Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2014-07-02, 05:19   Link #321
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangakid95 View Post
--------------------------------------------
Also, not trying to restart an old conflict, but wasn't the whole purpose of Turn A's timeline being introduced to somehow connect all existing timelines (at the time. ie. All Gundam series before 1999)?

Well, since there's that little tidbit up there about SEED somehow trying to fit in with Turn A, I guess the 1999 should be altered to 2005.
And now with the release of MG Turn X and some points inside the manual that said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG Turn X manual's translation
"Black History" in Turn A Gundam is the records of wars that were sealed away, but also has another meaning- That of the concept that all Gundam series shows, starting with Mobile Suit Gundam in 1979, exist in a single timeline. In other words,1979's Mobile Suit Gundam's UC marks the beginning of humanity's space age, and 1999's Turn A Gundam's CC is its final stage. The timelines broadcast up to that point, G's FC, Wing's AC, and X's AW, as well as 2002's Seed's CE, 2007's 00's AD, and 2011's Age's AG, and all other Gundam series to come are a part of black history as well (Gundam Build Fighters seems to be an exception). The gimmicks that made this possible are nanotechnology and black history. In real life, history is filled with numerous different perceptions and interpretations, and there are countless cases of fabrications gaining momentum and being treated as fact. In the end, it may be that people only believe what they want to believe.
It looks like Sunrise/Bandai wants to unite all Gundam series (yes, including 00, as ridiculous as it sounds) into one continuity. So now Turn-A's CC timeline is the final civilization in the entire Gundam continuity (at least so far, until Tomino create a new timeline after CC). Personally, I think it's one big BS, but it's official. So there you have it.
Old 2014-07-02, 05:42   Link #322
brightman
Ancient Member

New page so I'll just repost this for people to see... From a new Tomino interview.

From http://mechatalk.net/viewtopic.php?f...rt=260#p362866
Quote:
>>・UC時代に資源を消費しつくして、地球は死滅寸前に追い込まれた。
UC era completed exhausted natural resources on Earth. Earth essentially can't support a human civilisation by itself. (implying they need imports from Space to survive.)
>そのためRCは重工業を再生させずにキャピタルタワー周辺に重工業を集中させた。
In RC the Heavy Industries is concentrated around the Capital.(Essentially because the Capital is where the Space Goods arrive on Earth.)
>キャピタルはその為に資本の意。
"Capitial" city actually meant to mean "Capital" as in finance.
>・RCの人口は1/10以下。 ・タワーがアマゾン上空なのは、緑が残っているのはその周辺だけだろうと思ったから。
RC era has only 1/10th of real life human population. The greenery around the city is what's left of the Amazon.
>・タワー基部は河と海の間を移動できる。1000年の間、移動は当然あったという想定。
The Space Elevator base can move, across rivers and oceans. And since it is 1000 years old it has been moved about quite a lot.
>・ゴンドラをMSの20mから逆算したが球は容積が小さいので失敗した。でも直さず連結すれば 良い。
Not sure translation here. The transport orbs used to ship stuff on the elevator was meant to fit 20 metre tall MS, but it seems the calculation was off so they can't fit. So they just strp the MS to the train directly (Not sure, need confirmation from better translator.)
>・宇宙エレベーターの速度は500km/h。
The Space Elvators transports at 500km/h.
>・キャピタルタワーの先端は宗教的聖域。
The Capital Tower is a part of the Cathedral and is Holy Ground. (No confusion whatsoever; 聖域)
>・今の10代の子供たちに50年後の地球をどうするかの解を求めてくれよという物語
I am trying to write a story about what kind of Earth the teens of the world would have to deal with in 50 years time.
>・地球の未来を甘く見るユートピア的な見方は全否定したかった。地球外移住も信じていない。
The view of a Utopian future for earth is completely rejected. There is no belief in space migration either.
>・二足歩行ロボットは作っちゃいけないものだと答えられる様になった。
On the whole the world reject the use of bipedal robots (?)
>>地球から衛星軌道に上がる宇宙エレベーターは、前の世紀のころに三基建設されていたのだが、
Space Elevator connects the ground to space satellites. There were three of them made in the previous Era. (I like to think they are referencing 00 in this.)
>宇宙世紀のあいだに破壊されたり、残った一基も崩壊寸前だったのを、前世紀の”干渉期”に修復されて、そ れが正常に運用されるようになったことを記念して、
In UC due to war, two Elevators were destroyed and the third was on the verge of collapse. But the final Elevators has been repaired and is now it working order in RC.
>現在は、人類史に新しいメッキをしようという意味の呼称がつけられていた。
Regild Century is about humanity repairing itself. (represented by how they repaired the Elevator.)
>それから千余年、キャピタルによって運行されるようになれば、宇宙エレベーターはキャピタル・タワーと呼 ばれるようになって、
For the last 1000 years, the Space Elevator was controlled by the Capital, and as such it started being called the Capital Tower.
>現在、地球上で通常エネルギーとしてつかわれているフォトン・バッテリーの運搬のために恒久的、永遠に使 われる施設になっていた。
Now the Elevator is used to ship "Photon Batteries", the major source of energy used by all humans on Earth, down from Space.
Old 2014-07-02, 07:06   Link #323
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Wow, so many points are made about Space Elevators. Does Tomino really like Gundam 00 or what? Oh, and UC had space elevators? I wonder in what year. This is quite interesting.
Old 2014-07-02, 10:51   Link #324
JMvS
Rawrrr!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Wow, so many points are made about Space Elevators. Does Tomino really like Gundam 00 or what? Oh, and UC had space elevators? I wonder in what year. This is quite interesting.
Not sure about UC per see, but Turn A Gundam displayed remnants of a Space elevator: ruins in South America (hint hint), and a strand remaining in orbit and used for space travel as a sling.
Old 2014-07-02, 12:07   Link #325
MK-95-
Best Girl Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman View Post
Judging from a new Tomino interview it seems MSs were rejected from use at some point. RC is supposed to be peaceful so no need for war machines I guess. So tech reset.

