AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-01-08, 14:01   Link #41
DaigoMadoka

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceDrake View Post
Really? I mean, obviously "lolicon" as we know it today didn't exist in 1862, and "moé" as we know the word had not come into use even in Japan. However...

They didn't have the word "moé" in 1862. But as I've said elsewhere, Cosette as presented in the book is as "Victorian moé" a character as you'll ever encounter and, viewing the story though an anime lens, her appearance makes a ton of sense. The only thing they really changed was her hair color to link her to her mother (since there's a decent chance we'll never even see her father in this series; heck, whenever I read the story I was always like "Why the Christ didn't Hugo just give Cosette blonde hair? No other major female character, aside from Fantine, has it."

Otherwise, she's a faithful interpretation of the character, in anime style.
The thing is, they based it off that part, but didn't base it off a later version, which is a bit more understandable, because no one wants to see a sad little girl, but I might be biased, because Cosette's description in that one part happens to be one I like, since it's just so well done in my eyes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Miserables, Volume II, Book 3, Chapter VIII
Cosette was ugly. If she had been happy, she might have been pretty. We have already given a sketch of that sombre little figure. Cosette was thin and pale; she was nearly eight years old, but she seemed to be hardly six. Her large eyes, sunken in a sort of shadow, were almost put out with weeping. The corners of her mouth had that curve of habitual anguish which is seen in condemned persons and desperately sick people. Her hands were, as her mother had divined, "ruined with chilblains." The fire which illuminated her at that moment brought into relief all the angles of her bones, and rendered her thinness frightfully apparent. As she was always shivering, she had acquired the habit of pressing her knees one against the other. Her entire clothing was but a rag which would have inspired pity in summer, and which inspired horror in winter. All she had on was hole-ridden linen, not a scrap of woollen. Her skin was visible here and there and everywhere black and blue spots could be descried, which marked the places where the Thenardier woman had touched her. Her naked legs were thin and red. The hollows in her neck were enough to make one weep. This child's whole person, her mien, her attitude, the sound of her voice, the intervals which she allowed to elapse between one word and the next, her glance, her silence, her slightest gesture, expressed and betrayed one sole idea,--fear.

Fear was diffused all over her; she was covered with it, so to speak; fear drew her elbows close to her hips, withdrew her heels under her petticoat, made her occupy as little space as possible, allowed her only the breath that was absolutely necessary, and had become what might be called the habit of her body, admitting of no possible variation except an increase. In the depths of her eyes there was an astonished nook where terror lurked.
I really have no idea which way the anime is going at this rate, but from what I remember, that part is from when she was working/forced to work at an inn (forgive me, I'm rushed for time, still need to read the book, and haven't seen the musical in years) so it is a bit different when she was with her mother, but nontheless, I can't see that much of a change from this "moe" to "frail poor person" with the character designs. But it's only been a confusing 1 episode, so who knows, it might just change.
DaigoMadoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-08, 14:55   Link #42
SpaceDrake
This Is Part Of The Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaigoMadoka View Post
The thing is, they based it off that part, but didn't base it off a later version, which is a bit more understandable, because no one wants to see a sad little girl, but I might be biased, because Cosette's description in that one part happens to be one I like, since it's just so well done in my eyes:

I really have no idea which way the anime is going at this rate, but from what I remember, that part is from when she was working/forced to work at an inn (forgive me, I'm rushed for time, still need to read the book, and haven't seen the musical in years) so it is a bit different when she was with her mother, but nontheless, I can't see that much of a change from this "moe" to "frail poor person" with the character designs. But it's only been a confusing 1 episode, so who knows, it might just change.
Well, they didn't use the "frail person" description yet because in this episode Cosette hasn't been living with the Thenardiers for years.

I do understand where you're coming from, though - yet at the same time, as I've said I'm unsure just how graphic the show can get in its timeslot. Indeed, it's going to be interesting to see just how they treat a lot of the book's more disturbing scenes, especially later on.

Oh, and Dragonfly, don't write off the entire show as "slice-of-life" just yet. The story changes tone a lot as it goes along.

