AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-03-19, 00:36   Link #1
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Shinigami no Ballad Light Novel

Thread for the Shinigami no Ballad light novel, for discussion on it if anyone wants.

Spoiler for Light Novel covers:

Also:

Spoiler for Visual Book:

There are 12 volumes out in Japanese and 1 Volume to come out in March in English (Seven Seas).

I don't have the first English volume yet, but I plan to buy all of the JP volumes next time I decide to shop... and use up all my money (*sob*)...

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)

Last edited by serenade_beta; 2009-05-15 at 02:54.
Old 2008-03-19, 02:21   Link #2
Matt122005

So, I just picked up the english translated version of "Ballad of a Shinigami" by SEVEN SEAS.

The artwork is so awesome, I can't wait to read it.

I found the size a bit different from the usual TokyoPop light novel sized books, but with some adjusting and more titles I'll be loving it.

I can't wait for more books to come out. Only thing that is saddening is that on average, only 3 books will come out per year. I'd like it more if it was 4, but then again, maybe it will if it gets popular.

Anybody else get the english book by Seven Seas? I had pre-ordered it.

-Matt
Old 2008-03-19, 15:15   Link #3
yongshun

I have been trying to figure out why is it so small.
Old 2008-03-19, 19:46   Link #4
Matt122005

1. So that it can fit in your pocket.

2. Because thats how all light novels are sized in Japan

3. So that it can be thick

4. So that it can look and feel like a nice quick read

and 5. Because they can. <most important reason. lol

-Matt
Old 2008-03-19, 20:04   Link #5
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt122005 View Post
1. So that it can fit in your pocket.

2. Because thats how all light novels are sized in Japan

3. So that it can be thick

-Matt
1. Best reason ever. Lot easier to carry around with, compared to big thick books like Harry Potter and whatnot.

2. That's how most are. There are a number of books that are bigger than that.

3. Not really, since I've seen books with similar number of pages, but one could be twice as thick as the other. Plus overall, they usually are not that thick at all.

-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2008-03-19, 22:31   Link #6
yongshun

Cool, so Seven Seas is keeping it in the sprit of the original Japanese format through and through.
Old 2008-03-19, 22:49   Link #7
Matt122005

Yep, and their translations are superb.

-Matt
Old 2008-03-19, 22:53   Link #8
yongshun

I might have to pick it up, when I get the chance.
Old 2008-03-19, 23:13   Link #9
Sterling01
霊夢→デレ

I have the first four in Japanese but haven't gotten a chance to really sit down and read them, though I havn't been able to find the Seven Seas version anywhere
Old 2008-03-19, 23:58   Link #10
yongshun

I dont know how it is now but Seven Seas used to have an excuive relase with Walden Books/Borders first and like a month or two later the rest of the stores.
Old 2008-03-20, 00:08   Link #11
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Yep, and their translations are superb.

-Matt
Yet, if there is one thing to complain about, it's their horrible habit of changing their release date. This novel was supposed to come out LAST year, you know...
And a lot of their others suffer the same fate, like Neconoclasm and Dance in the Vampire Bund...

Last edited by serenade_beta; 2008-03-20 at 00:22. Reason: title name correction
Old 2008-03-20, 00:14   Link #12
yongshun

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Yet, if there is one thing to complain about, it's their horrible habit of changing their release date. This novel was supposed to come out LAST year, you know...
And a lot of their others suffer the same fate, like Necoclasm and Dance in the Vampire Bund...
I like think it is because the company is pretty new and rather small. For the reasons that they are always delying the novels
Old 2008-03-20, 01:26   Link #13
Matt122005

Um, ACTUALLY, they aren't ALWAYS delaying novels. They pushed back the starting release of their light novels till March 2008. Now all light novels should come out on their respective dates.

-Matt
Old 2008-03-20, 01:43   Link #14
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Um, ACTUALLY, they aren't ALWAYS delaying novels. They pushed back the starting release of their light novels till March 2008. Now all light novels should come out on their respective dates.

