AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > AnoHana

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-05-04, 05:10   Link #1
Hunter
Bubbly and super fun

AnoHana - Spoilers & Speculation

The purpose of this thread is to allow free discussion of theories and speculation of the AnoHana anime series, but be warned since it may contain unmarked spoilers. Having a central location may help focus the discussion instead of spreading speculation over the various episode discussion threads.

Acceptable post topics
  • Personal theories, speculation, guesses and such. No spoiler tags required.
  • Posting magazine previews (such as from Animage). Spoiler tags required.
  • Any form of spoiler from the AnoHana light novel or manga. Clearly marked Spoiler tags required.

Spoiler Policy
  • Any spoiler that reveals future events, even under a spoiler tag, will be deleted.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    to locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Old 2011-05-05, 00:42   Link #2
Deconstructor
Crossdressing Menmatic

Time for some mass hyspeculah. Today - why I believe the "fake" Menma is Yukiatsu in disguise.

I am immediately suspicious of Yukiatsu, seemingly the most down-to-earth one of the group, to so readily and calmly claim he too has seen Menma's ghost. When Yukiatsu received a text from Poppo - the one who initally claims to have seen Menma's ghost - he didn't seem surprised at all. Instead, Yukiatsu smiles. We know Yukiatsu had a crush on Menma and hasn't quite gotten over her death. Yukiatsu has Menma's sundress in his closet - while not the right size, it leaves open the possibility of Yukiatsu crossdressing.
Old 2011-05-05, 07:49   Link #3
Sageblink
Speculation is wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deconstructor View Post
Time for some mass hyspeculah. Today - why I believe the "fake" Menma is Yukiatsu in disguise.

I am immediately suspicious of Yukiatsu, seemingly the most down-to-earth one of the group, to so readily and calmly claim he too has seen Menma's ghost. When Yukiatsu received a text from Poppo - the one who initally claims to have seen Menma's ghost - he didn't seem surprised at all. Instead, Yukiatsu smiles. We know Yukiatsu had a crush on Menma and hasn't quite gotten over her death. Yukiatsu has Menma's sundress in his closet - while not the right size, it leaves open the possibility of Yukiatsu crossdressing.
Well that not impossible. Though I'm more thinking he's upset about Jintan claiming to be able to see Menma, so he just claimed he could as well...
Old 2011-05-05, 08:16   Link #4
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

I'm inclined to agree with you, Sageblink. He seems oddly competitive...

Old 2011-05-05, 09:20   Link #5
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sageblink View Post
so he just claimed he could as well...
Not only he claimed that, but also said he saw her just a few moments before, right there beyond the bushes.
Someone said he did this to get the others away and stay alone with Jinta (for a confrontation of sort?), however Tsuruko doesn't move. The persons who went looking for Menma are... Menma, Anaru an Poppo.

Anyway I'm more for the red herring option, do not trust the very blatant hints because they may be there just to confuse you.
Old 2011-05-05, 09:49   Link #6
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellissier View Post
Anyway I'm more for the red herring option, do not trust the very blatant hints because they may be there just to confuse you.
That is one of the reasons why I initially thought Menma was just a figment of Jinta's imagination. That whole Anaru-feeling-weight in ep 1 just screamed itself as a 'diversion' tactic to make you think Menma had some level of presence. Despite the solid counter-arguments, I still feel that Menma is imaginary and that Jinta has, as someone eloquently put it, "Fight Club syndrome".

Certainly, Poppo turning his head at JUST the right time in ep 2 so Menma could "eat" the meat was also too much of a coincidence. I can only imagine Jinta imagining that she 'ate' the meat.
Old 2011-05-05, 10:14   Link #7
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

What about the glass that she accidentally dropped to the floor, when she went to visit her own family? Would that have been Jinta, as well?

Old 2011-05-05, 10:16   Link #8
Westlo
Lets be reality

There's been way too many scenes of Menma being away from Jinta and being around other people for this to be a Fight Club type thing. And obviously Menma isn't Jinta imaging himself to be her in those situations either...
Old 2011-05-05, 10:36   Link #9
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
There's been way too many scenes of Menma being away from Jinta and being around other people for this to be a Fight Club type thing. And obviously Menma isn't Jinta imaging himself to be her in those situations either...
Sad but true. I would certainly prefer if Menma was more likely a figment of a deeper psychosis for Jintan, but there are too many scenes of Menma separated from Jinta to really validate the theory. That is not to say that I strictly support the ghost theory (I'm hoping Jintan's the next stage of human evolution, and Menma is a thought construct of his that he can project to interact with the world...; or maybe she is simply the spirit of the group’s friendship; etc), but that is the more likely theory currently. Hopefully we will learn more about Menma's death, and consequently more about the possibility of her being a ghost, in Episode 4.

Last edited by james0246; 2011-05-05 at 23:19.
Old 2011-05-05, 10:39   Link #10
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Why would it be so bad if Menma was actually a ghost? Would it automatically detract from the enjoyment of the story (and therefore, the show), for some people? No, really, I honestly want to know.

Old 2011-05-05, 10:48   Link #11
Sageblink
Speculation is wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Why would it be so bad if Menma was actually a ghost? Would it automatically detract from the enjoyment of the story (and therefore, the show), for some people? No, really, I honestly want to know.
To me, if she isn't Menma/her spirit, i'll be disappointed.
Old 2011-05-05, 11:12   Link #12
james0246

Quote:
It's the difference between Jintan seeking to "cure" his "trauma" by literally forcing himself to change (by constructing a mental projection that can help him to realize and change his own faults), or Jintan being forced to change by outside help/interference (in this case, supernatural help). Both options are acceptable and interesting stories (with different themes and ideas), but Jintan seeking his own "cure" is certainly more dramatic (and potentially more interesting), than receiving help from an outside (supernatural) source. In the end, the results maybe the same, but the journey is very different.

(Then again, maybe my love for such films as Truly, Madly, Deeply is making my opinion slightly biased .)

Last edited by james0246; 2011-05-05 at 23:18.
Old 2011-05-05, 11:25   Link #13
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Well, as far as I'm concerned the red herring theory is only for Yukiatsu for now, ie I'm cautious before buying the many hints provided, I'd rather lean towards Tsuruko for that matter.

About Menma, I've seen enough that convinces me she's not just Jinta's imagination (specific scenes have been mentioned above). A theory about Menma I posted in the main thread was that she might be some kind of poltergeist, a ghost of a person who died with an unfulfilled wish. For this reason the spirit comes back into the world of the livings, and will leave once and only once his/her wish will be fulfilled.
Old 2011-05-05, 11:32   Link #14
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
(Then again, maybe my love for such films as Truly, Madly, Deeply is making my opinion slightly biased .)
It could be that.

However, I seem to remember that movie being rather "up-to-the-viewer" in terms of the interpretation of events, no?

And Alan Rickman is always a winning recipe for me.

Old 2011-05-05, 23:20   Link #15
james0246

Quote:
However, I seem to remember that movie being rather "up-to-the-viewer" in terms of the interpretation of events, no?
Exactly. I would have simply preferred the mystery...unless this is intentional on the part of the creator for something more grandiose later in the series.

Quote:
And Alan Rickman is always a winning recipe for me.
Here Here .
Old 2011-05-07, 20:55   Link #16
winkel

I'll just ask the most obvious question:

Why won't Jinta just prove Menma's (ethereal) existence? Wouldn't that be the easiest way to solve everything? Have her bake those muffins right in front of everyone.

Spoiler:
Old 2011-05-08, 14:05   Link #17
darkmanure

That'll make everything boring and it's still very early. The drama would nosedive if that happened.
Old 2011-05-08, 22:28   Link #18
Shadow5YA

Do they necessarily see and feel what Jinta sees and feels? When Menma hung onto Poppo's back, you would think he would notice the weight of a person weighing him down.
Old 2011-05-08, 23:58   Link #19
deadite

Currently a shit storm over Anaru doing enjou kyousai in the preview for episode 5.
Old 2011-05-09, 00:33   Link #20
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadite View Post
Currently a shit storm over Anaru doing enjou kyousai in the preview for episode 5.
First few messages were hilarious!

Spoiler for ep.5 preview images:

One step closer to my bad end
Closed Thread