Finally got a raw, I'll comment on it more fully when I'm done watching. I've liked what I've seen so far, I just wish I could understand it.
SpaceDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-08, 15:39   Link #43
FireChick

I kinda wanna see this. Cosette looks really cute. Oh! Kaori Nazuka is voicing her. But...people that I know seem to hate the idea of Les Miserables being an anime. But I'll tell you more later. Where can I get a RAW on direct download?
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-08, 16:41   Link #44
SpaceDrake
This Is Part Of The Plan

You aren't allowed to ask for raw downloads, remember. Sniff around with Google a bit, and you should find something.
SpaceDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-08, 19:24   Link #45
FireChick

Oh. I didn't know that. Sorry. I'm such an idiot these days. >_<
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-08, 20:08   Link #46
Dragnfly@Gamefaqs
Vampie Walrus. Big fangs

Well, I never judge an anime on it's first episode anyway. I always give it several because some of my favourite shows have rocky starts or misleading starts (like my beloved Lyrical Nanoha)

My usual rule is "half the series or 7 episodes. Whichever comes first" but I tend to not watch things over 26 episodes long (multiple seasons don't count, of course) although I have seen some good long ones before. It's just not my preference.

We'll see.
Dragnfly@Gamefaqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-08, 22:03   Link #47
Veritas
The Last Visible Dog

I can't believe people are now too lazy and/or impatient to watch TV. Is it the influence of the Internet?

Can I get a tally of who's read the book? How many have seen the musical?
Old 2007-01-08, 22:13   Link #48
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

I've read the book...like aeons ago. I characteristically remember key-story points of Valjean's (( favourite character in the book )) like the silverware, revelation, etc, but aside from that, I don't really recall too much about it. And since I plan to watch the anime, I don't intend to recall since the anime's clear central focus which is Cossete and not Valjean would make me sad if I read back the book.

The only musicals I've seen is Sakura Taisen's interpretation of Les Miserables (( IN TEH GAME )) :P, but I've seen some movies. Though the one that stuck to me is probably the one acted by Liam Neeson...when was it? 1999? 1998?

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-08, 22:49   Link #49
exedore
Zentradi Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas View Post
Haven't read the book. I did see a fairly literal film adaptation in a European History class, though, and know the musical fairly well (even if it's not one of my favourites).
exedore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-09, 02:12   Link #50
nekodar
AC, NLA, HnK staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaigoMadoka View Post

Most girls would be "ugly" if they were in the same situation as Cosette have been for some years in the point that quote is from.
nekodar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-09, 02:16   Link #51
nekodar
AC, NLA, HnK staff

Quote:
I can't believe people are now too lazy and/or impatient to watch TV. Is it the influence of the Internet?

I've read the book, though I can't remember if it was the abridged version or not.
I have seen movie versions, but can't recall which ones.
What I remember most though is the Donald Duck version of the story, which is the one I read first. That version is great, and I wish I could find it again.
nekodar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-09, 05:19   Link #52
nadare

Send a message via MSN to nadare
I've read the book.

Btw, I like Fantine more than Val Jean. Her story was tragic.

Dont read this spoiler tag if you havent read the novel yet.

Spoiler:
nadare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-09, 08:24   Link #53
Dragnfly@Gamefaqs
Vampie Walrus. Big fangs

Quote:
I sure hope that wasn't directed at me.

Anyway, they do face a bit of a challenge here. If they make certain characters look... well... enslaved, then they'd loose a fair chunk of their viewerbase. This is an anime we're talking about here and such things as ugly-fying the cute characters wouldn't go over well with the japanese fans who likely aren't watching it because they're fans of the book, if you get my drift.

So I think they're left with no choice but to leave Cosette looking all cute and adorable, even when sad or hurt.
Dragnfly@Gamefaqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-09, 19:59   Link #54
Southern Cross
Crux

I've read the book. My french teacher plans on taking my class to the play sometime in the Spring. xP

And I c what you mean about making the characters look enslaved, and I pretty generally agree with you. Especially as we are talking about the East, which really hasn't seen too much of Les Misérables in it's full glory. Besides, most of these West-East (or vice-versa) reinterpretations have to follow with status quo concerning the masses of the side of world or the kind of media in question.

