AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-06-15, 12:11   Link #61
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamer_de
You honestly have to pay 7,5USD to watch 40mins of animated content? You can get into the cinema and 2h worth of entertainment for that price over here. No wonder they came up with those "Do not pirate our stuff over the internet" banners on BSi and other stations :P Yeah, I know the average income/cost of living in Japan is one of the highest in the world, but that pricing is just ridiculous (at least from my point of view). I guess you have to pay 30USD+ for being able to get the channel, too (at least that's how they market pay-channels over here, almost nobody is willing to pay per specific airing(they tried it, but I think it wasn't accepted too well))
Well, I don't know about your PPV channels, but here they have specific airings that can cost as high as $19.95USD (though it can go as low as $4). And of course you need to pay the cable fee too.
Old 2004-06-15, 12:54   Link #62
MidNteJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
Maybe he learned a trick or two from Onimusha 3
haha... i wonder anyone else get it? >_<

anyways... iono... i gave it a few points for good music...
cant wait to get my hands on their OST ^_^

other than that... its not "that" much of mecha... only the beginning showing the intro..
n that robo samurai is sad.... always seems to losing his parts.. (maybe a comic relief? )

i never saw the original movie... but i guess ill go to a video store n see if they have it...

Last edited by MidNteJ; 2004-06-15 at 14:31.
MidNteJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-15, 14:14   Link #63
Kiro
chocolate overdose

i can't say i love this series yet but so far, it was pretty impressive.

whoever said that the animation other than the cg's is crap should just shut up. the animation is so good that i'm more concerned, if they can keep that high level of animation up for all 26 episodes, because it freakin rocks. pehaps some people don't like the animation-STYLE (allthough i don't think, there is anything unusual with it) but the quality of the animation is very high.

i'm not a fan of mechas, but so far the scenes where they appeared were well done and looked cool. and while it may have been "unrealistic" at some parts, the action was still cool unlike that infamous first episode of madlax, where the action was bad because it was unrealistic AND not cool. i don't care that much about realism. if i would then i couldn't enjoy most series. ("midori no hibi" anyone?)

stop bashing this anime just from seeing the promo. at least give it the first two episodes, before you complain.
Kiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-15, 15:56   Link #64
Griffith

Just watched the first episode and I'm liking it already, and I can't say that about most first episodes. Going to check out the second very soon.
Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-15, 16:14   Link #65
wnkryo
HainShodan

Bah, I thought the first samurai that they met (the one who asked the other samurai if he could be his apprentence), would atleast be able to kick some ass. But it seems he is just a rookie

Last edited by wnkryo; 2004-06-15 at 16:40.
wnkryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-15, 17:16   Link #66
lamer_de

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiro
whoever said that the animation other than the cg's is crap should just shut up.
Sorry, but if I see animation like ep 01 @ 11:35 (the feet in the backgrounds float...) and I compare it to the opening with massive 3DCG which actually looks pretty good, I get the impression that they spend way too much on the 3D part. And the facial expressions/styles remind me a lot of that from Ragnarok, and that looks just ugly to me (although I admit that I only watched like 10mins of Ragnarok :P). Gonzo can do better than that in the 2D department (FMP, LE, KG just to name a few)

CU,
lamer_de
Old 2004-06-15, 19:00   Link #67
-|(aGe-BuNsHiN-
Vandread

Well after watching the 2nd episode I kind of think that the female was added on as a "damsle in distress" for the young samurai (name?).
Spoiler:
Well I guess I can't speculate too much from just two episodes but I really hope they concentrate on the young guy as I find that having too many protagonists in just a rather average length anime can turn out to be bad....
-|(aGe-BuNsHiN- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-15, 19:12   Link #68
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
And the facial expressions/styles remind me a lot of that from Ragnarok, and that looks just ugly to me (although I admit that I only watched like 10mins of Ragnarok :P). Gonzo can do better than that in the 2D department (FMP, LE, KG just to name a few)
So in another words you don't like the character designs... Well I think they are pretty interesting. The expressions that the characters make actually remind me of older anime where such features are exaggerated. Makes this a bit nostalgic actually. Which is good.

