AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-03-29, 16:05   Link #3121
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

I'm really gonna miss this show. Here's hoping for an OVA (as unlikely as that is).
Old 2010-03-29, 17:18   Link #3122
sunwen

I regret the ending song is obstructive.
sunwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-29, 17:18   Link #3123
Theowne
耳をすませば

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayaku View Post
Man I loved that ending too bad it ended :/ now I feel a bit sad since there isn't any other anime that can move me as much as Cross Game did this past year :/ I mean, what else is there that is up to par with this show? ^.^
Touch by the same author.

However, the ending to Cross Game was waaaay better. That was my one worry. But Adachi did a great job here, the final moments were very moving, it definitely felt worth the investment.

I expect in a few days when the shock of no-more-CG wears off I'll have a more balanced opinion on the series as a whole, but for now...I feel a little empty.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-29, 18:59   Link #3124
Kirarakim

That was so perfect...... Well okay I would rather not have the credits over everyone faces at the end but other than that I loved it.

I think my favorite thing about this series is just how understated everything was. It just felt so real & natural and I loved it. Yes there were a few minor things (I never cared for that cousin character) but overall this is one of the most perfect series I have seen in a long time. Ah the picture & hands holding scene <3

And while I have sworn not to start collecting any new manga series I will have to break that promise for this series. I am so happy I will be able to own this series in some shape or form.
Old 2010-03-29, 22:36   Link #3125
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
How many years had it been since an anime episode made me cry of joy? I don't really remember, but today I had to reset the count.
Me too - twice (game-winning K - was it a 160? - and the tears from Aoba).
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-29, 22:41   Link #3126
monir
cho~ kakkoii

I've also decided that I'll buy the R2 DVDs for this series along with Bakemonogatari. Excellent end to a well coordinated effort and cooperation among the author, director, script-writer, and the producers to deliver such a lengthy show. Future anime adaptation can learn a lot from how Cross Game is done.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-29, 22:56   Link #3127
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Wow. It's hard to put one's feelings into words at the end of an amazing journey like that. I need some time, as I usually do. But I can say with certainty, this was a wonderful end and did a better job wrapping events in 22 minutes than I ever would have guessed possible.

Kou and Aoba now joins Balsa and Chagum as the two most moving and believable relationships in modern anime, for my money. To whoever it was that sang the praises of Miyu-Miyu, let me echo it - that was a bravura performance. But that performance paired with one of the best-written characters in anime makes anime Kou maybe the best male lead ever.

What also strikes me about the end is - everyone is true to themselves (ironically, given the emphasis on lies in the final arc). As I suspected, Kou was always waiting for Aoba to catch up to him emotionally - patient, discreetly caring for Aoba without hurting her pride. While he lied to others he always knew the truth himself. Aoba OTOH had herself convinced of the big lie, one thinks, right up to the end. It was Akane's role to pass Waka-chan's benediction on to Aoba, to give her blessing to be with Kou. Azuma was, as always, knowing and selfless. Akaishi clever about most things but not about himself.

The baseball, of course, wasn't bad either. My first emotional eruption came on the "Ball Four!" call to Mishima - was that the 160? While Kou didn't strike him out, he did just as well - threw him a pitch so tough Mishima couldn't pull the trigger, even knowing that a walk would effectively end the game. The second eruption came when Kou finally raised his arms in exultation - the great soul who carried everyone on his back through baseball and life finally rewarded with the unadulterated joy he'd so richly earned. Koshien, correctly, was not covered - that wasn't the point. Life is about the journey, not the destination.

Finally, the "consummation" of Kou and Aoba's relationship. While I would have liked a little more affection from Aoba, she was true to herself in the end too - tsundere through and through, though Kou is GAR enough to handle even a first-rate tsundere. Her emotional breakdown was enough, and Kou strong enough not to demand that she change who she is. The image of them together on the platform, holding hands, is the one I will take away from this amazing series. It's a fitting and suitably understated way to bring things to their conclusion.

So - anyone else going to start it again from episode one tomorrow?
Old 2010-03-29, 23:16   Link #3128
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Spoiler for Length:

Couldn't have said it better myself. If anyone is up for it, we could all watch an episode a day and discuss it just to see how it feels the 2nd time around (or how ever many times you've seen it already ) That is, only if people are interested. I for one, want to re-watch this wonderful series again and experience it for a 2nd time.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
DeX-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-29, 23:22   Link #3129
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
Couldn't have said it better myself. If anyone is up for it, we could all watch an episode a day and discuss it just to see how it feels the 2nd time around (or how ever many times you've seen it already ) That is, only if people are interested. I for one, want to re-watch this wonderful series again and experience it for a 2nd time.
I'm up for it, but I dunno about an episode a day - I want to make it last longer that 7 weeks!

Only two series I ever turned around and re-watched as soon as I finished them - FLCL and Seirei no Moribito. That's a high honor in my book.
Old 2010-03-29, 23:26   Link #3130
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

wait, you guys mean you haven't started to rewatch it yet? haha, jk. i'll see if i can fit them in between my eps of Aria..

