AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-12-11, 15:00   Link #61
Undertaker

I also think HC's plot is conventional. Well executed, yes, but conventional. While the design was a return of genre the art direction was a nice surprise. To me, it was the character portrayal and personality that really pull it all together and push it over the top compare to other post-original cures.

With that being said,

I do mirror Sageblink's skeptic view on the Sentai Cures. Personally I don't like Sentai (not anymore) despite being a Rider fan (which I actually didn't enjoy while I was a kid). But to me Yes 5 was tolerable and actually pretty good and then GoGo killed it. Granted, I thought Yes 5 could benefit from a bit more episodes so everyone got a bit more time, but not another 4-cour and Milky Rose can only do so much to save it.

Suite is actually not that bad. It isn't great, but I still put it over SS, slightly over GoGo and on par with Fresh.
Old 2011-12-11, 16:19   Link #62
xizro345
King's Justice

I personally think Splash Star is similar to Suite in the sense that the sense of plot dragging for a while is clearly visible (hence I consider them the worst, while Fresh left me unimpressed in general). I hope it's not the case for Smile.
xizro345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-11, 17:12   Link #63
Undertaker

I gave Suite more point because of Hummy and the fact that the two main characters are not carbon clones like SS.

I agree with Fresh as well, My opinion on it is that the series is having identity crisis. It took a more mature design and setting but executed in a more childish way than any other PreCure series. It also doesn't help it has the lamest catchphrase and awkward transforming scene. Though I guess you could say that the "mid-transformation" scenes are pretty sexy, but that another reason why it is having identity crisis. But I still put it above SS and slightly above GoGo.
Old 2011-12-11, 17:18   Link #64
xizro345
King's Justice

The only worthwile part of Fresh was Eas' arc IMO. The villain was not only lame, but the way the series ended was kind of stupid as well. While I found much more interesting episodes in 5/GoGo even counting fillers. Of course Heartcatch managed to outclass most of them even in that department, but right now it seems every new series is a different take, so I'm not really expecting anything both in positive and negative sense.
Old 2011-12-11, 17:38   Link #65
Undertaker

Same here, but for the record as much as I dislike Sentai shows now, I enjoyed Yes 5. It's just that the fatigue factor kicked in with GoGo and the addition of Milky Rose didn't do enough for me. It still remained the only I have yet to finish. (I somehow get past SS but I don't know how I did it)
Old 2011-12-11, 18:11   Link #66
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post
Same here, but for the record as much as I dislike Sentai shows now, I enjoyed Yes 5. It's just that the fatigue factor kicked in with GoGo and the addition of Milky Rose didn't do enough for me. It still remained the only I have yet to finish. (I somehow get past SS but I don't know how I did it)
Practically, GoGo went off the radar overlooked by most of the fandom, which I'm remaining lukewarm to.

Honestly, I only have GoGo left to begin watching it before I start to move forward with Suite. However, I've already made my choice, that I'll be leaving Pretty Cure for good now that I concluded both Yes 5 and Fresh.

Since I will take that almost everybody disliked Gogo, and I haven't even started it yet, it's not going to be a big deal for me; I'm not a completist.

Last edited by Guido; 2012-10-15 at 00:15. Reason: Update: I already finished both Yes Pretty Cure 5 and Fresh Pretty Cure
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-11, 18:50   Link #67
Undertaker

Too bad, but never say never.

I raged about SS, gave up halfway on GoGo and Fresh but HC sucked me right back into it and all the sudden Fresh doesn't look that bad and I'm actually enjoying Suite so...
Old 2011-12-12, 02:47   Link #68
Jao
panchi~

I will never understand the Splash Star hate.

Fresh is by far the worst one I've seen so far (Not seen GoGO or Max Heart yet) and even then it's still inoffensively watchable except for that period between where Passion's introduction arc should have ended and Northa's introduction.
Hiding behind tinted glasses and doors.
Jao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-12, 11:28   Link #69
xizro345
King's Justice

I wouldn't call it "hate", the issue I have with Splash Star is the same as Suite: pacing. It's inevitable that a full year series of this kind has fillers. The challenge comes in making them "bearable", like Heartcatch did, for example. Splash Star had instead 20 episodes of nothing before the Michiru/Kaoru arc started (one of the rare good moments of SS) but then retreats into the "nothing much happens" for a while (including resurrecting villains, for example). Suite has that issue coupled with extremely weak villains (even now).
Old 2011-12-12, 12:47   Link #70
Jao
panchi~

Really? I thought the only bad parts of SS were the first arc, basically a rehash of Futari Wa, and then the Ms. Shitataare arc which was totally uneccesary and egregiously long.

The general idea was Does it have Michiru and Kaoru in it (Y/N) If Y then plot if N then does it have a good villain (Moerumba/Kintolesky) in it (Y/N) if Y then fun magical girl stuff in N then mediocre or worse magical girl derivative. In spite of Michiru and Kaoru only being in what? Around twenty episodes? Their arcs still shined pretty brightly, and the rest was never not enjoyable.

Now don't get me started on the movie. The Splash Star movie is trash, down there with the insipid fluffy Fresh movie.
Hiding behind tinted glasses and doors.
Jao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-12, 14:46   Link #71
xizro345
King's Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jao View Post
Really? I thought the only bad parts of SS were the first arc, basically a rehash of Futari Wa, and then the Ms. Shitataare arc which was totally uneccesary and egregiously long.
I totally didn't like the last part, not to mention the final villain taken out of a magician hat without any real foreshadowing, same as what Suite did actually. Well, even HC had something like that but they started showing him earlier than the last couple of episodes. The stiffness of Saki/Mai interaction didn't help either (and I agree the movie was trash, mostly because - for me - it created conflict that was never ever hinted in the series).
I wouldn't mind a HC-type or Yes! 5-type dynamic between the characters of Smile. That would help the general flow immensely.
Old 2011-12-12, 21:51   Link #72
Undertaker

I'm won't say my rage is hate as well. It's just that SS is so similar to the original from the character to story to dialog that every time I watch it I can't can't stop thinking that they are Nagisa and Honoka and it would be better if they just keep the pair with new story instead of carbon copy the two.

Also they are still the only Cures I can't recognize by their names, mistaken pre-transformed picture as Nagisa and Honoka, or Egret as White. As many problem as Fresh has, they are at least recognizable to me and graphically pleasing.
Old 2011-12-16, 10:13   Link #73
xizro345
King's Justice

And it looks liks the civil form version images are somewhat floating around (keep in mind net issues prevented me to check the usual places to have a 100% confirmation):

Old 2011-12-16, 13:42   Link #74
Ichuki
┌(^o^)┘モリ!┌(^o^)┘モリ!

Spoiler for Smile PC's real names:
Ichuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-16, 13:44   Link #75
Midonin
Last Engage

From what the scan says, it's Cure Happy/Miyuki, Cure Beauty/Reika, Cure Peace/Yayoi, Cure Sunny/Akane, and Cure March/Nao.

Also, her name is Hino Akane.

Pixiv, you know what to do. Anything goes for this one.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-16, 18:11   Link #76
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichuki View Post
Spoiler for Smile PC's real names:
Spoiler for Brighter version of that image:

Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-16, 18:19   Link #77
PzIVf3

Whats the story?

Last edited by PzIVf3; 2011-12-16 at 18:42.
PzIVf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-16, 18:47   Link #78
Midonin
Last Engage

The plot is pretty easy to guess - the same as any Precure series, really - but the specifics involve a group of clowns(?) bringing down a fairy tale land.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-16, 19:42   Link #79
Undertaker

It also seems they are breaking away a bit in turn of naming the Cures. There is always some sort of theme that defines each cure group and relevant to their names. If those names are legit, I can't quite figure out the theme for this series...
Old 2011-12-17, 02:45   Link #80
xizro345
King's Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by PzIVf3 View Post
Whats the story?
The details were leaked a few weeks ago, but basically Marchen Land (that's the name of the place) gets invaded and the Queen sealed. To unseal the Queen, there's need of something called "Cure Decor", that the mascot, Candy, is going to find on Earth, along with Precure of course. Here Candy meets Hoshizora Miyuki (if I read that right), and the story starts from there.

Tags
magical girl, shoujo