AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Rozen Maiden

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-10-06, 08:54   Link #1
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Rozen Maiden - Q & A

This thread is for those with questions about the Rozen Maiden anime and manga. Please keep discussion about episodes in the relevant threads, the purpose of this thread is to ask questions that can actually be answered as facts from the anime or manga.

Make sure you use spoiler tags if your question is about the anime or manga (or any non-anime source). Untagged spoilers are risking a ban. If you don't know how to use a spoiler tag, please read this FAQ.

Spoiler Tag Example
[spoiler=title]Don't forget to use a title for the spoiler![/spoiler]
...becomes...
Spoiler for title:
Old 2006-10-06, 08:54   Link #2
Lost

Rozen Maiden - Q & A - Index

~
The Rozen Maiden Community FAQ
~
By RM fans, for (prospective) RM fans

Section I Introduction

History and purpose of this FAQ, as told by Alu

Section II The Series

What is Rozen Maiden ~Ouverture~?

Must I watch Season 1 before watching ~Traumend~?

Is there Fanservice in Rozen Maiden?

Section III The Rozen Maidens

What are the Rozen Maiden Names and Meanings?

Why did Rozen create 7 Unique Dolls?

How did Shinku Change her Perspectives to the Alice Game?

Shinku's Fictional Obsession

Who is Kirakishou?

More on Barasuishou

Section IV The Characters

Who is Jun and how does he develop?

Who is Laplace no Ma?

Section V The Rozen Maiden Universe

Rozen and Alice, 7 dolls, 7 failures? - An Introduction to the Alice Game

What are Rosa Mysticae?

What are Maestros, and who are they?

What are N-fields and Dreamworlds?

Section VI The Fandom

Rozen Maiden Fanaticism

Last edited by Lost; 2006-10-16 at 11:12.
Old 2006-10-06, 17:54   Link #3
Chiisa
Love target... LOCK ON!

I know this might sound a bit strange, but if the 3rd season of Rosen Maiden is coming out at the end of the year, will this sub-forum be moved to current series?
Old 2006-10-06, 17:54   Link #4
Lost

Fanservice in Rozen Maiden?

~Topics~

" What is Ecchi? Ero? "

" Is there fanservice in Rozen Maiden? "

" Sadomasochism in Rozen Maiden? "

" Are there Ero-Doujins of Rozen Maiden? "

" Where can I get Ero-Doujins of Rozen Maiden? "

-
" What is Ecchi? Ero? "
-

It'll be useful to get right the definitions of some of the terms used here; tho most of you may not need much introduction. () Ecchi, (from the Japanese エッチ etchi), is applied to anime or manga that has vague sexual content (such as skimpy clothing, partial or full nudity), but does not show the act of sexual intercourse. This is not to be confused with Ero, which is used to refer to anime and manga that includes explicit sexual content.

-
" Is there fanservice in Rozen Maiden? "
-

The following contain minor spoilers to Rozen Maiden Season 1. It's okay to proceed as these events are not plot-centric.

On Nori's dream.

The dream being referred to here was shown in episode 10 of Season 1, and we can make a good guess of what she was dreaming about from her talking aloud in her sleep. In it; she specifically calls out to Jun and from her tone it appeared that she dreamt herself being in a compromising situation with her younger brother. Here is what she says:

"I can't Jun-kun! We siblings!"

It is exactly disturbing because those words taken in context implies incest; more so because it possibly is reflective of Nori's desire. Most disturbing would be its randomness. Rozen Maiden did not start out to be one of those series, and it definitely was not a harem-type.

As one poster rightly observed, it was so random it appeared to have come from nowhere. To this day it is not known why that scene was included, nor was it developed further in Season 1 or ~Traumend~; unless this incident causes you read too much into Nori's later (apparently normal) dealings with Jun and the way she speaks of him. Come to think of it, Nori was much more caring with Jun than a normal sister should be ~ but more likely this is attributed to her sister complex and Jun's hikkikomori state.

More on Suggestive References by Nori before and after episode 10
[Ziv]

In the very first episode, after Jun recieves Shinku in her case, Nori asks Jun if Shinku is a "foreign Dutch Wife". For those not sure what Dutch Wives are; read what Nori had to say in the Manga: "Jun-kun, is this that...one of those things with certain...correct parts?" (Italics ours) Later in Rozen Maiden Traumend, Jun returns with a book on the dolls (which he attempts to hide) and Nori tells him that it's perfectly normal for boys his age to be interested in "those sorts of things."

On Jun kissing a doll.

