Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Madoka Magica

Notices

Old 2011-02-11, 10:54   Link #481
Seihai
スマイリウム

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
It is hinted that when the body separates from the egg, that particular MG doesn't have any recollection on what was happening during all the time their link with their Soul Gem was apart.
As Kyouko said, because Sayaka was dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Hmm, I was under the assumption Mami's bind prevented her from turning into a magical girl. Speaking of which, it really pissed me off that Madoka didn't manage to tell such a vital information to Sayaka.
Ah, yeah... I didn't notice that Homura wasn't transformed at that time. Geh, the clothes look similar. It pissed me off, too.

Quote:
Actually, I was thinking she used her own power to travel back in time. We don't know the limits of magic... it's possible that by stocking up or harnessing enough power (maybe by killing Kyubey?), she could expand her abilities and go back in time.

If we assume Homura is Madoka, then it's highly likely she contracted with Kyubey early, since there was no "Homura" to dissuade her from doing so in the original timeline. Sayaka might have taken her place in the current timeline (it seemed like Homura didn't expect her to become a MG).
Interesting... well I guess then the possibilities are infinite if magic can do that much.
Old 2011-02-11, 10:54   Link #482
RedWing

You're missing the significance of Walpurgis Night, after which by the dialogue we can assume Homura no longer cares what happens. I think that weakens the Homura==Madoka. If we also go by Homura's "If you do something stupid, I'm not holding back" we can infer that Homera's wish to stop Madoka becoming a MS is not for the sake of Madoka.

My personal theory is that Walpurgis Night is the turning point in which something in the other timeline involving Madoka destroyed the world or something to that effect. (Madoka being eaten by the creature and it becoming more powerful etc.). Homera has now come back in time to stop Madoka becoming a MS and hence stopping that terrible event. The problem in my theory is that Homura knows of Kyouko and co. so its obvious in her timeline she was close to them (she knew where she hung out with no problem) so who is Homura in this timeline?
RedWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-11, 11:34   Link #483
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Redwing - Those are very interesting speculations. They'd also fit nicely with what we know so far about all the key characters involved.

Well, if Homura is from the future but not Madoka, how about... future Hitomi?

She'd like to save Madoka if she can since Madoka was a close friend of her's in the original timeline, but Homura's main concern could be stopping a disaster that, say, killed her parents.
Old 2011-02-11, 11:39   Link #484
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
It's impossible to tell for sure at this point. The way her ability was portrayed on screen, it's either teleporting or time stop (for a couple seconds). At the moment, I'm more inclined to believe it's the latter since it fits with the time traveling theory (who's pretty much confirmed now). Also, one little thing: if Homura has the ability to teleport, she could have teleported on top of the truck instead of going through the trouble of climbing (she had a hard time doing that too). Of course, it's possible she simply ran out of juice or that the truck was too high.
Well, if she teleports I doubt she can calculate how to land on a moving object (the trunk) so that explains that. It's true though, that we can't tell for sure yet.
Old 2011-02-11, 12:55   Link #485
Triple_R
*Author

Kawakanai had a speculation earlier on this thread that I'm starting to give more consideration to, and flesh out a bit. Here it is in the following spoiler space.

Spoiler for Spoilers used to save space:

So there you go. What to people think? Sorry if that was all really hard to follow.
Old 2011-02-11, 13:54   Link #486
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanish View Post
And if she could teleport, she could have escaped Mami's bind, too. But if we assume her ability is time manipulation, then no matter how much time she had, escaping from the bind would have been simply too hard. (or at least even if it was possible to escape the bind, Mami would have been dead by then either way)
I agree with this and it's why I also think she can stop time but not teleport.

Quote:
So there you go. What to people think? Sorry if that was all really hard to follow.
I'm sorry if what I'm going to say is quite short,but the thing that sticks out to me is that you left Kyoko out of all this yet Homura knows her and says they have "perhaps" met before,so she was involved in the previous timeline somehow.
Also,about the two soul gems,I thought it was confirmed this was an animation error because people started looking and she's shown as only having one everywhere else in the anime,don't have a link though.
Old 2011-02-11, 14:03   Link #487
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
I'm sorry if what I'm going to say is quite short,but the thing that sticks out to me is that you left Kyoko out of all this yet Homura knows her and says they have "perhaps" met before,so she was involved in the previous timeline somehow.
Ok, fair enough. You can factor Kyoko into the previous timeline.

