AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-11-09, 13:10   Link #81
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
I'm no huge fan of DEEN but I don't see why they're a problem now... In any case I've only read the first volume of the manga but actually the gore is not that bad. Unless the anime went overboard and is more gory than the manga (very unlikely, the reverse is much more likely) it shouldn't be that much of a problem. They could just shove it somewhere at 3 in the morning.

If the contents are the issue then I think it's more likely that it's the combination of regular, somewhat explicit cannibalism, incestuous overtones, and some pretty bad parental abuse. Plus, I imagine it has zero marketing draw, given that you can't really sell the characters and the relationship between the siblings as cute.
To be honest I kinda assumed it was the contents that were the issue - esp the "explicit cannibalism" combined with the "incestuous overtones". Of course based on what little I read the parental abuse is also quite nasty, but I assumed the former combo was the main issue?
Old 2013-11-11, 12:33   Link #82
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

If Elfen Lied (among other graphic/disturbing anime) could get a television run, so can this. I suspect it's being held up for reasons other than content, especially if they had a deal but it had fallen through for some reason. I wouldn't expect this until winter at the earliest, and it's possible it may end up skipping television entirely.
Old 2013-11-11, 18:03   Link #83
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
If Elfen Lied (among other graphic/disturbing anime) could get a television run, so can this. I suspect it's being held up for reasons other than content, especially if they had a deal but it had fallen through for some reason. I wouldn't expect this until winter at the earliest, and it's possible it may end up skipping television entirely.
That was almost ten years ago, times may have changed. And even back then, Elfen Lied only aired on AT-X. It's the only channel to my knowledge that would be willing to welcome a show like Pupa, assuming it's as graphic as I've been told.
Old 2013-11-11, 19:11   Link #84
ukulelembo
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
If Elfen Lied...
In Elfen Lied was not present direct cannibalism. And Pupa is still much more gore, than Elfen Lied.
Spoiler for Gore in Elfen Lied vs. Gore in Pupa:
ukulelembo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-11, 22:36   Link #85
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Wow, didn't realize dismemberment was "not as bad" as disembowelment. The pictures you posted demonstrate exactly how graphic Elfen Lied was when it aired, by the way, and they aren't even the worst of what was shown. Squeamish need not apply.

For a newer example, one that was censored, there's Deadman Wonderland. People are giving Pupa too much credit. It's got graphic depictions of violence and gore, but it's not as bad as it looks. It's more that it shares a common theme with Elfen Lied in that it doesn't pull punches and never really lets up.

Having said that, it's entirely possible the anime ups the ante on that content and that could be why the airing hasn't happened, but no one knows and it's just speculation at this point.

All I'm saying is that even if content has caused the delay, it's probably not the only reason, and that it probably won't air this fall simply because things have been rescheduled already. So that leaves winter at the earliest, and if they can't find an open schedule they may go right to disc and hope for the best. It would be incredibly strange to produce an entire series and then shelve it.
Old 2013-11-12, 02:11   Link #86
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukulelembo View Post
In Elfen Lied was not present direct cannibalism. And Pupa is still much more gore, than Elfen Lied.
No, it's not. Have you read pupa? There's a bit of body horror but it's nothing like Elfen Lied's wallowing in gore. The picture you posted is probably the worst in the entire first volume, and it's just a single shot that the anime director can get creative with to lessen its impact.

Frankly, I think the main issue here is the lack of marketability (is that a word?).
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-12, 02:31   Link #87
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

I dunno. I have read pupa (up tp most recent chapter as of this posting, actually), and I have read elfin lied.

They are similar in a very general sense, but (and correct me if I am wrong) I don't recall the element of eating other living things/victims in elfin lied - esp not with the watery, slurpy, lip smacking graphic sounds the pv showed. -_-

For us who have not reviewed the finished product (like we assume the tv channels, etc. have) all we really have to go on is the preview as a litmus test for what the ful version of anime could be combined with the manga chapters themselves. And in that light I can kinda imagine why it has not been permitted to air thus far.

