AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Old 2010-07-25, 03:37   Link #281
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Sounds like a fantastic nice, i must say.

I must track down these original songs, and a Kate Bush cover? Didn't expect that.
Old 2010-08-23, 12:01   Link #282
mentat

I just finished watching Macross 7 after putting it off for so long... and wow. I actually enjoyed it. The same couldn't be said when I first started watching the show two years ago (right after watching the original SDF Macross and while Frontier was still airing), when I struggled to get through the first 15 episodes. However I had some time in the past ten days, so once things started to get interesting in the show I was able to burn through the rest of the series fairly quickly.

I realize this is a love-it or hate-it show for many Macross fans, and I can understand why.
Spoiler:
...and many of the episodes were incredibly redundant (that's not even to mention the amount of reused frames). I think the main story could have been told in 24-26 episodes.

However it was this redundancy that got me attached to a lot of the characters, through the various subplots. Gamlin and Basara both grew on me, and I even found myself rooting for minor characters such as Gigil, the Flower Girl, Docker, and the bridge bunnies (Sally and Jessica I think).

By the time I reached the last 8 episodes or so I couldn't stop watching. I would even consider the final battle scene to be on par with that of Frontier in terms of intensity and my personal enjoyment, even though the animation was dated by almost 15 years. And of course who can forget the Valkyries... for example I got incredibly excited when
Spoiler:

I still have to watch all the OVAs and extra episodes... hope I won't be disappointed.
mentat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-23, 12:22   Link #283
Heibi
Ancient Fansubber
*Fansubber

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentat View Post
I just finished watching Macross 7 after putting it off for so long... and wow. I actually enjoyed it. The same couldn't be said when I first started watching the show two years ago (right after watching the original SDF Macross and while Frontier was still airing), when I struggled to get through the first 15 episodes. However I had some time in the past ten days, so once things started to get interesting in the show I was able to burn through the rest of the series fairly quickly.

I realize this is a love-it or hate-it show for many Macross fans, and I can understand why.
Spoiler:
...and many of the episodes were incredibly redundant (that's not even to mention the amount of reused frames). I think the main story could have been told in 24-26 episodes.

However it was this redundancy that got me attached to a lot of the characters, through the various subplots. Gamlin and Basara both grew on me, and I even found myself rooting for minor characters such as Gigil, the Flower Girl, Docker, and the bridge bunnies (Sally and Jessica I think).

By the time I reached the last 8 episodes or so I couldn't stop watching. I would even consider the final battle scene to be on par with that of Frontier in terms of intensity and my personal enjoyment, even though the animation was dated by almost 15 years. And of course who can forget the Valkyries... for example I got incredibly excited when
Spoiler:

I still have to watch all the OVAs and extra episodes... hope I won't be disappointed.
I hope you're watching the remasters we made.
Old 2010-08-23, 12:26   Link #284
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Going by what you enjoyed about the series, then these won't disappoint. The Galaxy is Calling Me movie is one of the best Macross 7 related episodes out there for a certain reason , and Macross Dynamite 7 is such a great watch, with one of my all time favorite songs in the franchise!
Old 2010-08-26, 02:42   Link #285
mentat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heibi View Post
I hope you're watching the remasters we made.
Why yes I am. You guys did a terrific job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiroth
Going by what you enjoyed about the series, then these won't disappoint. The Galaxy is Calling Me movie is one of the best Macross 7 related episodes out there for a certain reason , and Macross Dynamite 7 is such a great watch, with one of my all time favorite songs in the franchise!
I just finished Encore and the movie. Encore had a some laughs and "wtf" moments for me (mainly in the encounter with the Chlore fleet... heh), while I can guess what reason you liked the movie because that's why I liked it too

Kinda makes me wonder how Max and Millia managed with so many kids though. I mean the two of them flew as pilots in numerous battles and testing/development of new Valkyries, and then assumed command of an entire colonization fleet/city ship while raising ~7 kids? With all that stress they've aged remarkably well despite being in their early 50s at the youngest (that's assuming the two of them were around 16 during the first Space War, which seems to be a reasonable age for soldiers in anime). Maybe Zentraedi don't age as quickly compared to regular humans, but that still doesn't explain Max.

If there's one thing I was disappointed about it's that I'd like to see whether the fleet resumed its journey following the final episode. The 4th planet of Varauta seems habitable enough, if just a little cold. However, I haven't watched Dynamite yet so I may find out soon enough.

Finally, I realize I'm a little late to this discussion so I went back a few pages in this seven year old thread and read about what other people had to say about the series. It seems like it's a lot easier to enjoy M7 if you don't take it too seriously. The poorly animated and redundant battle sequences were probably enough to turn off many viewers early on, and Basara inexplicably running out to riddle everything with speaker pods didn't help matters either; like I mentioned earlier it took me two years just to get through 15 episodes. If I hadn't run out of other stuff to watch I probably wouldn't have resumed it.
mentat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-26, 14:42   Link #286
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:

If there's one thing I was disappointed about it's that I'd like to see whether the fleet resumed its journey following the final episode. The 4th planet of Varauta seems habitable enough, if just a little cold. However, I haven't watched Dynamite yet so I may find out soon enough.
Actually there is a colony settled in the Varauta system founded by Megaroad-13 fleet. The year was 2025. Protoculture ruins on the 4th planet were incidentally found and in 2043 UN Spacy HQ had the Varauta Research Fleet investigate it with the adviser Earth HQ sent/recommended Ivane Gyunter, who would be Gepelnitch's new body.

The Varauta colony was taken over much like the Macross 5 citizens were kidnapped. The Protodevlin took their industry and created a fleet.

This was just two years before the Protodevlin found Macross 7.

So Macross 7 fleet don't have territorial rights to the Varauta system.

Oh watch Macross Dynamite 7 OVA if you want to find out about Macross 7 post series. Macross Dynamite 7 Mylene Beat manga is a side story to it. Also Macross Ace magazine features Macross 7th Chord manga which is 7 years after Macross 7, 2 years after the events of Macross VF-X2 and 6 years before Macross Frontier.

Quote:
Kinda makes me wonder how Max and Millia managed with so many kids though. I mean the two of them flew as pilots in numerous battles and testing/development of new Valkyries, and then assumed command of an entire colonization fleet/city ship while raising ~7 kids? With all that stress they've aged remarkably well despite being in their early 50s at the youngest (that's assuming the two of them were around 16 during the first Space War, which seems to be a reasonable age for soldiers in anime). Maybe Zentraedi don't age as quickly compared to regular humans, but that still doesn't explain Max.
Those kids are already adults by the time of Macross 7. Komillia was born 2011 she was 20 when Mylene was born in 2031. Miracle was already a teenager then. Followed by the twins Muse and Therese then Emilia and Miranda.

Though I have a suspicion the sisters let Mylene be the sacrificial lamb to their mother's marriage interview schemes.

Last edited by ReddyRedWolf; 2010-08-26 at 14:53.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-26, 14:47   Link #287
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
Actually there is a colony settled in the Varauta system founded by Megaroad-13 fleet. The year was 2025. Protoculture ruins on the 4th planet were incidentally found and in 2043 UN Spacy HQ had the Varauta Research Fleet investigate it with the adviser Earth HQ sent/recommended Ivane Gyunter, who would be Gepelnitch's new body.

The Varauta colony was taken over much like the Macross 5 citizens were kidnapped. The Protodevlin took their industry and created a fleet.

This was just two years before the Protodevlin found Macross 7.

So Macross 7 fleet don't have territorial rights to the Varauta system.

Oh watch Macross Dynamite 7 OVA if you want to find out about Macross 7 post series. Macross Dynamite 7 Mylene Beat manga is a side story to it. Also Macross Ace magazine features Macross 7th Chord manga which is 7 years after Macross 7, 2 years after the events of Macross VF-X2 and 6 years before Macross Frontier.
Oh, hey, you're still alive. One question, in the image thread someone posted a series of images and my thought was that they were from you. Here. Was I right or am I wrong?
Old 2010-08-26, 15:32   Link #288
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Oh, hey, you're still alive. One question, in the image thread someone posted a series of images and my thought was that they were from you. Here. Was I right or am I wrong?
Nope not me.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-26, 18:57   Link #289
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
Nope not me.
Well, damn. I still love your artwork, though, as can be seen in my signature.
Old 2010-08-27, 03:33   Link #290
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
That 'someone' was me, and they were from an artist over on pixiv who's done a lot of works like that. If they were by ReddyRedWolf, then i would have said so.

But anyway, that's enough off-topic for this thread.
Old 2010-12-19, 00:30   Link #291
tyciol
*Artist

Hey guys this is about the tracker for "Dynamite 7" http://www.animesuki.com/series.php/458.html

It gives the impression that no torrents exist for this.

But actually, they do.

On the main tracker for Macross 7 at http://www.animesuki.com/series.php/166.html

Specifically http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=157497 is linked to.

