Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2011-06-13, 13:38   Link #1321
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetra Vaal View Post
Well, I went back and edited my post to be more clear. But the comparison between Doraemon and Gundam seems a bit weird, doesn't it?
Not really. Feeling is the same, nostalgia.

Besides, Doraemon has this, too, for a semi-Gundam parody

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-13, 13:38   Link #1322
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaito-kid View Post
And as for the new Gundam show, I think Bandai finally has a Gundam with the potential to be a hit in the west and on an international level. Just a bit of clever marketing and I can see how this can work.
I agree with this. This series has the most potential to break through the foreign market and actually make the franchise finally get popular outside of it's home region.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman View Post
At least we can be assured that this will be one of the best Gundam games ever made, lol. Level 5 makes some good games after all. Plus it'll probably have the same writer and character designer as the show itself... Definitely a must-play!
Well, that certainly a major selling point. The fact that there is a major game developer attached to the project means that this might just be the first Gundam series to actually have some really good games attached to it.

Regardless of the stories of course.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningZERO View Post
I have a lot of catching up to do, but wow, people were right. AGE is a Ebikawa design!
Holy crap, I was right!?

Well then as any self respecting mecha fan who accidentally made the right guess, I will shamelessly gloat about it until I end up making a fool of myself!

Obviously!

But before that can I just say I'm kind of ... disappointed? I mean after all the unique designs in 00 which had some of my absolute favorite designs in any mecha series, I didn't really expect something this bland for the new Gundam. I mean after seeing in motion it looks better, but other than that ...

Well, at least the other two forms work as really nice homages to past MS, and really glad that Ebikawa is back again (no surprise though since the man's designs had been selling like hot cakes, to the point where they are simply getting re-release after re-release with all those sorts of variants)

Shame I wont get any of the kits though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAGUN H.E.X. View Post
why do i think this series will be like ZZ Gundam? lighter tone at the begining then gets getting darker & more mature later on?
Um, well I don't know about mature, but ZZ's tone did get slightly darker as it went on, but here though. It looks like they will have it as a serious show from the get go, going by the AGE trailer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaito-kid View Post
probably a OVA or a movie.. maybe that SEED movie..?
Dude, the SEED movie is nothing but a myth, just a story parents their children to scare them to sleep. Not real man.

It's most likely going to be a manga or at best OVA. I mean, Unicorn, AGE, SD and then another show? Way overkill.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuku View Post
Don't know if this was mentioned here but it's confirmed to be a year long broadcast (50 episodes).
Stranded Gundam length then. Looks like this will be the new face of the franchise for the next few years after all.
Quote:
Agreed. It looks like they made a Gundam series aimed at the same demographic for those who watch Naruto or The Last Airbender (not saying that's a bad thing, especially for fans of those shows), but even the trailer looked redundant and boring.
Welp, since The Last Airbender was among the best cartoon, if not among TV series in general, in the last decade, this means that this show has every bit the chance at being just as awesome.

Honestly guys, the show being made for a younger audience doesn't immediately translate to it being boring. Children shows are actually filled with some excellent gems as well.

Give it a chance
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicSP View Post
You know, now that I had a look at all of them, doesnt Asem look like a combination of Frite and Emily? He looks like his face is much much closer to Frite, but the hair color is very close to Emily's. Skin tone color also seems to be somewhere between the two.

I mean, at the moment she's just his seven year friend and all but maybe somewhere down the road? These things do tend to happen, especially in stories. Of course, the mother could eventually be some random blond but at the early set of cast list we have now she does seem to be the best candidate at the moment from the small cast we have. Not saying we should treat her as Asem's mother as a fact or anything, but just observations of the possibility.
I honestly think tis more likely that the childhood friend -> future wife is the most logical explanation. Besides, the hair is a pretty big indicator.

I personally prefer knowing the mother as an established character rather than a random blond the man ran into off screen. Would also make a better romance IMO
Old 2011-06-13, 13:43   Link #1323
Tetra Vaal
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Not really. Feeling is the same, nostalgia.

Besides, Doraemon has this, too, for a semi-Gundam parody

- Tak
I don't know. To me, even before leading up to this series announcement, even the worst Gundam series seemed to have been aimed at adults. That's just my personal opinion on the matter. But like I said, if that floats your boat, I hope you enjoy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
Honestly guys, the show being made for a younger audience doesn't immediately translate to it being boring. Children shows are actually filled with some excellent gems as well.
I'll just say to each his own. I'm not all that upset about it, I just think it's funny that apologists are allowed to say "keep an open-mind", while people like myself can't make claims that this show will suck.
Tetra Vaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-13, 13:47   Link #1324
Tak

Quote:
I'll just say to each his own. I'm not all that upset about it, I just think it's funny that apologists are allowed to say "keep an open-mind", while people like myself can't make claims that this show will suck.
Well then sir, my best advice to you is... don't watch it.

That is all i can tell you. I suppose you can tell us how much the show will suck, but its not adding to anything. Like you, I am fairly skeptical, but I am curious.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2011-06-13, 13:51   Link #1325
Tetra Vaal
Banned

Quote:
Well then sir, my best advice to you is... don't watch it.

That is all i can tell you. I suppose you can tell us how much the show will suck, but its not adding to anything. Like you, I am fairly skeptical, but I am curious.

- Tak
Curiosity to see if I'm right or going to eat crow will propel me to watch at least the first handful of episodes. I may go into certain things with preconceived ideas, but if I feel like I'm wrong, I'll call myself out on it.
Old 2011-06-13, 13:53   Link #1326
Tak

Quote:
Curiosity to see if I'm right or going to eat crow will propel me to watch at least the first handful of episodes. I may go into certain things with preconceived ideas, but if I feel like I'm wrong, I'll call myself out on it.
There is however, one thing I somewhat agree with you about this new show...