Summary of the interview here: http://mechatalk.net/viewtopic.php?f...rt=260#p362866

Explains a lot of what this timeline is about
Wow, gotta give Tomino credit. When it comes to Gundam world-building, this guy is a genius. Well then, he is the person who started it all, so I guess it isn't that surprising.

Still, tech reset...Really? Sigh, I wonder if this series will reference the "ancient" MS or give them a nod. For example, I'm sure when the Gundam appears, someone's gonna say that the word Gundam dates back to the last era, etc...

I like how this one focuses on the people who refuse to leave earth, because almost all previous UC series/OVAs focused on those who either resided in space or left earth to go to space.

Quote:
Go back earlier in the thread. Apparently all Gundam series past and future now fit in the same timeline, including 00 and AGE.
Quote:
And now with the release of MG Turn X and some points inside the manual that said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG Turn X manual's translation
"Black History" in Turn A Gundam is the records of wars that were sealed away, but also has another meaning- That of the concept that all Gundam series shows, starting with Mobile Suit Gundam in 1979, exist in a single timeline. In other words,1979's Mobile Suit Gundam's UC marks the beginning of humanity's space age, and 1999's Turn A Gundam's CC is its final stage. The timelines broadcast up to that point, G's FC, Wing's AC, and X's AW, as well as 2002's Seed's CE, 2007's 00's AD, and 2011's Age's AG, and all other Gundam series to come are a part of black history as well (Gundam Build Fighters seems to be an exception). The gimmicks that made this possible are nanotechnology and black history. In real life, history is filled with numerous different perceptions and interpretations, and there are countless cases of fabrications gaining momentum and being treated as fact. In the end, it may be that people only believe what they want to believe.
It looks like Sunrise/Bandai wants to unite all Gundam series (yes, including 00, as ridiculous as it sounds) into one continuity. So now Turn-A's CC timeline is the final civilization in the entire Gundam continuity (at least so far, until Tomino create a new timeline after CC). Personally, I think it's one big BS, but it's official. So there you have it.
Well then, I guess what was considered "wishful thinking" a few months ago has now become a reality. At least I was on the mark at the time. lol Still, it kinda baffles me that they managed to work 00 into this one.

The ELS, tech difference & newtype/innovator things would complicate the universe merging.

