AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-12-20, 02:05   Link #621
Gooral
Banned

@Reckoner
I'm not talking about this episode, there were several posts where I've written an elaborate showing shortcomings of this show. And I'm watching this anime since I'm a HxH fan (check out manga thread here for proof, although I post more on MH) so even the fact I can watch it in HD is enough for me to continue doing it. Also, I will definitely want to watch chimera ant arc which wasn't animated so far. As for "it's not worth writing you don't like it", going by your line of thought it's not worth discussing this anime at all unless you praise it, lol. I don't see how writing "I love this anime" is any better than "I don't like this anime". In fact, contrary to most I'm using arguments to support my opinion.
Gooral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-20, 03:22   Link #622
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

I never said anything about your right to express an opinion. This is a forum where anything is allowed of course so long as its civil. If you got that from my post, you're reading too much into it.

What I am saying though is that you seemed awfully negative in general and I don't think you'd like it any better going forward, so I suggested dropping it. Not because I am too pansy to handle your opinion, but because you just don't seem to enjoy watching this show too much so far.

Unless you're deriving entertainment by writing out negative reviews on a show, I just don't see what's up at this juncture. If by episode 40 you're still around and doing the same thing, you're basically having fun trashing the show, which really is about the same as a troll which does little than to drag down the quality of discussion since it stops being constructive criticism at a certain point.

Anyways, lets not have this conversation continue here any further. Take it up with me in VM/PM if you wish.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-20, 05:52   Link #623
monir
cho~ kakkoii

For what it's worth I can empathize with what Gooral is saying. I'm one of the very few fans who have sat through Hunter x Hunter when anime like Naruto and One Piece were enjoying massive popularity at the time. Hunter x Hunter was already a few years old when Naruto started airing. If not for Torrent-boom, HxH still probably remains one of the more obscure anime popularity wise. Anyway, to get to my point.... HxH wasn't the typical shounen series that started with a bang. It was slow (and at times, very slow) at developing the story, but not without a definite purpose as we would discover later. I even dare say that the anime was one of the few series that kick started the Slice of Life (however you define it in the present) genre with that particular pacing and the right blend of music to bring out the atmosphere and the mood which typify a Slice of Life series. Yet, HxH was a shounen series through and through. I haven't watched the previous version in a while but I can tell you some of my most favorite memories of the show come from moments like Gon's first encounter with Hisoka, and the second with the badge, and Killua's encounter with the prisoner who was rather in it for the killing than reducing the time he would have to serve and few more that are yet to come for this new version. I can also tell you how flat this new version falls compare to the old ones in those moments I thought made HxH special. Yes, the old one dragged a bit at the beginning, but as the show progressed through the story, it became very apparent how necessary those moments were to build up the events that were to come later. Gon's first encounter with Hisoka has no meaning without the set up episodes that took a few more than couple. Gon's second encounter with Hisoka was even more powerful because the previous encounter helped build the emotion the fans would invest on later.

Like many prior HxH fans I was also excited to see this re-do of this series because I was hoping that the show would take the opportunity to tidy things up those moments that dragged a bit in the beginning in HxH. I was also excited about the prospect of seeing the new CG technology which would make the fight scenes look better. Thus far, this new version has been a big disappointment in every respect at capturing the essence of HxH storytelling which set it apart from a typical shounen series. The action scene are just as anti-climactic and low budgeted. The show did not improve the HxH at all. It's actually feel like an entirely different series at times, like an alternate retelling. Like Gooral I can't warm up to this new version of HxH at all, so I do understand what he is saying here.

I also wonder how this new version of HxH is impressing on the fans who are watching it for the first time.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-20, 06:21   Link #624
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

I'm sort of a 1st time viewer. I only watched a couple of episodes a long time ago, nothing consistent like now. I like the current series. I wasn't bored with the current episode either.

You guys keep forgeting that the air time in Japan is about 10:30 AM on Sundays. Didn't they have a murder involving an axe a while ago? (School Days was a victim of this incident also.) Halberd is not easily obtainable so kids can't emulate it.

