Old 2006-03-16, 02:03   Link #201
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEDOS_GRANDE
my top overrated anime of all time

AIR

I highly doubt that. No 2nd rate anime fan knows what that is.

Try somthing like Naruto...u_u ppl
Old 2006-03-16, 02:20   Link #202
Bloodseeker

I'm a big fan of long shounens so long as they don't repeat the same scenario over and over again... (identical monster of weeks, almost identical fights and problems, etc...)
Old 2006-03-16, 02:46   Link #203
The Bloodlust Kid
Needs a better screenname

Send a message via AIM to The Bloodlust Kid
In no particular order:

1. Inuyasha- Well I did like it because it proved to me that people still have the freedom to inject whatever they want into cartoons but the filler just brings it down. Although, I will still watch the movies.

2. Naruto- I'd tolerate it more if the characters didn't drag the dialogue so much. I don't think it takes 5 minutes to explain how destructive Rock Lee can get when he's drunk. And I do believe that the short recaps in the beginning of every episode are suppose to be short.

3. Neon Genesis Evangelion- The series was okay, but the movie just made me want to punch the creator in the face.

4. Fooly Cooly- Alright, I get the jokes. It was funny in plenty of parts but for God's sake, it's NOT deep OR philosophical.

5. ......I don't have a five....
Old 2006-03-16, 02:54   Link #204
Mr.Hawq
The Hawqman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipze
Lets just say that, Mai Otome's first 10 episode had alot more pace then the current first 10 episodes of F/sn.

Oh well, time to do a write up then.
Spoiler:

I thought that episode 2 was silly, you know with the threat to put in the ugly kaname pics on the forums and everything. episode 3 in my opinion was kind of boring. The stuff that was happening was nothing that made think about or anything. Nothing big happened, that I had to say "wtf," or "wow I can't wait till I see the next episode" As I have said before "opinion!" You and I share different opinion

Would you not think that for any show, always on the second episode we are introduced with a new character, so I would not really count that.

All in all, you should be satisfied with me, saying that I enjoyed the last 2 episodes alot for the show, and it was good enough for me, I mean if I were to rate it give the show about 7.8 or 8/10.

Anyways Let's stop this, since the thread does say no flaming, and I don't want to go any further than that. You liked it alot, I liked it.

By the way, I have noticed that most posts you make against me, you always add a question to it.
Old 2006-03-16, 03:05   Link #205
Mr.Hawq
The Hawqman

Quote:
Lets just say that, Mai Otome's first 10 episode had alot more pace then the current first 10 episodes of F/sn.

Oh well, time to do a write up then.
Spoiler:
The way you say that stuff happened would be like this for fate/stay night
Spoiler:

I thought that episode 2 was silly, you know with the threat to put in the ugly kaname pics on the forums and everything. episode 3 in my opinion was kind of boring. The stuff that was happening was nothing that made think about or anything. Nothing big happened, that I had to say "wtf," or "wow I can't wait till I see the next episode" As I have said before "opinion!" You and I share different opinion

Would you not think that for any show, always on the second episode we are introduced with a new character, so I would not really count that.

All in all, you should be satisfied with me, saying that I enjoyed the last 2 episodes alot for the show, and it was good enough for me, I mean if I were to rate it give the show about 7.8 or 8/10.

Anyways Let's stop this, since the thread does say no flaming, and I don't want to go any further than that. You liked it alot, I liked it.

By the way, I have noticed that most posts you make against me, you always add a question to it.
Old 2006-03-16, 03:07   Link #206
SWPIGWANG

AT Fielduuuu!!!!

well, sorry but I seem to have my top anime list full of those "overrated shows"...I guess I should explain myself.

I must defend t3h diehard NGE worshipness: I watched it back in 96/97 for the most part, and fell in love. It is really funny really, but as I age the more I like NGE more and more.

At first, it was just an mecha show with better action than, say another Gundam or Macross show.(thats not an ova/movie) If one likes mecha anime at all, the sort of sistuation they set up is petty interesting when the focus was mostly defeating the monster of the week. Perfect musicly-choreographed attack? Still great after all those years. The animation is dated by today's standards, was awesome for a TV series in the day. While it might not be the most frame-heavy, the level of detail was good. It is giant mecha thats a bit more clever, and in those days thats damn good ready.

After watching it, it was the plot. For a good two years after it got distributed, and the times after EoE, endless discussions broke out. In those days, incomprehension obviously means NGE is pure awesomeness and it is an duty as an fan to comprehend it. (today, the general attitude is that it is pretenous made up stuff...at least for the overrated camp) NGE was treated like an mystry puzzle that takes some time to assemble, and that was part of the fun. After some time and alot of sorting out, some general conclusions have been drawn and the camp generally dispersed. (so sadly NGE newbies have little access to that wisdom) Nonetheless, the participants of them have gained a good amount of insight about the whole thing, from animation budgets to some existentialist thought.

After sorting all that out, there is the characters. I guess it is fitting that the original TV series ended as such, because if there something that might have stood the test of time it would be that. In some sense, those characters are not all that likable, but they are memorablely flawed. On my list of anime characters that I actually care about, NGE would take a large slot. It does take some personality traits to understand the characters however. As in excessively self-reflective person myself (as with many NGE characters) all the (potentially distracting) crazy psy-babble is actually comprehensible and can be empathized. One probably can not comprehend the whimsical mixture of excessive self-awareness with stress, confusion and self-loathing without having experienced it and there is no clear way to express it because it is confusing in itself. (or maybe NGE have rewired my brain so much that I think like those crazy folks...making me down right ....emo?) I guess it just seems a bit crazy when you sort of feels you understand small things like why Shinji loops song on his walkman..... (when you play tamashi no rufuran for the 20th hour straight...) The NGE characters aren't just developed, as in we know their motivation and rough traits, but they have soul poured into it. Most people probably would never touch its surface, but for some it just seem to make some sort of twisted crazy sense and one can never turn back and just dismiss it.

All that for 13 hours of TV series plus an 2 hour movie. NGE have provided something to think about for probably a hundred times that time.
--------------------
Maybe I'm really biased, because it is kind of life first love that gets idealized over time. That said, I don't have not seen any anime that is directly comparable (maybe that will change after I see RahXephon) and probably nothing will replace its place in my heart. (looks at Asuka poster on the wall)

I can understand why some wouldn't like it, as it really isn't an pleasurable show to watch at times, and many things is really hit or miss. NGE's core really don't have that wide of appeal, (its not an gibihi film or something) but the fact the show is watchable even when the main focus misses only shows its success. I'm sure the fanboys that it do hit on would remain so for a while.

Maybe I'm just an sucker for Anno..... (I liked kare kano alot too....)

---------------Some other stuff......
KGNE: KGNE needs some competition in the genre or all the folks that like this sort of stuff would only talk about this.....

Air: Whats up with Michiru.... (insufficient to make me care signal lights up)
Old 2006-03-16, 04:19   Link #207
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEDOS_GRANDE
Yeah, Robotech is really awesome and ingenuitive. When you are 8. I was a robotech whore too, growing up. The last time i tried to rewatch it (when i was 23) I thought to myself...."how in GODS NAME did I ever like this sh*t????" The story that carl macek came up with to link the three shows was very weak. And even worse was the entirely American-made arc to robotech, "The Sentinels" I read the books, had the RPG sourcebook and had the video when i was little. Dear god, what crap that was. Invid doggie-mecha and amazon women. Gah.

A big FU to Robotech and all its fans.

Macross and Mospeada forever.
Well, seeing as how it was aimed at youger audiences from the very beginning, I think you're looking at it in a slightly incorrect light. Why do you think all the more adult stuff (Minmay taking a shower for one) was edited out and is never seen in any incarnation of Robotech whether it be VHS or DVD? There was never supposed to be any deep, complicated story thing in the first place. Maybe you should rethink your stance there. You're hating it for not being exactly what it was never meant to be.

Macross and Mopeada rock. And so does Robotech.
Old 2006-03-16, 04:29   Link #208
Eclipze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hawq
The way you say that stuff happened would be like this for fate/stay night
Spoiler:
Its actually more like:
Spoiler:

Bolded parts are ones that progress/have impact on the story. Lets see how many of the mentioned scenes are essential to the story/plot.
Spoiler:

For the FMP! TSR episode 2/3
Spoiler:

Spoiler for episode 3:
Old 2006-03-16, 09:26   Link #209
Mr.Hawq
The Hawqman

Quote:
Its actually more like:
Spoiler:

Bolded parts are ones that progress/have impact on the story. Lets see how many of the mentioned scenes are essential to the story/plot.
Spoiler:

For the FMP! TSR episode 2/3
Spoiler:

Spoiler for episode 3:

Well would you not say that episode 3 of fate/stay night is just as slow as episode 3 of tsr. Since in episode 3 of fate stay night we got to know some stuff, just as much as we got to know about tsr episode 3.
Old 2006-03-16, 10:51   Link #210
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness
^Your definatley entitled to your veiw, but you are a fool if you don't think DBZ changed the entire scope of anime in America and should be credited with the shift that started the domino-effect of progressiveness in terms of animes' popularity in America...Mamono Hunter Youko my friend is not even a blip on the screen compared to dbz's influence...

Now I was being a bit rant-ish when I said ftp and IRC members, but I know for a fact DBZ was a gateway anime for many of the 20+ generation here and after it aired propelled many (lots of people I know specifically) into searching for more anime subbed and dubbed (video-tape fansubs, IRC, FTP)...In that search many (including myself) were able to see that anime offered alot more than just pure action titles and broadened our horizons)...I know people that never even liked or cared about anime that much who are now damn-near purists after the experience of DBZ...I experienced the revolution first hand, so I think I know what I'm talking about...

When advertisers found out they could have ratings hits with what they considered "cartoons" (that weren't of the pure comedic-nature like "The Simpsons") the entire industry evolved...DBZ was once the number one rated cable television show in America in it's timeslot (ridiculous ratings for a mere cartoon) This is documented in the New York Times which rated it as one of the best shows on television period during it's high-point...
I never said it didn't have ANY influence and I'm amused that you called ME a "fool" when you, sir, cannot correctly spell the words "definitely", "you're", and "view".

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness
Before and during DBZ there was just one exclusive anime block (Toonami)...Now everybody and their mama has an exclusive anime block(Jetix, Tech-TV, WAM, Foxbox, IFC, [adult swim], etc.),...This didn't exist before DBZ's insane popularity(Which was quite the same in Japan aswell when it orginally aired) ...So i do tend to get a bit agitated when people diss the hell outta the show when it was responsible for so much (personally to me, and not to mention IMO a great action anime that never tried to pretend it wasn't one)...Lots of people take pot-shots at it cause for some reason it's become "the cool thing" to do (which is dissing any anime that becomes really popular in America and produces taurds)...I think it's sad that even people who used to love DBZ now hate it for the simple fact there little brother or sister owns a Vegeta toothbrush or something...
Again, I hate the show because I think it's dumb and a waste of life. I do not hate the show because everyone else does.
Old 2006-03-16, 12:34   Link #211
Eclipze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hawq
Well would you not say that episode 3 of fate/stay night is just as slow as episode 3 of tsr. Since in episode 3 of fate stay night we got to know some stuff, just as much as we got to know about tsr episode 3.
Well, I went through episode 3 of F/sn. Yes, the amount of information given is close to the one in TSR, but:
Spoiler:

Oh, forgot to mention in the previous post: Im not trying to flame.

I mean, if you find TSR to be boring, then hey, its not your type of anime I suppose. But calling it a slow series is another matter, as I dont see how the series was slow. There wasn't any useless fanservice episodes, nor did the plot NOT make sense.
Old 2006-03-16, 14:15   Link #212
Mr.Hawq
The Hawqman

Quote:
Well, I went through episode 3 of F/sn. Yes, the amount of information given is close to the one in TSR, but:
Spoiler:

Oh, forgot to mention in the previous post: Im not trying to flame.

I mean, if you find TSR to be boring, then hey, its not your type of anime I suppose. But calling it a slow series is another matter, as I dont see how the series was slow. There wasn't any useless fanservice episodes, nor did the plot NOT make sense.

Lol I was the one that was flaming, and I don't want to do that anymore

Well ther was that fanservice episode when Kaname was thinking that she was being followed, and we got to see her change, and yah got to see her topless also.
Man I said that I did enjoy tsr, but not as much as other people did, giving the show excellent ratings and stuff.

