AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2004-05-21, 02:38   Link #1
Bullsquat
Strange Love

Natsuiro no Sunadokei

Another anime title stemming from a game. After just recently watched Frequency on the USA channel I can't help but become totally intrigued by this title. Although the premise of going back to the past to change the future is not exactly original, this is the first time as far as I can remember that it has been applied to an anime series.

I think this show has the potential to be very engrossing. I'm off to d/l now
Bullsquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-21, 02:49   Link #2
Tommy
Mr. Prince

Description and screens plz.
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-21, 03:02   Link #3
Greenish Growth

Wow that was fast.

Too bad the Hirameki English game is not out. I suppose if you want to play the game in the future and don't want spoilers you shouldn't watch the anime. Hirameki's website says that the game will be out in "Summer 2004" (if the date is not delayed further of course).

Yeah I like time travel stories. I'm not sure how good this story will be, but I do like these types of stories.
Greenish Growth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-21, 03:46   Link #4
Kensuke

I'm downloading it now, and I don't know anything about this OAV, but after checking this character page in the official page I immediately decided to dl this.

If I interpreted the kanji correctly Inoue Kikuko is Yanagihara Tomomi's seiyuu and Orikasa Fumiko is Ligene's seiyuu, those are my two favorite seiyuus so this OAV is must for me.
Kensuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-21, 04:22   Link #5
suguru
京都 ikitai~

I thought it was a good first episode, just finished watching it--does anyone know how many episodes it will be overall? The bad thing about OVAs is it'll probably be a couple months until the next one's out. I had never heard of this before, but a thousand people are downloading it, so maybe I'm just not well informed

The character designs reminded me a lot of Da Capo, and as you'd expect in a renai-to-anime, all the girls are kawaii. I like the male lead too, he has a lot more character and guts than your average weak harem anime leads do. It's worth checking out, nothing spectacular, but not a bad way to spend 30 minutes.

Spoiler:
suguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-21, 04:29   Link #6
Spooky-Electric

Is it just me or do the character designs from those types of games all look the same?
Spooky-Electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-21, 06:48   Link #7
wao
OK.

If I'm not wrong, Serizawa Kaho is done by Mizuki Nana, who did Kraehe in Princess Tutu, Kururu in Bottle Fairy, Hinata in Naruto, Nana in Shichinin no Nana, Minazuki in Happy Lesson, Wrath in Full Metal Alchemist, and even Taeko in Paraonia Agent. Oh, and this person called Yufa in Ragnarok The Animation. ...

Edit: Putting in my sterotypical nature, I probably will avoid this show because I generally don't like renai games. Pfft... what love? I don't call it love. I hate them, because they seem so fake and so trite to me... The characters appear so stereotypical inside and outside to me from what I've heard and watched of such anime (I'm being very biased and unfair here, yes...). Unless someone can really convince me to watch this
Old 2004-05-21, 09:51   Link #8
jennwenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky-Electric
Is it just me or do the character designs from those types of games all look the same?
Its not just you. They all look the same to me. Ugly.

I can't stand these types of shows either. Pass.
jennwenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-21, 10:19   Link #9
Yamano667
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Yamano667
I do agree that anime series based on games are bad but, its good to download
at least the first episode and see O_o and then DECIDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennwenn
Its not just you. They all look the same to me. Ugly.

I can't stand these types of shows either. Pass.
Yamano667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-21, 22:13   Link #10
Pitar
Anime is a way of life?

Send a message via AIM to Pitar
DEJA VU.....
I'm not sure what game this is based on, well because it is quite hard to get a hold of Japanese games especially in Russia, but about 10 years ago there was a great QQ American series with Scott Bakula named Quantum Leap... Deja vu. This really looks similar on what the series might look like.
Spoiler:
Pitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-21, 23:43   Link #11
jennwenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamano667
I do agree that anime series based on games are bad but, its good to download
at least the first episode and see O_o and then DECIDE
Yeah, its harsh. I'm just harsh on these type of anime because I rarely like them. Reading the description on the website, looking at the pictures, and judging from the past history of game to anime conversions, it was enough to convince me I'd just waste my limited viewing time.

Unless someone posts in this thread about how it surprised them or had an interseting twist they'd never seen before, I'm pretty sure this will suck.

No offense to the fansubbers who put effort into it though. Its just not my thing.
Old 2004-05-21, 23:54   Link #12
ZeppelinJ0
Disabled By Request

I didn't like it too much :\ The storyline just from the beginning is so forced I mean:

Spoiler:
ZeppelinJ0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-22, 01:03   Link #13
GUTB_

I didn't even know about the game, and I knew instantly this was a game adaption.

At this point I'd complain about the tired re-hashing of the same stuff over and over and over. But I think I've been looking at these series all wrong to begin with, and now I think I finally "get" them. The game adaption is honestly just a reflection of the game itself. The game isn't about the story -- that's just a gimmick. Good dialouge, fascinating plot developments, witty screenplay, masterful direction, etc, all icing. Flavour. The little edge it has over the competition. But what's at the heart of the bishoujo game?

The girls. Everything exists to present the player with a selection of babes. It's like a dog show; they trot out the various different breeds and types of girls, run them through a variety of exersizes and puts them up for display. The judges are offered up a sampling of each of the major girl categories -- each coded by their hair color, personality type, season, and often an animal. These girls are put through their paces, and the viewer picks the one he likes the most and brands her the winner.

Well I've already decided who gets the blue ribbon for Natsuiro -- Kawamura Mana. Hot. So hot. Damnit. I guess this means I have to get the game now.
GUTB_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-22, 01:16   Link #14
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Every time someone starts picking on these game-based shows I ask the same question: where else are the romance stories going to come from? Nobody wants to tell this kind of story in manga anymore.

If this story sticks to the problem it already set up for itself it will have something different to offer from most series of this kind. It's already set up some kind of resolution as far as the romance; it would be hard for this show to have a vague ending.

I am not surprised that some people don't care for these romance stories, but I question the intent behind weighing in on them without even seeing them.
babbito2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-22, 01:18   Link #15
wao
OK.

Yeah, I already said I was being biased in not watching the show and making an assumption... But I'm too lazy to waste my time to download it and watch it; and based on lots and lots of factors (including everybody else's comments) as well as what I've experienced, .... I'll give this a pass too.

And if I trust GUTB_'s description of bishoujo games, then frankly I'd give ALL of them a pass... Compartmentalizing girls like that does not reflect well on the originality of their characters. I'm pretty sure not all games make the characters so fixed...
Old 2004-05-22, 03:57   Link #16
Secca
nya`
*Artist

It's kinda remind me of Kanon.

Edit: that sounds kinda biased, because I only saw 1 episode. ^^

Who knows. I definitely didn't expect Kimi Nozo turned out to be good either from seeing the first episode.

Last edited by Secca; 2004-05-22 at 04:18.
Secca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-22, 13:33   Link #17
jennwenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by babbito2k
Every time someone starts picking on these game-based shows I ask the same question: where else are the romance stories going to come from? Nobody wants to tell this kind of story in manga anymore.

If this story sticks to the problem it already set up for itself it will have something different to offer from most series of this kind. It's already set up some kind of resolution as far as the romance; it would be hard for this show to have a vague ending.

I am not surprised that some people don't care for these romance stories, but I question the intent behind weighing in on them without even seeing them.
Its not so much the fact that it came from a game that bothers me. Gungrave, Sakura Wars, Gunparade March also came from games and I don't mind them. (They're average series.) Its the structure of the romance that I don't care for. Guy has choice of girls, guy is indecisive, girls will do anything for guy. It goes against how I think real women act and what makes a relationship interesting.

