AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-11-22, 10:43   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 647 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Whoa, wasn't expecting an early spoiler this week! Well, now I suppose that's an extra thing to be thankful for this holiday, I guess! Anyway, T provides the goods as usual, and credit for translation goes to rubia_ryu from AP forums:

-Chapter title is "Noah has stopped". The Skypiea portion of the current ministory now focuses on Conis and the Shandian girl Raki, who have opened their "pumpkin cafe", where the specialty is pumpkin noodles.

-Hody and all of his officers have fallen to the Straw-Hats' might. However, the ancient ark has yet to cease its descent. Luffy still tries to stop it with his Elephant Gatling, but it doesn't seem to do much good. King Neptune then makes an apology to the mysterious "Joy Boy" for failing to uphold the promise concerning Noah.....

-As he continues pummeling the ark, Luffy hears a voice in his head. He then gets stopped by Shirahoshi, who has finally managed to summon some sea kings that help stop Noah from falling! The princess then converses with the creatures, who praise Luffy. Apparently, it was their voices that he heard during his assault on the ship, and he loses consciousness after realizing that fact. The ancient ark is partially broken, but still intact for the most part. Everyone finally celebrates their victory.....

Well now, looks like the storyline is close to its end. As we figured, it's Shira who finally managed to save the day with the help of her sea monster friends (as well as Joy Boy being connected to Noah). BTW, T notes that Luffy hearing the sea kings' voice is probably foreshadowing that he too can hear "the voice of all things". I'm inclined to agree with him.

Heh, I can't wait to see Caribou try to crash the victory party. I still think it would be cool if Nami and Robin took him out, but he'll probably get OHKO'd by one of the monster trio in the end, anyway. Either way, I don't see him escaping the island with those captive mermaids. And as usual, the wait for the full chapter begins.....

Last edited by marvelB; 2011-11-22 at 12:05.
Old 2011-11-22, 10:58   Link #2
james0246

Luffy hearing voices isn't too surprising, nor is Shira summoning some Sea Kings. Finding out how pleasant the Sea Kings are, is surprising though .

Chapters seems to be more or less what we all expected (for quite some time). I don't know if I want Hodi to make another reappearance, but something does need to happen to him next episode (if nothing else, he needs to lose his "buff" exterior and either regain his fugly original look or turn into some new ugly so we can all laugh at his new appearance).
Old 2011-11-22, 11:01   Link #3
Homura7

You forgot to point out how the Sea Kings speech reveals that Luffy is indeed the man of the legend. But hey, not like we didn't know this before.
Old 2011-11-22, 11:30   Link #4
marvelB

^Yeah, I didn't really think that was necessary. We all know Luffy tends to be compared to legendary people, anyhow (like how he reminded the townsfolk of Whitebeard a couple chapters back). Still, the voice thing was a pretty cool touch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
I don't know if I want Hodi to make another reappearance, but something does need to happen to him next episode (if nothing else, he needs to lose his "buff" exterior and either regain his fugly original look or turn into some new ugly so we can all laugh at his new appearance).

Y'know, that reminds me of a conversation we had some threads back where I mentioned the possibility of Hody reverting to his original body when defeated, or if he would outright die from the overdose (though I have many doubts about that). But I gotta admit that him transforming into an even more pathetic form after his is definitely a possibility.
Old 2011-11-22, 11:39   Link #5
Homura7

I don't think Hody will revert back to his original look, mainly because the Energy Steroids shave your life in exhange for huge amounts of strenght, so I believe that his current self is permanent, or at least it will last as long as how many years of life he has lost.
Old 2011-11-22, 12:03   Link #6
marvelB

Welp, I think it's time for me to kick-start another pages-long heated debate:

So after checking out the translation of the full spoiler script for the chapter, it turns out that Luffy passed out after the sea kings were summoned (in fact, Shira stopped him from destroying it any further. Therefore, I edited the opening summary a bit to reflect this). So I guess this brings up the question: Did Luffy really have the stamina to completely decimate the ark despite his wounds? Or would he still have passed out if the sea kings didn't arrive in time, dooming the island in the end....?