And tho it is just my own opinion I don't think that marketability is the lone consideration. Even if it is, that doesn't necessarily mean that the reasons it is assumed it would not be matketable are necessarily bad ones.

Just my take on things though.
Old 2013-11-12, 03:20   Link #88
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I think the lesson here is this: when it comes to anime incest or cannibalism is fine. But both? That's just sick...
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-12, 07:07   Link #89
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

Oh please... Both similar and much worse anime and live movies have aired. This isn't even close to the most "shocking" premise I've come across, so I honestly don't quite see why that would be the main problem... would be a real shame if it was.

I for one was looking forward to this Hope they can work something out..
Old 2013-11-13, 20:27   Link #90
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Nice to see so many people interested in this show. Mochizuki + Kido were the draw for me. As a post on 2channel says, I can't see the material being covered in the rumored eight 5-minute episodes. And I can't see why they couldn't go ahead just on NicoNico, which has a page set up for it.

I'm still going to keep checking that page daily, lol, but there is one 2channel post that makes me think we might have to wait: the ad for the anime in the manga's magazine for November said it would be animated in Fall 2013, whereas the analogous December ad just says that it will be animated, period.

I enjoyed another post on 2channel: "Did she eat the staff, too?"
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2013-11-13 at 20:55.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-15, 01:21   Link #91
Articalys

https://twitter.com/pupa_anime/statu...30082850582528

Delayed to January 2014.
Articalys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-15, 01:31   Link #92
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articalys View Post
At least it's still happening.

I have to say from what I've been able to read so far, which honestly isn't much if you check the English translation, the gore doesn't seem that much worse then what's in say Shingeki no Kyojin.
Cloudedmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-15, 01:35   Link #93
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

What will it air on? Tv? Webcast only? Something else?
Old 2013-11-15, 08:17   Link #94
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

The tweet specifically mentions "television".
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-16, 06:34   Link #95
bastek66

Sayaka Mogi's Horror Manga Pupa to End in December

Last edited by NightWish; 2013-11-16 at 08:26. Reason: Please don't post gifs like that; they don't add anything useful
bastek66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-22, 04:23   Link #96
Dop
Mmmm....

ANN: The official website for the anime of Sayaka Mogi's horror manga Pupa began streaming the long version of the second promotional video on Friday. The video confirms that the weekly anime will premiere on TV Tokyo on Thursday, January 9 at 27:00 (effectively Friday, January 9 at 3:00 a.m.), after being delayed from this Fall. It will also begin streaming on the Niconico service on Friday, January 10 at 1:00 p.m.

Dop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-22, 07:10   Link #97
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dop View Post
ANN: The official website for the anime of Sayaka Mogi's horror manga Pupa began streaming the long version of the second promotional video on Friday. The video confirms that the weekly anime will premiere on TV Tokyo on Thursday, January 9 at 27:00 (effectively Friday, January 9 at 3:00 a.m.), after being delayed from this Fall. It will also begin streaming on the Niconico service on Friday, January 10 at 1:00 p.m.

The planned airdate itself is correct, but from what I watched the PV, it's confirmed to air on Tokyo MX instead of TV Tokyo.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-22, 07:22   Link #98
Dop
Mmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisaoFan View Post
The planned airdate itself is correct, but from what I watched the PV, it's confirmed to air on Tokyo MX instead of TV Tokyo.
Looks like ANN have since fixed that mistake on their page.
Dop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-22, 07:52   Link #99
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

At last, we have a date and a broadcast station!

And Mamiko Noto joining the cast will make this even more interesting.

I still would like to know why it was pushed back a full season.
Old 2013-11-22, 10:13   Link #100
ukulelembo
Detective

Music by Konishi Kayou and Kondou Yukio.
ukulelembo is offline   Reply With Quote