AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Utawarerumono

Notices

View Poll Results: What is their gender?
Both are male. 119 50.42%
Both are female. 105 44.49%
Dorii is male and Guraa is female. 6 2.54%
Guraa is male and Dorii is female. 6 2.54%
Voters: 236. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-01-05, 05:49   Link #441
Viperus

They're girls. When that trader guy first arrived , the girls bought jewlery , and had their typical cute girly faces (aka. Mr. emperor please buy this) that makes guys go bankrupt. And the other thing. I heared that PC game Utawarerumono is simmilar to FF tactics , only after each level you see a hentai scene. So.......

ok , finally found the full cg from the utawarerumono pc game....took me a while. No hentai picutures of the twins , actually , no pictures with them at all. Looks like they were added by the anime staff later.
Old 2007-01-05, 08:56   Link #442
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperus View Post
They're girls. When that trader guy first arrived , the girls bought jewlery , and had their typical cute girly faces (aka. Mr. emperor please buy this) that makes guys go bankrupt. And the other thing. I heared that PC game Utawarerumono is simmilar to FF tactics , only after each level you see a hentai scene. So.......

ok , finally found the full cg from the utawarerumono pc game....took me a while. No hentai picutures of the twins , actually , no pictures with them at all. Looks like they were added by the anime staff later.
The archer twins are male in the game... so you won't be seeing H-scene CGs of them. As for that trader scene... please refer to the back pages of this thread on the relevant counterpoints.

Cheers.
Old 2007-01-05, 09:43   Link #443
Viperus

ok im gonna start spamming their email untill i get an answer . They will break sooner or later
Old 2007-01-05, 16:55   Link #444
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

I checked out the New Type DVD with Episode 4 Dubbed, and they sound like young male characters in the dub, too. In both the Japanese version and English version, I believe they clearly sound like young male characters. Their voices from the English VAs is a lot like the English voices for Naruto, Edward Elric, and Toboe, all of which were also voiced by women, as well.

Also, about a past arguement, about how the Seiyuu for Dori and Gura is a woman, that certainly does not mean that they are automatically female because the Seiyuu is female. In fact, the same Seiyuu also did the voice of Hauenkua (the blue haired bunny guy villain).

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...le.php?id=6844
Old 2007-01-05, 18:16   Link #445
Pelki

Send a message via AIM to Pelki
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
I checked out the New Type DVD with Episode 4 Dubbed, and they sound like young male characters in the dub, too. In both the Japanese version and English version, I believe they clearly sound like young male characters. Their voices from the English VAs is a lot like the English voices for Naruto, Edward Elric, and Toboe, all of which were also voiced by women, as well.

Also, about a past arguement, about how the Seiyuu for Dori and Gura is a woman, that certainly does not mean that they are automatically female because the Seiyuu is female. In fact, the same Seiyuu also did the voice of Hauenkua (the blue haired bunny guy villain).

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...le.php?id=6844
Indeed. The three male characters I find most attractive are all voiced by a female seiyuu. ;0
Old 2007-01-18, 20:19   Link #446
Gomenasai
The Poster-guy

they are both girls, remember the ep where hokouro goes off and tells the twins to take care of there master, and they both smile. later on in the ep you see the twins hazing him with sake, and after that a shot of all 3 of them naked under red silk blanket. you can tell by there physical features even thoh the red silk is over the chest area, you can tell that they have femenin body's with very snall breasts.
Old 2007-01-18, 21:04   Link #447
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

^

You are like 6 months late with that point.

That has already been discussed, check earlier pages about that episode and more.
Old 2007-01-19, 12:35   Link #448
Flame-X
Anti-fan

*sigh*..... 23 pages and no answers yet..
Old 2007-01-21, 18:20   Link #449
Lord Stone

I think they are both guys...

For the entire series I had just assumed they were girls... but after reading this thread I have been searching for signs for about half an hour, and found that I could only find hints to them being male...

After being rather disturbed by that fact - especially since I am a heterosexual male and I found myself attracted to them (thinking they were female) - I decided that they actually rule much, much more after having discovered they are male.

Things I found:

- The use of boku-tachi when they refer to themselves goes back all the way to episode three, and in fact... it happens quite a lot. Now, to think this could actually be adapted language from growing up in a male-dominated culture... I sincerely doubt it... (they would have had Yuzuha to relate to just to begin with, but there are no signs they have that kind of background at all).

- There is also the implication that Karura is the first female being accepted into the army.

- If they had been girls... would they really need to get Oboro liquored up to have their way with him? I doubt it... considering the strength of their bond, and the fact the twins are rather assertive to begin with... there would be no need to do that...

There's more really, but I don't feel like continuing... on the flipside though, there are no direct implications to them being female at all. Sure, there is the shot with the jewelry and everything, but that is very easily explained if they are gay males also...
Old 2007-01-21, 20:01   Link #450
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Stone View Post
I think they are both guys...

For the entire series I had just assumed they were girls... but after reading this thread I have been searching for signs for about half an hour, and found that I could only find hints to them being male...

After being rather disturbed by that fact - especially since I am a heterosexual male and I found myself attracted to them (thinking they were female) - I decided that they actually rule much, much more after having discovered they are male.

Things I found:

- The use of boku-tachi when they refer to themselves goes back all the way to episode three, and in fact... it happens quite a lot. Now, to think this could actually be adapted language from growing up in a male-dominated culture... I sincerely doubt it... (they would have had Yuzuha to relate to just to begin with, but there are no signs they have that kind of background at all).

- There is also the implication that Karura is the first female being accepted into the army.

- If they had been girls... would they really need to get Oboro liquored up to have their way with him? I doubt it... considering the strength of their bond, and the fact the twins are rather assertive to begin with... there would be no need to do that...

There's more really, but I don't feel like continuing... on the flipside though, there are no direct implications to them being female at all. Sure, there is the shot with the jewelry and everything, but that is very easily explained if they are gay males also...

Yeah, I agree with you. I think that, first of all, they are assumed to be male in the anime unless specifically stated they are female; not the other way around. They are based off of male characters from the game, after all, and it definately looks like they kept every aspect of the characters the same from the game to the anime. So I find that there are things which indicate they are male, and nothing which specifically and directly says they are female. Also, things like the jewelry scene and how feminine they looked could very well be explained as using some humor by playing with stereotypes about homosexual males. This arguement is not far fetched since they are gay in the game, and displayed feminine qualities, as well. Heck, the scene in the anime where they sleep with Oboro; a comedic scene (important to note), is based off a comedic scene very similar in the game. Once you take some things into consideration, I think the conclusion that they are male makes a lot of sense.

And you said something in your 2nd paragraph that I relate to. I'm a hetero male, too, but I find the idea of the twins being male much more fitting. I find it more fitting, and also, before I even saw this thread, I figured they were male just from watching a few episodes with them and hearing their voices; they came across as male characters to me pretty much right off the bat.

Last edited by Urzu 7; 2007-01-21 at 20:12.
Old 2007-02-06, 02:07   Link #451
Princess_of_Hell
Being Felt Up My Skirt

Send a message via AIM to Princess_of_Hell
Actually they are male becasue in the game they are male. Dori and Gura want to prove that they are male by undressing but Hakuoro refuses to let them show, possibly by embarrassment.
Old 2007-02-10, 02:53   Link #452
Flame-X
Anti-fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess_of_Hell View Post
Actually they are male becasue in the game they are male. Dori and Gura want to prove that they are male by undressing but Hakuoro refuses to let them show, possibly by embarrassment.
wait.. undress? what ep was this?
Old 2007-02-10, 18:11   Link #453
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clamp-X View Post
wait.. undress? what ep was this?
He says it is in the game.

I know some people decided to determine that the game shouldn't matter in this discussion, but I have always disagreed with that. The thread starter laid that down in the original post, but I disagree with that and disregard it.

I think it is for a good reason, though. People who support this like to say "Well, look at FMP: TSR. They changed the twins from the novel into females for the anime!".

Yes, look at FMP: TSR. The very big difference there is that they did indeed take two male twin characters from the lite novel and make similar female twins for the anime TSR in their place, but they made it clear as day; absolutely clear. Not only is it totally clear just by seeing the FMP twins in concept art or during any given episode, the very first time you see the twins in FMP, they are taking a shower, and then when they get out, you see nudity and T&A. This is certainly not the case for Dori and Gura in Utawa. Whereas in FMP, you can see a character change right away that is totally clear, Dori and Gura have been portrayed in the anime just as they are in the game, and their character traits have transitioned from the game to the anime.