Which Ragnarok are you referring to BTW?
Old 2004-06-15, 21:33   Link #69
Kiro
chocolate overdose

Quote:
Sorry, but if I see animation like ep 01 @ 11:35 (the feet in the backgrounds float...) and I compare it to the opening with massive 3DCG which actually looks pretty good, I get the impression that they spend way too much on the 3D part. And the facial expressions/styles remind me a lot of that from Ragnarok, and that looks just ugly to me (although I admit that I only watched like 10mins of Ragnarok :P). Gonzo can do better than that in the 2D department (FMP, LE, KG just to name a few)

CU,
lamer_de
oh well, there was some strange animation at episode 1 at this or that time. you found a hair in the soup! good job spotting it! don't know if the german saying "ausnahmen bestätigen die regel" does exist in english. roughly translated it should mean something like "exceptions prove the rule." everything else looks really good, unless you don't like the way they draw the characters. but that doesn't have to do anything with how good or bad the animation is.

last exile was pretty neat too, allthough some of the CG's looked crappy at first but that didn't make it not worth watching it. and that's the same with many other animes out there. and compared to other shows, like naruto, where there are episodes, one wishes they would never had been aired because the animation was either nonexistent or one wouldn't recognize the protagonists, the animation of samurai 7 is just awesome. yes, we only saw two episodes yet, but that's why i said, that i'm wondering, if they can keep that level of animation up for 26 eps or not.

edit: and well, lets not forgot, we're talking about whether the animation is CRAPPY or not and NOT whether it is top notch or just good.

edit2: oh and i watched some eps of the ragnarok-series until i gave up on its crappyness. i don't see any significiant similarity between those two series. and imho the characters were not drawn ugly (except the main protagonist) but just boring.
Kiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-15, 23:14   Link #70
-|(aGe-BuNsHiN-
Vandread

Sorry for asking this but I am unfamiliar with how this is getting aired and am pretty confused. So if I am right, that means we will get 2 episodes per week but only twice a month?
-|(aGe-BuNsHiN- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-15, 23:18   Link #71
Merco
I like pie

Ah well, I am a small fan of Ragnarok... (the one hiding in the corner while others talk about how much it sucks)

Anyways, there will always be the type of people who will never be happy with anything. Reminds me of a story about a two kids, one in a room with a lot of toys and one in a room full of sh*t. (If anyone actually wants to hear the whole story, mention it and I'll include it in my next post :P )

Anyhow, I'm definitely a fan of this anime... and more then likely it'll be licensed before the series is finished broadcasting . I also used to watch Kaze no Yojimbo, but I wasn't able to finish it because of friggin licensing... It was quite good as a mellow type anime.

Anyhow, As I am writing this, the second episode finished downloading... Despite the mecha centric promo, the anime is quite good, and focuses on human to human conflicts (so far).

I told my friend it may be interesting, but he's completely put off by the futuristic setting. I hope I can convince him that this anime is decent
Merco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-15, 23:22   Link #72
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

I'm still perty undecided on this anime. The mechas are F'ing awesome!! The one samurai is kick*** and the one temple chick is drop dead gorgeous. The little kid is cute too. But I feel like this story is lacking something somewhere. Oh well, I'll give it the usual 4 episode probation period and if it doesn't get better by then I'll just can it. It's on a 50/50 footing right now, so I'm gonna wait till the next 2 episodes come out to give it a final rating.
Lord Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-16, 03:45   Link #73
Lazarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Za Paper
The animation isnt anything groundbreaking. It is the same Gonzo digimation that we've all seen before. This adaptation seems really bad actually. Why would robots want to steal rice? to eat?

Are they really just robots, or are they cyborgs or some other BIO-mechanical construct?

Lazarus
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-16, 03:52   Link #74
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

I assume that they are cyborgs. It says that they traded their human bodies for powerful mechanical bodies. I take that to mean that they have human brains (and perhaps a few organs) hooked up to a life-support system, somewhere inside of a metal war machine. The presence of some human organs would explain why they need rice. The biological parts of themselves have to eat.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-16, 05:59   Link #75
ZeppelinJ0
Disabled By Request

Plus who, man or machine, doesn't like to eat? :P
ZeppelinJ0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-16, 08:23   Link #76
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiro
oh well, there was some strange animation at episode 1 at this or that time. you found a hair in the soup! good job spotting it! don't know if the german saying "ausnahmen bestätigen die regel" does exist in english. roughly translated it should mean something like "exceptions prove the rule."
Heh Kiro, there's a Chinese proverb "吹毛求疵" (Chui1 Mao3 Qiu2 Ci4) literally "Blowing Fur/Fleece Hoping for a Bare Spot" meaning "to deliberately find fault". I heard an English proverb that comes close to this meaning is "finding the mote in your brother's eye".