Quote:
Also,about the two soul gems,I thought it was confirmed this was an animation error because people started looking and she's shown as only having one everywhere else in the anime,don't have a link though.
Interesting. Oh well.

One brief new speculation (or anti-speculation): A lot of people have predicted that Sayaka's relationship with Kamijo would sour, or end entirely. At the time when most/all of those predictions were made, the idea made some sense to me. Now, however, I'm more skeptical of that. It's no longer necessary in order to put Sayaka through a lot of grief and turmoil (especially if she has amnesia, as she might have).

Right now, I think there's actually an outside chance that Sayaka/Kamijo end up together by the end of this anime. I don't think it's particularly likely, but it's possible. Depends on how dark Urobuchi wants this to be, and/or how happy he wants the ending to be.
Old 2011-02-11, 15:05   Link #488
Jimmy C

It's been pointed out Sayaka is most likely confused as to why she's on the ground instead of talking to Madoka as she last remembered.
Jimmy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-11, 15:17   Link #489
Seihai
スマイリウム

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
It's been pointed out Sayaka is most likely confused as to why she's on the ground instead of talking to Madoka as she last remembered.
Plus everyone is silent, plus everyone stares at her, plus Madoka's teary face and the change of positions. So yes, her "What? What happened?" reaction is pretty much natural.

I'd find it weird if she really had amnesia. How does that work? It's a live or die situation. Within 100 meter = alive. 100+ meter = literally soulless = corpse. All you lose is your life (which makes for the everything or nothing-situation). Obviously while you're dead you don't remember anything, but when the soul gem comes into reach again you come back to your senses (life) and you're bound to wonder what happened while you were dead. That is, in case you even know that you were dead because possibly if you knew about the limit and you knew that the soul gem would be 100 meter away you would naturally worry about your life and know that you were dead in case you come back to life.

Physically speaking the body was the same as before. So memories => brain -> same as before = no amnesia. And there's no reason why her memory would magically disappear, nor are her memories part of the soul.
Old 2011-02-11, 15:31   Link #490
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
One brief new speculation (or anti-speculation): A lot of people have predicted that Sayaka's relationship with Kamijo would sour, or end entirely. At the time when most/all of those predictions were made, the idea made some sense to me. Now, however, I'm more skeptical of that. It's no longer necessary in order to put Sayaka through a lot of grief and turmoil (especially if she has amnesia, as she might have).

Right now, I think there's actually an outside chance that Sayaka/Kamijo end up together by the end of this anime. I don't think it's particularly likely, but it's possible. Depends on how dark Urobuchi wants this to be, and/or how happy he wants the ending to be.
Heh, it's possible. But then people would have to face their mistaken assumptions that Sayaka would die or Kamijou would dump her, heh. I'm sure a few of them are wishing they could take those particular things back, or at least not be reminded of them. ;p

But you hit upon a great thing, which is one of the few reasons I still like this anime: we don't know what is going to happen. Practically everything we have is pure speculation, even halfway through the series. Motivations, intents, backstories, conclusion, etc. It's all up in the air.

Will he go for a happy ending? A bad ending? A bittersweet one? A melancholy one with a note of hope?
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-11, 15:46   Link #491
Seihai
スマイリウム

To be honest I still think it's not impossible for Sayaka to die or get dumped by Kamijou. About the former I can only add that we can't say it's either right or wrong until the anime finished or until Sayaka is on a total safe spot (or dead).

Regarding the latter topic, you could interpret different things about Sayaka's visit to Kamijou's house and her conclusion. She hears the violin and automatically assumes everything is fine, she doesn't want to interrupt either. But in reality it could be that not everything is fine and now that she is willing to give him more time for himself and his violin business, the distance becomes bigger and something bad might occur.
At least that's how a possible twist can be applied by showing that everything is fine but in reality the situation is slowly and silently deriving. It's because not much from Kamijou is yet shown / known that I can assume that.

