AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 19
10 out of 10 : Nearly Perfect... 30 28.30%
9 out of 10 : Excellent... 37 34.91%
8 out of 10 : Very Good... 21 19.81%
7 out of 10 : Good... 8 7.55%
6 out of 10 : Average... 6 5.66%
5 out of 10 : Below Average... 1 0.94%
4 out of 10 : Poor... 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad... 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad... 1 0.94%
1 out of 10 : Torturous... 2 1.89%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-11-09, 22:17   Link #1
Kairin
AnimeSuki's Mascot

Sword Art Online - Episode 19 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Sword Art Online, Episode 19.

The Lugluu Corridor - ルグルー回廊 ~ Ruguruu Kairou

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers or hints about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message, or seek out a more appropriate thread.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on-topic.
  • Do not post multiple times in a row. Please edit your existing post if you wish to add additional thoughts.
Episode Thread Spoiler Policy
  • Any comment that discloses events, characters, plot or other information before it is revealed in the anime is expressly forbidden whether or not it is behind spoiler tags.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
    Please consult the AnimeSuki Spoiler Policy for more information.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a useful title!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any inappropriate spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting inappropriate spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Kairin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-10, 10:27   Link #2
Deltaray

Spoiler:

Images
End card
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by Deltaray; 2012-11-10 at 11:02.
Deltaray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-10, 11:03   Link #3
Lantern
<(゜∀。)

Spoiler:
Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-10, 13:09   Link #4
konart

Spoiler for dat penguin!:
Old 2012-11-10, 13:15   Link #5
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)

^ Haha Sugu pingdrum fan.
Old 2012-11-10, 13:53   Link #6
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

I still have a lot of troubles with this arc, especially regarding any tension since... it is barely there: the urgency of rescuing Asuna from the EVIL Sugou is basically non existent in this episode (which was actually badly handled by having not subtle scenes between the latter two), and having the overdramatic exposure regarding the strife between the races and Sigurd's scheme doesn't really add anything in the overall plot whatsoever, as it isn't helped when you only have Kirito and Leafa around, with 0 involvement of other parties.

I didn't expect any intense scene considering the premise of the ALO arc, but both the content and the direction/execution have a lot left to be desired, as it is simply flat. It is a bit worse when ALO itself doesn't really have as much "gameplay" exposure as SAO, which makes the battles not exactly engaging, especially when things aren't really that consistent (no actual air battle here, Kirito using a illusion spell that actually make the demon real etc). As a side note, unless ALO is conveniently different than SAO there, pain is actually present, obviously not as intense as it could be IRL (otherwise the slap scene is yet another problem).

I can't say I'm going to enjoy how they will deal with Suguha, since there is flat out no chance for her not to fall in love with Kirito with all the shoehorned attraction she got with him, ultimately leading to an obvious anguish once she realized his identity.
Old 2012-11-10, 14:37   Link #7
Deltaray

Watched it again, definitely cracked me up when the only survivor from that salamander pk group fist pumped air with himself for the loot he got from his own teammates.
Deltaray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-10, 14:43   Link #8
Kinku
Hate a Hater.Love a Lover

Send a message via MSN to Kinku
Looks like Kirito going to pull off a Kira yamato and saved everyone in the meeting.
Old 2012-11-10, 14:44   Link #9
Utsuro no Hako

Why exactly are we supposed to care about the machinations of these different races when it doesn't affect Kirito's quest? In SAO this would've been a major development -- war between players, people dying, completion of the game delayed. But here there's nothing at stake except the enjoyment of some players, which pales in comparison to Asuna being locked in a cage by Mr. Rapepants.

Seriously this is like a magical girl delaying her final battle with the Big Bad so she can stop the student council vice president from staging a coup and disbanding the Light Music Club.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-10, 15:04   Link #10
Julio C
Bury My Shell

Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
Kirito turned to a monster we've seen before in another game.

It was funny when Kirito was looking at Leafa's chest, but was really looking at that bat.

I guess Kirito can't solo on this game when he is outnumbered.
Julio C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-10, 15:07   Link #11
ookamigirl

Kirito learning about Spriggans and powers.
These fairy characters do have interesting magic powers.
Leafa & Kirito vs Salamanders.
Kirito's illusion magic was just wow!
Looks like other problems have arisen for Leafa and her kind.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-10, 15:08   Link #12
styr

Can't wait for next episode... and GJ Gleameyes!
styr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-10, 15:14   Link #13
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Hoo-whee, that was a pretty damn entertaining episode. Very nice to see after the past few being overly boring.

Kirito was incredibly badass here. Going up against a party of about 20 or so people with only Lyfa solely performing healing support. His monster form was awesome too, but isn't it supposed to be an illusion? How could he fight in that form then? Ah well, I'm not too concerned about that because it was awesome. Anything awesome I'm willing to forgive no matter how little sense it makes.

And hey, a sub-plot which actually has me more interested than the main one. Guess rescuing Asuna's going to have to wait, and I'm not against that.~

And Kirito brings up that logic of his again. I suppose I agree with it to a point I guess. I mean you wouldn't exactly want to kill someone who is your friend in a game unless it was a friendly duel or something. It's still just a game though, especially in ALO's case.

First time the ALO arc has actually kept me invested. Not sure how long it'll last but I guess I'll see.~
Old 2012-11-10, 15:37   Link #14
LKK

I cracked up at Kirito after he de-monsterfied and was giddy at how much fun he had whomping the enemy troops. Highlight of a fun episode overall for me.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-10, 15:44   Link #15
Xaturas

As usual perfect ep, I just can't get enough of this anime. Just as HS says Sao is still the best anime this season.
Old 2012-11-10, 15:48   Link #16
Awrya
U mad?

At least now we have confirmation that higher level/stats doesn't mean that you can steamroll through opponents, unlike how those bandits in Ep.4 couldn't deal any significant damage. No magic support from Lyfa = dead after a couple more fireballs.

That epic fail from Recon, he already had a good spot for listening to their conversation and didn't need to move out of the corner. If he had just stayed still and made no noise, he wouldn't be Pk'd.

The GleamEyes makes a comeback, too bad Kirito's illusion spell didn't come with a sword. So apparently some spells have possibly different effects when cast with ALO avatars or avatars of SAO players, otherwise Lyfa wouldn't have called the illusion spell useless in combat. Another possibility is that Kirito got simply lucky he transformed into a boss monster
Old 2012-11-10, 15:58   Link #17
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

gotta try salamander next time. i heard it taste like yakiniku

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-10, 16:00   Link #18
Conan-san
Cruel Angel's Thesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by konart View Post
Spoiler for dat penguin!:
Glad I wasn't the only one who saw that.
Conan-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-10, 16:03   Link #19
Julio C
Bury My Shell

Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
Hoo-whee, that was a pretty damn entertaining episode. Very nice to see after the past few being overly boring.

Kirito was incredibly badass here. Going up against a party of about 20 or so people with only Lyfa solely performing healing support. His monster form was awesome too, but isn't it supposed to be an illusion? How could he fight in that form then? Ah well, I'm not too concerned about that because it was awesome. Anything awesome I'm willing to forgive no matter how little sense it makes.
He is supposed to be the most powerful player in the game after inheriting all his stats from SAO, so maybe his magic was high enough to do that?
Julio C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-10, 16:08   Link #20
Clarste
Human

The impression I got about the monster spell is that it was still just an illusion. It didn't make him stronger or anything, it just made his attacks and range look different. The main point is that he broke their formation by frightening them, not that it's an overpowered uber-spell. I mean, previously he had only hit the shields, but after he changed he starting hitting them in the back. Of course, that just makes you wonder why they would care if its common knowledge that Spriggans have such a spell. Maybe it was a bigger monster than usual?

It it did actually make him stronger, then it would just be terrible writing. No excuses.

As for the sudden shift to "politics", honestly I have to say that I care more about that plotline than any of the other plot threads in this arc. I mean saving Asuna from the cheesy villain is hardly interesting. And don't get me started on Suguha's doomed romance. This kind of political machination is not entirely realistic for game like this, but that's the kind of thing people wish MMOs were about (as far as I know, only EVE Online has reached this level of conspiracy). Frankly I don't think it's even possible for that kind of thing to happen in a setting like this, since the playerbase is spread so thin among the different races. Especially if some of them are "underpowered" like Spriggans.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote