AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2009-01-03, 06:18   Link #2061
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

PvP >> RP, nuff said.
Old 2009-01-03, 06:25   Link #2062
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBladewing View Post
I've got bad news for you Mr. Hat and Clogs:

Spoiler for clicky:

You killed the Thassarian in Borean, but can you kill the Thassarian that's on the Skybreaker in Icecrown?
Tokkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-03, 10:03   Link #2063
krisslanza
Sleep beneath the flowers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
PvP >> RP, nuff said.
So being ganked by 80's is more fun...?
or the personal favorite of Horde with 20 Tenacity. That was... Unique.
Old 2009-01-03, 10:46   Link #2064
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokkan View Post
You killed the Thassarian in Borean, but can you kill the Thassarian that's on the Skybreaker in Icecrown?
That's the first on my list of things to do once I hit 80. I plan to have the Mario 3 airship music playing in the background as I board that thing and take him out. Going to kill the gnome commander on board for good measure too.

Quote:
PvP >> RP, nuff said.
I seem to be pretty fickle with my server type, my deathknight is on PvP and I've actually had a lot more fun on that than my PvE hunter lately. I'm starting to like the unpredictability again, as opposed to nothing happening but mindlessly killing mobs. PvP servers seem to make you actually like your faction as opposed to wishing you could kill them too, I actually got an 80 to res me free of charge when some jackass ganked me in a spot where I couldn't get back to my corpse.
RWBladewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-04, 06:45   Link #2065
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

I knew you'd see the upside to PvP servers. ^^ It's a double-edged sword, but at least it keeps you on your toes. I remember when I was levelling in Howling Fjord with another Mage. We ganked so many people, like 100 in one of our levelling stints. The carry boat rigging line path that leads to the Kalu'ak village in that zone is a great spot. They have an annoying time reaching their corpse. ^^ Dunno why the two of us went so hardcore that day. From memory it all started with a 20 on 20 skirmish at the pirate bay on the south coast. Alliance won 90% of those, was classic. They only won a couple when they called in for a crapload of Paladins. 5 minutes later they all fled. ^^

Worst place I ever got ganked was when I got Kelstrazsa to port me to kill Saragosa. Typical a rogue was there waiting on launch day, zzz. Spirit res ftl. The ironic thing was I still killed Saragosa and did 2 other quests while copping res sickness. Mage power ftw!

Best place I ever ganked someone was on the flying quest in Storm Peaks for that friendly Vrykul tribe. The one where you have to harpoon from mount to mount and beat 10 other vrykul. Some silly Troll Hunter thought it would be funny to try and KS my kills. I picked him off with ease, leaving him in an impossible position to res. Enforced spirit res. ^^

Funniest 'sucker' moment I ever got involved in was when I was doing my Kalu'ak grind. While doing the 8 supplies daily at Kaskala, 2 utterly stupid Level 72s decide to jump a 70 while my epic Flying Carpet is hovering RIGHT ON THEIR FACES. Ganked them triple time for good measure. Other one would be the stupid group that tried to wipe an Amplitheatre group I was in at 74. They tried 4 times. They got smashed 4 times. Other Alliance were laying in wait. ^^ Gotta love it when some people you come across aren't carebears. Carebears FTFL!

My fave revenge moment was when I was on my Druid and I saw two Horde killing the Mammoth killer. So I looted the harpoon from the ground after they did (71 Warrior and 71 Druid). They gank. I log on the Mage and go looking for them. The little cowards are hiding in the DEHTA camp. So I go out to 40 yards. 2 FBs each = gg. Did it twice for good measure. They kept trying to hide in huts or whatever, I just kept changing angle. Loved how FB has enough range to avoid aggroing guards. ^^ Also loved the several Horde 80s who watched the 2nd time and thought it was funny.

Weirdest victory moment was when a Nexus group I was doing on my Hunter composed of 70-74s beat four 80s. Geared ones too. That was just sad.
Old 2009-01-04, 10:12   Link #2066
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

Quote:

Worst place I ever got ganked was when I got Kelstrazsa to port me to kill Saragosa. Typical a rogue was there waiting on launch day, zzz. Spirit res ftl. The ironic thing was I still killed Saragosa and did 2 other quests while copping res sickness. Mage power ftw!
That's exactly the spot I was talking about. I refused to to take a spirit res as I knew that's exactly what the guy wanted, plus I was carrying a second set of gear as well as 1 or 2 BoE blues I'd happened to find. Was prepared to wait as long as it took for someone to res me, if worse came to worst I'd have logged and waited for server reset on Tuesday for my guy to auto-res at the GY. If I ever find that guy again I am going to camp him till he logs, I'll pay people to camp every GY in the zone too so he has to.
RWBladewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-04, 11:27   Link #2067
krisslanza