Active 2010-02-04 Macross 7 Extras - DVD version (D7 1-4, Enc 1-2, FotSW, GMM, Movie) Central Anime 3497.8 Mb. 6 3

D7 1-4 is the 4 Dynamite 7 OVAs...

So I realize that this batch by CA has extra things besides D7 but shouldn't it be linked to on the D7 tracker? It just seems to make sense so people don't think it's impossible to find.

Or else, perhaps at least link to the main D7 tracker so people might notice it at the bottom right?
tyciol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-19, 00:54   Link #292
Heibi
Ancient Fansubber
*Fansubber

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyciol View Post
Hey guys this is about the tracker for "Dynamite 7" http://www.animesuki.com/series.php/458.html

It gives the impression that no torrents exist for this.

But actually, they do.

On the main tracker for Macross 7 at http://www.animesuki.com/series.php/166.html

Specifically http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=157497 is linked to.

Active 2010-02-04 Macross 7 Extras - DVD version (D7 1-4, Enc 1-2, FotSW, GMM, Movie) Central Anime 3497.8 Mb. 6 3

D7 1-4 is the 4 Dynamite 7 OVAs...

So I realize that this batch by CA has extra things besides D7 but shouldn't it be linked to on the D7 tracker? It just seems to make sense so people don't think it's impossible to find.

Or else, perhaps at least link to the main D7 tracker so people might notice it at the bottom right?
Anyway, I put the D7 tracker up for all. So if you need download help ask me. The extra stuff is also from Mac 7 is why it is there.
Old 2011-01-14, 23:56   Link #293
Shmoof

After almost a year of putting it off, I finally got around to watching this series completely. I quit last time at episode 9, and was ready to again this run, but I can't believe how much the series turned around (ironically) at episode 10.

As others have stated, the romance element was a bit lacking compared to other series but I feel as though all the other elements of 7 can cover up for it. I also wished there would have been some greater developement and screentime for both the flower girl and Sivil.

Spoiler for Sivil:

On to watching the movie and OVAs.
Shmoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-07, 12:36   Link #294
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Might as well bring the idea up, does anyone want to do a Macross 7 rewatch thread together? It'll be along the lines of the previous rewatch ideas. Plus i know there's quite a new of people that haven't seen 7 yet, so it'll be the push they need to check it out.
Old 2011-11-07, 12:38   Link #295
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

I'm game. Probably not gonna be many takers, I'd wager...

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-07, 12:48   Link #296
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Might as well bring the idea up, does anyone want to do a Macross 7 rewatch thread together? It'll be along the lines of the previous rewatch ideas. Plus i know there's quite a new of people that haven't seen 7 yet, so it'll be the push they need to check it out.
Man, you're pretty late. I've already done the re-watch when I decided to download the 'remastered ver.' of Macross 7 two weeks ago (cool pictures, btw. Almost rival HD materials). Still, count me in . My memories are still fresh. In fact, some Fire Bomber's songs are still in my head.
Old 2011-11-07, 12:57   Link #297
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
I'm game. Probably not gonna be many takers, I'd wager...
Heh, you're probably right there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Man, you're pretty late. I've already done the re-watch when I decided to download the 'remastered ver.' of Macross 7 two weeks ago (cool pictures, btw. Almost rival HD materials). Still, count me in . My memories are still fresh. In fact, some Fire Bomber's songs are still in my head.
Sorry about that.

An episode a week would be pretty good. Sure it's 50 eps, though i like to the idea of watching it for a year.
Old 2011-11-07, 13:02   Link #298
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

And where might one find this remastered version, if one may ask? My copy is kinda old...

Old 2011-11-07, 14:16   Link #299
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
And where might one find this remastered version, if one may ask? My copy is kinda old...
Since this anime isn't licensed yet, it's okay if I mentioned the DL link, right, ladies & gentle-mods?

The one that I DL is the remastered DVD version (not BD) since I'm not that fanatic about this series. Still, the picture here will blow the old version away with its color, clarity & sharpness. Like I said before, the transfer almost rival HD material.

[Mod Edit] torrent link replacement: http://www.animesuki.com/series.php/166.html [/mod edit]

Edit: I'm also pretty sure that if you read the posts at the top of this page, you'll find some posters from 2010 (Shiroth included) who also talking about Macross 7 remastered version and how to download it.

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2011-11-07 at 15:24. Reason: The download link you provided also had links to licensed content which is against forum rules...
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-07, 14:30   Link #300
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Thanks, I'll look into it when I get home.
One other thing: this series was actually released on BD?