Quote:
Sorry, but if I see animation like ep 01 @ 11:35 (the feet in the backgrounds float...) and I compare it to the opening with massive 3DCG which actually looks pretty good, I get the impression that they spend way too much on the 3D part.
Sorry but if you take notice of the nature and its surrounding as well as paying attention to how things look from different angles, you will notice that in that scene,

1) it is noon-time with the sun shining at the top slightly behind their heads. The shadows in that scene and the ray of light in the big wide scene before the close up indicate this. Thus their shadows are not going to be big blotches dragging along with them.

2) You are looking from top down, above and in front of Kirara's head with the center line at Rikichi's feet. At that angle, you would not be able to see what is below Rikichi's feet or behind them. If his feet are floating, his toes would always be behind his toe shadow and never connect with it.

This reminds me of FMA's 1st episode where there are people who keep insisting that Ed's left arm was gone then suddenly return, despite the fact that it was a matter of perspective (i.e. where the camera is looking at relative to the object).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Za Paper
Why would robots want to steal rice? to eat?
One could also ask why in the original movie, the bandits needed to steal rice, if you want to put it that way. Don't robots have living masters too?

In the post-war times, survival is more important than the currency system humans have implemented. Food is greater in value than pieces of paper or cosmetic metal. When your homeland is devastated and food is scarce, see how much a pound of rice or wheat would cost. Be amazed that someone would dare to ask you for your $1000 silk pyjamas just to trade for his can of peaches.

The rice is in the hands of the farmers. They could potentially be the controllers of the humanity's new destiny but guess what. The weapons of destruction are in the hands of those who fought in the war that just ended. If these guys dunno how to grow food but only know about their weapons of war, guess what they are going to do to get their munchies...

The only illogical pieces I've seen so far in the series is the super duper action sequences but that is to be expected in any action film/anime these days.
Yebyosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-16, 11:37   Link #77
Sanjuronord
セクシーなパイロット

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yebyosh
Heh The weapons of destruction are in the hands of those who fought in the war that just ended. If these guys dunno how to grow food but only know about their weapons of war, guess what they are going to do to get their munchies...
Reminds me of my dad's old Y2K plans/joke...

Besides who cares if the animation isn't groundbreaking or the best animation in years? At worst, it's decent and that's just fine by me since I'm watching this for the story and characters. Complaining about subpar animation(a recent case of that would be something like that Naruto/Kiba fight ep of Naruto) is one thing but complaining that animation isn't the best is totally off the chart for spoiled thinking. Those who actually paid to watch can make an argument that they felt robbed, but for those of us "blessed" to watch it for free we have no right to complain.

Looks like Lunar Anime just released a sub, will have to check theirs out later since I loved their fansub of Onegai Twins.
Sanjuronord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-16, 12:15   Link #78
a7m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_R
There's nothing wrong with a decent adaptation. I don't understand what all the fuss is about really. John Sturges puts cowboys in the samurai roles and gives his version of Kurosawa's 'Shichinin no Samurai' a Western (as in movie genre) flavour.
There is a big difference between a western remake of Seven Samurai and one set in the future with ridiculously huge mecha. First of all Kurosawa was considered a very 'western' director by Japanese standards, and was also very influenced by spaghetti westerns. So it was very fitting for his film to be made into a western.
a7m4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-16, 12:31   Link #79
Cagalli
One night in Arabia

I have a feeling the personalities are going to be different from those Kurosawa came up with. The character's appearance kind of give me this impression on top of what I have so far seen. The mechs don't bother me as much, hopefully the plan was retelling the same story in a different time. The things Kurosawa wrote about can happen at any day and age, afterall. Does anyone know if Samurai 7 20xx (the PS2 game) is in anyway related to the anime? The game also had mechs from the last article I read on it. I hope the anime will bring more attention to kurosawa's work. The man was a genius and I hope mroe of his films find their way to other countries.
Cagalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-16, 22:47   Link #80
Melty Snow
<3 WoW undead girls

Good series so far, very solid. Too bad its nearly a month for the next 2 eps.
I really like episode 2 fight scene for some reason. I guess it was because the green haired samurai and mech samurai weren't super powerful and kinda got beat . Like the mech samurai gettin ghis arm knocked off, and 3 guys just run past him. Makes you wonder how theyre gonna take on giant mechanized bandits. Nice to see that theyre not one man armies, well maybe Kembai is one though. He's the one that cut the fortress in half in the beginning of ep 1 right?
Melty Snow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, historical