Also, with it being an anime reinterpretation, even I, someone who's read the book, would like to see Cosette in that way. Reinterpretations are always interesting.
Southern Cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-10, 03:51   Link #55
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

After one episode, I am already so depressed by the incredible sadness, badness, and incipient suffering that I don't know how I'll make it through even a few episodes. Has a kiddy look that puts me off, but is well done. Same director as Di Gi Charat and Winter Garden. And Nazuka Kaori is tearing my heartstrings already.
Quote:
I can't believe people are now too lazy and/or impatient to watch TV. Is it the influence of the Internet...?
"I can't believe people are now too lazy to read books. Is it the influence of those new-fangled daily newspapers?" I actually didn't really know what you were referring to, but I couldn't resist the analogy. I do think TV is a primitive industrial medium, one you have to watch according to someone else's schedule. The Internet is a step in the right direction: toward post-industrial independence, freedom, and variety. If we're lucky.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-10, 04:02   Link #56
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

"Too *lazy* to watch tv"???? Really, that is the first time I've ever heard that line used. Usually, it is the lazy who watch tv since it is totally passive.

The problem I tend to encounter with the internet minions is that they are too lazy to even "google" or "wiki" for information much less visit some site that actually contained intellectual content (and the world might explode if they consulted a book...)
Old 2007-01-10, 11:37   Link #57
Wavedash
Mayo on everything

Having read the book and watched the musical, I was looking forward to this adaptation. With the first episode though, I had sudden doubts. Les Miserables works best, IMO, as a story of utter despair and depression mitigated only by the presence and saving power of religion. The bright, child-friendly setting and design seems to go directly against that. I just hope they don't gloss over the valleys the characters each go through, because those just make the peaks all the more poignant.
Wavedash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-10, 12:36   Link #58
JarOfMayo

Yet to have the time to sit down and watch Episode 1.... lol

I never read the book, but the first thing to draw me to Les Miserables was the Liam Neeson film from the late 90s. The feel and visuals of that were great to me. I knew from later research that the whole story wasn't presented at all, but it did make for a coherent story for the movie at least.

I remember later on I watched the musical... That was great too, Red and Black is da bomb~ song. lol

What exactly is on TV that we are supposed to see though? It seems every good show is 1 in a 100 and sometimes not in the availablity of some peoples. I never got to see Band of Brothers till after it came out on DVD, I don't have cable. lol All I watch on TV is the evening news nowadays.
JarOfMayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-10, 12:43   Link #59
lamer_de

@wavedash:

At least the old World masterpiece Theatre were all aimed at small children, so I don't see why it should be different this time. I would guess that it's very unlikely that it will get "dark" or anything like that. It's children/family entertainment.

CU,
lamer_de
Old 2007-01-11, 22:49   Link #60
lakme

Hi, new here! This probably won't give you the best first impression of me, but you have to understand that Les Misérables is one of my favorite novels ever.

Anyway, what they are doing to Les Mis is just plain wrong in my opinion. I haven't seen it yet, but I've heard that they made Cosette the main character? That makes absolutely no sense, because the whole theme is the redemption of Jean Valjean. I mean, what happened to Jeanne Valjean, and the Bishop, and Petit Gervais? I think they only made her the main character because she's a cute little girl, and we all know the kind of crowd they attract in the anime fandom. I like Cosette and all, don't get me wrong (I highly disagree with the previous assertion that she is not developed at all in the novel) but Les Mis is about Valjean, and to make it otherwise IMO just destroys the heart of the story.

Not to mention, what happened to little Cosette being absolutely ugly and looking like a bat (and having chestnut hair)? Hugo's description of her is one of the best character descriptions in literature, IMO, and of course they translated that into a cute, starry-eyed girl who looks like she's an extra on the set of the local community production of Oliver!
lakme is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, historical