Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-08-22, 09:54   Link #1
Leequid
mouton mouton!!

Send a message via MSN to Leequid
Question French in the US

Next year, i'm gonna live for 4 months and a half in america.
I would like to know what are americans feelings towards french people.
In one hand a friend of mine told me they were mostly positive, but in the other hand someone told me that americans don't really like french people.
I know that having good relationship is a matter of person and not country but if you could give your advice, i'd really appreciate it!
Leequid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-22, 12:25   Link #2
aahhsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leequid

In one hand a friend of mine told me they were mostly positive, but in the other hand someone told me that americans don't really like french people.
I know that having good relationship is a matter of person and not country but if you could give your advice, i'd really appreciate it!
Nobody cares. At first they might make fun of you for awhile, but after that, eh... you'll be fine. Hey at least you can woo the ladies with a sexy french accent.

Freedom Fries!

Which part in the US will you be staying at? In the West my advice is generally true. Dunno about the east.
aahhsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-22, 12:53   Link #3
Mika

I think you will be fine. The americans are pretty good. I dont even think anyone will make fun of you. There are alot of diff accents there anyway. I had a friend from france who lived here (canada) then she went to New york for a bit and she said they were all very kind (shes a hottie to so that made it easier for her)
Have fun on your trip!
Mika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-22, 13:25   Link #4
jennwenn

Quote:

Don't worry, you'll be fine! I live in Texas, which is President Bush's home state (well, sort of) and its supposed to be the most anti-French state in America, but that's not true at all. French restaurants are popular and I know a few French people who work here and are doing well.

You may get a few jokes, or people may say stuff about your accent, but most people are very friendly. Only people who are rude to everyone would be rude to you. It depends on the person.

Though one thing, the food SUCKS here. I'm American and even I can say that! I've been to France a few times. I miss French food!

Many Americans are learning French (though most of them learn Spanish), so I'm sure they'd love a chance to practice too. Also, if you meet people who also like anime you'll DEFINITELY make friends with them. Anime always brings people together.

America has some absolutely beautiful natural scenery in places, but I think our cities aren't that great. It depends on where you go. Also, shopping is excellent. Its like American is the shopping headquaters of the world lol. Sports are also a big thing, and always helps bring people together.

Last edited by jennwenn; 2004-08-22 at 13:38.
jennwenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-22, 19:13   Link #5
phoenixfire92983

Send a message via ICQ to phoenixfire92983 Send a message via AIM to phoenixfire92983 Send a message via MSN to phoenixfire92983
Yeah, don't worry too much. Just have some fun! People who dislike France, don't hate the country so much. Rather, they do not like some of the things President Chirac has done and some of the stuff the French did in the UN. Americans won't take that grudge out of individuals visiting the country.

Out here in the West, people LOVE to talk to visiters from other countries. You get to learn all kinds of cool stuff. Plus, people love accents...especially french and italian *some of the many romantic languages or so people say*
phoenixfire92983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-22, 20:16   Link #6
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

Yeah America is about as multi-cultural as you can get, so I don't think things will be too bad for you. But it also depends on what area you visit. If you visit a big city, chances are people won't find it strange but if you go to a tiny town of 50 people, they might be a little umm, hostile towards foreigners.

One thing I will say is that (I think) most Americans believe that the French are stuck up snobs and they think they are better than everyone else. You might get stereotyped like that at first, but just be kind to people and I'm sure you'll quickly bring the light to their hearts. (aww, that sounds so nice)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika
I had a friend from france who lived here (canada) then she went to New york for a bit and she said they were all very kind (shes a hottie to so that made it easier for her)
Pic please
Roots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-22, 22:13   Link #7
chucky
Always impatient

No no, people in US are all cannibals. They eat people.

They will slice your belly open, take out all your guts, and tie your hands with your own intestines. Then you will be tied to a donkey cart and then get dragged along the road and everyone on the sidewalk will laugh at you and call you a french faggot.

Then they will tie you to a stake and then burn you alive : cheering with all the elation, they will dance around and the last thing u can see is they tear the french flag apart and throw it into the same flame eveloping your poor body.

Amen. May you rest in peace.
chucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-22, 22:17   Link #8
Mika

chucky are you on something
Mika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-22, 22:23   Link #9
Leequid
mouton mouton!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky

They will slice your belly open, take out all your guts, and tie your hands with your own intestines. Then you will be tied to a donkey cart and then get dragged along the road and everyone on the sidewalk will laugh at you and call you a french faggot.

