Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2007-11-02, 00:22   Link #41
Dan the Man
Defeater of Robot Masters
*Artist

Location: Wherever YOU aren't. Thanks for not visiting... *Sniff*
Send a message via AIM to Dan the Man Send a message via MSN to Dan the Man
I'd like to mention Norris Packard in 08th MS Team. Getting cut in half after being shot at by 3 MS, destroying and overturning a chunk of highway on a Gundam, using the same Gundam as a shield, being beaten with a removed left arm, and he still manages to take out a guntank before the top section hits the ground. Amazing...

As for dumb deaths...
Treize in Wing,
Katz in Zeta,
South Burning in 0083,
Dozle Zabi in MSG
Miharu (Kai's spy girlfriend) in MSG

-----Chicks dig giant robots------
Dan the Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-02, 12:26   Link #42
Blaat

V Gundam probably has the biggest WTF death
Spoiler:

What was Tomino thinking back then? ;p Still he created my favourite death scene ever in Space Runaway Ideon.
Blaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-02, 14:24   Link #43
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Well, we all know Tomino was smokin' some kinda corporate crack back then.

That, and he has this tendency to get really depressed, and then take that depression on his characters.

I watched the series without knowing these small details, and in turn, I had a horrific experience. I never watched it, again. In fact, I vow not to watch anything Tomino directs until I first made sure that he was sane during the production process.

- Tak
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-03, 23:21   Link #44
ToxicNarcotic
Fun Drunk

Send a message via AIM to ToxicNarcotic
Bernard Wisemen.
Spoiler for death:
ToxicNarcotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-03, 23:56   Link #45
Tak

You reminded me. There were a lot of pointless deaths in Gundam~

For example:

Spoiler for Deaths:

- Tak
Old 2007-11-04, 13:12   Link #46
Ryuujin

Do we really need spoiler tags in a thread with the title of "most memorable death"?

Don't approach a goat from the front, a horse from the back, or a fool from any side.
"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way: brutally!"~Dinobot
Ryuujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-04, 14:00   Link #47
Tak

Believe it or not, not everyone here seen every Gundam franchise ever produced.

- Tak
Old 2007-11-04, 16:48   Link #48
Ryuujin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Believe it or not, not everyone here seen every Gundam franchise ever produced.

- Tak
That's not what I meant, it seems like the very nature of the thread implies that there's going to be spoilers...

Don't approach a goat from the front, a horse from the back, or a fool from any side.
"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way: brutally!"~Dinobot
Ryuujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-04, 17:03   Link #49
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuujin View Post
That's not what I meant, it seems like the very nature of the thread implies that there's going to be spoilers...
But there are many Gundam series out there so one person could have seen Seed but that person could have not watched any of the UC series yet. Thought lot of people seems to not even bother putting spoiler tags
More death that I remembered
Spoiler for Zeta:

Spoiler for 0083:

Spoiler for 8th ms Team:
Old 2007-11-05, 01:40   Link #50
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
V Gundam probably has the biggest WTF death
Spoiler:

What was Tomino thinking back then? ;p Still he created my favourite death scene ever in Space Runaway Ideon.
Okay if I recall the scene, it was actually more sensible than you might think, if you're willing to suspend disbelief in the characters love of motorcycles a little.

Spoiler for Duker's Death:

Does that clear things up a bit more?
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-05, 02:11   Link #51
Papaya
Sup

Send a message via AIM to Papaya Send a message via MSN to Papaya
Oof, just finished Stardust Memory today.

Spoiler:
Papaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-05, 08:34   Link #52
Sun-Ku

the greatest fucked up death in my opinion is Heines death and THEN there plays the ending song "life goes on"
Old 2007-11-05, 10:03   Link #53
Tak

Yeah, a lot of people believe Heine's death was pretty screwed up.

But I think Talia's death was screwed up even more. Why? She actually had a choice. Her death was ... ... beyond pointless, even by Gundam standards.

- Ta
Old 2007-11-05, 12:59   Link #54
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun-Ku View Post
the greatest fucked up death in my opinion is Heines death and THEN there plays the ending song "life goes on"
Are we talking about how he appeared in one episode and died the next just so that T.M Revolution could do a voice and then be freed from obligation to continue with it. Yeaaaaaaaah..... they might as well have had Pepsi Man as a character if they wanted someone for purely commerical reasons. What's funnier is that Athrun acted like he was the greatest soldier who ever lived and was bowing down to him and his Gouf Ignited (little suspect maybe ) and then he goes and get's utterly defeated the first fight we see him in. I doubt we were supposed to care about his character, but the Seiyuu behind him and the fact there was an Orange Gouf on the shelves waiting to be purchased.