Another occurrence was the Snow White scene, which very interestingly also occurred in episode 10. As the "prince on a white horse" in Nori's play-practice only he could wake Snow White by kissing her. Its obvious the light shed on what he thinks of his relationship with Shinku by the way he reacted to that, developing an obvious blush and going loco: screaming that he couldn't kiss a doll - and really, embarrassment speaks the loudest (). In the end, he doesn’t, and Shinku walks away sounding offended.

On Jun seeing the dolls in underwear.

This also occurred in episode 10. While stumbling into the dolls in the midst of undressing, Jun stared for awhile, and as Hina aptly put it: "Jun was very red all the way to his ears." Later alone in his room, Jun cannot get the image of them out of his head. His heart pounds, even tho they are dolls; and he says: "I can't allow myself to get so excited!"

While seemingly suggestive of sexual innuendoes, especially in the light of the rest of the events in episode 10 which one poster noticed had to be more than coincidence, it must be pointed out that (1) nothing really indicates for sure that he would be turned on by them due to the fact that he doesn't seem to be the average perverted male lead in a anime, instead seeming to have all the interests of a "normal" boy and (2) RM does not contain the attributes of an ecchi fanservice anime, and in context with the rest of the episode Jun would more likely be embarrassed then turned-on.

Perhaps explanation for this is given later. As Jun sews Shinku's dress, he constantly peeks at her, especially at her joints. When Shinku questions, it would seem then that Jun's initial reaction stems from him forgetting that they were "all magically enchanted dolls for a while." Perhaps he was so intend on them being real that when he stumbled in on them he immediately thought he would see something he wasn’t supposed to see.

However, we will never likely know if he initial reaction to the dolls undressed was out of embarrassment or whether he was simply turned on; maybe it was even a mixture of both, seeing something forbidden, yet realising that it wasn’t really that way, being as they were dolls (man one needed to reach deep into his psyche for that).

In fact episode 10 was as far as the series got to developing Jun's overall *physical-like* relationship with the dolls, most especially Shinku; a bit of 'testing the boundaries' as it were, perhaps establishing what he thought of them. (At the end of episode 10 Shinku kisses a sleeping Jun )

[kj]//Another reference occurs in ~Traumend~, Jun in the toilet for a looong time with a magazine; really, it is up to the viewer to surmise what Jun was doing, whether ecchi or not.

-
" Sadomasochism in Rozen Maiden? "
-

It was pointed out by one forumer that the Lyrics of Kinjirareta Asobi hints at the practice of sadomasochism, the practice of obtaining sexual pleasure or gratification by having pain or suffering inflicted upon one's self or inflicting such-like. Lines that seem to suggest this include

Spoiler:

However; masochistic choice of words aside, the lyrics seem rightly to represent the realities of love: bitterness, pain, freedom from bondage, sex, and so on. In anycase, however the reader may choose to interprete this, it is noted that there are no such dark references existing in the series itself; and thus the lyrics should be rightly kept to the OP.

-
" Are there Ero-Doujins of Rozen Maiden? "
-

Yes, to this writer's dismay, there appears to be. Many.

-
" Where can I get Ero-Doujins of Rozen Maiden? "
-

Crawl back to the den you came from you Ero Perv Freak! No one (save KunKun) can have smex with a doll!! cough*http://www.rozen-unyu.net/*cough for good translations of Rozen Maiden Doujins. None are explicitly ero, just ecchi.

Last Updated 25/02/2007

Last edited by Lost; 2007-02-25 at 07:13.
Old 2006-10-06, 17:54   Link #5
Alu
Guide my hand...

7 diferent Dolls.

The following Answers contain several Spoilers.
Its best adviced for those who have not seen compleatly Rozen Maiden "Season 1" & ~Traumend~ to not click on the spoil tags.

Spoiler for spoilers Start here:
Old 2006-10-06, 17:54   Link #6
Alu
Guide my hand...

Introduction :

Allright, I and a few others are starting here the process of re-assembling all the Important information that currently can be found on the Rozen Maiden ~Träumend~ (Season 2) Thread ; information this related to the Questions & Answers on several aspects related to this Anime.

This will without a doubt be a very extensive re-assembly task, for as everyone knows the "Rozen Maiden ~Träumend~ (Season 2)" Thread is one of the more extensive threads that can be found here on A.Suki.

Hence, it will take some time to gather & make the connection between all the posts which I figure contain relatively Important aspects to questions that we are left with even after having finished Season 1 & Season 2 of "Rozen Maiden"

Starting off :

I figured this would be the ideal way to start the process; since it is also a Topic in which many people are still not compleatly informed about.

