AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

Old 2012-10-05, 13:46   Link #1581
Vmem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esebian View Post
Well, but that only is right for SAO, Alicization and ofc Mothers Rosario, in ALO and GGO the fight parts are imo at least as long as the slice-of-life parts, so maybe the battle maniacs will be pleased more after we reach ALO

EDIT: I have also read that ppl wanted to see every floor of SAO covered in the anime. Apart from the crucial point that most floors would be anime-only, let's be honest that would be boring like hell. If I want that I play a MMO for myself xD
well, I don't want to get into GGO yet, but considering SAO will at least last up to episode 14 and we have a 26 episode season, that'll leave at most 12 episodes for ALO. Even though you're right that the fight parts are a significant part of the ALO arc, the plot is almost entirely driven by the slice-of-life parts. even the fight scenes often result in character introspection that ultimately serves to change/improve character interactions. Given the short length the anime arc will be, I feel most of the fights in ALO will be cut

speaking of which, are we allowed to openly discuss episode 14 predictions here (with LN background in mind?)

Spoiler for all of LN ALO arc text-anime episode 14 prediction:
Vmem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-05, 13:51   Link #1582
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmem View Post
but considering SAO will at least last up to episode 14 and we have a 26 episode season, that'll leave at most 12 episodes for ALO.
The series is confirmed for 25 episodes, so it's 11 episode for ALO.
Old 2012-10-05, 13:52   Link #1583
Vmem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
^ The series is confirmed for 25 episodes, so it's 11 episode for ALO.
ops, my mistake... all the more reason to cut out the fight scenes and make the anime fans rage then
Old 2012-10-05, 14:18   Link #1584
NoirX
ぼっち
*Author

Quote:
well, I don't want to get into GGO yet, but considering SAO will at least last up to episode 14 and we have a 26 episode season, that'll leave at most 12 episodes for ALO. Even though you're right that the fight parts are a significant part of the ALO arc, the plot is almost entirely driven by the slice-of-life parts. even the fight scenes often result in character introspection that ultimately serves to change/improve character interactions. Given the short length the anime arc will be, I feel most of the fights in ALO will be cut

speaking of which, are we allowed to openly discuss episode 14 predictions here (with LN background in mind?)

Spoiler for all of LN ALO arc text-anime episode 14 prediction:
Answering your question about discussing anime predictions, yes it's free to discuss it openly here. And as for your predictions, you forgot to include Heathcliff vs Kirito's fight there. The fight will take half of the episode(like the one in Kirito's first duel with Heathcliff). Also there's the afterwards of the fight which take abit of time as Kayaba is having talk with Kirito. So Kirito recieving Asuna's being a captive picture will most likely shown early to the half part on episode 15 which also includes he dives in to ALO world. making Kirito get the picture at episode 14 will ruin the sign of an ending arc and a start of a new arc because the episode tittle itself is already quite clear it signifies the end of something.
Old 2012-10-05, 14:53   Link #1585
Kazu-kun

Quote:
ops, my mistake... all the more reason to cut out the fight scenes and make the anime fans rage then
I think you're forgetting the fans pay the bills.
Old 2012-10-05, 16:41   Link #1586
RDF2050
Superidol

I can't wait for the upcoming rage. Rage from:
  1. Shonen fans (Boss fight skipped)
  2. Plot hole with the revival item in 10 seconds (forgetting Klein can't move)
  3. Kirito Gary Stun (how he move even thought he was dead)
  4. Asuna breaking the paralysis status to save Kirito (power of love?)
  5. Not covering floors 76 to 100 (Forgetting Heathcliff is the final Boss)
  6. Kirito and Asuna are dead (only if they don't include any details of Kirito waking up in the real world)
  7. and many more I can't think of now xD
Old 2012-10-05, 17:19   Link #1587
Vmem

Quote:
I think you're forgetting the fans pay the bills.
to make the fans pay, you engage them emotionally. you don't necessarily have to give them what they expect besides, this is only the middle of the series, not the ending. plenty more can be done to boost DVD sales etc
Old 2012-10-05, 17:36   Link #1588
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDF2050 View Post
I can't wait for the upcoming rage. Rage from:
  1. Kirito Gary Stun (how he move even thought he was dead)
  2. Asuna breaking the paralysis status to save Kirito (power of love?)
Well, these two at least are fair criticism. Heck, the fact the Kirito already proved he's stronger than Heathcliff in their previous fight since the latter had to use admin hax to win already gives plenty of ground to complain about Kirito being a Gary Stu.