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-29, 23:26   Link #3131
DeX-kun

Quote:
I'm up for it, but I dunno about an episode a day - I want to make it last longer that 7 weeks!
As much as I agree, I'm not sure others want to drag it out that long I'm curious as to how many people we can actually get to follow something like this though. It's a shame that we don't have a sub-forum for Cross Game, it would be organized in a better fashion.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
Old 2010-03-29, 23:31   Link #3132
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theowne View Post
Touch by the same author.

However, the ending to Cross Game was waaaay better. That was my one worry. But Adachi did a great job here, the final moments were very moving, it definitely felt worth the investment.

I expect in a few days when the shock of no-more-CG wears off I'll have a more balanced opinion on the series as a whole, but for now...I feel a little empty.
I loved Touch. A great anime, and nice and long too, though admittedly by today's standards the animation is sub-average. However, great storyline that's touching and there's much more comedy to be had . If you liked Cross Game, I can't see how you wouldn't like Touch as well.
Old 2010-03-29, 23:34   Link #3133
Theowne
耳をすませば

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
I loved Touch. A great anime, and nice and long too, though admittedly by today's standards the animation is sub-average. However, great storyline that's touching and there's much more comedy to be had . If you liked Cross Game, I can't see how you wouldn't like Touch as well.
I loved Touch as well, it remains as one of my favourite anime. And while we're throwing suggestions about, I will say for the hundredth time that I hope to see familiar faces in the Ookiku Furikabutte! season 2 thread. It starts next week. And if you haven't watched season 1 yet....you have 1 week (which won't be a problem - it's just that addictive).

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-29, 23:47   Link #3134
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theowne View Post
I loved Touch as well, it remains as one of my favourite anime. And while we're throwing suggestions about, I will say for the hundredth time that I hope to see familiar faces in the Ookiku Furikabutte! season 2 thread. It starts next week. And if you haven't watched season 1 yet....you have 1 week (which won't be a problem - it's just that addictive).
I'll be there - and for Major (unfairly dissed way too much, IMO) season 6 as well. Those two series will help lessen the sting. I can't compare Oofuri to Cross Game in terms of quality, frankly - it's a light, enjoyable confection where CG is a seven-course feast. But if S2 is anything like S1 it'll be a good trip.
Old 2010-03-29, 23:56   Link #3135
Otaku Surf

Being a hardcore Gundam fan, I really had no desire to watch a series that appeared to revolve around baseball. For me anime and sports don't mix. Nothing against sports, but I would rather keep it separate.

It was around the second season of Hayate no Gotoku and I was feeling a bit disappointed with the series that I sought something new and heard about Cross Game and watched the first episode which had it's enjoyable moments and unexpected ones.

If there was a lesson to be learned with Cross Game and anime in general for me, is that things don't appear what they seem to be.

Really great ending to an equally great series!

My full thoughts on the series here.
Otaku Surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-30, 00:54   Link #3136
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku Surf View Post
Being a hardcore Gundam fan, I really had no desire to watch a series that appeared to revolve around baseball. For me anime and sports don't mix. Nothing against sports, but I would rather keep it separate.

It was around the second season of Hayate no Gotoku and I was feeling a bit disappointed with the series that I sought something new and heard about Cross Game and watched the first episode which had it's enjoyable moments and unexpected ones.

If there was a lesson to be learned with Cross Game and anime in general for me, is that things don't appear what they seem to be.

Really great ending to an equally great series!

My full thoughts on the series here.
That perfectly summarizes why so many of us banded together to evangelize Cross Game to the masses. This is a show that's so much more than it superficially appears, with a powerful potential to viewers who might be scared off by what they perceive it to be. If this story isn't universal, I don't know what story could be.
Old 2010-03-30, 02:34   Link #3137
poko-kun

The ending recalls me my cosplay photo.
We took it a month or two before the manga reached the final chapter.
Spoiler for awww:

Sorry for being out of character (Aoba won't smile like this... but who knows the future)
Old 2010-03-30, 03:21   Link #3138
DeX-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by poko-kun View Post
Spoiler for awww:

Sorry for being out of character (Aoba won't smile like this... but who knows the future)
Very cute. You kind of do look like a real life version of Aoba but with your own personality mixed in there, great job to both of you

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
Old 2010-03-30, 03:44   Link #3139
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
I was going to, though seeing as though the manga is now licensed, i'll just wait until that's released. I was planning to read the manga anyway.

Still waiting for a soundtrack announcement though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poko-kun View Post
Spoiler for awww:

It's nice to see what Aoba would look like when she smiled though.
Old 2010-03-30, 04:27   Link #3140
poko-kun

I'd like to act like Aoba, but couldn't help smiling since we were having fun that day.

Spoiler for Our brains got all rotten.:

Tags
baseball, drama, romance, school life, shounen, sports