AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Fullmetal Alchemist

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-09-28, 01:36   Link #181
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haladflire65 View Post
Wonder if Mustang suspects anything. I have to say he's pretty busy right now.

Who'd be the one to bring down Bradley? What would happen to the military when the Homunculi are destroyed? Would Roy become Furher? D'oh. I have way too many questions.
I doubt Mustang even needs to suspect Grumman. After all, it was Mustang who dragged him out of his hole and brought him into the fold to try and bring down Bradlely. I'm pretty sure Mustang knows what Grumman will do if he's planning anything at all. He seems to have been the mastermind in other situations before as well, like Maria Ross's escape to Xing.

If there's anyone who'se gonna bring down Bradly, I'm betting all I've got on Mustang tbh. Out of all the people, I see him taking Bradley down the most because he's been aiming for his position ever since the Ishbal "rebellion," so it would only be fitting for him to bring him down and take his place.
Old 2009-10-03, 20:58   Link #182
Haladflire65
*Artist

Just 10 more days or so 'till the new chapter... Then this topic/forum wouldn't be quite so dead...

Random Roy fact: His birthday was on September the 25th. I celebrated
Old 2009-10-14, 08:22   Link #183
GrahamAker
狙撃する準備ができ

Send a message via Yahoo to GrahamAker
can roy open the gate?
Old 2009-10-14, 16:08   Link #184
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Only if he performs a human transmutation. I think any highly skilled alchemist can do that, and flame alchemy isn't all that simple as it looks. Its destructive power has to be backed by quite a lot of study and research after all.
Old 2009-10-14, 16:11   Link #185
Haladflire65
*Artist

Now we know he's gonna play a pretty big part in the climax... I highly doubt he'd choose to perform human transmutation, just like that, but he does have a good motive to, now...
Old 2009-11-13, 01:24   Link #186
Haladflire65
*Artist

I'm gonna bump this back up.

What do ya think is gonna happen to Roy now?
Old 2009-11-13, 21:28   Link #187
Kanish

It's hard to say. Whereas most of the other characters have decided to head north. Roy still seems to be up to some of his old tricks right there in central, so it might be a while if ever before he heads up north himself.
Old 2009-11-14, 01:44   Link #188
Krazzy Angel
despair v/s hope

Quote:
I'm gonna bump this back up.

What do ya think is gonna happen to Roy now?
Maybe he is gonna die...
Old 2009-11-14, 02:08   Link #189
K_Babyy
Fullmetal Heart

I'd be really disappointed if that happened and I'm sure millions of other people would be, too. I don't think it's gonna come down to that, at least I hope it doesn't.

Edit: I'm referring to the manga. ;]
Old 2009-11-14, 08:51   Link #190
Krazzy Angel
despair v/s hope

I thought that would be perfect. It would really be the ultimate climax.
Roy dies and the world is saved. Happy ending but still they cannot really enjoy. A bitter joy. Well this is only my opinion. Killing a major character is really heartless but it is more realistic. His character would be immortalised.
Old 2009-11-14, 09:48   Link #191
Kirarakim

I know no one has given away any spoilers but be careful guys because I can see some of you are talking about the manga & some the anime.

On another note I don't think Roy is going to die. Self-sacrifice does not seem to mix with Arakawa's themes in the manga.
Old 2009-11-14, 10:28   Link #192
Kanish

I assumed this was about the anime since no spoilers were being used.
Old 2009-11-14, 12:07   Link #193
Haladflire65
*Artist

I'm not sure which, because up until now we were talking about the manga. It's really hard to discuss the anime since most of us are manga readers.. Sorry!

I'd like to add that sacrificing himself wouldn't really add up to Roy's original goal - to become Furher. A dead man can't be Furher. Who would lead the country if Roy died?

It would be a really heartwrenching ending, though, if Arakawa decided to kill him... I'd probably bawl my eyes out...
Old 2009-11-14, 12:49   Link #194
Kirarakim

Well Roy's ultimate goal as Fuhrer is to turn the country into a democracy run by the Parliament. Thus he doesn't plan to be Fuhrer for long.
Old 2009-11-14, 14:42   Link #195
Vicious108

Whether Roy will live or die, a lot of the speculation comes from chapter 62, where Ed and Riza have a conversation on that. She tells him "A hero in violent times will become only a mass murderer when placed in a peaceful world" to which Ed protests by saying that "Self-sacrifice is mere self-satisfaction"

I'm sure that that's what Arakawa herself believes in, she's transmitted that message before when Ed attempted to self-sacrifice against Scar in East City in order to save Al alone. It's right up there with "Revenge is never the answer" and "Humans always stand back up after being beaten, and if they can't their friends will lift them" as far as major FMA themes go.