Also TSR is the type of show I like, I like mecha, and I did see the first full metal panic also. I found them to be a little similar, but TSR had a litlle bit more drama.
Old 2006-03-19, 01:53   Link #213
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
#1 Evangelion

#2 Final Fantasy Advent Children
#3 Excel Saga
#4 Gundam Seed
#5 Mai Hime
Old 2006-03-19, 11:49   Link #214
lavielove

I'm just wondering why do people think that Air is overrated anime.One of the factor that Air got famous is the animation and theme of the anime is quite matched.That's why people loves it.The same goes for Full Metal Panic TSR too(the anime has a well-seperate thread for signatures and avatars).
Old 2006-03-19, 12:43   Link #215
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavielove
I'm just wondering why do people think that Air is overrated anime.One of the factor that Air got famous is the animation and theme of the anime is quite matched.That's why people loves it.The same goes for Full Metal Panic TSR too(the anime has a well-seperate thread for signatures and avatars).
Air was famous before the animation, just not outside of Japanese otaku circles. People think it is overrated because the fanboys all go "OMG, this is the best anime evar, it is so deep and the story is great and its not just an h-game" which is an obvious sign of an overrated show (Naruto, DBZ, etc).
Old 2006-03-19, 12:44   Link #216
PEDOS_GRANDE
MHD != HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavielove
hahaha, the Key fanboys come out in force, just like the last time when i bad-mouthed "Air".

lol KEYPWN.
Old 2006-03-19, 12:47   Link #217
PEDOS_GRANDE
MHD != HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103
Well, seeing as how it was aimed at youger audiences from the very beginning, I think you're looking at it in a slightly incorrect light. Why do you think all the more adult stuff (Minmay taking a shower for one) was edited out and is never seen in any incarnation of Robotech whether it be VHS or DVD? There was never supposed to be any deep, complicated story thing in the first place. Maybe you should rethink your stance there. You're hating it for not being exactly what it was never meant to be.

Macross and Mopeada rock. And so does Robotech.
All the more adult stuff in Robotech was never _ IN _ Robotech in the first place. It was in Macross, Mospeada (which rock) and SDC Southern Cross (which does not.) So that argument doesnt hold much water, it was never there in the first place. Duh, I KNOW that it wasn't supposed to be deep. It was for kids. And watching it years later, I can realize this. But many ppl my age can't. They still think Robotech is badass. Just go read the forums over at robotech.com. Yikes.
Old 2006-03-19, 12:50   Link #218
PEDOS_GRANDE
MHD != HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab
Air was famous before the animation, just not outside of Japanese otaku circles. People think it is overrated because the fanboys all go "OMG, this is the best anime evar, it is so deep and the story is great and its not just an h-game" which is an obvious sign of an overrated show (Naruto, DBZ, etc).
But....but......Misuzu!!!
Old 2006-03-19, 12:58   Link #219
LytHka
Banned

The problem with all fanboys, especially with erogame->anime fanboys (I'm one of them) is that they're mostly aggressive with their way of promoting a certain title. Same could be said for CCCP or Matroška fanboys. But I think if you're an intelligent human being you'll find other reasons to dislike a certain thing, a certain show. If fanboys and an "overrated" tag on a show is all you care about, sorry sir/madam, you've lost it.
Old 2006-03-19, 13:03   Link #220
Eclipze

Besides the issue with triple posting being a bad thing to do, I think people are mis-using the word "overrated". But this does not apply to every user.

From what I see, people are interpreting an anime as overrated by the number of mindless fanboys who support the anime, be it good or bad.

Wait...say what? so you're saying that if Air's number of fanboys and fanboy comments was much lesser, but still have the same number of fans, that you wont consider it overrated anymore?

There is a key (no pun intended) difference between Air and Naruto: Naruto has a extreemly large fanbase, while Air has a smaller (comparative to Naruto), more classified fanbase. For Naruto, people of all ages: be it small kids, teens or even adults, are calling it the "best anime ever".

For Air, its the devotees to the game/genre who are calling it the "best eroge converted anime ever". And because of that, its an overrated anime?

...Right. Basically by that defination, FMA, Cowboy Bebop and just about any anime who have mindless fanboys/girls, can be classified as overrated, especially because you just so happen to find it boring.

...wtf?
Closed Thread