But yeah, we don't know what's going to happen. Maybe you don't need to repeat it that often though. (just saying)
Old 2011-02-11, 15:50   Link #492
Key Board
Carbon

clearly Sayaka's relationship with Kyousuke is not working out. Did he even bother to tell her that he left the hospital? Is he anything more than a stalker to him? To me it's she is already losing in that area.

and all of this is happening because Sayaka did not wish for love. She wished for a recovery. This is something that Mami warned about and what Kyoko made fun of.

Keeping this in mind and what Madoka's mother said to her, I am starting to wonder that perhaps, the theme of this story is that IT IS OKAY TO BE SELFISH

Which goes against the normal conventions of any magical girl story that I know of

As for endings.. well.. I to my knowledge I am familiar with everything that Gen Urobuchi has penned. And to my knowledge this is the very first time he has nearly full liberties on how the story will proceed.

So I expect a bittersweet ending that is paid in blood or tears.. well more of them
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-11, 16:29   Link #493
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
But yeah, we don't know what's going to happen. Maybe you don't need to repeat it that often though. (just saying)
Heh, I'd love to. But when you get people repeating opinions as fact often enough, and treating assumptions as fact, there is no recourse. You have to nip those lies in the bud early, so no one else is deceived.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-11, 18:21   Link #494
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:

I'd find it weird if she really had amnesia. How does that work?
It wouldn't be too large a leap of logic for the anime to say that her becoming so distantly separated from her soul gem gave a nasty jolt to Sayaka's physical body, resulting not only in temporary death, but also memory loss.

I mean, I've seen similar logic in comic books all. the. time.

So if this anime decided to go that route, I honestly wouldn't blink an eye at it. It might not go that way, of course, but I wouldn't be shocked by it. Especially given the cliffhanger note that Episode 6 ended on.

Quote:
And there's no reason why her memory would magically disappear, nor are her memories part of the soul.
I wouldn't be so sure of that. Many people conceive of the soul as a person's inner essence. Many people also conceive of memories as what makes up a person's inner essence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
Heh, it's possible. But then people would have to face their mistaken assumptions that Sayaka would die or Kamijou would dump her, heh. I'm sure a few of them are wishing they could take those particular things back, or at least not be reminded of them. ;p
Heh.

Well, it was a speculation almost as commonly held as "Kyubey is evil".

It still might happen, of course, but it's by no means the sort of virtual certainty that a lot of people were saying, imo.

Quote:

But you hit upon a great thing, which is one of the few reasons I still like this anime: we don't know what is going to happen.
Agreed. I'm glad that some of the more common speculations aren't turning out to be correct, or at least not as quickly as people thought they would.

Quote:
Practically everything we have is pure speculation, even halfway through the series. Motivations, intents, backstories, conclusion, etc. It's all up in the air.

Will he go for a happy ending? A bad ending? A bittersweet one? A melancholy one with a note of hope?
I'm leaning towards one of the last two of those four, but you never know.

Quote:
To be honest I still think it's not impossible for Sayaka to die or get dumped by Kamijou.
Oh, it definitely could happen, it just seems far less than a certainty to me at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
clearly Sayaka's relationship with Kyousuke is not working out. Did he even bother to tell her that he left the hospital?
Have you ever been released from hospital?

I have, a couple times.

Once a hospital releases you, that's it, you're gone. It's a very quick procedure, and you're usually not given a lot of time to pick up your things and get going. You certainly don't have enough time to call everyone you know and tell them that you're being released from hospital.

Now, maybe it works differently in Japan, but if it's the same as it is where I live, I can totally understand Kamijo not getting around to informing Sayaka of his hospital release yet.

And honestly, it wouldn't be some great crime for a guy to absent-mindedly forget to tell one of his friends that he was released from hospital.

Kamijo clearly doesn't view Sayaka as his girlfriend, but going by how he spoke to her and treated her in Episode 5, he does seem to consider her a friend. His family certainly didn't mind having Sayaka on the rooftop with them to listen to Kamijo's first violin recital since his hand healed, and that says a lot, imo.