Anyways, getting sidetracked a little here, but yeah I'm sure that when the time comes for Roy and Riza to be tried for what they did in Ishval everyone will realize that they've already atoned for what they did and that they played a major part in saving the country from the real villains behind Ishval and all the other national conflicts.

And even if (big if) Roy wanted to sacrifice himself for a noble cause or to atone for the lives he took in Ishval, he'd be out of luck because he'll have to live for a long time due to the promise for 520 cenzs.

You know, my favorite manga alongside with FMA is Rurouni Kenshin, and I believe a quote from there applies really well to Roy's situation: "You can die anytime you want. But to stay alive is what really needs courage. I'm still alive, to pay for all the lives I took."

I mean it's obvious that what transpired in Ishval played a major part into shaping Roy's character, it's not a stretch to say that making up for what he did there is his driving force and ultimate goal. It's why he wants to become the Fuhrer, so he can point the country in the right direction so that something like that will never happen again.

So yeah, all in all, I really don't think Roy will die. He should know that it is the easy way out and he'd instead choose to stay alive in order to be able to atone for what he did. And of course after he's done that, he should also seek his own personal happiness like Ed suggested Riza. I'm not a Royai fanatic like many other people I see, but seeing Roy and Riza together in the end, free from their past sins, being able to enjoy themselves, would be nice.
Old 2009-11-14, 18:55   Link #196
Sannom

I don't think that Mustang and Riza "want" to die for what they did in Ishbal... they're just ready for the worst once that their goal is fulfilled and that they've got the country on the right track. Once that a democracy is established, that the Ishbalan people are once again considered people of Amestris, the Ishbalan people would ask for justice and a trial for the people with the biggest "body count" in that war. That's probably what they fear and are ready to face.

Your quote of Kenshin doesn't fit well with Mustang and Riza for me, they have never marched the path it describes : they lived and worked to make things better, overcoming their own guilt. But they won't flee from a trial made possible by the very system they want to create. It's not the same as using the oblivion of death to be "free" of that guilt.

The quote is accurate for another character though : Marcoh. The man lived in hiding for years, never trying to act even if he knew a lot of things. When he met Scar, he asked him to kill him, even trying to play with Scar's anger to get him to do the job. Scar refused, and forced Marcoh to fight.

Spoiler for FMA manga:
Old 2009-11-14, 22:14   Link #197
Krazzy Angel
despair v/s hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
I know no one has given away any spoilers but be careful guys because I can see some of you are talking about the manga & some the anime.

On another note I don't think Roy is going to die. Self-sacrifice does not seem to mix with Arakawa's themes in the manga.
I never said that he would sacrifice himself.

Spoiler for chapter 101:
Old 2009-11-14, 22:56   Link #198
Haladflire65
*Artist

Which means that he would've died but not of his own will, which means it wouldn't be a self-sacrifice?

Roy's not the kind of guy to die. He'd do anything to stay alive - look what he did when he fought Lust. I dunno...
Old 2009-11-15, 01:28   Link #199
Krazzy Angel
despair v/s hope

Quote:
Which means that he would've died but not of his own will, which means it wouldn't be a self-sacrifice?

Roy's not the kind of guy to die. He'd do anything to stay alive - look what he did when he fought Lust. I dunno...
Exactly what I want to mean. Arakawa would kill Roy as this is not what fans are expecting. Sometimes we have got to surprise readers to make the ending more interesting. Also everything has got a price. If they got to save the world they have to lose something to bring back peace.

Olivier can still become Fuhrer.
Old 2009-11-15, 10:43   Link #200
Haladflire65
*Artist

That's true. But I'm sorta expecting FMA to return to its Shounen roots for the ending. It is one, after all. I'm hoping it doesn't.

Edit: And there's also Riza to consider. She lost all will to live when she thought Roy was dead; would she be able to overcome her grief if he died for real?

Last edited by Haladflire65; 2009-11-15 at 11:47.
Closed Thread