Rozen Maiden ~Ouverture~

-
" What is Rozen Maiden ~Ouverture~ ? "

" Will there be a Season 3 for Rozen Maiden ? "

" Is ~Ouverture~ only related to Suigintou's past ? "
-

* First in order to asnwer these questions I would first like to direct everyone to the following Image :

Spoiler:
And as you all can now see, this image relates to an article in Megami magazine about the upcoming Rozen Maiden OVA ; giving the us conclusion that there Will be a new Rozen Maiden related Animation.

- Please now click on the following link for the full Translation of the article :
http://www.rozen-unyu.net/prelude.html

* Now given all of this, in order to answer more aspects :

Currently this is all the information we have on ~Ouverture~, but still it is more then enough to lead us to towards the conclusion that this OVA will definitly be a Prelude to Rozen Maiden ~Season 1~

And it will not focus on Gil alone either.., its contents will show us the reason as to how and why Gin "drifted" apart from the other Rozen Maiden.., and to why the hatred she feels towards Shinku as we came to see in ~Season 1~

But most importantly.., and I hope I am right on this.., it will give us some in-sight on some un-answered aspects related towards Rozen and to the "Rozen Maiden" in general.

~Ouverture~ however its NOT a 3rd Season.., but it is an OVA in the end.

I belive they chose to place this as an OVA partialy because of its content.., since we are going back in the timeline of the story to unveil certain un-answered aspects..., it realy wouldn't make any sence IT beeing a 3rd Season.

The End of ~Traumend~ was inconclusive yes.., so there is definitly reason to wait for a 3rd Season.., ~Ouverture~ just is coming first to give us a better in-sight of the "entire" story..;
- Think of it as just another piece of the puzzle you need to add before you start finishing the final parts.

- As soon as more information is known, then I am sure that A.Suki here will create a Thread for it on the "Current Series" section ; meantime.., I aswell as everyone here will without a doubt do our best to keep the updates up-to-day regarding it.

Once ~Ouverture~ ends.., "possibly".., and after waiting 1 more year we then might be presented with the Conclusion of the Story in its 3rd Season.., taking back from where ~Traumend~ left off.

For now.., I hope this is enough to answer your Questions on this subject

Last edited by NightWish; 2006-10-15 at 11:30.
Old 2006-10-06, 17:54   Link #7
Alu
Guide my hand...

The Rozen Maiden names & what do they mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM-FAN
Why have the Rozen Maiden Japanese names if they where created during the Victorian age in Europe ?
- All of the Rozen Maiden names are actualy in German ; altough we can Only assume that they "are as such" for having been created in Europe. (no more specific information is given to us on this)

The names we saw in the Anime are simply & just the japanese translation to what her names originaly mean in German.

Here is they're correct meaning from Japanese - German - English :

-

Suigin Tou : Mercury Lampe ( Mercury Lamp )

Shinku : Reiner Rubin ( Pure Ruby )

Hina Ichigo : Kleine Beere ( Little Strawberry )

Sousei Seki : Lapislazuli Stern ( Lapis Lazuli Star )

Suisei Seki : Jade Stern ( Jade Star )

Kanaria : Kanarienvogel ( Golden Wisp Bird / Canary )

Bara Suishou : Rozenkristall ( Rose Crystal )

-

Last edited by NightWish; 2006-10-15 at 11:53.
Old 2006-10-06, 17:54   Link #8
Lost

Must I watch "Season 1" before watching ~Traumend~?

While not necessary if one understands the events that happened in Season 1, it is nonetheless highly recommended that one watches Season 1 before moving on to ~Traumend~.

The reasons being:
  • It is hard to understand ~Traumend~ if you have not watched Season 1

• Both seasons of Rozen Maiden are essentially continuations in plot from each other, thus missing out on Season 1 will mean missing out huge sections of plot.

• Rozen Maiden is a series that primarily focuses on character development, and skipping Season 1 will deprive one from being familiar with the characters; not to mention the interesting character development of Jun and Shinku.

• Its the opinion of some posters that ~Traumend~ was duller than Season 1, which was also more enjoyable and funny. Many found Season 1 more compelling then ~Traumend~ was.

• Season 1 has Suigintou as the main villain AND it has the stairwars episode ()

• It is guaranteed that ~Traumend~ will have a much bigger impact if one watches Season 1 first.