I guess the Innovator could be considered a primitive/early newtype, etc... But the ELS & tech difference is the major problem here. 00's tech is the most OP to date, how did they downgrade with the succession of a new era? Where did the giant alien flower next to earth disappear to? On one hand, I'm glad I was proven right when everyone shot me down all those months ago & on the other hand, I'm confused as hell.
"When there is evil in this world that justice cannot defeat, would you taint your hands with evil to defeat evil? Or would you remain steadfast and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?" - Lelouch vi Britannia as Zero.

Last edited by MK-95-; 2014-07-02 at 12:23.
MK-95- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-02, 12:18   Link #326
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

00 did have humanity setting out to explore the galaxy, just like what was said to have happened in Turn A Gundam.
Old 2014-07-02, 17:38   Link #327
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMvS View Post
Not sure about UC per see, but Turn A Gundam displayed remnants of a Space elevator: ruins in South America (hint hint), and a strand remaining in orbit and used for space travel as a sling.
Yeah, I've watched Turn-A. It had a relic of space elevator and was further solidified by the explanation of the Mayan-esque people that inhabited the surrounding territory. But it was supposed to be built in the UC-era. So, what I'd like to know is in what year of UC it was built? We'll probably get the answer during G-Reco's airing.

Quote:
Wow, gotta give Tomino credit. When it comes to Gundam world-building, this guy is a genius. Well then, he is the person who started it all, so I guess it isn't that surprising.
Sometimes, his world building works really really well, but sometimes his stories can be a bit weird or downright crazy. *still can't get over the misplaced slapstick comedy in ZZ, the absurd-ness of Victory and Tomino's other weird shows like Brain Powered *

Quote:
Well then, I guess what was considered "wishful thinking" a few months ago has now become a reality. At least I was on the mark at the time. lol Still, it kinda baffles me that they managed to work 00 into this one.
Glad I'm not the one who deemed your idea a wishful thinking nor persistently opposed it . But I will stick with my James Bond analogy in describing the ridiculousness of keeping all series in one huge timeline.
Old 2014-07-02, 18:04   Link #328
Gundam888

To me it,s not official in first U.C timeline U.C 1 read universal qualifier nether is reguild is not the future of uc ether nether is correct century g savior or Gaia gear to the known universal century ends with victory in U.C timeline 1 or this is the prime U.C timeline.

U.C timeline 2 ends in Gaia gear U.C timeline 3 end g savior U.C timeline 4 ends when earth federation transformed into the solar system federation with mad wing artificial new types and U.C timeline 5 includes all gundam stuff that the timeline reguild is in and maybe C.C. U.C Timeline 6 is where correct century is in U.C timeline 7 is origin

The reason that they all can not be connected there previous timeline for all of them accept for gundam 00 is A.D and mobile suits where all invented in and at different times They all have connected in a single timeline in order to qualify in serenki or universal qualifier which the timelines do not do.

The reason why g savior is no prime U.C timeline one prime timeline exhibit 1 is beacuse earth almost completely recovered by the time victory forests where grown and earths 4 billion was kept primarily in city's exhibit where g savior it is recked 2 no mentioning minovsky physics or updated engineering necessary to in the future they us bullets for main weapons if what I mean no update minovsky drive aka wings light into an engine or the name gundam.

Last edited by Gundam888; 2014-07-02 at 18:53.
Gundam888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-02, 22:01   Link #329
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:

The ELS, tech difference & newtype/innovator things would complicate the universe merging.

I guess the Innovator could be considered a primitive/early newtype, etc... But the ELS & tech difference is the major problem here. 00's tech is the most OP to date, how did they downgrade with the succession of a new era? Where did the giant alien flower next to earth disappear to? On one hand, I'm glad I was proven right when everyone shot me down all those months ago & on the other hand, I'm confused as hell.
Innovators have much more defined powers than Newtypes so I don't know how they would fit. Plus they were created by GN particles unlike Newtypes.