Oh, and on an unrelated note, looks like fans will be able to get their hands on the REAL Monkey D. Luffy for the series' 15th anniversary:

Old 2011-11-22, 12:16   Link #7
Homura7

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Welp, I think it's time for me to kick-start another pages-long heated debate:

So after checking out the translation of the full spoiler script for the chapter, it turns out that Luffy passed out after the sea kings were summoned (in fact, Shira stopped him from destroying it any further. Therefore, I edited the opening summary a bit to reflect this). So I guess this brings up the question: Did Luffy really have the stamina to completely decimate the ark despite his wounds? Or would he still have passed out if the sea kings didn't arrive in time, dooming the island in the end....?
The later, no doubt. With or without the Sea Kings, likewise Luffy would have passed out due to the seriousness of his wounds.
Old 2011-11-22, 12:52   Link #8
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Why did Luffy pass out? It couldn't have been from his wounds because they were minor at best; he hardly broke a sweat against Hodi. Perhaps it was extreme exertion in trying to destroy Noah? That seems to be the logical explanation.
Old 2011-11-22, 13:49   Link #9
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
Why did Luffy pass out? It couldn't have been from his wounds because they were minor at best; he hardly broke a sweat against Hodi. Perhaps it was extreme exertion in trying to destroy Noah? That seems to be the logical explanation.
The wound was mentioned several times. And, considering the wound was on his arm/shoulder, and the attack he is using, ultimately, forces blood out of his wound (you try moving a bleeding arm without having blood flow out faster ), I can definitely see Luffy collapsing simply due to blood lose (especially if Oda does his usual shtick and says that Luffy “hit Noah 1000 times” or some such extra detail…).
Old 2011-11-22, 15:51   Link #10
Rainbowman

Time for my reviews:

Quote:
-Chapter title is "Noah has stopped". The Skypiea portion of the current ministory now focuses on Conis and the Shandian girl Raki, who have opened their "pumpkin cafe", where the specialty is pumpkin noodles.
Pumpkin Cafe. Sounds interesting. I wonder if they got Pumpkin Pie? Speaking of which, I'd like to wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving this year.

Quote:
-Hody and all of his officers have fallen to the Straw-Hats' might. However, the ancient ark has yet to cease its descent. Luffy still tries to stop it with his Elephant Gatling, but it doesn't seem to do much good. King Neptune then makes an apology to the mysterious "Joy Boy" for failing to uphold the promise concerning Noah.....
So King Neptune has a connection with Joy Boy. They must have been good friends.

Quote:
-As he continues pummeling the ark, Luffy hears a voice in his head. He then gets stopped by Shirahoshi, who has finally managed to summon some sea kings that help stop Noah from falling! The princess then converses with the creatures, who praise Luffy. Apparently, it was their voices that he heard during his assault on the ship, and he loses consciousness after realizing that fact. The ancient ark is partially broken, but still intact for the most part. Everyone finally celebrates their victory.....
So Shirahoshi saves the day. Another step closer for her to join. I wonder if Madame Shirley was around to see this event?
Old 2011-11-22, 18:20   Link #11
Undertaker

I guess, for me, this just re affirm my theory that Roger's ability to "the voice of all things" is connect to Shirahoshi's Sea King communication and both are some sort of special CoO manifestation. Though this new development of Luffy "hearing" Sea King do seem to further steer the story slightly toward potential joining of Shirahoshi.

Anyway, I can't wait to see how Caribou plays in this story. So far he has been a non-factor in storyline. There is no hint what so ever on his impact in current story other than an early rumor that he'll accompany SH in NW and his mermaid kidnapping act which has not impact of the main story right now.

So Joy Boy is connected to Noah, which could means that Poneglyph Robin read might be a letter for Neptune in relate to the "promise" they made.

I also find is interesting that the spoiler pointed out that Noah, while damaged, is still intact. Which means that the theory of Exodus after this arc is still plausible.

But still, this don't solve the vision Madem Shirley had. I mean, granted, in ACG, those visions are almost never as it appears in the beginning. But while those visions are always twisted, they were almost never wrong on the factual part. We still haven't seen the scene where Luffy standing in front of a burning wreckage...
Old 2011-11-23, 00:46   Link #12
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

So Sea Kings coming to save the day happened after all.

Pretty straightforward OP chapter concerning "moment of truth" and it was pretty good.
Kinda reminds me of the Skypia arc when stopping Eniel's Doomsday Bomb and ringing the bell.

Altho I gotta say the double pages featuring the gang were the best bit.
Frankie telling Chopper to shrink cause it made his robot look like nothing, Robin commenting on what use the robot had and Brooke asking Nami to put on a mini skirt lol.

Was pretty intersting hearing the toguths of Sea Kings, wonder what kinda role we'll see other Sea Kings playing in future events.
Old 2011-11-23, 01:04   Link #13
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Well hot dawg, the climax of the arc finally reached it's conclusion.~

It was really interesting to see Shirahoshi and Luffy communicating with the Sea Kings. I guess this is the power to "hear the voice of all things" like Roger had. Not hard to deduce that it may be related to Observation Haki.

Now that this mess is out of the way, I wonder if we'll learn the mystery of Joy Boy and Noah over the next couple of chapters?

And judging from this chapter, Robin isn't just disinterested in robots/mecha, she just downright hates them. Is it cause she's an archeologist?
Old 2011-11-23, 01:27   Link #14
grey_1960
Annie Leonhart

Chapter 647
Wow that was a cool chapter. Kinda Creepy that the Sea Kings can communicate like they are humans. I thought Shirahoshi's powers was going to be like Jimbi and only act has a summoning to do bidding like a lower creature. But they can carry conversations like humans. Neat that Luffy would have save the Island if the Sea Kings didn't show up.
Old 2011-11-23, 01:29   Link #15
andy

Luffy did not hear the sea kings he heard Shirahoshi IMO.
Old 2011-11-23, 01:40   Link #16
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

So... on Shirahoshi joining Luffy: is size really matter?

But seriously, she's as big as the ship itself isn't it? I still think the mermaid drug will shrink her somehow. But still..
Old 2011-11-23, 01:45   Link #17
kingsky123
Higurashi fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
Well hot dawg, the climax of the arc finally reached it's conclusion.~

It was really interesting to see Shirahoshi and Luffy communicating with the Sea Kings. I guess this is the power to "hear the voice of all things" like Roger had. Not hard to deduce that it may be related to Observation Haki.

Now that this mess is out of the way, I wonder if we'll learn the mystery of Joy Boy and Noah over the next couple of chapters?

And judging from this chapter, Robin isn't just disinterested in robots/mecha, she just downright hates them. Is it cause she's an archeologist?
nah she was just commenting on how useless the robot is. all frankys attacks came from him not the robot
Old 2011-11-23, 03:10   Link #18
Prinnydood
Madness Through Sound

Interesting chapter. Not really anything to comment on, but the sea kings saving the day was pretty cool . Can't wait for the next one !
Old 2011-11-23, 05:33   Link #19
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I'm even more curious to find out about Joyboy and Noah after this chapter. I'm sure we won't have to wait long before Neptune spills the beans.

Luffy's collapsed due to blood loss. Think he's gonna need a transfusion? You know what I'm alluding to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsky123 View Post
nah she was just commenting on how useless the robot is. all frankys attacks came from him not the robot
I can only agree with her on this one. It's pointless to use a robot when you're stronger than it. It was a pretty funny running gag though.
Old 2011-11-23, 07:05   Link #20
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Is it wrong that I kept picturing the Sea Kings with top hats and monocles while they had their little chat...in 19th century British accents?

One thing to note is that the Sea Kings did say that Luffy COULD have destroyed Noah, he only didn't because Shirahoshi stopped him. Which gives even more badass points to Luffy.

Also I agree with Robin..........and Brook.
Closed Thread