Last updated 15/10/2006

Last edited by NightWish; 2006-10-15 at 11:32.
Old 2006-10-06, 18:02   Link #9
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiisa
will this sub-forum be moved to current series?
Not really the sort of question this thread was intended for... but yes. If there are current releases of the show this section will move under "Current Series Discussion".
Old 2006-10-06, 18:18   Link #10
Chiisa
Love target... LOCK ON!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWish
Not really the sort of question this thread was intended for... but yes. If there are current releases of the show this section will move under "Current Series Discussion".
Sorry I wasn't sure ^^;; But thanks for your answer
Old 2006-10-07, 05:04   Link #11
Alu
Guide my hand...

Shinku.
The change of prespectives..

Its best adviced for those who have not seen compleatly Rozen Maiden "Season 1" & ~Traumend~ to not click on the spoil tags.

Last edited by NightWish; 2006-10-15 at 11:55.
Old 2006-10-07, 05:29   Link #12
Alu
Guide my hand...

A fictional obsession.

-
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz1/2
So what's your opinion on Shinku's obsession with Kunkun?
-

- As some may know, one of the funniest aspects of the "Rozen Maiden" Series is that within the story itself, we are presented with a fictional doll character who stars in his own detective TV show.
This character of course, beeing no other then " Detective Kun Kun ".

- Of what we now know related to the Time of which most of the Rozen Maiden last awoke s still very unclear, however there are several indications that both Suigin Tou and Shinku had fought each other somewhere during the years of the World War II.

Hence we assume that during this time, they did not get a chance to observe Television.
Which is why now, having awoke in "Our" present Time, they became somewhat obsessed with it ; for it was something they had not experienced before.

However it is not by chance that such happened, for it is in fact thanks to / and because of Kun Kun that they became so fond of it.

But why Kun Kun you ask ?

- Kun Kun's Story revolves arround very simple aspects, beeing these most of the times on how Detective Kun Kun foils the evil cat's plans over & over again ; however in the end it shows us that Kun Kun is a keen-eye detective which always makes the smartest choices and is able to solve every crime through well thought out means and brilliant deductions.

Hence naturaly someone like Shinku (who sees herself as beeing Very inteligent & perspective) would gravitate towards him in terms of personality.

The reason for all of this is that it was in fact the perfect match.., having Shinku found someone who she admires for having all the qualities that she wishes to have ; added to the new experience it all was aswell.

So in other words.., Shinku became a fangirl, plain and simple ; actualy to the point even of speaking to the television as if she thinks that Kun Kun can hear her.
- Which realy show us she just loves & admires the entire show and its contents THAT much.

Naturaly the show catches on.., and for some reason too, most the rest of the Rozen Maiden seem to be drawn to it.

-

* From our prespective now.., it is assumed that the Main reason, and why it is in fact such a humorous aspect of the series.., is that it simply consists on the Irony of dolls watching a show starring a doll.

In fact.., Kun Kun's popularity became so big that "Peach-Pit" (the Rozen Maiden series publisher) actualy made a Special OVA related to it.

The Detective Kun Kun - "Duell Walzer OVA"

- This 7 minute OVA is in fact a Full Detective Kun Kun episode ; and it portrays watching a Detective Kun Kun's show from a Rozen Maiden doll's perspective.

Last edited by NightWish; 2006-10-15 at 11:56.
Old 2006-10-07, 07:11   Link #13
Alu
Guide my hand...

Bara Suishou.

The following Answers ( despite some aspects beeing based on Speculations ) contain several Spoilers.

Last edited by NightWish; 2006-10-15 at 11:59.
Old 2006-10-07, 07:11   Link #14
solwyvern
▲wight
*Graphic Designer

Kirakishou - 雪華綺晶 ► Snowdrop Beautiful Crystal

Spoiler for for anime and manga:

Last edited by NightWish; 2006-10-15 at 11:58.
Old 2006-10-07, 09:44   Link #15
Lost

On Jun and hikkikomori.

~Topics~

" Who is Jun-kun? "

" Why doesn't Jun go to school? What's hikkikomori? "

" Why is Jun in such a sorry state? "

" How does Jun develop in the series? "

" After episode 12 of ~Traumend~, does Jun suck or not? "

" Is Jun financially better off after meeting Shinku and gang? "

-
" Who is Jun-kun? "
-

Jun (lastname: Sakurada) is the lead character in the Rozen Maiden anime and manga. In the course of the series, Jun's already messed up life is further turned upside down by the intrusion of the Rozen Maidens, starting with the fifth doll of the Rozen Maiden series: Shinku. He is cold and rude, and indeed, appears arrogant and indifferent to the feelings of others. Although he does not seem it; we soon find out that he is exceptionally skilled at sewing and cloth-crafts...