So, yeah, I don't agree with that rule the OP made, and I don't find the FMP example as a good reason for it.
Old 2007-03-06, 22:52   Link #454
Seiryuu

Just stumbled on this. Looked for it after seeing the picture many have noted, a picture which depicts one of the reasons I don't drink...
I think the animators intentionally left things unconfirmed just to drive people crazy. There were definitely some hints that they're female. At first I though they were female because of the way they dressed - at first, I didn't see any tails hanging out of men's pants in the village, though I may have missed them. My suspicions were enhanced by the fact that the twins were shown playing with the jewelry while the merchant was advertising accessories "for the ladies"(rough translation), and by the fact that, as I believe some have mentioned, they are shown last in the opening, where the men are all shown in action, followed by the military women, and ended with the twins. This is probably just done to throw people off, since the game said they were male and the producers wanted to make people wonder, but apparently it was successful in that goal.
Honestly, several of the points made to support their masculinity here seem somewhat insubstantial. Boku is indeed a somewhat masculine way to refer to oneself, but it's hardly gender-exclusive, esp. in anime. I've seen quite a few anime/manga series with girls who use the term, not to mention JPop idols. For that matter, there are far more gender-specific terms, such as "watashi", which is generally a feminine term. If you say that the twins are guys because they say "boku", you'd might as well say that Hakuoro, who always says "watashi", is a girl!
For that matter, I've heard some suggest, at least at first, that their military training is suggestive of masculinity, when the show clearly treats women as at least equally capable of strength, strategy, and pure, macho bloodlust.
Ultimately, I'd say that the twins were left indeterminate in the anime so that people could see it how they wanted, or so that we'd have something to argue about. I'm going to go with the hint of the jewelry and say they're girls, not by conviction, but just on account of the fact that I don't want to imagine two (relatively) little boys getting a grown man dead drunk so they could :cough: play with him. Though I'm not sure I'm that fond of the idea of two little GIRLS basically using sake to rape their lord either...
Old 2007-03-06, 23:17   Link #455
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiryuu View Post
Boku is indeed a somewhat masculine way to refer to oneself, but it's hardly gender-exclusive, esp. in anime. I've seen quite a few anime/manga series with s who use the term, not to mention JPop idols. For that matter, there are far more gender-specific terms, such as "watashi", which is generally a feminine term. If you say that the twins are guys because they say "boku", you'd might as well say that Hakuoro, who always says "watashi", is a !
'Watashi' is gender neutral, and can be used by anyone in almost any situation. 'Boku' I would describe as 'boyish,' 'ore' is almost exclusively masculine, and 'atashi' is almost exclusively feminine. Come back when you've learned Japanese.
Old 2007-03-06, 23:56   Link #456
Seiryuu

I already know Japanese, thank you. From what I've learned, watashi is perhaps better described as a formal term. In business or official settings, such as speaking to a board in a meeting, it is pretty normal. In casual settings, it's relatively neutral. However, it seems slightly more common among girls than boys, especially in youths. I guess my count is off somewhat since, while I know Japanese, I don't have any experience IN Japan, so most conversations I've heard, read, or otherwise been exposed to, have been in some form of Japanese media such as anime, live action, manga and novel. Simply because it sells, this often seems to have a large amount of young, blunt, ultra-casual characters, so "watashi" is often treated as less feminine that "atashi", but often generally feminine nonetheless. My point was that "boku" is hardly gender-exclusive, especially in youths and in fictitious works such as this. Though not as formal as "watashi", it is, at least in much anime/manga/etc, roughly as gender-neutral and thus irrelevant to the question of gender. Here, energetic, tomboyish girls like the twins may be are no less likely to use the term than a guy.
Old 2007-04-21, 18:34   Link #457
Kyma

U guys r all dumb y would 2 twin guys get naky in bed with another guy -.-
Old 2007-04-21, 18:45   Link #458
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyma View Post
U guys r all dumb y would 2 twin guys get naky in bed with another guy -.-
I can think of at least one reason...
Old 2007-04-21, 18:54   Link #459
Flame-X
Anti-fan

Trio Party!!!!
Old 2007-04-22, 19:32   Link #460
Dark Shadow

Girls! this point would prove it.

... in the anime, there is a part in which Oboro stays with the girls... kind of a explicit pic with the three of 'em. He says that these two girls and he spent a great night. Episode 17. there is an image... in which these two look all girly... they are girls... they put girly faces when that part is mentioned.

Girls all the way.

Last edited by Dark Shadow; 2007-04-22 at 21:28.
Closed Thread