Times have changed. The 99 series fans need to adjust.
Old 2011-12-20, 09:41   Link #625
Toto y Moi
Amor Fati

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
I haven't watched the previous version in a while but I can tell you some of my most favorite memories of the show come from moments like Gon's first encounter with Hisoka, and the second with the badge, and Killua's encounter with the prisoner who was rather in it for the killing than reducing the time he would have to serve and few more that are yet to come for this new version. I can also tell you how flat this new version falls compare to the old ones in those moments I thought made HxH special. Yes, the old one dragged a bit at the beginning, but as the show progressed through the story, it became very apparent how necessary those moments were to build up the events that were to come later. Gon's first encounter with Hisoka has no meaning without the set up episodes that took a few more than couple. Gon's second encounter with Hisoka was even more powerful because the previous encounter helped build the emotion the fans would invest on later.
Gon's relationship with Hisoka is very different in the 1999 series than it is in the manga/2011 series. I'll go into it in more detail when the time comes. But Gon's first encounter with Hisoka was definitely done better in the 2011 series, I feel.

Quote:
Like many prior HxH fans I was also excited to see this re-do of this series because I was hoping that the show would take the opportunity to tidy things up those moments that dragged a bit in the beginning in HxH. I was also excited about the prospect of seeing the new CG technology which would make the fight scenes look better. Thus far, this new version has been a big disappointment in every respect at capturing the essence of HxH storytelling which set it apart from a typical shounen series. The action scene are just as anti-climactic and low budgeted. The show did not improve the HxH at all. It's actually feel like an entirely different series at times, like an alternate retelling. Like Gooral I can't warm up to this new version of HxH at all, so I do understand what he is saying here.

I also wonder how this new version of HxH is impressing on the fans who are watching it for the first time.
The new series is reestablishing canon, since the 1999 series broke it immensely. As far as the animation/art goes, I've found all of the action scenes to be more exciting than in their 1999 version. Gon vs the Kiriko, Gon and Killua's game against Netero, Kurapika's fight against Majitani, Hisoka's fight against Togari, etc. The only one of these scenes that had better animation in the 1999 series was Gon and Killua vs Netero--even then, the 1999 series neglected to faithfully adapt Gon and Killua's fighting styles.

I think your last sentence is key--the people who are watching this for the first time are enjoying it. A lot of fans of the 1999 series aren't trying to watch the series in this manner, but comparing the two series without actually following all three back to back. This is a problem.
Toto y Moi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-20, 10:32   Link #626
TheKage

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Times have changed. The 99 series fans need to adjust.
That's the least constructive thing to say to anyone, least of all people you would want to stop ranting.

Aside from my own major gripes (since I liked certain scenes from the manga a lot more than others do), I think it's doing pretty good, especially ratings-wise. I want to see this anime get passed Greed Island and go into the Chimera Ant arc. I'll probably not watch the anime when it gets to Greed Island since well... comparing a TV series to a manga that got OVAs probably won't do well with me since I thought the OVAs animated the manga quite well there.
TheKage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-20, 11:27   Link #627
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Well if people thought the 99 show was better, I'm not going to say anything, but it should be clear at this point especially by the comparisons someone has been posting that the 99 series and the 2011 series are considerably different beasts.

A lot of people here aren't simply complaining about lack of impact of scenes but also tonal differences, which doesn't make sense since this was meant as a more faithful adaption. In the long run it doesn't make too much sense to harp on these tonal differences.

Still for what it's worth, I'm enjoying this show so far, though I wish there wasn't the kind of censorship they keep employing.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-20, 11:43   Link #628
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKage View Post
That's the least constructive thing to say to anyone, least of all people you would want to stop ranting.

Aside from my own major gripes (since I liked certain scenes from the manga a lot more than others do), I think it's doing pretty good, especially ratings-wise. I want to see this anime get passed Greed Island and go into the Chimera Ant arc. I'll probably not watch the anime when it gets to Greed Island since well... comparing a TV series to a manga that got OVAs probably won't do well with me since I thought the OVAs animated the manga quite well there.
I thought it was realistic considering the situation which is better than constructive.Times have changed. People worry about violence exposure to kids. This title is in a morning block on a Sunday which screams "kids" to me. With the murder case, expecting an axe to be used as a weapon just wasn't realistic tome.

Resigning to the fact that this series is targeting a different audience is also something that the 99 series fans should consider.
Old 2011-12-20, 13:15   Link #629
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
New viewer here, and I like it a lot. I'm enjoying the fact that a lot of stuff is presented in a very subtle way, and the audience isn't being hit over the head with what they're supposed to think. I enjoy that the focus has been on mind-screwing rather than battles, and that it hasn't shied away from showing some fairly grim stuff. I like the slow build of each character, and how all of the main four represent a very different approach with their own strengths and weaknesses. And I like how Gon is presented not as a bland shounen hero, but as a kind of wild animal who isn't remotely bothered by some of the chilling things he sees.

It hasn't been perfect, but I've enjoyed it a lot. I thought it was very ballsy and clever to use "bored" as the eyecatch for the last episode - most series (espeically shounen) wouldn't have dared to spend the entire first half showing everyone pissing each other off in what looked like a motel room. But you learn a lot about characters in a situation like that, and I think we did, if the viewer was willing to look.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-20, 14:24   Link #630
Simonsy

To all those who are bitching non stop.

Please go back and watch the 1999 series from beginning to up to this point, and NO SKIPPING ANYTHING.

I know I couldn't. The 1999 series was so drawn out and dragged out and filler induced mess.

I have a friend who never saw the 1999 series and I wanted him to get into the series but never wanted to show him that series cause knew he would get bored. This new series came out and I showed him it and he was hooked big time. Only had four episodes at that point though and he wanted to watch more. So I turned on the 1999 series for him and we did end up watching to about this point and then he quit. He doesn't want to watch Hunter Hunter anymore until the 2011 version is farther ahead. He did not like the 1999 version at all. I even had skipped the two filler ship episodes for him.

I haven't watched this weeks yet, but sounds like everyone was bored first half cause you had to watch them do nothing while waiting essentially. Maybe that was madhouse's point. I mean Gon and the gang had to wait out some 70 hours or whatever it was, maybe madhouse wanted to instill into the viewers just how boring that would be.
Simonsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-20, 15:44   Link #631
Gooral
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonsy View Post
Please go back and watch the 1999 series from beginning to up to this point, and NO SKIPPING ANYTHING.
I did just that once new anime started and I was dissatisfied with the first episode. Once I started watching first episode of old anime for comparison I didn't stop until I finished the whole thing.
Quote:
The 1999 series was so drawn out and dragged out and filler induced mess.
No it wasn't dragged out and no it wasn't filler induced (show me 50+ episodes shounen that has less fillers because I can't think of anything except Gintama). There were residual amounts of filler in this anime, in fact there was so little of it that new anime might even top the old one (even when comparing first 13 episodes). And the filler that was present was only at the start and it was so well written that I didn't even notice it was filler the first time I've watched it (even though I've read manga earlier). Fillers in HxH were directed very well and served as means to let the audience get to know characters better and bond with them. Maybe they were made more likeable than in the manga (e.g. Gon was more sympathetic and less egoistic and was willing to go back for Leorio) but that was a good thing IMO. The changes that were made improved original material and the way story was presented to us made things really interesting.

As for it being slow-paced, that way everything was more logical and natural, e.g. instead of showing Gon catching the fish on his first try and later telling us by some randoms that he was practicing for a week in the old anime he had to do it a couple of times until he succeeded (telling us that wasn't necessary anymore although the information was still there which made it perfect). The same information was presented in a more believable way. Also, every episode ended thanks to it in a right moment making the story more interesting. There are more such examples in this thread but I don't want to repeat myself.

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2011-12-21 at 00:07.
Gooral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-20, 16:00   Link #632
Simonsy

First I was not talking about the entire Hunter Hunter 1999 series.

I was talking about only up to this point in the anime that the 2011 series has reached.

This new series did the beginning of Hunter x Hunter much better. The 1999 series was like 1/4 filler up to this point.
Simonsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-20, 17:16   Link #633
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
For what it's worth I can empathize with what Gooral is saying. I'm one of the very few fans who have sat through Hunter x Hunter when anime like Naruto and One Piece were enjoying massive popularity at the time. Hunter x Hunter was already a few years old when Naruto started airing. If not for Torrent-boom, HxH still probably remains one of the more obscure anime popularity wise. Anyway, to get to my point.... HxH wasn't the typical shounen series that started with a bang. It was slow (and at times, very slow) at developing the story, but not without a definite purpose as we would discover later. I even dare say that the anime was one of the few series that kick started the Slice of Life (however you define it in the present) genre with that particular pacing and the right blend of music to bring out the atmosphere and the mood which typify a Slice of Life series. Yet, HxH was a shounen series through and through. I haven't watched the previous version in a while but I can tell you some of my most favorite memories of the show come from moments like Gon's first encounter with Hisoka, and the second with the badge, and Killua's encounter with the prisoner who was rather in it for the killing than reducing the time he would have to serve and few more that are yet to come for this new version. I can also tell you how flat this new version falls compare to the old ones in those moments I thought made HxH special. Yes, the old one dragged a bit at the beginning, but as the show progressed through the story, it became very apparent how necessary those moments were to build up the events that were to come later. Gon's first encounter with Hisoka has no meaning without the set up episodes that took a few more than couple. Gon's second encounter with Hisoka was even more powerful because the previous encounter helped build the emotion the fans would invest on later.

I can empathize for another reason: I know what it is to like watching a series, and yet have nothing but bad things to say about it. For me it was Gundam Seed. I like watching giant mechs fight, but when it comes to talking about it... screwing with guys who think it's some kind of physics textbook is a lot more fun than saying "whoa" over and over.

That said, I don't really get the complaints that it's different from the 1999 series. The manga's what matters, or you can just rewatch the 1999 series and drop this one. I'm not saying 2011's doesn't have its weaknesses, but "being different from the 1999 series" isn't one of them. Not by itself. (And yes, I did watch the 1999 series, for those who wonder.)
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-20, 18:31   Link #634
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.

i like the old series, at first i didnt wanted to watch this remake because it looked like it was gonna be the 4kids version of the 1999 series, but things got better than expected, maybe i have a problem with the color palette, but that would be all, i just readed the manga recently and this version its obviosly more accurate to the manga, this season its blodier, also after reading the manga its clear that they had to do a reboot since in the old series they changed many things that wouldnt have fitted with what happened so far in the manga.
Spoiler for examples:
Old 2011-12-20, 19:54   Link #635
Kirarakim

I usually drop a series if I dislike it so much. I mean why follow something if you are displeased with it?

Anyways I actually enjoyed this episode...loved the Gon & Killua bonding/pillow fight. I think it's getting predictable with me saying how much I enjoy the Gon & Killua scenes every episode.
Old 2011-12-20, 21:37   Link #636
TheKage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonsy View Post
...He did not like the 1999 version at all. I even had skipped the two filler ship episodes for him...
I have a friend who so hates the 2011 version over the 1999 version that kept telling a fan of the 2011 version to watch the 1999 version. The 2011 fan went to watch all of 1999 show through the badge hunting. She actually liked it all and is now a fan of both versions. Ship filler and all.

To orion: The point is that people who will continuously rant and have nothing good to say won't listen to you if you tell them that they "need" to do something. They won't listen. You turn them off from whatever you want them to hear. If they haven't gotten a clue that yes the violence will just have to be censored given its timeslot and the times by now, they won't be getting it later.

For whether or not to drop a series a person dislikes: Whenever people talk about a series to discuss why they dislike it, a lot people will always say "Did you even watch it?" If they say no they stopped, the others will obviously say that they need to have watched more. But then if they do watch and dislike it, people will also say they should just drop it so obviously sometimes a person will just have to choose one way or another. It always seemed better to continue to watch a series and dislike it over stopping and disliking.
TheKage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-20, 21:48   Link #637
Kirarakim

When I dislike a series so strongly as some people on here obviously do then I have never regretted dropping a series.

But then again I don't have the time to waste on something I don't like just because "it might get better".

Besides most people who are complaining about the series are either manga readers or fans of the 1999 series (mostly the latter) so they know what to expect. They might enjoy the series more once it gets past the parts the 1999 series covered & they don't have to compare but until then...
Old 2011-12-20, 22:40   Link #638
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKage View Post
For whether or not to drop a series a person dislikes: Whenever people talk about a series to discuss why they dislike it, a lot people will always say "Did you even watch it?" If they say no they stopped, the others will obviously say that they need to have watched more. But then if they do watch and dislike it, people will also say they should just drop it so obviously sometimes a person will just have to choose one way or another. It always seemed better to continue to watch a series and dislike it over stopping and disliking.
Now for me, if I dislike something, I stop watching it. Time's to short to waste it on something that I don't like. There's other titles out there to watch.
Old 2011-12-20, 23:17   Link #639
NJZanDatsu

Quote:
Now for me, if I dislike something, I stop watching it. Time's to short to waste it on something that I don't like. There's other titles out there to watch.
Same here. If I don't like an anime I drop it, and watch something else.
NJZanDatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-21, 00:52   Link #640
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
That's pretty much my current policy. Of course a few years back I pretty much stuck with everything since I had the time for it. Though that did leave me watching some series I really would have been better off giving up on. Rather than hoping I'd end up enjoying it or just wanting to see how they ended.

Anyways, I've enjoyed the series so far. Haven't really seen the older version so going into this pretty fresh. No shock of course that opinions are divided. If only because people can really get attached to the first version of something they see. Can at least tip the scale in terms of the version people would prefer.

Tags
action, shounen