I know this type is very popular, otherwise there wouldn't make so many. People are welcome to like it, release it, fansub it. I just can't stand the genre so I avoid it, unless I hear about a gem, which I'll give a chance to. Tsukihime, for example, sounds like it breaks the mold a little, so I'm going to give that one a chance when I get some viewing time.

Yes, it is totally unfair of me to say this anime sucks without watching it. But I still think that it is about 90% likely that to my tastes, it does. I'm only harsh like this on this genre.

I don't like formula unless it is well executed (rarely is). Romance is a hard genre to break from formula, even in "chick flick" movies and other anime, which is why it tends to disappoint me. Too bad no one is writing the next Maison Ikkoku. Or maybe someone is...
Old 2004-05-22, 15:21   Link #18
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

I'm gonna throw my hat in here and really, really say that word needs to get out about this anime. It's listed as romance only, but good grief, the sci-fi element built into this whole show just about gave me a huge....well, geek-rush just watching it. The romance is there, but not so extreme that it rots your brain or tears your heart out either. It's such a nice mix of things, and when she started talking Tachyon particles and all that, I was hooked, glued, nailed, screwed, welded, and otherwise perminently affixed to this anime!!

I'm so gonna get my family to watch this too. It's gonna be good. I can tell that already. So long as they don't screw this up, I think this one is gonna make my top 10 list.
Lord Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-23, 08:04   Link #19
Kensuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitar
DEJA VU.....
I'm not sure what game this is based on, well because it is quite hard to get a hold of Japanese games especially in Russia, but about 10 years ago there was a great QQ American series with Scott Bakula named Quantum Leap... Deja vu. This really looks similar on what the series might look like.
Spoiler:
Heh, I remember Quantum Leap also (yes it aired in Finland early 90's if I remember correctly) and in fact I remembered it when watching this, there is just so many similarities, but of course those could be just coincidence.

But in any case I liked it, I have soft spot to these kind of sweet romances... girls, especially Kaho, are so cute...
Kensuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-23, 15:02   Link #20
suguru
京都 ikitai~

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennwenn
Its not so much the fact that it came from a game that bothers me. Gungrave, Sakura Wars, Gunparade March also came from games and I don't mind them. (They're average series.) Its the structure of the romance that I don't care for. Guy has choice of girls, guy is indecisive, girls will do anything for guy. It goes against how I think real women act and what makes a relationship interesting.
I think what you said is true for some game-based anime, but there are more than a few that break that mold--in Natsuiro there isn't any Tenchi-like indecisiveness, from the first couple minutes you know exactly who the male lead wants to be with and from there out the story is more about him protecting her. Comic Party is another renai-to-anime that doesn't have girls fall all over the main guy, aside from Mizuki they're more there as supporting characters than as competing love interests. In Sentimental Journey the "player" only shows up in flashbacks, and it's 12 separate stories about the girls in the game and their lives. The stereotypical "girls used to hate me, but now I live in a mansion with 12 gorgeous girls throwing themselves at me, too bad I was born without a backbone and can't make decisions" game-to-series is something that's less common now, I think, because it really makes a monumentally boring story.

It is true some anime girls (not just in renai-to-anime) are demure to the point of lacking a personality, the "girls who will do anything for guy" variety (Shinobu in Love Hina, Aoi in Ai Yori Aoshi, to a large extent Midori in Midori no Hibi, and too many to mention without annoying me recalling how worthless they all are) but they're not ALL like that. I think the girls with more character/backbone/interests outside practically stalking their chosen guy tend to have more fans, so stronger characters will become more common (I hope).

The relationships in shoujo anime (like the protagonists in Daa!Daa!Daa! or Hime-chan's Ribbon) tend to be more well developed than game-to-anime, but they're also generally much longer series that have more time to build the relationships between characters. Natsuiro's no Maison Ikkoku or even KOR either, that's for sure. But I think babbito2k is right, there just aren't many good romance-oriented anime coming out that aren't game-to-anime, so as a fan of the genre I'll keep watching the better ones.
suguru is offline   Reply With Quote