AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: Who's your favorite character so far? Multiple choice allowed!
Suzumiya Haruhi 150 57.92%
Asahina Mikuru 95 36.68%
Nagato Yuki 92 35.52%
Kyon 130 50.19%
Koizumi Itsuki 20 7.72%
Tsuruya 35 13.51%
Taniguchi 4 1.54%
Kunikida 5 1.93%
Kyon's Sister 22 8.49%
Asakura Ryoko 11 4.25%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 259. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-04-29, 22:11   Link #21
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Of course Haruhi is the star. She's great. So I voted for Mikuru. Mainly for the sake of Gotou Yuuko. I hear excellence honed by roles in 60 (!) ero-games. But also Mikuru really did have an episode to shine in: episode one. Remember that? I look forward to seeing how she develops in later episodes, if she does.

All the characters are wonderful, though. I am very pleased to see Yuki getting her due. Partly because I was one of the hardy few who liked Lemon Angel Project, the last show Chihara Minori was in.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2006-04-29, 22:38   Link #22
Alu
Guide my hand...

Well.., I guess I'll be the first then..

Despite liking very much Haruhi, Kyon and Tsuruya-san.., not to mencione Yuki and Itsuki; lets face it.., this serie has a tremendous cast of characters..

I will have to go though..., with Asakura Ryoko; this also despite the fact that she has not appeared so much as of yet.

But still.., I am always drawn to the antagonists of the stories.., and in Haruhi.., Asakura seems like the best character for this role.

Hidding beneath that kind and caring persona we have currently seen there is yet much that will surprise us.., so, adding that and the manipulation factor she is able to currently use will just make her a great antagonist in the series, I am sure of it

So.., my vote goes for Asakura.
Old 2006-04-29, 22:56   Link #23
Matt Soulblade
1000 times better

Gogo Kyon ftw
Old 2006-04-29, 22:59   Link #24
Wrath88
Kissing...

Hmm.... this was a tough decision to make at this part of the series, but since I usually vote for the underdog, or those in the middle who lose to the top girl, I chose Kyon, Mikuru, and Yuki.

Kyon really deserves a vote since he takes a lot of crap from Haruhi, though I think the reason he doesn't complain is because it's no use.
Mikuru.... she's cute, very much like Kaede, though very timid.... How did she get chosen for this? You know, if I didn't see the episode, but listened to the audio part of episode 4, I would have thought it would have belonged to a Shuffle! episode, right up until Haruhi bursts in.
Yuki.... Indifferent, but someone who has a lot of power....
Old 2006-04-29, 23:05   Link #25
melange
Reset, reset, reset...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alu
Well.., I guess I'll be the first then..

Despite liking very much Haruhi, Kyon and Tsuruya-san.., not to mencione Yuki and Itsuki; lets face it.., this serie has a tremendous cast of characters..

I will have to go though..., with Asakura Ryoko; this also despite the fact that she has not appeared so much as of yet.
(etc...)
Asakura Ryoko is great... but I think some parts of your post should be marked as minor spoilers

"Every man has two countries, his own and France" - Attributed to Thomas Jefferson
Old 2006-04-29, 23:35   Link #26
rainnydaiis
Let it Rain

Send a message via MSN to rainnydaiis
Haruhi hands down!! I don't know why but she just catches my attention like no other anime character has doen before
Old 2006-04-29, 23:56   Link #27
RiXeD
excuse me wtf r u desu?

Haruhi ALL THE WAY!

Kyon = Yuuji clone so he sux my sox.
Old 2006-04-30, 00:30   Link #28
Akuryou
*cackle* *cackle*

Send a message via MSN to Akuryou
Haruhi, Yuki and Kyon for me.

Haruhi is just plain freaking awesome, Yuki wins for cuteness and Kyon is the best male lead ever.
Old 2006-04-30, 00:43   Link #29
Shirobane
Haruhiism Worshipper

Hmm, this thread may be treading on thin ice...

But anyways, my votes go to Haruhi/Yuki and Tsuruya/Kyon.

Haruhi/Yuki: Rather than say, Yuki becomming a tool to develop Haruhi's character, both of their characters/personalities contrast and play on each other a lot. In the end, both Haruhi and Yuki become developped by these contrasts while indirectly having contact with each other.
The most obvious contrasts between the two are quite literally on the surface; Haruhi is overly-hyper versus Yuki who is very reserved in comparison.
Spoiler for not sure but I'll spoiler anyways:

I believe that the contrasts between the two characters will become a driving force for the story later on.