And as for the Boss fight being skipped,... well, considering it's the best fight of the whole arc, and probably of the whole series (specially because Kirito and Asuna are fighting together) I think the complaints would be understandable.
Old 2012-10-05, 17:44   Link #1589
Ray
Garnet

The Gary Stu label really has become a buzzword that everyone and their dog is using, eh?
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-05, 17:57   Link #1590
Kazu-kun

Anime fandom in general is build on buzzwords, memes, and stuff like. I see nothing wrong with it.
Old 2012-10-05, 18:00   Link #1591
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Anime fandom in general is build on buzzwords, memes, and stuff like. I see nothing wrong with it.
Indeed. I don't see anything wrong with it either.. but it does say some things about a particular part of the fandom that I bear quite a bit of animosity towards. Thankfully, they're in the minority here.
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-05, 18:18   Link #1592
Znail

Quote:
Well, these two at least are fair criticism. Heck, the fact the Kirito already proved he's stronger than Heathcliff in their previous fight since the latter had to use admin hax to win already gives plenty of ground to complain about Kirito being a Gary Stu.

And as for the Boss fight being skipped,... well, considering it's the best fight of the whole arc, and probably of the whole series (specially because Kirito and Asuna are fighting together) I think the complaints would be understandable.
Gary Stu means that you are good at every single thing in the universe, being good at one specific type of video game hardly makes you a Gary Stu.

He is not an Everman either though as he is really good at something.
Znail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-05, 19:01   Link #1593
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Znail View Post
Gary Stu means that you are good at every single thing in the universe.
That's not what Gary Stu means.

Whether you use that term or not though, I think the criticism on Kirito's character is understandable.
Old 2012-10-05, 19:43   Link #1594
NoirX
ぼっち
*Author

Quote:

Whether you use that term or not though, I think the criticism on Kirito's character is understandable.
In every sense of manner, Kirito's last hit on Heathcliff is called cheating!
Old 2012-10-05, 19:59   Link #1595
Krono

Quote:

Actually yes it pretty much is what it means, unless you're using the definition of "blatant self insert character". People have simply abused the term to the point where it gets applied to any strong, competent, intelligent character that doesn't have horribly crippling flaws to compensate for their competence.

Not the first term abused to the point of losing all useful meaning, nor will it be the last. That doesn't however make it valid criticism, it just leaves it as nothing more than a slur hurled at a disliked character.
Krono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-05, 20:21   Link #1596
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krono View Post
Not the first term abused to the point of losing all useful meaning, nor will it be the last. That doesn't however make it valid criticism, it just leaves it as nothing more than a slur hurled at a disliked character.
This isn't a formal word/term. There's no "official" meaning. Besides the word is not important. You said it yourself, the criticisms is on the character being too strong, competent, intelligent and lacking on flaws to compensate for their competence. That's what matter, no the term.

If you don't like the term being used with that meaning, go complain on a board about semantics. This isn't the place for that.
Old 2012-10-05, 20:32   Link #1597
NoirX
ぼっち
*Author

Quote:
This isn't a formal word/term. There's no "official" meaning. Besides the word is not important. You said it yourself, the criticisms is on the character being too strong, competent, intelligent and lacking on flaws to compensate for their competence. That's what matter, no the term.

If you don't like the term being used with that meaning, go complain on a board about semantics. This isn't the place for that.
Rather than Gary Stu(which the term itself sound disgusting to me personally), it's better to call it hax.

Self note, Kirito could just be lagging so the last hit took awhile before it really kills him
Old 2012-10-05, 20:38   Link #1598
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoirX View Post
Rather than Gary Stu(which the term itself sound disgusting to me personally), it's better to call it hax.

Self note, Kirito could just be lagging so the last hit took awhile before it really kills him
This. IMO being hax is really different from being a Gary Stu.
ronelm2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-05, 20:39   Link #1599
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoirX View Post
But most people call him Gary and I like to be mainstream.

No, seriously, I don't care about the freaking word. It's not the point, and I don't even use it myself that much. Still, that's not reason to turn this into a discussion about semantics. That's not the point and, like I said before, this isn't even the proper forum for that kind of discussion anyway.

And btw, I don't think hax covers all of what people usually mean when they call him GT. There's more to those complains.
Old 2012-10-05, 20:42   Link #1600
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

Quote:
But most people call him Gary and I like to be mainstream.

No, seriously, I don't care about the freaking word. It's not the point, and I don't even use it myself that much. Still, that's not reason to turn this into a discussion about semantics. That's not the point and, like I said before, this isn't even the proper forum for that kind of discussion anyway.

And btw, I don't think hax covers all of what people usually mean when they call him GT. There's more to those complains.
New prediction for the Episode thread: it's gonna turn into a discussion about the semantics of Gary Stu and hax.
ronelm2000 is offline   Reply With Quote