AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Fairy Tail

Notices

Old 2010-07-26, 15:50   Link #1761
carcanclaw
Kitty?

Did they ever explicitly say that they knew the Tower of Heaven was a giant Lacrima? I'm sure they knew about the large lacrima in the throne room, but they seemed pretty shocked that the whole tower was a crystal.
carcanclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-26, 16:13   Link #1762
MechR

Yeah, that was one of the big writing flaws of this arc. Erza pretty much spells out the whole setup just short of putting two and two together, and it makes her look like a moron. It would've been better if she hadn't known energy was the missing piece.

(The other writing flaw in the manga was not enough establishment that Jellal and Siegrain were "supposed" to be two different people, which the anime mostly fixed.)

Darn the next-ep preview for skipping Natsu vs Gerard entirely. Not even a pretense of suspense at the outcome. Also, the lachryma looks like creepy pudding
MechR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-26, 16:55   Link #1763
amjzz

The lacrima thing is not a plothole.

Manga fans know that when magic is used against a lacrima there are 2 possible results:

1. Lacrima is destroyed.
2. Lacrima is charged.

Thats not a spoiler, its common sense that a magic attack can destroy a crystal.

Etherion is the strongest weapon of the strongest mages of the mage world, it was quite normal to think that the tower was going to be destroyed.

In fact, its said on the episode that the lacrima is unstable.
amjzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-26, 17:08   Link #1764
Clarste
Human

Natsu destroyed a giant lacrima with magic in the previous arc. Being made of lacrima doesn't automatically mean it absorbs magic. Also, the idea that being nuked was part of his plan is a bit absurd to think of naturally, especially the timing and all that.

On another note, I always thought Jellal's manga costume was kind of stupid, so I was glad to see it changed. Meteor looked kind of silly animated though.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-26, 17:36   Link #1765
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
Natsu destroyed a giant lacrima with magic in the previous arc. Being made of lacrima doesn't automatically mean it absorbs magic. Also, the idea that being nuked was part of his plan is a bit absurd to think of naturally, especially the timing and all that.

On another note, I always thought Jellal's manga costume was kind of stupid, so I was glad to see it changed. Meteor looked kind of silly animated though.
If I'm not mistaken you're talking about Phantom's cannon right? If that's the case he didn't actually use magic to destroy the Lacrima, he used magic to push the opponents sword he had previously carved into it further in cracking the crystal in the process.
Old 2010-07-26, 19:05   Link #1766
kitten320

I always found it odd that Jelala and Gerard had the same tattoo and that by some weird reason their fates were so different. It sure is weird that one brother was a slave and that second one was in council, how did that happen?
But somehow the idea of being the same person didn't cross my mind.

Liked how Natsu took the advantage of immobile Erza, I'm sure he would have done more if he had time

Also nice action, good to see that Jelal is really strong. Looks like he won't be defeated this time around, that's good.
Natsu sure misses Erza, Gray and Lucy... together they would destriy it in no time
Old 2010-07-26, 19:27   Link #1767
MechR

Quote:
Also, the idea that being nuked was part of his plan is a bit absurd to think of naturally, especially the timing and all that.
Nonsense. Erza knew these things:
1) The Tower of Paradise needed raw magical power, and lots of it.
2) Aetherion is a giant blast of raw magical power.
3) Jellal did not seem worried about Aetherion at all.
4) Jellal had an inside man on the Council, which is in charge of Aetherion's usage.

Come on, Erza, work that brain!
Old 2010-07-26, 20:03   Link #1768
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechR View Post
4) Jellal had an inside man on the Council, which is in charge of Aetherion's usage.

Apparently Erza was so focused on dying with Jellal she decided to ignore any part of her mind that might have been hinting at this. Maybe it's just as Simon said and Erza is far too soft when it comes to Jellal. I'd rather think she chose to ignore the possibility that there was a plan at work and hoped Jellal had returned in some fashion even if it meant dying together.
Old 2010-07-26, 21:08   Link #1769
amjzz

Quote:

Etherion is a giant cannon of destructive magical power, not raw magical power that can be absorbed by mages. The lacrima absorbed it, but it was said that is very unstable.

Erza just discovered that sieglein and gerard are the same person and that sieglein was evil.
amjzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-26, 21:35   Link #1770
Krono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
If I'm not mistaken you're talking about Phantom's cannon right? If that's the case he didn't actually use magic to destroy the Lacrima, he used magic to push the opponents sword he had previously carved into it further in cracking the crystal in the process.
The thing with the sword was a change the anime made. In the manga Natsu just blasted it directly and it shattered after a few moments.
Krono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-26, 21:46   Link #1771
Crontica

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amjzz View Post
Etherion is a giant cannon of destructive magical power, not raw magical power that can be absorbed by mages. The lacrima absorbed it, but it was said that is very unstable.

Erza just discovered that sieglein and gerard are the same person and that sieglein was evil.
Jellad was also mumbling something about "if this plan fails i will be annihilated" making this a clear Suicidal Gambit, waaay out of Erza's predictions, everything at that point of impact was pretty much a 50/50 of going ether way.
Old 2010-07-26, 23:27   Link #1772
MechR

Quote:
Originally Posted by amjzz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crontica
Jellad was also mumbling something about "if this plan fails i will be annihilated" making this a clear Suicidal Gambit, waaay out of Erza's predictions, everything at that point of impact was pretty much a 50/50 of going ether way.
Even if it was a crazy plan, the basic idea of the plan should've occurred to Erza from the points I listed. So, the R-system needs a crapload of magical energy that'd be impossible to gather by normal means. Wouldn't it be convenient if that giant incoming magic blast could be harnessed to power it? Maybe that's why Jellal looks so laid-back about how things are going!

Quote:
Not quite; Erza already knew Sieglein was evil and cooperating with his "brother" by keeping an eye on her, even if she didn't know they were the same person.
Old 2010-07-27, 02:10   Link #1773
Clarste
Human

No, she thought he was just corrupt and not working against his brother. If she knew they were actually on the same side (or rather, the same person) she'd probably have been much less tolerant of him.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-27, 03:30   Link #1774
MechR

Quote:
No, she thought he was just corrupt and not working against his brother. If she knew they were actually on the same side (or rather, the same person) she'd probably have been much less tolerant of him.
In both the anime and manga, she berated him for not only doing nothing to stop Jellal, but also for actively helping his "brother" keep tabs on her. See chapter 94, and below:

In that manga translation she also says "I knew it... the two of you were in on this together." Similarly, the anime translation says "So you two really did plot this together." She already suspected they were in cahoots.

Re: her tolerating Siegrain, as far as she knew, killing him would've just landed her in jail with no chance of ever finding Jellal, her main target. She also didn't have enough proof to depose him, and attempting it would've forfeited the lives of her friends, who Jellal was still holding hostage.

Last edited by MechR; 2010-07-27 at 04:01.
Old 2010-07-27, 04:36   Link #1775
Crontica

Quote:
her tolerating Siegrain, as far as she knew, killing him would've just landed her in jail with no chance of ever finding Jellal, her main target. She also didn't have enough proof to depose him, and attempting it would've forfeited the lives of her friends, who Jellal was still holding hostage.
Talk about terrible luck, she was pretty much locked in a physiological cage of terror.
Old 2010-07-27, 10:23   Link #1776
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

So whats with the crazy little creature in the lacrima, seems there are a few of these random creatures showing up in the background, there was the the blue dog thing few eps back.

Ep 39 was pretty good but I'm really waiting for next ep as that part was my fav of the arc. Loved how Natsu tears it up then.
Old 2010-07-27, 13:13   Link #1777
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonta Kun View Post
but I'm really waiting for next ep as that part was my fav of the arc. Loved how Natsu tears it up then.
Yeah i seriously can't wait to see how they handle one of my favorite scenes in next weeks episode. So glad i didn't watch the leak.
Old 2010-07-27, 17:12   Link #1778
kitten320

Huh? It looks like there was the episode 40 leak out... is it save to leave my opinion about it?
Old 2010-07-27, 17:40   Link #1779
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
Huh? It looks like there was the episode 40 leak out... is it save to leave my opinion about it?
I wouldn't if i was you, just to be safe. Wait until after the episode has officially aired.
Old 2010-07-27, 18:15   Link #1780
kitten320

Ok, though I probably won't be able to do it since I'm on holidays starting from next week

But who knows

Though what I can confirm is that this arc doesn't completly end next week... at least I don't see it as 100% ending.

So yeh my predictiona about this arc ending soon were wrong

Tags
action, adventure, fantasy, shounen