Then they will tie you to a stake and then burn you alive : cheering with all the elation, they will dance around and the last thing u can see is they tear the french flag apart and throw it into the same flame eveloping your poor body.

Amen. May you rest in peace.

Old 2004-08-22, 22:45   Link #10
JOJOS'STAR
*Artist

Mieux vaut boire pour oublier qu'oublier de boire!

Most of Americans think the same. ^^

Just be friendly, theres no problem with American people. (Exept for Guns and Politic) ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky
Possibly they'll shoot them before anyway.
Old 2004-08-22, 22:52   Link #11
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennwenn
Don't worry, you'll be fine! I live in Texas, which is President Bush's home state (well, sort of) and its supposed to be the most anti-French state in America, but that's not true at all. French restaurants are popular and I know a few French people who work here and are doing well.
Well, actually, Bush's home state is Maine and he grew up in New England but who's counting?

Anyway, you'll encounter a lot of different people in America, and all of them have different ideas. You'll come across a lot of people that like French people, a lot of people that are indifferent to French people, and perhaps even a lot of people that don't like French people. The two comments you'll hear most often have to do with something about French people not showering (don't worry about this one - they really don't mean any harm with it) and another one with a similarly jocular attitude about France always surrendering. These are two ideas that are thrown around somewhat regularly in our society but they don't really mean anything at all. They're just jokes.

Another thing you'll need is a bread maker.
boneyjellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-22, 23:01   Link #12
Leequid
mouton mouton!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyjellyfish

Another thing you'll need is a bread maker.
lol

I won't need any cuz i don't eat that much bread, but i'll certainly miss patisserie (I think this word is understood by english speaking people).
I think that americans is a word not to be used in many sentences (when speaking of the whole population), it would only lead to some non-sense or something like that.
I shower twice a day, and i don't give a fuck if my ancestors surrendered (what I don't really think, erm, hope ).
Old 2004-08-22, 23:23   Link #13
HK anime seeker
Looks fun...Time to jump!

Dudes! Lets just get along with each other right? It seems that you have a higher chance of gettig flamed here then in an place in the world
HK anime seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-22, 23:52   Link #14
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

Quote:
I shower twice a day, and i don't give a fuck if my ancestors surrendered (what I don't really think, erm, hope ).
Leequid my friend, I think you're gonna be aaaaallright here in America!

By the way, what's a "patisserie?"
boneyjellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-22, 23:53   Link #15
cdiesel12

Send a message via AIM to cdiesel12
well make fun of you being french thats about it. but if they hate you then its youir personality.

i kid cause i love
cdiesel12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-23, 00:21   Link #16
Bullsquat
Strange Love

Americans in general don't hate French people. Two of my friends are French. I never make fun of them or their accents. Neither have anyone else that I know of. People will only say hateful things in front of a camera, or on the internet. It's a political thing.

My advice to you, don't ever watch the O'Reilly Factor.
Bullsquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-23, 03:29   Link #17
Leequid
mouton mouton!!

Quote:
By the way, what's a "patisserie?"
So.. The shop where you buy bread is a "boulangerie" and those "boulangerie" often sell "patisseries" which are french cakes, creams and ices or something typical you eat at the end of the meal. Croissant and pain au chocolat come more likely in another category : "viennoiserie" (which is you can always find in "boulangerie"). The difference is that some shops are called "Patisserie" and only sell those "patisseries"...

Google translator outputs pastry making for patisserie
..seems a bit odd..dunno..

I thaught you would understand cuz i saw the word "patissier" in a Bakurestu Tenshi fansub.

I hope my answer is comprehensible! And I may be wrong on some tiny details...
Old 2004-08-23, 04:18   Link #18
hooliganj
Team Player

"patisseries" would just be pastry, I think.

There's a lot of French words that went directly into olde English. You just have to remove all the extra letters, because it's French, and then randomly rearrange some of the letters and change the meaning, because it's English. Voila!

I might throw a white flag joke or two your way, but only if you're being flagrantly foreign.
hooliganj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-23, 05:14   Link #19
Ending

Happy journey. Myself, I would never even consider visiting USA.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-23, 20:47   Link #20
jennwenn

Quote:
Well, actually, Bush's home state is Maine and he grew up in New England but who's counting?
I know, that's why I said "sort of". He's such a liar! He wants the world to think he's a Southern, country, good 'ole boy but even his accent is falsely developed. Though to cut him some slack, he moved here when was 3 or so but went to boarding school in New England.
jennwenn is offline   Reply With Quote