-Matt
Didn't say always. Of course, everything has to settle in the end (thankfully), but you can't deny that they have pushed back the release date of several of their novels/manga... and some pushed back more than once.
Ballad of a Shinigami is just one of the victims of Seven Sea's delaying that finally managed to be released.
Look at Gun Princess... Yet again, the date changes... Back to TBA...

Let's hope it doesn't change again...

Old 2008-03-20, 04:33   Link #15
Matt122005

True, but in reality I believe that Gun Princess, Kanokon, and Next Door Ninja are all coming out in 2009

To be precise, I am expecting Gun Princess and Kanokon to premier March 2009 to take the places of Strawberry Panic! and Pita-Ten. Next Door Ninja might take a new month for its own.

-Matt
Old 2008-04-01, 00:39   Link #16
MercFH
I can't win this one
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to MercFH
Yeah I just pre-ordered mine since NOWHERE has the books at all.
have to wait so long sadly for the rest of them.

just curious to those who have read. How many illustrations are total in the first volume (i like pictures ehehe)
Old 2008-04-05, 15:16   Link #17
Ketchup11
~Mikuness

I saw the first volume at the bookstore. I didn't have money on me, so I couldn't get it. I got a quick glance at it. It's truly amazing!
Old 2008-07-16, 04:25   Link #18
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Haa, finally got around to reading the first volume. I have the English version on my bookshelf, but it can't beat the original, so I read the JP version...

But first, I did look at the English version. The only complaint I had (at first look) about the translations is the last chapter. The translations had the title as "Watching the Sky" (or was it "Watch the Sky"?), but it should be something like "That day, the girl who watched the sky/looked at the sky"... I don't really care, but I'd prefer if they translated more correctly~

Since I can't really remember the English titles correctly right now, I'll just refer to the stories by their number...
--

It was a great volume, as expected.
-Emotional
-Art was nice
-Volume split into separate stories, meaning busy people can read a chapter at a time and it's OK. Also, it means you don't have to read in order.
-Easy to read (though sometimes, the story gets boring...)
Also, the novel sometimes would get poetic. It was fun to read, yes. Quite unique there.

I think my favorite was the third one. To be honest, all four stories were very good, so I find it hard to choose, but the third one left me feeling the best (for obvious reasons).
The first two left me teary, the third one left me satisfied, and the fourth one left me "orz". (Though this is the second time I have seen the first two stories, so the impact was lessened. First time I heard the first story, I was completely )

Spoiler for thoughts with story content:

Now then, after reading another volume of another series (I don't think Shinigami no Ballad works too well when you read too much of it at once), onwards to volume 2. Two stories I already know (Snow Rebirth and Sakana no Koro, episode 2 of the anime), and a certain new character appears.

I believe the second English volume is coming out at the end of this month too?

Old 2008-07-18, 15:48   Link #19
Matt122005

It's already out, I ordered it, so I just have to pick it up at the bookstore.

I absolutly loved the first volume, although, I was very dissapointed to see a copy of the second. Why? Its like half the size of the first.

I mean, ok, I understand, the guy is new at writing novels, so the second was obviously at a higher risk of being shorter. Although, that usually means the third will be more like the first again.

Can't wait to read it.

-Matt
Old 2008-07-25, 14:10   Link #20
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
I absolutly loved the first volume, although, I was very dissapointed to see a copy of the second. Why? Its like half the size of the first.

I mean, ok, I understand, the guy is new at writing novels, so the second was obviously at a higher risk of being shorter. Although, that usually means the third will be more like the first again.

-Matt
Actually, throughout the volumes, the numbers are very... variable...
Just from the JP volumes:
1. 313 pg
2. 263 pg
3. 265 pg
4. 271 pg
5. 325 pg
6. 227 pg
7. 287 pg
8. 311 pg
9. 191 pg <--...
10. 281 pg
11. 363 pg <--
--

Spoiler for volume 2 thoughts:

Last edited by serenade_beta; 2008-07-25 at 15:40.
Closed Thread

Tags
light novels, shounen