In any event, my main point is that we no longer need Kamijo and Sayaka's relationship going sour in order to put Sayaka through a lot of turmoil. The overall magical girl situation is doing that quite nicely all on its own. So, it's really just a question of whether or not Urobuchi decides to...

1) Let Sayaka live through this anime.

2) Have a very nice romance in it. I honestly find the whole Kamijo/Sayaka relationship very lovely. I'm surprised that so many people are very cynical about it, and seem to want nothing more than for it not to work out. I mean, if it does work out, it'll make for a simply beautiful romantic subplot, imo.
Old 2011-02-11, 19:11   Link #495
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
clearly Sayaka's relationship with Kyousuke is not working out. Did he even bother to tell her that he left the hospital?

Yep,if he was really interested in her he would have told her,that's the first sign,it might not be as extreme as some predicted but in the end it seems he doesn't care that much about her.
Old 2011-02-11, 19:58   Link #496
Dark Wing

Someone posted an interesting theory on /a/ so I wanted to share see what you all thought?

Old 2011-02-11, 22:20   Link #497
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

It's only one of many interpretation of the Faustian lore to be honest. It would of course assume that the act of using magic is that of witchcraft and the witch hunt is actually a sin in itself. Faustian lore typically are stepped in Christan traditions as a primary assumption. This argument presented, which I've seen on #madoka is actually not horrific.

Some things to keep in mind is that dualism, the separation of body and soul, would be perfectly supported under Christian views and serve no conflict with this interpretation. Moreover, this fits in nicely with the Christian dogma about the struggle of the Serpent with God.

Yet... Kyubey does not play to the Goethe Faust's Mephistopheles in role. In a show where Goethe's tenants run so deep as to be echoed by Madoka's mother in her dialogue with Madoka just in episode 6, for there not to be showing of Mephistopheles defending his position and actively guide Faust would be a massive deviation from this heavily referred source.

The conflict between heaven and hell is another source of concern that I have with this theory. In most Faustian lore, the significant of the game afoot have never been such that they would give the Serpent a decisive, tangible edge against Heaven. Most Faustian lore structure themselves as an ideological exercise played out using Faust as a game piece, if you will. Suggesting that this game of witches and magical girls would have such implication is not sufficiently supported to me.

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

panzerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-11, 22:50   Link #498
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerfan View Post
Yet... Kyubey does not play to the Goethe Faust's Mephistopheles in role. In a show where Goethe's tenants run so deep as to be echoed by Madoka's mother in her dialogue with Madoka just in episode 6, for there not to be showing of Mephistopheles defending his position and actively guide Faust would be a massive deviation from this heavily referred source.
Could you elaborate a bit on this? What do you mean by "Mephistopheles defending his position and actively guide Faust" exactly?

Putting that aside for now, I'd disagree that if there's some heavy references to Goethe's Faust, everything should necessarily play out in the same way. What would be the point in that? I mean, even if this little chat between Madoka and her mother is permeated by Goethe's references, it doesn't mean Kyubey should behave exactly in the same way Goethe's Mephistopheles would do, even if he was taking that role, right?

Goethe might be the main inspiration, but Gen would probably add his own twist to it, I'd think.
Old 2011-02-11, 23:07   Link #499
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post

With Kyoko reminding us in this last episode that wishes for others go "horribly wrong" (on top of Mami already spelling this out), I think you're being very optimistic in thinking things are going to be all peachy on the Kamijo front.

If there's any consolation to be had, it is highly unlikely Sayaka is going to die before we see her wish go "horribly wrong". So, if you like Sayaka, you can at least take solace in that. ;p And, if Sayaka's main purpose is to show us how making a foolish wish turns out, then her death or survival is superfluous to that really.

But, maybe, that's just me.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-11, 23:29   Link #500
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

@Kazu-kun:

Mephistopheles the character, with Goethe's Faust, goes sometimes as far as to state out why Faust should look out for example and urge him to flee for example, from certain death. The last act of the first part of the story is one that comes to my immediate attention. I think I would digress if I were to elaborate on this, so I will stop at this point. Nevertheless, what you have said is correct in that Gen does have his liberties. Not every single Faustian lore shows the devil as being so involved as in Goethe's retelling.

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

panzerfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
madoka magica