AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > AnoHana

Notices

Old 2011-10-17, 18:13   Link #801
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
I find the concept interesting,I just don't trust Okada enough to think she'd manage to mix the slapstick comedy well with the drama.
This never really struck me as a major concern although I will admit that when people talk about badly integrated ecchi in Okada works, I have trouble remembering the scenes they talk about so I may not be the best person to judge that. (Except maybe Enri's "ecchi" catchphrse in Fractale, which to me is more a catchphrase issue than an ecchi one.)

Also, I am adamant that the fountain scene in episode 3 of Canaan was brilliant.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-17, 20:16   Link #802
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Can we not use this thread to complain about unrelated shows and start little wars about it? Thanks...
Old 2011-10-17, 20:22   Link #803
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
It's fairly clear from Okada's description of what she intended to write that she had more in mind than a mere "slapstick erotic comedy", but I guess ANN couldn't come up with a headline that didn't puff that angle. Appears to have coloured a lot of ANN posters' impressions of waht she intended too.

I strongly suspect that the AnoHana that could have been would be closer in tone to the AnoHana that we actually got than to your typical dime a dozen ecchi comedy. And while I love AnoHana (first "Key style childhood friends and supernatural events story" where I've liked the writing and not just the concept since EF, Sola, etc. aren't really "Key style" IMO), I can't help but be intrigued by what could have been. And unlike some of you, I think the result could have been pretty good stuff.
Well, I sorta thought that by having romance there, but as a supporting element elevated the series in my eyes. Since we seem to be comparing AnoHana to Key a lot, I would say that Key generally works best as well when dealing with friendship and supporting romance, rather than that kind in the first place. I find it very hard to become attached if the romance just feels mandatory unless it's extremely fluid (5 cm per second)

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-17, 20:38   Link #804
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
I find it interesting how the ghost plot wasn't part of the initial plan,maybe that's why they never really tried putting much logic on how exactly ghosts interacted with objects and stuff like that.Though I didn't mind
Old 2011-10-17, 23:32   Link #805
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Well, I sorta thought that by having romance there, but as a supporting element elevated the series in my eyes. Since we seem to be comparing AnoHana to Key a lot, I would say that Key generally works best as well when dealing with friendship and supporting romance, rather than that kind in the first place. I find it very hard to become attached if the romance just feels mandatory unless it's extremely fluid (5 cm per second)
See, when I analyze Key's works, I see core plot "concepts" and themes that should make for extremely beautiful and moving works... but whenever those works get adapted into anime, those elements turn into a huge mess. I suspect that the this is less of a problem in the original VNs, since VNs are generally slower paced and offer more explanation.

And that's what I found incredibly impressive about AnoHana: it took a Key style story concept and executed it in an elegant, no BS fashion, and the result is just as beautiful and emotional as I'd hoped. On top of that it surrounded that core concept with some very interesting sidestories in a way that came together into a cohesive whole. Key works have some pretty good sidestories too but they sometimes feel tacked on.

Old 2011-10-18, 02:31   Link #806
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Well, Okada tends to be very good with logic to her scripts-- I mean I love Key, but it seems like they get too convoluted and have trouble making sense. So by sticking the the basic elements, everyone can get it.

If anything, you can count on her to have a very self-consistent story. Though it is interesting that this is the only work of hers I've seen so far to get an emotional reaction out of.

But what does that have to do with romance though?

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-18, 03:03   Link #807
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Well, Okada tends to be very good with logic to her scripts-- I mean I love Key, but it seems like they get too convoluted and have trouble making sense. So by sticking the the basic elements, everyone can get it.

If anything, you can count on her to have a very self-consistent story. Though it is interesting that this is the only work of hers I've seen so far to get an emotional reaction out of.

But what does that have to do with romance though?
Heh... okay, I was more going off on a tangent about Key's works. I see seinen moe-romance as more the domain of titles like EF, True Tears, Hanbun no Tsuki and Iriya no Sora, UFO no Natsu. Conventional romance isn't really the core concept of AnoHana and most of Key's work. Their concept is something more along the lines of "finding beauty in the anguish of separation and joy of renunion experienced by innocent lovers (or would be lovers) as the result of supernatural events". The audience isn't looking for a conventional romance - they're looking for how much beauty you can squeeze from that concept. And AnoHana derives considerable beauty from the elegance of its execution.