I'd just chalk it up to Innovators somehow dying off in some kind of catastrophic event involving the ELS, and regular humans just starting up from scratch... Or something. Maybe the Moonlight Butterfly nano machines wiped both out.
Old 2014-07-03, 00:43   Link #330
MK-95-
Best Girl Connoisseur

Quote:
Sometimes, his world building works really really well, but sometimes his stories can be a bit weird or downright crazy. *still can't get over the misplaced slapstick comedy in ZZ, the absurd-ness of Victory and Tomino's other weird shows like Brain Powered *
Gotta agree with you there. He's one of those hit-or-miss geniuses. One minute he'll give something really epic/praise worthy, the other, he'll give something what makes you go "wut?"

Still, it looks like he's really planned G-Reco out. Going by that interview, you can tell he's already working on merging all the existing timelines. I think 00 would be the hardest to work in, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt & see what he does.

Quote:
Glad I'm not the one who deemed your idea a wishful thinking nor persistently opposed it . But I will stick with my James Bond analogy in describing the ridiculousness of keeping all series in one huge timeline.
Tbh, it felt good to know that I was proven right. What made being right even sweeter, was the fact that I got shot down so hard back then. (That's my ego talking, sorry. lol)

Still, I can sympathize with you guys on this. I know that having everything thrown into one unified timeline would create a giant mess of things & would also call for some retcons.

Quote:
Innovators have much more defined powers than Newtypes so I don't know how they would fit. Plus they were created by GN particles unlike Newtypes.
Indeed, you're right. I wonder how the Newtype, Coordinator & Innovator are all gonna be worked into the human evolution theory. These things become complicated especially when we can't place them accordingly.

We'd have Newtypes which are basically a really vague version of Innovators, but AD is prior to UC, so it makes no sense that the species with better defined powers came before the inferior one.

Also, one is born via exposure to GN particles, while the other is born from residing in space. (I'm getting a headache, I'll just wait for any official announcements. lol)

Quote:
I'd just chalk it up to Innovators somehow dying off in some kind of catastrophic event involving the ELS, and regular humans just starting up from scratch... Or something. Maybe the Moonlight Butterfly nano machines wiped both out.
I can live with that. XD
"When there is evil in this world that justice cannot defeat, would you taint your hands with evil to defeat evil? Or would you remain steadfast and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?" - Lelouch vi Britannia as Zero.
Old 2014-07-03, 05:08   Link #331
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Indeed, you're right. I wonder how the Newtype, Coordinator & Innovator are all gonna be worked into the human evolution theory. These things become complicated especially when we can't place them accordingly.
Coordinators are easy. They were already dying out in SEED since they were turning sterile (I guess that's another way SEED tried to make itself work with Turn A). Plus Newtype powers are also present in SEED and shown to be separate from Coordinators so no problems there.

Quote:
We'd have Newtypes which are basically a really vague version of Innovators, but AD is prior to UC, so it makes no sense that the species with better defined powers came before the inferior one.
If you read the manual description again, UC comes first in the Black History.

00s AD is a different one from ours (regardless of what the lore actually says). Since AD precedes UC, FC, AC, and CE, the only way it makes sense is if Anno Domino takes place multiple times in Black History (which is silly but the only way to make it work IMO)
Old 2014-07-03, 09:56   Link #332
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Oh I dunno, anyone familiar with Tolkien's Legendarium can see how a constant cycle of development and destruction can wreak on a world -- every generation that picks up the pieces is usually far worse off than the previous one. I can EASILY see that happening in Gundam's Black History.
Old 2014-07-03, 10:45   Link #333
JMvS
Rawrrr!

Maybe something like the Angel Halo mind wiping Earth + nanomachine technology erasing + exile of Newtypes would allow for AD resets?
Old 2014-07-03, 11:09   Link #334
Gundam888

Era changes I'm afraid are permanent no going back ad and moonlight butterfly was only used and happen once okay

Last edited by Gundam888; 2014-07-03 at 11:25.
Old 2014-07-03, 14:26   Link #335
MK-95-
Best Girl Connoisseur

Quote:
Coordinators are easy. They were already dying out in SEED since they were turning sterile (I guess that's another way SEED tried to make itself work with Turn A). Plus Newtype powers are also present in SEED and shown to be separate from Coordinators so no problems there.
That's true, I kinda forgot that. Its been so long since I've watched SEED. Yup, fitting Coordinators in is way easier than I thought. Also, now that the timelines are fused, the Mu being a Newtype thing is more or less confirmed. (I remember that being debated in the past)

Quote:
If you read the manual description again, UC comes first in the Black History.