Kyon and Tsuruya : Kyon is in the simplest terms, the hero of the story. In a broader scope, he'll fall into a harem lead category what with being around 3 ladies all the time
Spoiler for And possibly another one in the future? :o:
In the first case, his sarcastic narrative and accessibility to the viewers (being "normal" and all) wins him some appreciation. In the second case, regardles of the fact that he exhibits forms of uselessness is overshadowed by the fact that Haruhi really is an overpowering force. I guess coupled with a more real-life setting, it's reasonable to assume that a wimpy harem lead role is acceptable. This is also leveraged by the fact that his narrative form a method of attack against his oppressor, so that he doesn't seem very wimpy after all.

Tsuruya-San is simply genki off the scale. So infections that her laugh could put your face into a goofy contorted smirk. I'd love to see more screen-time for Tsuruya-san.

Sadly I can't vote for Mikuru as my statement from episode 3 still stands, and since all votes are final, I believe I covered a broad enough scope

Last edited by Shirobane; 2006-04-30 at 01:59.
Old 2006-04-30, 01:09   Link #30
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The problem is I like *ALL* the characters ... they are each integral to the show and it would definitely be missing a lot without anyone one of them (perfect "team" ensemble acting show?).
Despite being insane and attracted to Suzumiya --- I voted for Kyon due to his "everyman" approach to this brain-addling situation and for poor brave Mikuru as she risks utter ruination in the task to entertain Haruhi.
Old 2006-04-30, 01:16   Link #31
Thelastguardian

Not sure if anyone cares but my #1 vote goes to Yuki .

If you read closely you will notice that all the people who choose Yuki have read the novels. Or rather, all the people who have read the novels choose Yuki. This should be a good indicator.

Second is Haruhi (she has her part stolen by Yuki later on XD ), and third is Kyon (a distant third).
Old 2006-04-30, 01:18   Link #32
PhantomX
Tsuruya's Lover

Send a message via AIM to PhantomX Send a message via MSN to PhantomX
What does genki mean? o_O
Old 2006-04-30, 01:26   Link #33
mr.muffin

Voted for Haruhi and Mikuru in that order.

Haruhi cos she's just such an intriguing character. That's a summary statement cos I'm lazy to restate my other reasons. Which I've said in another thread.

#2 vote went to Mikuru cos she's just too cute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomX
What does genki mean? o_O
genki means healthy, cheerful, lively.
Old 2006-04-30, 02:47   Link #34
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

My japanese teacher jokes that if you know about 100 words of japanese, you can follow most of almost any anime in its original language ... genki being one of them.

I think in the case of this series, one might need a heftier count of words
Old 2006-04-30, 05:48   Link #35
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal-Reflector
3)Mikuru sets fire to mens' hearts and inspires them to become more chivalrous.
Oh yes. Cute. Fragile. Innocent. Appallingly exploited. Asahina-san FTW.
Old 2006-04-30, 08:52   Link #36
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Post My Rating....

I voted for Tsuruya-chan ,Yuki-dono , Suzumiya-san

All 3 are Nr.1 for me ... well the way I lined them up above is the way I would position them today... lets say that they just keep changing positions every day ... more then once

It's a good thing they all have super stamina ... I don't believe any of the other characters would resist with the constant change of position I put them throw...

Average line up and reasons...

Judgment by personality...

Basic ingredients I saw in the characters :

Tsuruya :
Yuki :
Haruhi :
Well usually the fight for #1 is between Tsuruya-chan and Suzumiya-san... can't decide what I like more Tsuruya's laughter or Haruhi's smile... I guess Tsuruya's ahead a little since I identify with her a little... but I'm sure everyone wants to think they're a god deciding the fate of the world every day... so Haruhi is a close contestant...

Yuki's special... maybe I don't like to imagine her move a lot or something... since she usually just stays a solid #2... however... when she goes #1 the other 2 both go #3...
Judgment by the cuteness factor...

All the characters are cute... but here's what I like about them...

