9% for a rich girl like her not to have a girl-friend, fake or not. There should be another girl hanging out with her like most rich girls out there.
Old 2011-11-02, 21:39   Link #40
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
But there has to be a single girl in the campus who can agree to "hang around and chill" with her right? My Japanese friends informed me about this issue in Japan and it really bugles(spelling?) my mind because its as easy as approaching a person and saying hi, meet people they know and so on and so on. Even in Japanese culture, not all girls in campus are competitive for guys right? Besides who doesn't want to hang around with a rich girl?
Different in culture, mate.
If you go acting like her, there is a very low chance you could find a single friend. It's not about competing for guys. It's about your attitude. If you leave a bad impression, chance is it will spread like fire, and hating you become a norm. After that, no one will approach you, or try to, unless they don't care what other people think about them, or they have some business with you.

And who said she loves to shell out cash to get friends? As far as I know (or read), she has never show she has a lot of cash to waste. That's one thing I like about her, a rich girl doesn't think everything could be solved with money, and spend them just like an ordinary girl (which is the same as one of my friend). She doesn't use her money to her advantage, and she doesn't want a friend by using money.

Mind you, people with a lot of cash always know those who gather around them mostly are not their friends. Sena want a true friend.

Tags
characters