Notices

Old 2009-01-21, 05:06   Link #2441
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Question: why do noises like scratching on a blackboard feel so unpleasant and send shivers down people's spines?
not everyone is bothered with it, some find the sound simply annoying because of the tone or perhaps cause of a long lost memory, babies can start crying out of nowhere when hearing a drill, Ties surely did but that was because as a young baby the docs used it for something, don't remember what

http://digg.com/odd_stuff/Why_Are_Na...ard_Irritating
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-21, 05:59   Link #2442
Jill Valentine

This would be the most embarrassing question ever, i have infractions in my profile can others see it?
Jill Valentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-21, 06:02   Link #2443
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

I think it s just you and the moderators than can see it.
Old 2009-01-21, 06:05   Link #2444
Jill Valentine

ganbaru Thanks alot for telling me
Jill Valentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-21, 06:10   Link #2445
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuppy Cake View Post
i have infractions in my profile can others see it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
I think it s just you and the moderators than can see it.
You think correctly: this information, and more, is to be found in the Infractions and Warnings section of the FAQ.
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-21, 06:11   Link #2446
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
I have noticed that at certain time of the day certain section of the forum has increase in number of viewers to about two hundreds. Anyone know why does that happen?
If I remember correctly. Most of the users on this board are from the United States. The board runs on GMT, which for me is 5 hours away. So from 21:00 - 24:00 GMT, should be about the busiest for this forum.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-21, 09:43   Link #2447
fanty
STARVING ARTIST

Will a sword fall out of it's sheath if you stand upside down?
Old 2009-01-21, 10:03   Link #2448
ZippyDSM
Incoherance is my friend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yFANTgirl View Post
Will a sword fall out of it's sheath if you stand upside down?
Depends on how its made a better designed or built sword will not just fall out of its sheath with graity alone it would take some shaking to coaks it out.
ZippyDSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-21, 13:48   Link #2449
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

European: A sheath should grip the sword lightly so that merely being upside down won't dislodge it but a really bonus sheath has a small "safety" strap or clasp that can be used to keep the sword locked in. The sword can be looser in the sheath in order to be drawn more quickly if danger is near.

Japanese swords and their sheaths are kind of nifty in that all the friction is in the part next to the hilt - so the sword is held securely but can be drawn almost instantly.
Old 2009-01-21, 14:59   Link #2450
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Question: why do noises like scratching on a blackboard feel so unpleasant and send shivers down people's spines?
I get the same feeling but with other things. Things like dry cement or that sort of powdery stuff that tends to stick to your fingers gives me goosebumps whenever I touch them. It happens a lot with dry plaster, for example. Sometimes it gets so bad I can't even bare to touch things (sculptures and that sort of stuff).

For the record, blackboard scratching does nothing to me.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-21, 18:13   Link #2451
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I always figured the backboard noise sets off some small ancient part of the brain that is wired for small creatures who relate that noise to flesh and tendons being scraped off of bones by something large with nasty teeth.
Old 2009-01-22, 00:27   Link #2452
dragon4dudes
Uncountable rationality

Send a message via MSN to dragon4dudes
about the blackboards, I think it creates a screech at a certain frequency which is usually never heard. It probably just surprises many more people than it scares. And as some people are more easily scare than others, it creates "displeasure" for some, but not all. Not remembering if it has ever happened while I was in the vicinity, I wouldn't know, but we can guess, unless you really wanted to scratch a blackboard.

Another question, is it possible to remove the need for sleep indefinitely?

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so. Douglas Adams
Where facts are few, experts are many. Donald R. Gannon

void foo() {foo();} // Can you guess what this line of code does?
dragon4dudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-22, 00:50   Link #2453
FateAnomaly

For normal people no. But i have read that there are some people who can't fall asleep normally due to some sickness or something. Due to lack of sleep, they are constantly depressed and stress up. Probably suicidal too.

Sleep is necessary for the brain to reorganize itself and for the body to repair itself.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-22, 02:33   Link #2454
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The brain requires sleep to process the day's information. Recent neuroscience studies show its rather not unlike the "garbage collection and data optimization" routines in complex databases.

However, there are and may be ways to *optimize* sleep so you need less. But go with 2-3 hrs of sleep for a few days and most people will start having severe muscular aches, particularly in the back and the neck so there are other reasons for sleep as well.
Old 2009-01-22, 03:09   Link #2455
FateAnomaly

I get muscular ache (after i wake up) in my arms after going without sleep for just 1 day.

A related question. Why do we get a headache if we sleep too long? (Or is it just me?)
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-22, 03:15   Link #2456
Solafighter
Hige

Quote:
Originally Posted by FateAnomaly View Post
A related question. Why do we get a headache if we sleep too long? (Or is it just me?)
Mh depends, what kind and how wild the night was.
Old 2009-01-22, 04:12   Link #2457
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by FateAnomaly View Post
I get muscular ache (after i wake up) in my arms after going without sleep for just 1 day.

Dehydration. It's the same reason your body is so hungry when you wake up. Even though your body runs with minimal amounts of energy while you sleep, it takes a lot of energy to get the body going after you wake up. This is why many adults use caffeine products to jolt the body awake in the morning - they often don't get enough sleep to recharge and/or have no time to eat properly before starting the days activities (and why many of them crash in the afternoon when all that energy wears off).

By the way, drinking water also helps deal with hangovers. Alcohol dehydrates you, which is what causes the hangover effect as your body is processing large amounts of it (consequently this is also why you have to use the bathroom more, and why you crave salty things when drinking alcohol; the body is trying to flush itself of toxins).

About the blackboard question - No one knows actually. Scientists have done studies but have yet to find a reason why those frequencies bother some people, but others appear unaffected.
Old 2009-01-22, 06:41   Link #2458
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
However, there are and may be ways to *optimize* sleep so you need less. But go with 2-3 hrs of sleep for a few days and most people will start having severe muscular aches, particularly in the back and the neck so there are other reasons for sleep as well.
Due to my job, lately I've been sleeping an average of 4 to 5 hours a day at night. Of course, I sleep during the long bus rides to the office (over an hour in duration), but still, it's not the same. I'm completely sleepy during the morning and I recover around 10:30~11:00 AM. I don't feel particularly tired during the afternoon, but when Friday comes I don't even want to go out at night.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-22, 06:47   Link #2459
Shoko
Estelle x Yuri

Now I have other silly question that has simmilarity,
what is credits and what is that for ?
Shoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-22, 07:12   Link #2460
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Either a way of referring to money usually in a game or more common a endnote on a play, movie or otherwise (book, game etc) where the authors and contributors are listed as a way of crediting (synonym: acknowledging) them for their work.

Tags
problem, q&a, serious