The saddest part is, I see this type of practice in other series too, albeit from different angles. Popular Seiyuu cast as characters in order to sell something.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-05, 17:43   Link #55
MooMooFarm

Rau takes badass, while Char & Amuro take significance. Jerid wins LOL over EVERYTHING, like WOW, he just got WIPED OFF the rival menu JUST LIKE THAT. Stuff like that really made UC "realistic" as there were times when crap WASN'T settled and you felt "it wasnt his/her time yet". That's what war should be. And yeah, Rau is plenty obvious, one of the best fights before dying. Char & Amuro chatted a BIT too long to enter the badass category, but their deaths were huge mainly due to their pull. It's Char and Amuro. You cannot deny them.

And uh, pointless deaths were what made Gundam remotely realistic. Not everyone is going to die and be in heaven/hell going "hey, not a bad way to go" it's more like "aw crap, I wasted my life or got owned before I did anything significant". That's the point gundam tries to give across. That war takes away any chance for a lot of people to do with their lives. Whether it's cannon fodder, civilians, or characters, it's trying to show "WAR IS BAD, BUT WE MAKE GUNDAMS FIGHTING LOOK COOL, BUY OUR MODELS, BUT DONT INCITE VIOLENCE!" kinda deal. I always thought it was hypocritical, but it's not like I care for anything about gundam other then FREAKING ROBOTS FIGHTING EACH OTHER. Everything else is an afterthought.

And I mean it. How many of you would watch these series if they replaced every single mobile suit or mobile armor or whatever with hover trucks and balls? I sure as hell ain't. OOOO ITS KIRA YAMATO IN HIS SUPER SOAKER 9000 BUBBLE BOY, SAVE US FROM THE MASSES OF CARDBOARD BOXES.

Nvm, that would be bad ass.

If you want a series where not many people die, and generally only those who "deserve it" get owned, Gundam X would fit. And it's a decent series too, shallow but I thought the designs for that time were incredibly cool. Double X and Versigo was like, prototype Freedom and Destiny. Cept Versigo was crazy weird T_T though cool!

Last edited by MooMooFarm; 2007-11-05 at 18:35.
MooMooFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-07, 23:52   Link #56
The Blacknoah
Maniacal Dictator

Message from the Blacknoah:

Although I'm not a person that actually enjoy death scenes...

Stupid deaths: The Grunts being PWNED in Gundam Wing. They're all like: "IT'S A GUNDAAAAAAAAAAAAM!!!" and then *boom*

But the greatest of all will be from Char's counterattack. We salute thee, Amuro Ray...
The Blacknoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-08, 00:12   Link #57
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Well most of the death's in V Gundam give me that scissors in the stomach feeling, but if I have to pick one I gotta go with Treize Khushranada dying in Gundam Wing simply to prove a point of philosophical debate to Wu-Fei Chang..I will never forget how I felt inside when I saw that...The honor, the nobility, the arguable stupidity...It was too much to take...That day he became one of my alltime favorite anime characters...I mean this guy was beyond whatever triteness that ever existed when talking about the concept of fighting in Gundam...

Finally, an honorable mention would have to be Katz in Zeta Gundam...I nearly fell on my WTF sword when I saw that...But that's what was so great about Zeta, it's unforgiving, it's endless cold, it's war not being a game; living was the game, and Katz lost...
Old 2007-11-08, 00:21   Link #58
Critias

When Shinn Asuka died and became Darth Vad--oh you mean physical deaths. Ok.

Not gonna bother with spoiler tags.

In W, when Treize died, but not for the reasons everyone are saying so far. I found it memorable because he was the only important character to actually DIE. I was like WTF, he DIED? In Gundam WING? No one freaking dies in Gundam Wing! If your MS explodes with you in it, you live! But Treize DIES? WTF!!!!

In SEED, Nicol's death because blood filled his helmet.

IN SEED, Tolle getting his head popped off. Pretty graphic if you ask me.

IN GW: EW Dekim Barton buying it was memorable because he was killed by this random dude. Ok so he's built up to be this evil guy and you're expecting him to be offed somehow by the Gundam pilots of someone we give a shit about, but instead, some random nobody pops him one. That was awesome. Now me and some buddies say that if we ever make a movie, we're gonna build up this story, and then at the climax have the main bad guy off'ed by some random shmoe. You can almost hear the collective "WTF!!" from future audiences...

And in SEED: Destiny, Shinn Asuka dying and Darth V---oh yeah. Nvm.
Critias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-08, 01:37   Link #59
glyph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan the Man View Post
South Burning in 0083,
Poor South Burning. Killed by dramatic tension.
glyph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-08, 02:17   Link #60
Bocca
Banned

Heine......
Bocca is offline   Reply With Quote