AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > AnoHana

Notices

View Poll Results: AnoHana - Episode 10 Rating
Perfect 10 51 48.57%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 33 31.43%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 10 9.52%
7 out of 10 : Good 8 7.62%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 2.86%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-06-17, 01:33   Link #41
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Wow, didn't think there would be a more anger inducing moment than this week's Hoshizora.... Yukiatsu, I really want to strangle your neck. Not only you made Tsuruko cry, but you frigging made her cut her hair!

And wasn't too surprised at Menma not leaving this episode, considering no anime to my knowledge spends an entire episode as an epilogue. At least they still made this very emotional, from the unrequited loves, to the Menma family drama, and especially the one where Menma/Jintan played the "what if Menma hasn't died" game. Truly, and especially astounding episode.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
Old 2011-06-17, 02:58   Link #42
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Anyone noticed that Menma is actually in the process of vanishing? There were two different scenes where she was looking at her hands, and her right one is slowly fading away. I took two screenshots (thumbnails, click for full size).

The hand is transparent and you can see through it. I don't remember anything similar before this episode, aside having ho reflection, Menma always had the look of a common human.

Last edited by Pellissier; 2011-06-17 at 11:52. Reason: fixed link
Old 2011-06-17, 03:07   Link #43
Finiraldi

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadite View Post
Will Menma reincarnate as a field of forget me nots
If that happens, I'll go nuts. Mainly because I've seen that type of symbolic ending and message done several times before (one of those times with that specific flower, even). Worse yet, I'm inclined to agree with you, because upon inspection of the opening, the flower used to represent Menma in the opening does look like one.

And damn it, Pellissier, now you've made me curious. Which episodes were those screencaps from?

EDIT: Ah, okay I see it. I just saw another case you didn't mention in Episode 9 when she claps her hands. Had you not brought it up, I probably would have thought of it as part of the bad backlight bleeding from my monitor. >.o;;

Last edited by Finiraldi; 2011-06-17 at 03:54.
Old 2011-06-17, 03:10   Link #44
deadite

I bet it will be all over the secret base and the surrounding area

The title of the show is actually the characters who are now adults who are going to ask about the flower they saw that day. "That day" being the last episode.
Old 2011-06-17, 03:21   Link #45
fazer

its kind of sad... but fitting for Menma to return as a flower who will remind the gang of the memories they once shared, after all Menma is really the heart of the gang...
Old 2011-06-17, 03:30   Link #46
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finiraldi View Post
And damn it, Pellissier, now you've made me curious. Which episodes were those screencaps from?
From this episode (10) of course. Those are the scenes where she's praying (timeframe 1:59-2:02) and on the bed after she wakes up (16:16-16:18).
Old 2011-06-17, 04:02   Link #47
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Yay, I've been waiting for this episode for quite a while. An episode to develop the glasses wearing character that delivers sarcastic barbs constantly. Oh wait, it's not about me. This episode provides Tsurikko with much needed development, as she was the final mystery in this well developed cast. It turns out that she has also been stuck in her attraction to Yukkiatsu for all these years, but he just really doesn't see her in that way. Cutting her hair shows that she was gonna change herself to move on, but we're not really sure if she has stopped lying to herself. And I do miss that longer hair. :S

It was also sad to see her break down, she even mentioned the crossdressing to others and is incredibly upset despite trying to act otherwise.

Meanwhile, speaking of self-deception, Jintan is in a dangerous spot where he is happy with Menma and the others, but he cannot let go of her. He's relieved that the fireworks wasn't really what Menma wanted but at the same time he's becoming less and less willing to find Menma's true wish. So at this critical juncture, Jintan will still remain stuck.

Yukikiatsu... poor fool, lol.

And so on the 2nd to last episode, they are still stuck. What's it gonna take for them to accept the truth? The source of the stress, the source of their pain is what they cared for the most. And still care for.

Great setup for a finale and I actually rewatched the episode to catch some of the finer details. I can't think of a better way to praise this, so 10/10

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-06-17, 05:23   Link #48
VentAileron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Spoiler for Response:
Spoiler for Response:
@Pellissier
I thought I saw something weird about those two scenes, but I didn't conclude it was transparency till I saw your post. It's way too subtle to actually notice. Looking back, I think it started last episode. She looked at her hands when she was on the bridge, but her hands back then were just solid, or apparently close enough to solid that no human could possible notice.

Last edited by VentAileron; 2011-06-17 at 06:52. Reason: I'm just speculating
Old 2011-06-17, 05:42   Link #49
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by VentAileron View Post
Spoiler for Response:
I though it was because it has to be connected with her in some way, like the timber beams in the secrete base or her diary. Now you got me interested.
Old 2011-06-17, 06:20   Link #50
SoFarGone
H.A.M.

Jintan is selfish. The others are suffering and wants to let Menma go while he wants her to stay with him. Its all about him right now. I thought Menma was the character that I dislike the most but Jintan is making the decision difficult.

Spoiler for ending I want:

If Menma ends up staying with Jintan at the end, it probably ruin the show for me.
Old 2011-06-17, 06:23   Link #51
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I previously believed that Menma's wish was precisely for everyone to find peace with themselves and move on with their lives rather than something that's more on Menma's side. Now I think it may as well be Jinta in particular. Anyway more comments later when I watch subs.
Old 2011-06-17, 06:36   Link #52
miketyson

Pellissier: so that's what that was about. I thought her hands looked "smudgy" in those scenes but didn't figure out she was becoming transparent. Thanks for taking the time to grab screenshots and figure it out.

Vent Aileron: looks like you figured out that the deal with the writing is that she can only do it in the secret base. Well-done, it fits with everything.

My gut now is that Menma has a time limit and a mission, but due to some mix of being an airhead and wanting to hang out with Jinta / the others she's been neglecting her mission. She may have trouble figuring it out until Tsuruko lets the cat out of the bag in the finale.
Old 2011-06-17, 07:05   Link #53
SoFarGone
H.A.M.

btw the finale preview to me shows Jintan saying something to the group that makes Tsuruko cry and Poppo holding his wrist kinda makes me think he wants to punch Jintan for saying whatever he is going to say. He probably should punch him. Maybe it would wake him up.
Old 2011-06-17, 07:41   Link #54
VentAileron

You know what's funny, that firework cost them nearly 2500 dollars and they even helped making it. In the end, what did they get?...
Kind of an expensive joke.
Old 2011-06-17, 08:12   Link #55
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

Episode 10

I LOVE THIS EPISODE. The build up it did, certain scenes which were hauntingly fantastic, the tension that rises as the episode goes on and BOOM Fireworks scene. Menma didn't disappear and Unlimited Tears ending might not come true but goddamn this episode was good.
Old 2011-06-17, 08:49   Link #56
kitten320

Actually fireworks did look weird and lame here...

Also why did they need all of that? You can easily buy small fireworks for much cheaper price!
Old 2011-06-17, 08:58   Link #57
Gohan78
Awakened One

It was an excellent episode but this far in the show I was hoping that the characters would have mostly overcome their issues. Instead, both Jinta and Yukiatsu are still obsessed with Menma in different ways: Jinta doesn't want her to leave, while Yukiatsu wants her to leave just so that Jinta can't have her! They are both selfish pricks.
Anaru is still in love with Jinta after all ("he is irreplaceable"). The only one who seems to have genuinely overcome her crush is Tsuruko (too bad, I loved her long hair).
Then there is Poppo, but his issue was just a low self-esteem.

I hope that the final episode will have enough closure and not be rushed, because it seems that we have a lot of ground to cover.
(De Vermis Mysteriis)
Old 2011-06-17, 09:04   Link #58
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Another great episode. First time I ever felt rooting for Tsuruko. Also keep fighting Anaru!!!

Anyway, this is my theory, I think that Menma will only be able to go to heaven when Jinta finally learns to let go. I think the whole appearance of Menma and why he's the only one that can see her is because of his deep feelings of attachment, regret and resentment. The strong negative and unhealthy emotions that have festered in him over the years cause this phenomenon, and Menma is there to help "fix" Jinta.

I'll be damn if I'm right

Edit: I think it'll be funny if Menma reincarnates as Jinta and Anjou's daughter
Old 2011-06-17, 09:17   Link #59
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Yukiatsu
Definitely the funniest and most pathetic character of the season. I thought he had slowly gotten better ever since he "came out of the closet", so to speak, but nope, he hasn't changed one bit. He is still the same creepy resentful douchebag he was back then (the only reason he wants Menma to disappear is that he doesn't want Jinta to have her all for himself). I give up, that guy's a lost cause.

The reenactment was SICK. It seriously made me feel really awkward. Poppo scored some major creepy points in that scene too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VentAileron View Post
You know what's funny, that firework cost them nearly 2500 dollars and they even helped making it. In the end, what did they get?...
Kind of an expensive joke.
Those fireworks weren't even that pretty~
That guy totally ripped them off. What a waste of money... Ah well, if it at least helped Menmama, then that was worthwhile.

Incidentally, I think they dragged on the fireworks subplot for way too long. It was obvious from day 1 that it had nothing to do with Menma's wish. I don't even remember why they were so convinced that was her wish. They read a few pages of Menma's diary, stumbled onto it, thought "that's it!" and didn't even bother to read the rest of the diary.
Old 2011-06-17, 09:19   Link #60
Otani-kun
Beta Tester

Send a message via MSN to Otani-kun
Reincarnation huh?

Reminds me of Angel Beats now, I keep thinking Menma's going to reincarnate in the last episode and a girl with white hair whose face you cant see will walk past Jintan. Then he'll walk over to talk to her and that'll be the end of the episode. ;<
Closed Thread