00s AD is a different one from ours (regardless of what the lore actually says). Since AD precedes UC, FC, AC, and CE, the only way it makes sense is if Anno Domino takes place multiple times in Black History (which is silly but the only way to make it work IMO)
That's kinda silly imo. I've never heard of returning to an era.

However, again you're right. Returning to AD later down the line would indeed help 00 fit into the timeline because for it to take place before UC is even more silly than returning to the era AD. lol
Old 2014-07-03, 14:42   Link #336
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
That's true, I kinda forgot that. Its been so long since I've watched SEED. Yup, fitting Coordinators in is way easier than I thought. Also, now that the timelines are fused, the Mu being a Newtype thing is more or less confirmed. (I remember that being debated in the past)
Fukuda confirmed that in an interview too.

Quote:
That's kinda silly imo. I've never heard of returning to an era.

However, again you're right. Returning to AD later down the line would indeed help 00 fit into the timeline because for it to take place before UC is even more silly than returning to the era AD. lol
Yeah, I don't know if its continuation of AD, or restarting AD from year 1 because another "Lord" was born and people forgot the old AD. This takes place over tens of thousands of years after all, and it's Gundam (ie with Angel Halo superweapons) so anything can happen.

And various groups of people have returned to an era in history. The First French Republic established a "Republican Era" and reverted to AD after the fall of the republic, for example.
Old 2014-07-03, 16:34   Link #337
Gundam888

No it can't angel halo does bend time so there
Old 2014-07-03, 16:34   Link #338
monster

Never mind history and technology, but what about resources like petroleum?
Quote:
Yeah, I don't know if its continuation of AD, or restarting AD from year 1 because another "Lord" was born and people forgot the old AD.
Did they actually call it Anno Domini?
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-03, 17:22   Link #339
MK-95-
Best Girl Connoisseur

Quote:
Fukuda confirmed that in an interview too.
Good to know. Thanks.

Quote:
Yeah, I don't know if its continuation of AD, or restarting AD from year 1 because another "Lord" was born and people forgot the old AD. This takes place over tens of thousands of years after all, and it's Gundam (ie with Angel Halo superweapons) so anything can happen.
Well yea. That's a plausible explanation. It's a bit difficult to swallow, but it seems legit enough. If I'm fed that, I can live with it.

Quote:
And various groups of people have returned to an era in history. The First French Republic established a "Republican Era" and reverted to AD after the fall of the republic, for example.
Actually, the era didn't change. They tried introducing a new era, but the fact remains that it was an unofficial era that existed alongside AD. So they didn't really return to AD after the fall, but rather, abandoned the unofficial era they tried introducing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Never mind history and technology, but what about resources like petroleum? Did they actually call it Anno Domini?
The answer to the resources problem could lie in space. The interview posted in this thread mentioned that.

Also yes. In 00, AD is indeed Anno Domini.
Old 2014-07-03, 17:31   Link #340
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Actually, the era didn't change. They tried introducing a new era, but the fact remains that it was an unofficial era that existed alongside AD. So they didn't really return to AD after the fall, but rather, abandoned the unofficial era they tried introducing.
There's no such thing as an "official" or "unofficial" era IMO. The Gregorian calendar is just one calendar and AD is one such system. Countries still use different calendars worldwide, some alongside the Gregorian and some that are not. The Japanese for example still prominently use their own era names and years based on their emperors reign. My point is that to the French, the eras did changed from AD, and they did returned to it. As far as Gundam era names go, maybe there are some people who continue to use AD somewhere? So for them UC is "unofficial"? UC is entirely an EF concept after all, and not everyone agreed with them. So who knows.

Quote:
The answer to the resources problem could lie in space. The interview posted in this thread mentioned that.

Also yes. In 00 AD is indeed Anno Domini.
Not to mention petroleum being depleted is pretty much a common theme in Gundam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Never mind history and technology, but what about resources like petroleum? Did they actually call it Anno Domini?
I guess more accurately, they are referring to it by the Japanese term for AD which is Seireki, or "western calendar"