AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > sola

Notices

View Poll Results: sola - Episode 1 Rating
Perfect 10 10 21.28%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 12 25.53%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 14 29.79%
7 out of 10 : Good 6 12.77%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 4.26%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 4.26%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 2.13%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-04-22, 10:07   Link #1
xris
Just call me Ojisan

sola - Episode 1 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for sola, Episode 1.

Thread Guidelines
  • No telling or asking for raws.
  • Absolutely no spoilers for future events from the manga in the anime thread.
    If you need to reply to someone with a reference to the game or manga, then PM them. Any spoilers, even under the spoiler tags, that reveals future events will be deleted.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if not aired.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Try to keep the discussion on topic and future episode spoilers out of the thread.

Spoiler tags still can be used where one deems appropriate. There are two ways to create clearly marked spoiler tags as they are shown in the following:

The easy way: By simply clicking on this icon which can be found in the Quick Reply or Reply to Thread template. This is how how grandma does it.
or
The macho way: By writing those l33t vB codes as shown in the following...

Spoiler Tag Example
[spoiler=title, i.e. your reason for the spoiler tag]Don't forget to use a title for the spoiler![/spoiler]
...becomes...
Spoiler for title:

Last edited by xris; 2007-04-24 at 07:11.
Old 2007-04-24, 07:15   Link #2
kct

Send a message via MSN to kct
We should be on to 3 now, but nevermind.

As for episode 1 itself...

Spoiler for Randomness reloaded?:
Old 2007-04-24, 07:22   Link #3
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

I would give it a solid 8. Somewhat slow paced, but it did a good job at introducing the characters, as well as establishing the extent of Yorito's Sky-bakaness. Was good enough to get me instantly hooked
Old 2007-04-24, 07:28   Link #4
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Copy-pasta from the Generic Thread,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
Preliminary Thoughts on ~sola~ Ep01:
---- ----
Spoiler:

Cheers.
Now that I have watched the fansub for Ep01,

Random Thoughts on Ep01:
---- ----
  • I LOVE THE BANTER BETWEEN MATSURI AND YORITO! Both were so equally cutting with each other, in a teasing way, and it felt natural. I am a fan of battles of wits, and some of the lines said were golden, like Yorito telling Matsuri she needed to stock up on her favourite drink because it was sure to be removed from the market soon (a subtle way of saying that the drink was horrible).
  • Dozens of theories are flying through my head, and I am bewildered as to choose which train of thought to follow. I am starting to wonder whether the girl in the flashback is in fact the Rozen-Loli, with the staggering man with the walking stick being her guardian (the one hunting Matsuri).
  • Speaking of which, the dialogue between the Rozen-Loli and Hunter-man was amusing as well.
  • Just a minor complaint but... why don't their clothes get wet in the rain?
  • I like the fact that Yorito does not stammer when confronted with beautiful girls, does not blush profusely in the presence in beautiful girls, and can actually hold normal conversations with them. We need more leads like this, and Yuuichi.
All in all, sola is living up to my expectations. I enjoy romance series like this where the dialogue is engaging and the leads are likeable. Comedy through witty banter is always a plus.

Cheers.
Old 2007-04-24, 08:25   Link #5
Anacone
Lazy Poster

Send a message via MSN to Anacone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anacone View Post
I looked first ep just because I was interested what Lunar was subbing now, yes I read about it from Omni's blog, but forgot what it was about.

And liked what I saw... good start with beautiful song...though why had to brake it abruptly with that official OP song clip, that was not fitting in .

I'm liking chara designs, animation and script..It had everything....nice balance with mysticism (that children song was very creepy) and comedy bits stroke me. And not only music and overall feeling but familiar VA's are doing good job .

Maybe mysterious girls are to my taste . I thought first looking that Matsuri was lying about her name, but second checking I'm not sure if I read right body language how she said it...that pause was maybe too long...but I'm not too familiar about girls behaving

Nice anime season by the way I think... although this is actually my first when I'm following this near, side by side, many names...and there's still something from last season that needs checking and something waits to finish...
My thoughts haven't changed... good job with introduction of characters and leaving things nicely to mysterious.
Old 2007-04-24, 09:41   Link #6
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
How come no one told me any positive blurbs about this?! This is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for!

*breathes*

....anyway, just watched the Lunar-subbed Episode 1. This is my kind of thing; KEY-style (yes I know this probably isn't fair, but I don't know how to put it any other way) slice-of-life phasing into weirdness, setting up a mystery which promises a great deal of emotional trauma for the guy, and the girl.

As it goes, while KyoAni's taking a break from the KEY materials with Lucky Star, I'm probably going to use this as relief from my Kanon withdrawal.

Some thoughts:

1) There was one point where I was seriously thinking, "wait.....why is Mana cooking for Yorito? Could they actually be married (OH SHI-), or is Mana going to become a Kaede (OH SHI-)?"

Otherwise, Mana doesn't actually leave much of an impression on me. As it stands from my opinion, she's the most likely to get the shaft in terms of character development....

2) I actually kind of like the fact that Yorito takes such a great interest in the sky. He comes across as an artistic soul to me, and that's a fairly rare type for a male lead in anime, at least to my experience. Moreover, he's not a Keitaro-class wimp, but surprise surprise, he's not a Kyon-class snark, either. He's a good example of the middle ground. Quite easily the most realistic portrayal of the "Everyman", IMHO.

3) On the other hand, Aono gives me (Yuki/Mai/Rei) vibes, and not much else. Not something to attract me instantly, but since it's Episode 1, I'll keep a close watch. The quiet girls do tend to be the ones with the most character development in the end, putting aside Crispin Freeman's proclaimation that they also "tend to be the kinky ones".......wait. Why am I adding that last bit in?

4) Koyori-imoutochan!!! Kawaii desu!!! Can I stuff her in a duffel bag, huh, huh, please?!

5) Matsuri......mystery girl. Not much to say about her at the moment, until I see more of her.

6) Takeshi-Mayuko.....again, don't know what to say about them. Let's see what time would tell.....

7) All in all, has the potential to become quite good stuff. Now I'm hoping this thread doesn't get contaminated by DanielSong39 and his ilk....

Finally, a question. What day of the week does the Lunar subs come out?
Well, yes, the yadda-yadda I was responsible for in the Generic thread, where Episode 1 is concerned.

So, with that in mind, giving this one a 9, but only because of the twist at the end. First episodes typically doesn't break an 8 with me (not even Kanon's), so this is a good start.
Old 2007-04-25, 02:38   Link #7
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'd have probably "10"'d it were it not for the rather violent end to ep 1 (that was a bit of a blindside). Gave it a 9 for a small number of nits but in general thought pretty highly of the character and relationship initializations.

I really don't want a lot of violence (getting enough of that in Gurren Lagann) but we'll see how the story plays out some more. Love the music and backgrounds.
Old 2007-04-25, 06:58   Link #8
babuji
Alston De Ventigo

hmmm..a very good episode but I was wondering what was the title of the song played at the start of the episode?

It sound very sentimental and slow pace.
Old 2007-04-25, 08:00   Link #9
Telliamed
sensei no pet

"Sensitive Scenery" (敏感な風景, Binkan na Fuukei) by Ceui

It was on the promo drama CD from Comiket I wouldn't be surprised if it's going to be the "B-side" when the ED single is released.
Old 2007-04-26, 12:54   Link #10
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Huzzah I can give my honest to god review of the episode now.

Plot: Well the main character meets a girl who clearly is unable to exist in sunlight for a reason yet to be specifically determined as of episode 1. We see various metaphorical themes typical of a Key story introduced such as the Sky (symbolizing open space and freedom more than likely) and the drinks stuck in the machine (symbolizing Matsuri's entrapment as a night dweller and Yorito who managed to retrieve the drink as her potential liberator). The picture taking also seems metaphorical as a method of conveying the concept of daylight to Matsuri. I believe they will ultimately be the catalyst for her walking out into the sunlight to be set free. She will probably die as a result and then everybody (but me who saw it coming) will cry and that will be that. There are also other characters as well who are briefly introduced, but not given much character. Matsuri is clearly the most important girl in the story. 6/10 (average in context)

Characters: Aside from Matsuri who was alright, we have the standard harem standby's of the Oneechan, the loli, the Goth-Loi and the sick girl. I want to focus on Aono the sick girl here. Aono has to be one of the more dry and uninteresting characters I've seen in an anime in recent series. She is barely responsive to the presence of the people in the room, and when she is we can't really gauge at all whether she is ungrateful for their presence or if something else is bothering her. I have to say that Aono unfortunately brings down the characters quite a bit. The others are the usual standbys and are alright, but Aono brings it down for me in this episode. 5/10 (below average in context)

Music: I couldn't really remember much of it to be honest, which probably means it didn't have much of an effect on me. I'm going to leave this out of my opinion piece here for the fact that I have no right talking about it if I can't recall it. Maybe if I use this section to talk about the voice acting. The voices did there job (even Aono's since the character is so dry and the VA manage to convey that) and Mamiko Noto is at the top of her game as usual. I guess I can spare this a 7/10 as well.

Art: Eh, it's Good I'll leave it at that. We don't have the cheapy animation that lacks detail, and everything is fairly consistent through the episode. No nitpicks really, it just get's the job done. 7/10.

That about wraps things up, when I do my average I get a 6.25/10 rounded down to a 6/10. Yes I'm a bit hardass, yes I'm below the cutoff point for the lowest review as of yet, but I think I feel I've been reasonably fair in reviewing the episode from my point of view.
Old 2007-04-28, 11:38   Link #11
Takemaru
Helpfull Chibi

Send a message via MSN to Takemaru Send a message via Yahoo to Takemaru
Exclamation

This first ep. was really good, it instantly got me to continue this series. The animation of this anime is really good ^^ I have waited for this and it hasn't dissapointed me at all, but i wished that this series would more longer ( It seems to be 12 ep only ) But anyway 10/10 points from me.

Last edited by Takemaru; 2007-04-29 at 06:03.
Old 2007-06-20, 16:02   Link #12
Animaniac: DN Guy
Stick a Sock in it!

Send a message via MSN to Animaniac: DN Guy
It was very good. I like the story of it. And it has something to to with nature! Well, I can't understand why Yorito loves the sky too much....
Closed Thread