-
" Why doesn't Jun go to school? "
-

Jun is a typical hikkikomori. Hikkikomori literally means 'pulling away, or being confined.' The name is used to describe people, usually adolescents (tho not limited to a particular age group), who choose to withdraw themselves from all social interactions, including those with family members, and instead seek extreme isolation. Jun certainly fits such a description. The indifference expressed towards his sister Nori; his resentment towards his absent parents; the hermitage he keeps, locked up in his room; his addiction to the thrills of ordering junk over the Internet; and the way he reacts furiously whenever the word School is brought up, all point to the fact that he isn't your normal teenager.

As well as being a hikkikomori; Jun can be said to be suffering from tōkō kyohi (登校拒否), or school refusal; that is, simply a condition in which emotional distress (fear or anxiety) towards school prevents one from attending school. In Jun's case, his fear of attending school stems from the fear of meeting school-mates who might have previously known/heard of him. This also prevents him from leaving his home. Such provides a clue as to a cause for his self-isolation, which will be elucidated upon in the next heading.

-
" Why is Jun in such a sorry state? "
-

The following contain spoilers to the last part of Rozen Maiden Season 1. It's advised for those who have not watched beyond episode 11 of "S1" not to click on the spoiler tag. Remember, its always more enjoyable to find out for yourself!

-
" How does Jun develop in the series? "
-

The following contain spoilers to much of Rozen Maiden Season 1 and ~Traumend~. It's advised for those who have not watched both seasons completely not to click on the spoiler tag. Remember, its always more enjoyable to find out for yourself!

-
" After episode 12 of ~Traumend~, does Jun suck or not? "
-

This was an interesting dicussion sparked between grey_moon and Spectrum in the early days of our 3xx thread; right after the happenings of episode 12 ~Traumend~. This writer hopes to present an unbiased neutral recounting of the Discussion. Any further discussion should be carried to the Rozen Maiden ~Traumend~ thread

The following contain spoilers to the ending of ~Traumend~. It's advised for those who have not watched till episode 12 of ~Traumend~ not to click on the spoiler tag. Remember, you can always join the discussion after watching it for yourself!

-
" Is Jun financially better off after meeting Shinku and gang? "

-
Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_moon

Before Jun met Shinku he used to waste his money on trying to buy cursed dolls. He brought a stupid amount, but sent them back to get a refund. I would guess he kept a few and would have to pay for p&p.

After meeting Shinku we can see that the cost of food has increased dramatically, lucky he doesn't need to pay for broken windows etc. But in S2 if you look on "Shinku's shelf" you can see she has built up a fair collection of Kun Kun stuff, including what looks like a DVD collection and of course the Kun Kun detective kit.

Now since Shinku has already pointed out that her servant's possessions are hers and hers are her own I'm pretty sure that's Jun's cash that was used to pay for it.

So IMHO he is far worse off financially (but better of spiritually) now then before.

Conclusion, in the past he spent money trying to buy cursed dolls and now cursed dolls spend his money...

Last Updated 10/10/2006

Last edited by Lost; 2006-10-09 at 12:21.
Old 2006-10-07, 18:48   Link #16
the.Merines
Seeker of Power

Send a message via AIM to the.Merines Send a message via MSN to the.Merines
On Laplace no Ma

Quote:
Originally Posted by hizashi
Just wondering, who is Laplace's Demon? I don't quite understand after watching the anime.
Spoiler for Season 2:

Last edited by the.Merines; 2006-10-07 at 19:21.
Old 2006-10-07, 19:57   Link #17
Alu
Guide my hand...

Of Rozen and Alice... ; 7 dolls, 7 failures.

The following Answers ( despite some aspects beeing based on Speculations ) contain several Spoilers.

Last edited by NightWish; 2006-10-15 at 12:04.
Old 2006-10-07, 19:57   Link #18
Lost

Of Rosa Mysticae; Theories of Origins and Roles.

~Topics~

" What are Rosa Mysticae? " -(not to be confused with Art. Spirits)

" How are Rosa Mysticae created? "

" Possession of Rosa Mysticae, and the role they serve "

" Gaining Rosa Mysticae "

" Losing Rosa Mysticae "

" Questions on Hinaichigo's and Souseiseki's Rosa Mysticae "

* Reserved * Incomplete *
Old 2006-10-08, 00:17   Link #19
Alu
Guide my hand...

A Maestro.

Old 2006-10-08, 02:17   Link #20
Alu
Guide my hand...

Regarding N-Field's & Dream Worlds.

The following Question & Answer contain several Spoilers.
Its best adviced for those who have not seen further then Episode 9 of ~Traumend~ to not click on the spoil tags.

Last edited by NightWish; 2006-10-15 at 12:03.
Closed Thread