Bleh that's what I hate about PvP servers is ganking
There's no fun in it since you're just killing people who can't possibly kill you. It's also just so common they may as well rename PvP servers to Gank servers.
Old 2009-01-04, 18:06   Link #2068
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

I liked being on the PvP server in the beta, was an interesting change. It was fun with the occasional random fight, some were fair some weren't I won some I lost some. Although usually I detest dieing since it annoys the hell out of me. So someone corpse camping would shit me off, and I don't have that kind of patience. I'd go do something else, take a name and mark them up for divine retribution at a later date.
Old 2009-01-04, 18:42   Link #2069
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I think I'll stay with a PVE server. I'm just not that good at PvP. I'm squishy as all getout. Destruction Warlock with no resiliance/resistance....sure.
Old 2009-01-05, 04:38   Link #2070
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

@kriss: So not true. It goes both ways. You get the better of some and some get the better of you. You just learn. Besides, DKs are crazy in PvP.

@Ithekro: Not necessarily true. It just takes practice.

My favourite escape ever was in Howling Fjord. At the Vrykul village in the middle of the map, just east of Utgarde Keep/Pinnacle entrances, I was trying to quest at 73 and this darn other Mage kept tagging whatever I was after. So I snapped him when he tried to KS a spawn triggered by an item. I snapped him. 73 Shaman, 73 DK and 71 Mage didn't like that. They thought they had me. After well-timed Novas and invis and jumping off the mountain ledge into the river below, I was safe...or so I thought. The damn Spirit Wolves didn't lose sight of me during Invisibility...So after getting them trapped and using a Water Walking elixir while the Shaman kept chasing, 2nd Invis allowed me to lose them and hearth away.
Old 2009-01-05, 05:25   Link #2071
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
@kriss: So not true. It goes both ways. You get the better of some and some get the better of you. You just learn. Besides, DKs are crazy in PvP.
Only if you gank in return. I don't gank low-levels out of principle, so I never 'get the better' of some unless they're of similar level (which makes it a fair fight, not a gank). What this does mean is that I get ganked on PVP servers, but never gank in return, so it really doesn't go both ways.

Exceptions are of course lowbies that attack me, but in that case you brought the wrath of my wolf pet upon yourself.

That being said, I did enjoy the PVP quest-zones, not a lot of 80s come there because the low level of the quests means they don't get as much gold, so most opponents are of similar level. And I do enjoy the tension of PVP on 80 (and flagging PVP on a PVE server is ten times more dangerous then on a PVP server <_<) but when leveling I like the option of turning it off to prevent bored level 80's from swooping in and ganking/corpse camping me to relieve their boredom.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-05, 09:53   Link #2072
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Wait, you have to tag yourself to be allowed to be attacked on a PvE server? Zzzz.

It's not like I'm a PvP junkie in world zones. At 80 I only go for it if:

1. Someone is being a dickbrain and tagging everything I attack.
2. Someone attacks an Alliance player with numbers I think I can win against.

Well, on PvP servers if you don't gank/help out others, you're a Carebear.

Frankly I'd rather just quest or do whatever I need to do 99% of the time. But eventually you come across a clown that is just asking for it.

Furthermore, almost all gankers on PvP servers will re-gank or call their friends to make it a camp-fest. You have to grow a thick skin and learn to smack anything that has a red label. Most of the time I come out on top, but it's a learning process. Meh, PvP isn't for everyone. But on the other hand, that is where Blizzard splashes the cash out to players.

And on a skewed population server like Blackrock, there's the issue of submission. If you're the minority and always let the other side push you around, they always will and they will control the farming points, the PvP points, etc. It's a n issue of submission as well as whether you prefer PvP or not.
Old 2009-01-05, 10:05   Link #2073
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Wait, you have to tag yourself to be allowed to be attacked on a PvE server? Zzzz.
There are several ways to be flagged on a PvE server:

1. Flag yourself.
2. Attack someone who is flagged, either player or NPC.
3. Buff/heal/rez someone who is flagged (does not count towards NPC's).
4. Enter a PvP area (Wintergrasp, Battlegrounds or enemy capitals).
5. Accepting PvP quests, your flag will remain on as long as the quest is in your log.

For the later 3, the flag lasts for 5 minutes, if you flag yourself the flag lasts until you unflag yourself, and as soon as you do the 5 minute timer starts.

Quote:
Well, on PvP servers if you don't gank/help out others, you're a Carebear.
So basically, if I'm a level 80 wandering around the Boreans looking for herbs, and I see a 71 questing, I have to gank him or I'm a carebear?

I'll choose to be a carebear then, thanks.

Quote:
Furthermore, almost all gankers on PvP servers will re-gank or call their friends to make it a camp-fest. You have to grow a thick skin and learn to smack anything that has a red label. Most of the time I come out on top, but it's a learning process. Meh, PvP isn't for everyone. But on the other hand, that is where Blizzard splashes the cash out to players.
Don't misunderstand, I don't mind PvP myself, I just hate not being able to level because some bored 80's decide I'm their next chewtoy. If they'd introduce some safety measure for leveling, and leveling alone (like how WAR turns high-level players going to lowbie RvR areas into chickens) I'd like PvP servers a lot more.

I enjoy the challenge, but being blasted by a level 80 with too much time on his hands as a level 40 is not a challenge.

Last edited by Keroko; 2009-01-05 at 10:48.
Old 2009-01-05, 10:22   Link #2074
krisslanza

Yes I'd choose to be a carebear as well then... I loath ganking unless it's justified in some way (i.e. You're being a jerk to people in the zone or... Something.)

And Keroko forgot a 5th. On PvE you get flagged for having any PvP quests such as the ones in Grizzly Hills, which you can't remove the flag without dropping the quest first.

Speaking of ganking I remember this Warrior and Shaman on ED that would gank me... And when I got some people to come help they'd actually log out after killing me or us, wait like ten minutes, then log back in and kill us again. They did this for like an hour before I said screw it and played something else.

It was also during that time I was dieing in the Tundra Naxx place thing on the staircase ( from them) and somehow fell THROUGH the floor. I ended up dieing eventually from 'fall' but my body ended up sliding in to the Sholazar Basin. It was very odd
Old 2009-01-05, 10:49   Link #2075
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisslanza View Post
And Keroko forgot a 5th. On PvE you get flagged for having any PvP quests such as the ones in Grizzly Hills, which you can't remove the flag without dropping the quest first.
Oh yeah, totally forgot that one.
Old 2009-01-05, 11:39   Link #2076
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I tend to not enjoy PvP, mainly because the way I'm talented does not help much for PvP, and the closest thing to a "fair fight" for me seems to be someone who is two or three levels lower than I am. Anything else and I'm dead...petty much every time.

I also dislike those that seem to constantly want to duel you. I had some 80 DK who kept spamming duel and "noob". I'm not fighting a DK that is my level. Plate wearing, anti-magic dps class against a cloth wearing destruction warlock? Somehow I guessed the fight would take three seconds (especially if he was specced to lichborne....no fear for me) I could probably get off two, maybe even all five instants I have before dying. But then again, I'm out of practice, and haven't done any serious PvP in probably six months (when I was a 70 fighting around Halaa, or defending Westfall or Southshore from bored players).
Old 2009-01-05, 15:22   Link #2077
Ending

Quote:
Meh, PvP isn't for everyone. But on the other hand, that is where Blizzard splashes the cash out to players.
Of course it isn't and that's by Blizzard's own design. If you choose a wrong class, such as a priest, you are not fit to PvP and I recommend avoiding all PvP servers with a wide girth. Currently, WoW is a PvE game stronger than ever before, where only a few classes can effectively fight back -or kill before the opposition has a chance to react.

For PvP, I recommend Warhammer.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-05, 20:09   Link #2078
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

If you said hunter or warlock, then I would give some concessions. Hunters have never had a fair go in the Arenas and still don't. Warlocks have suddenly lost a lot of potency in there, not quite sure why. Priests - not buying it. Their survivability is still good and their gank potency, particularly in Shadow, is still harsh. Considering all Priests now have Devouring Plague, it makes their cycle better. DP, SWP, Silence, Mind Flay, Psychic Scream, Mind Blast, re-dot. They still seem damn potent to me.
Old 2009-01-05, 20:38   Link #2079
Evangelion Xgouki
NERV Personnel
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Evangelion Xgouki Send a message via MSN to Evangelion Xgouki
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordplay View Post
Of course it isn't and that's by Blizzard's own design. If you choose a wrong class, such as a priest,
We aren't that bad...
Evangelion Xgouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-06, 02:05   Link #2080
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBladewing View Post
Yeah, I know it's not really a big deal and that tons of other people have done it, but I was fairly impressed with myself pulling it off 2 levels below him wearing greens. And yeah I am using the default interface there, complete with abilities randomly thrown around everywhere. (But yes I use keybinds)
Solo sarasthra imo, that's moar GAR than this douchebag

and yeah, i took him down with my DK after 20 mins

Tags
blizzard, game, mmorpg, online, warcraft, windows