Yuki
the main thing about her is the fact she always just stairs at some point in space or reads a book just reminds me of me... sometimes... when I "journey into deep space" and just freeze... +++ for her.
One thing that I would really like to see is a smiling Yuki with long hair...
Haruhi
the biggest thing I like about Haruhi's character design is the fact that :
  1. She can just go from 1 extreme to another... angry happy, evil good... and ...
  2. ...she always smiles with that big dirty little mouth of hers wide open...
Tsuruya
Hm... lets see...
  • She's energetic... happy happy... power power... is what I want to hear from an anime character
  • She looks smart
  • The long green hair
  • That little overgrown tooth of hers... hope she's a werewolf or something... or at least a demon
  • Maybe it's just me... but I don't recall ever seeing her sad or angry in the anime... hope I never do ... I might like it too much...
    C'mon Tsuruya-chan... I know you got it in you... go kick Haruhi's but...
Judgment by intelligence...

I like smart characters... as in characters that already know what they have to do or that can adapt in an instant to a new environment... having stupid filler episodes were a character learns some stupid simplistic thing just doesn't draw my interest... and I tend to hate the character afterwards for being so stupid as to need it...

Anyway Haruhi's too stubborn to change or to be influenced... Tsuruya looks too stupid to change... as for Yuki... no comment...

Judgment by super powers ...

Well lets see they all seem to be overpowered... yet there powers are very... mysterious and hidden... I suppose Yuki and Haruhi have the edge since they have apocalyptic abilities... but that just means they will move less when they use them... and I like to see some movement when a character expresses his/her abilities... makes it look cool IMO... so Tsuruya-san has a fighting chance ...

Other characters counted in my line up so might as well make one or two comments for them (note the above are all Nr. 1)...
  1. Mikuru is #2... for her little scream and cute smile (I still Haruhi's and Tsuraya's better )
  2. Kyon is also #2 (it's a coincidence... really )... main reason is for protecting Mikuru... so he doesn't jump at every little thing but at least he acts when things get too scarry for her... that and his commentaries are 40% of the fun...
  3. Kyon's sister and the kitty are #3... I just love protecting poor helpless unappreciated characters ...
  4. Kyon's friends (short stuff and the other guy) are #5... I don't really appreciate filler characters ...

I think I forgot someone...
Old 2006-04-30, 09:50   Link #37
suckoja

For me... It's only one choice. It's Kyon. His comment is truly human! If other character have their own unique type, I believed this guy represent how much a human can be so simple. He's so simply that you have to resemble him with yourself sometime!
Old 2006-04-30, 10:14   Link #38
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Mikuru! Reason:--

Quote:
Originally Posted by warning! not 56k friendly
Edit by Mod (xris): Putting it in a spoiler tag doesn't help the poor 56k'ers. Even if you never open the spoiler tag the entire image is downloaded everytime someone just looks at this particular page of posts. Changed the image tag to a URL tag.

Last edited by xris; 2006-04-30 at 10:27.
Old 2006-04-30, 10:20   Link #39
mr.muffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCatXIII
I think I forgot someone...
Ryoko? Itsuki?

Btw, I liked the way you represented Yuki, Tsuruya and Haruhi's personality using smilies. It's just cute.
Old 2006-04-30, 14:04   Link #40
Keitarou
Ninja

Good thing that a multiple choice is allowed, since the cast is really likeable and one (or at least I) just can't go with only one of them. :)

Kyon and Haruhi as the main pairing take the #1 spot together. They definitely belong to my respective most favourite character lists. And they are what make the show running.

Kyon because of his sarcastic narration and comments. I usually dislike male characters since they are either the greatest losers on this earth (feel free to point out my nick, he's an exception for various reasons =P) or the usual shounen archetypes, beaten up every time just to train and become better, so any characters who aren't like that are immediately a +10 charisma in my book. And Kyon takes it on a solely another level, finally a character who one can, with almost 100%, relate to.

And Haruhi because of her attitude and behaviour. She wants to make this boring world livable and fun and she doesn't care how she reaches this goal. Her ideas and actions are crazy and silly and also a lot of fun. She's eccentric and darn cute, that's of course another point for her.

For the second spot Yuki and Mikuru. Mikuru's "no comment" and the cosplay, definitely her strengths but she's more than just a toy for Haruhi (or is she ;) ), looking forward to her future self to appear outside the opening. Yuki because she's far more than she seems to be at first and because of the little changes.

And for the last spot Tsuruya and Kyon's adorable sister, the underdogs. Tsuruya because she's genki, I think the reasons were already stated before - long green hair, overgrown tooth, her shining expression, and enjoys Mikuru being tormented by Haruhi just as much as the viewer. :)
Kyon's sister, mhm, because she's his sister and kawaii, yep, just as simple. =P
Closed Thread