AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Durarara!!

Notices

Old 2009-12-28, 21:32   Link #81
DeadlySoldier37
The players president

Man I am really looking forward to watching Dhurara. I personally loved Baccano, i think it's a masterpiece from characters, story telling, animation and even the OST was amazing.

So I have really high hopes for Dhurara and from the sounds of it, seems like it won't disapoint.
DeadlySoldier37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-29, 04:33   Link #82
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

I hope not to many people will be comparing this to Baccano, i mean that's when people's standards are set very high, and then disappointed when the show is nothing like what they originally wanted.
Old 2009-12-29, 17:47   Link #83
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

http://www.mania.com/chubra-durarara...le_119684.html

Crunchyroll.
Old 2009-12-29, 19:03   Link #84
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Just saw that on ANN and awesome, although a lot of distributers are more hesitant to license titles that are already streaming online. But I'm jumping the gun thinking about that though, wonder how many shows CR will pick up this time?
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-29, 19:15   Link #85
TJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering-dreamer View Post
Just saw that on ANN and awesome, although a lot of distributers are more hesitant to license titles that are already streaming online. But I'm jumping the gun thinking about that though, wonder how many shows CR will pick up this time?
As I understand it, it's the other way around. Crunchyroll and the licensors tend to stream shows that are unlikely to be released on DVD (this doesn't mean the shows are bad - just that distributors doubt they have much commercial potential in their respective territories). Currently, the market is so weak that distributors are more careful about what they license.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-29, 22:30   Link #86
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR View Post
As I understand it, it's the other way around. Crunchyroll and the licensors tend to stream shows that are unlikely to be released on DVD (this doesn't mean the shows are bad - just that distributors doubt they have much commercial potential in their respective territories). Currently, the market is so weak that distributors are more careful about what they license.
I remember hearing recently (and I can't remember if it was Funimations online panel or the ANN podcast that interviewed the head of RightStuf/Nozomi, both a few weeks back) and one of them said that there is less incentive for companies to license shows that are already online since, well, all the episodes are there so why would people want to buy the DVDs? This means the companies really have to make sure they have extras or other features on the DVDs that aren't available online. Plus, CR has a number of shows that are licensed (like Last Exile and Gankutsuou) on the site as well, but that could just be that CR got the streaming rights while the DVD distributor didn't I suppose.
Old 2009-12-30, 00:05   Link #87
TJR

I guess it depends on each company's perspective. According to the ANN staff, big sponsors like TV Tokyo and Fuji TV basically set aside a handful of shows that may be good candidates for DVD/BD and then dump everything else onto Crunchyroll with the expectation that those shows probably won't be licensed (an intentional self-fulfilling prophecy?). I suppose they base their decisions on either pre-release interest from distributors or their own assessment of a title's worth.

When Sweet Blue Flowers aired, someone also e-mailed Fuji about a DVD release, and they pretty much shot down the possibility, having concluded that the market was too small for anyone to be interested.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-30, 00:25   Link #88
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering-dreamer View Post
I remember hearing recently (and I can't remember if it was Funimations online panel or the ANN podcast that interviewed the head of RightStuf/Nozomi, both a few weeks back) and one of them said that there is less incentive for companies to license shows that are already online since, well, all the episodes are there so why would people want to buy the DVDs? This means the companies really have to make sure they have extras or other features on the DVDs that aren't available online. Plus, CR has a number of shows that are licensed (like Last Exile and Gankutsuou) on the site as well, but that could just be that CR got the streaming rights while the DVD distributor didn't I suppose.
But practically, that's a really naive viewpoint.

All the shows are available online streaming, always. The only difference is whether there is a _legal_ streaming method or whether it's only fansubs.

So are you going to argue that only legal streams decrease the likelihood of people buying the DVDs? The number of people who watch the legal streams still tends to be less than the overall piracy numbers...
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-30, 12:06   Link #89
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
But practically, that's a really naive viewpoint.

All the shows are available online streaming, always. The only difference is whether there is a _legal_ streaming method or whether it's only fansubs.

So are you going to argue that only legal streams decrease the likelihood of people buying the DVDs? The number of people who watch the legal streams still tends to be less than the overall piracy numbers...
Um, I'm not arguing anything. I'm just saying that's what I've heard, and what TJR said is also interesting. I'm of the opinion that legal streaming for all shows would be the best bet for these companies (so they would at least net some money), and that the streaming rights would be renegotiated upon licensing.

Anyway, read the first few chapters of Dhurarara online last night and I think the action scenes should look pretty good animated (they felt a little clunky when I was just reading them). And so far it seems to be a lot more straightforward than Baccano so hopefully that will draw more people in.
Old 2009-12-31, 02:30   Link #90
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
And so far it seems to be a lot more straightforward than Baccano so hopefully that will draw more people in.
Bah, non-straightforwardness (not that there was A LOT of it, mind you) was what attracted me the most to that show, among other things--but then again I'm a Satoshi Kon fan so I'm biased towards fuzzy timelines in scriptwriting.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-31, 03:04   Link #91
max2k

Because of the narativ storytelling i liked Baccano!. I love Mindfuck, because you brain is entherthained to.
Old 2009-12-31, 05:43   Link #92
Kunagisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by max2k View Post
Because of the narativ storytelling i liked Baccano!. I love Mindfuck, because you brain is entherthained to.
Not much of those in this one =(.
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-01, 08:59   Link #93
tsunade666

I saw the preview and I'm hoping this one will be good as other says.
tsunade666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-01, 21:07   Link #94
sapphire-pyro
C.C. Loyalist

Does anyone have larger versions of the DRRR magazine scans? I'd love to stare at Iza- I mean! It'll be cooler to see bigger versions xD

- About the mindf*ckness
Baccano storytelling was mindf*ck . . . but I've heard DRRR is twisted as well, so even if the storytelling isn't as crazy, it might still be very mindf*ck xD Haha!

- Crunchyroll
I'm not that happy about CR streaming it. I watch Shangri-la and not all translations seem . . . .decent.

- Others
For those interested, I made a compilation of DRRR info that I've gathered so far:
Durarara!! General Overview
contains brief novels, manga, and anime info, also goodies news, also character info, ep 1 preview, and trailers too. Hope it makes you more excited for the anime~ Wheeeee~
sapphire-pyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-02, 02:12   Link #95
tsunade666

I'm excited enough just to see the cool characters.
tsunade666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-02, 06:07   Link #96
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire-pyro View Post
Baccano storytelling was mindf*ck
I really don't see how it was. The show was just telling a collection of different stories, and they were all mashed together. I don't see what's mindrape about that. I'd just say it was confusing at points, though that built up the suspense at what's about to happen.

Anyway, thanks for the blog post. Do you happen to have a bigger version of the anime spread and novel covers? I'm thinking avatar material.
Old 2010-01-02, 08:43   Link #97
max2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
I really don't see how it was. The show was just telling a collection of different stories, and they were all mashed together. I don't see what's mindrape about that. I'd just say it was confusing at points, though that built up the suspense at what's about to happen.
Can it be you did not get it? Wher is the Demon around 1932? How did all the goodfellas around Firo become imortal? Would you say the same about the Movie "Pulb Fiction"?
Old 2010-01-02, 08:48   Link #98
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by max2k View Post
Would you say the same about the Movie "Pulb Fiction"?
Yes i would.

& of course, i'm just talking abut my personal opinion here.
Old 2010-01-02, 09:17   Link #99
sapphire-pyro
C.C. Loyalist

Quote:
Maybe I exaggerrated it.
What I meant that it was so confusing that in a sense it drives your brain crazy. Thus, mindf*ck. Haha!
But it had been confusing in a good way for me. I love it when a series surprises me with a BANG at first because of so many things that it shows to me but later as I watch more it gets clearer and clearer. And also . . . wait . . saying how much I love Baccano might make me go off-topic x_x
Quote:
Anyway, thanks for the blog post. Do you happen to have a bigger version of the anime spread and novel covers? I'm thinking avatar material.
You're welcome I just googled it . . . but not really that big. So it'll still be pretty blurry for an avatar. That's why I had been requesting for bigger versions ^^; Ehehe.
sapphire-pyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-02, 22:40   Link #100
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire-pyro View Post
Maybe I exaggerrated it.
What I meant that it was so confusing that in a sense it drives your brain crazy. Thus, mindf*ck. Haha!
But it had been confusing in a good way for me. I love it when a series surprises me with a BANG at first because of so many things that it shows to me but later as I watch more it gets clearer and clearer. And also . . . wait . . saying how much I love Baccano might make me go off-topic x_x
You're welcome I just googled it . . . but not really that big. So it'll still be pretty blurry for an avatar. That's why I had been requesting for bigger versions ^^; Ehehe.
Wouldn't those "mindf**k" happen at end of the show? And I would except everything would be clear by the end so if it doesn't then that would be the mf.
Baccano! for me was one of the clearest show I watched and hence it was very fun, and one of the major factor why it was so great.

Tags
action, light novel adaptation, shounen