(If I ever start a blog, I think I should call it "pretentious moe scholarship". I think it would suit me.)

So perhaps the measure of "proto-AnoHana" would have been would be whether it could find beauty in the passage of time between childhood friends leading to awkward teenage sexual attraction?

(Actually, I think that Okada tried to work awkward teenage sexual attraction towards a childhood friend into Hanasaku Iroha too - it is, after all, likely why Ohana dreams about Kou becoming a waitress (credit to Triple_R for that brilliant observation). The idea is massively underdeveloped in that show though.)

Old 2011-10-18, 06:01   Link #808
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
So perhaps the measure of "proto-AnoHana" would have been would be whether it could find beauty in the passage of time between childhood friends leading to awkward teenage sexual attraction?
I think some of the leftovers from that in AnoHana are the few situations (especially early on) in which Menma has some close physical interaction with Jintan and Jintan was confused and didn't know what to tell her because she wouldn't really understand if he said "stop,you're giving me a boner"
Old 2011-11-23, 09:55   Link #809
extend

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
I find it interesting how the ghost plot wasn't part of the initial plan,maybe that's why they never really tried putting much logic on how exactly ghosts interacted with objects and stuff like that.Though I didn't mind
In the end, I feel that the whole idea about Menma was refreshing for me. I was wondering, what happens to the food that Menma eats, and what will happen to Menma if she gets driver over by a vehicle? I still find that mystery refreshing for me.
extend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-27, 01:07   Link #810
Dark Paladin X

Something I kinda noticed a few days ago, Funimation had released a survey and listed several possible shows in the list. In both lists in both questions, there was an option mark for Anohana. If any of you guys want to see Anohana having a U.S. release, it's a good time to fill that survey and vote for Anohana. And besides, since it's Funimation we're talking about, it will help increase the chances for an English dub for this show.

Mind you, however, that it won't be a 100% guarantee that Anohana will be released by Funimation, since surveys are often subjected to manipulation. However, it's at least better than nothing.
Dark Paladin X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-19, 18:38   Link #811
FireChick

I just found this out: AnoHana's gotten an Italian dub.
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-26, 12:28   Link #812
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

It's also getting a PSP game
Old 2012-03-29, 23:11   Link #813
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

And licensed in the US!
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-30, 02:55   Link #814
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering-dreamer View Post
And licensed in the US!
Without a dub, which made the dub fans scream with rage and asking NIS to die (check forums).
Old 2012-03-30, 06:14   Link #815
FireChick

I do confess I am rather sad it's not getting a dub, but I won't complain, since it got licensed and all. I WILL get those DVDs along with Natsume, even if it kills me and even if they're crazy expensive! I'll pester my parents like no tomorrow!!!!
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-30, 21:31   Link #816
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

This is great it got licensed but its a shame its not getting dubbed its just 11eps it should be easy
Old 2012-03-30, 22:15   Link #817
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Yoma View Post
This is great it got licensed but its a shame its not getting dubbed its just 11eps it should be easy
It's not a matter of ease, it's a matter of cost. Shows like this are popular in certain circles, but seem hard to market to the general buying public. I'm not sure if a show like this would sell enough extra copies to justify the dub. (Not to mention, I think all the anime they've released so far have been sub-only, unless I'm missing something...)
Old 2012-08-05, 06:39   Link #818
winhlp32
(¬‿¬)

Movie Summer 2013!

http://www.anohana.jp/

/
      / \|
    /
winhlp32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-05, 07:15   Link #819
OPN

^ Its going to be retelling of the animes story in menmas point of view.
Old 2012-08-05, 12:25   Link #820
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I might be missing something obvious, but has a NoitaminA show ever gotten a movie before?
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coming of age, drama, noitamina, slice of life, supernatural, tragedy