AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-04-12, 03:38   Link #3221
Solachinx
is a myth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanutbutter003 View Post
Another thing about Kyon's name is that it sounded impressive. I really do wonder the point of keeping his name that way. Is his real name a sort of spoiler of anything?
Sasaki said it was a majestic name that did not suit him. I'll laugh if his real name is John Smith.
Old 2009-04-12, 03:50   Link #3222
fiendmaw
The Fiendman

Maybe the name of a great japanese historical figure,or a name that translates into something cool,like Ryuuji(lol).
Old 2009-04-12, 03:52   Link #3223
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solachinx View Post
Sasaki said it was a majestic name that did not suit him. I'll laugh if his real name is John Smith.
Except it isn't. One, Kyon pointed out that the name was an obvious fake. Two, that would result in Haruhi either being a complete moron or the best damn actress in the entire world.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2009-04-12, 04:04   Link #3224
baltakatei

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnab View Post
It's true that which character is based on Tanigawa's wife may not have any bearing to the story. Yet if I'm the author I wouldn't want to tip my hand, as it would prejudice my readers and possibly ruin expectations. Whether Tanigawa is or isn't Kyon, there are some interesting speculations. I read somewhere (and a quick Google reconfirms) that in Japanese first day homeroom the boys and girls are alternating seated in phonetic kana orders (per gender), so while Kyon sat in front of Suzumiya, behind her was Taniguchi. So what's the closest name that comes before Taniguchi? Tanige? Tanigi? Taniga? A coincidence from a detailed obsessed studio? An inside joke? Or another anime only fact supplied by the closely collaborating author? Who knows? Who cares, as long as the guesses themselves are part of the entertainment.

No facts, just speculations and 6 more weeks to kill.
Well, let's beat this speculation to death:

I just checked the faces of all the observable characters in Class 1-5 pre-seating-change as seen during Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu I. Males and females indeed follow japanese kana patterns:

Males:
column 1: Arakawa, Uematsu, Kakinouchi
column 2: Kunikida, Goto
column 3: Sakaki, "Kyon", Taniguchi
column 4: Tejima, Toyohara
column 5: Nakashima, Hanase?, Matsushiro? <--hard to differentiate last two
column 6: Yamane, Yoshizaki

Females:
column 1: Asakura, Onoki
column 2: Kenmochi, Saeki, Sakanaka
column 3: Suzuki, Suzumiya
column 4: Seno, Takato, Naruzaki
column 5: Nishijima, Hayama
column 6: Hinata, Yanagimoto, Yura.

Oh, and Arakawa and Takato are confirmed East Junior High students.

But yes, "Kyon" most definitely has a family name between "Sakaki" and "Taniguchi". "Tanigawa" would fit in there nicely. =P

And as a side note, I'm amazed that they paid enough attention to each NPC to give them little touches like these:
Old 2009-04-12, 04:27   Link #3225
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanutbutter003 View Post
Another thing about Kyon's name is that it sounded impressive. I really do wonder the point of keeping his name that way. Is his real name a sort of spoiler of anything?
Tanigawa had only made up his name about halfway through. He also said that it'll be revealed eventually, but it won't be a last-minute thing.

Probably not too important, no. Just more of Kyon obscuring his identity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiendmaw View Post
Maybe the name of a great japanese historical figure,or a name that translates into something cool,like Ryuuji(lol).
I can easily imagine something foreign, as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baltakatei View Post
And as a side note, I'm amazed that they paid enough attention to each NPC to give them little touches like these:
I've always said that Tanigawa should write some sort of gaiden story about the classmates and their reactions to the weirdness going on in the back left corner of their classroom.

"Today in Class 1-5"?
Old 2009-04-12, 04:54   Link #3226
Solachinx
is a myth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
Except it isn't. One, Kyon pointed out that the name was an obvious fake. Two, that would result in Haruhi either being a complete moron or the best damn actress in the entire world.
I never said it was or that I believed it was. I just think it's hilarious when they least likely option is revealed to be a huge plot device. Plus, they never showed an indication that Haruhi knows Kyon's name, but it is inferred that she knows it, since they're classmates.
Old 2009-04-12, 05:18   Link #3227
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
I never said it was or that I believed it was. I just think it's hilarious when they least likely option is revealed to be a huge plot device. Plus, they never showed an indication that Haruhi knows Kyon's name, but it is inferred that she knows it, since they're classmates.
They all know Kyon's name, Koizumi introduces him by it in Lone Island, and given how much Kyon hates his nickname I doubt he'd refer to himself as "Kyon".
Old 2009-04-12, 07:21   Link #3228
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Of course she knows his name. Nearly everyone knows his name.

Nobody ever uses it though.
Old 2009-04-12, 09:24   Link #3229
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Because everyone calling him a nickname he hates is funny.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2009-04-12, 11:33   Link #3230
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

It's incredibly funny how in fan fiction you'll often have Kyon introduce himself as "Kyon".

It's like people didn't even watch the series before deciding to write crappy fanfiction.
Old 2009-04-12, 11:58   Link #3231
ClockWorkAngel
Aspiring Aspirer

Send a message via MSN to ClockWorkAngel
It would be excusable for kids, not so much for the teenagers. Heck, my writing started with crappy fanficition(In my defense I was 12 ish). Yes, it is awfully funny, and awfully sad too.

It's more like people don't bother to read the novels before writing crappy fanficiton .

Credit To Risa-chan!
Old 2009-04-12, 18:24   Link #3232
Dakota
disregard that (″°-°)ﺩ-

Send a message via AIM to Dakota Send a message via MSN to Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by baltakatei View Post
Well, let's beat this speculation to death:

I just checked the faces of all the observable characters in Class 1-5 pre-seating-change as seen during Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu I.
This is fucking clever.

But what does it actually say by Kyon's head?
Old 2009-04-12, 18:30   Link #3233
wittyusername
GRADE 8 NIGHTMARE VORTEX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
But what does it actually say by Kyon's head?
I'm pretty sure that in that picture, "Kyon" is written in katakana under his head.
Old 2009-04-12, 21:30   Link #3234
Sepirts
Backward Stripes

So we watch and wait until ep 8?

The season's been running in chronological order as of now, right?
Old 2009-04-12, 21:33   Link #3235
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepirts View Post
So we watch and wait until ep 8?

The season's been running in chronological order as of now, right?
Yes. Yes, it has, and will probably continue to do so.
Old 2009-04-12, 21:34   Link #3236
brocko

We don't know for sure yet. They could be airing the whole thing chronologically or just the first season chronologically and then the 2nd season episodes (if there is one that is...).

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
Old 2009-04-12, 21:35   Link #3237
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocko View Post
We don't know for sure yet. They could be airing the whole thing chronologically or just the first season chronologically and then the 2nd season episodes (if there is one that is...).
That makes absolutely no sense though.

And, as has been said, this is the first time we've seen a true chronological order (i.e. no Episode 00 at the start).
Old 2009-04-12, 21:40   Link #3238
brocko

They could air the episodes however they wish, I'm just keeping an open mind on the possible broadcasting scenarios. Like i said, we don't know for sure yet, they could be doing it, yet at the same time they might not... =/

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.

Last edited by brocko; 2009-04-12 at 22:03.
Old 2009-04-12, 21:49   Link #3239
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

This being Haruhi...making sense is not always in the equation...at first.
Old 2009-04-12, 22:25   Link #3240
Peanutbutter

Whatever it is, Kadokawa is gonna stream the rerun episodes starting this week at Youtube.

I'm looking forward to it, though I hope they can use the Bandai subs (which I heard were not bad) as compared to their Haruhi-chan subs.
Closed Thread

Tags
comedy, kadokawa, school life, science fiction, shounen