Based on initial impressions, I will more than likely not be buying any kits from it.

- Tak

Old 2011-06-13, 13:55   Link #1327
Nayim

Quote:
What if I don't care if this is a kid's series? What if I watch it for the pure nostalgic value?

I still watch Doraemon from time to time, and it can still put a smile on my face.

- Tak
LOL i watch Doraemon too XD. I might getting older here but hey, i watch old school Gundam series and it didn't bother me to watch it.
Old 2011-06-13, 13:56   Link #1328
Tetra Vaal
Banned

Quote:
There is however, one thing I somewhat agree with you about this new show...

Based on initial impressions, I will more than likely not be buying any kits from it.

- Tak
Right.

I'm a big time mecha fan and even a terrible show can at least make me see it through if the designs are to my liking, but good God, the designs for Age look disgustingly awful. It kinda sucks, 'cause all three designs are pretty bad.
Old 2011-06-13, 13:59   Link #1329
RDF2050
Superidol

I am looking forward to what this gundam series have to offer.
Old 2011-06-13, 14:04   Link #1330
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDF2050 View Post
I am looking forward to what this gundam series have to offer.
I am fairly concerned about one thing though. Its got 3 protagonist to wade through possibly 50 episodes? I can only wonder how they will be able to devote equal attention to all 3. Waiting to see how they handle this situation.

- Tak

Old 2011-06-13, 14:07   Link #1331
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
I am fairly concerned about one thing though. Its got 3 protagonist to wade through possibly 50 episodes? I can only wonder how they will be able to devote equal attention to all 3. Waiting to see how they handle this situation.

- Tak
Waiting to see when it comes to anime is almost always good policy. I'd be lying if I said I didn't share a similar concern, but somehow I think they've already got it covered.

Yeah that's right folks, I dare to be optimistic about something while looking forward and in a Gundam thread no less.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-13, 14:18   Link #1332
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helius View Post
Oh my, I didn't know we're back in 2003. Animation-wise this is definitely a step down from 00. I had hoped that at least the story would make up for what would likely be a train wreck on all fronts and the premise of events spanning several generations had me intrigued. After seeing the PV, I just hope that they won't do something like that ever again in the future, if they haven't killed off the franchise already.
This post should be the staple mark for over reacting and massive butthurt. AGE is leagues above 2003 animation and is on par with any other modern work. Just because it has a different style than 00 does not make it a step down, especially since any Gundam is given a sizable budget. Also, how about you wait until the fandom is completely destroyed from this and all of the toys are taken off store shelves and Gundam stops being Japan's national icon before you say this has killed the franchise.
Old 2011-06-13, 14:18   Link #1333
saurers123

I like the concept of Super Robots, reminds me a lot of old mecha anime though the gundam designs doesn't look really good. It looks like they're recycling RX-78-2 again. The character designs also looks like they were from Sonic or Rockman.
saurers123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-13, 14:22   Link #1334
james0246

I am eagerly awaiting the new Gundam series (I always do). The preview looks fun, the designs are kitschy and nostalgic, and the story (from what I've seen) looks like it has potential.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-13, 14:23   Link #1335
Tetra Vaal
Banned

Quote:
This post should be the staple mark for over reacting and massive butthurt. AGE is leagues above 2003 animation and is on par with any other modern work. Just because it has a different style than 00 does not make it a step down, especially since any Gundam is given a sizable budget. Also, how about you wait until the fandom is completely destroyed from this and all of the toys are taken off store shelves and Gundam stops being Japan's national icon before you say this has killed the franchise.
Yeah. Saying this series will kill Gundam or whatever IS a stretch. Gundam will continue to live on regardless of the success or lack of success this series will have. In terms of the animation, he has a bit of a point, though... it seems stiff compared to how fluid 00 was. And he raises a valid point by comparing it to 2003, seeing as how the first Age Gundam strikes that ridiculous pose in space when it catches the rifle and that is definitely SEED-esque. But keep in mind, even though this series is being produced by Sunrise, they're not the company animating it.
Old 2011-06-13, 14:24   Link #1336
Helius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
What are you even talking about?
What am I talking about? This is the Gundam AGE thread isn't it?
Helius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-13, 15:24   Link #1337
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Quote:
So there's going to be another new project?

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/inte...ounced-june-25

Hopefully this will be the Gundam we're all used to...
I doubt it'll be another series. With AGE and Unicorn being the dominate Gundam entities, I don't think Sunrise will want a case of "too much product" on their hands.
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-13, 15:27   Link #1338
Tetra Vaal
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GN0010 Nosferatu View Post
I doubt it'll be another series. With AGE and Unicorn being the dominate Gundam entities, I don't think Sunrise will want a case of "too much product" on their hands.
Right.

I think the fact that Sunrise isn't animating Age may give some people belief that it could be a new series, maybe a movie, who knows? All we can do is wait and see.
Old 2011-06-13, 15:30   Link #1339
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Perhaps it'll be related to Gundam EXA, animated series with all former Gundam universe meeting up? I'd very much love to see that. But that's a convo for another time.

Been thinking more about AGE, and I gotta say...I think I'm damn near a fan of it already...I'm so eager to see more.
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-13, 15:35   Link #1340
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
I just realized that the wait between the announcement for the new Gundam series and when it airs will be exactly as long as the wait for more Hockey should tonight be the last night for the playoffs. My two favourite things ever both starting up in one month.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote