AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-04-04, 21:02   Link #1
chamelean75

Phantom the Animation

Did any see this anime? Does anyone else find it a bit disturbing? The action scenes are quite good but the plot I think is kinda disturbing.
Old 2004-04-04, 21:09   Link #2
Phych

I didn't find it at all disturbing. I'll admit its a bit bloody, but its not too much overdone. I think the story is good also, abit generic, but good.
Old 2004-04-04, 21:58   Link #3
Lina
moo.

Heh, I didn't find it disturbing. Quite the opposite, I found it a little funny and I couldn't help but smirk through the whole thing. Poor polite Japanese guy.. all he wanted to do was go to college and us evil Americans force him to become an assassin. The series has plenty of action and, even if it's only the first episode, so far not much substance. The only scene that did disturb me a bit was when Ein was butt-nekked on a table and humoring that freakish guy. Anyhoo, it's okay. I'll give it a chance.
Old 2004-04-05, 05:15   Link #4
darkwave
Manual Mode

Play the Phantom of inferno dvd game!

Info: http://www.jastusa.com/Merchant2/mer...y_Code=DVDGAME

You'll appreciate the anime a bit more. Maybe.. >_<
Old 2004-04-05, 17:25   Link #5
User13971
Inactive Member

Question Audio Problem with Phantom?

Did anyone have an audio problem with Phantom?

Perhaps my download was somehow corrupted, but I've never had an audio problem like this before, certainly nothing that I haven't been able to fix with ffdshow or the like.

When it starts off, there's complete silence until right before the camera pans past the girl on top of the building. Right there I get a big blast of static that will continue on that way unless I click the mouse further up the progress bar. When I do that the audio "sounds" fine, and I can even click on the progress bar to take it back to almost the beginning. Great, I thought, it's fixed.

Yeah.

Now the timing's off. Wayyy off.

That's it, every time. Static, click forward, click back, sounds fine, timing off.

I've got the latest Divx player, up to date video and audio codecs. It also does it on Windows Media Player.

I'm going the download it again. Any positive thoughts would be appreciated.

Kai
Old 2004-04-05, 22:34   Link #6
jennwenn

Yeah I'll agree this one is generic. I couldn't help but laugh when the freaky guy told the Japanese kid that he has potential to be a great assasin. He was running around screaming his head off! Oh yeah so he could tell where she aimed from whooo.

Also really funny when goes into "murder mode" and then switches back and cries hehe. This is like Kite Ultra Lite.

Still, I'm glad it was fansubbed because I've wanted to see it and I never would have known it sucked unless it was fansubbed.

And well, at least the character designs are nice...
Old 2004-04-05, 23:56   Link #7
Gold_Rogers
Famous Dead Pirate

I just finished watching the 1st episode. As far as I could tell, the translation was accurate and the editing solid. The only thing I could complain about would be the font size and color. The font size was pretty small, even for watching on a computer monitor, and the color (kinda neon-ish magenta with white halo) was also kind of distracting. The font itself seemed appropriate for the atmosphere of the show itself...

Aside from that, I'm kind of interested in seeing the 2nd episode. Although it might have been a bit generic, it was still well made enough to hold my attention throughout most of the episode. I didn't like some of the voice actors though. Some of them just seemed flat and not very 'into' their roles...
Old 2004-04-06, 09:40   Link #8
babbito2k
annoying white bat

I didn't find anything in this series to recommend it to me or anyone else. It just seems like the dregs of the "young person forced to be an assassin" barrel. "Generic" already gets 4 votes counting mine and that's not a good sign at all.

"Contrived" is another word that comes to mind. The first episode of anything is supposed to convincingly put the main characters into a situation, and that didn't happen at all. The events which led to young whatsisname cowering behind a table were random and silly.

"Cheap" is the third strike I guess. Some decent production values could have papered over some of the plot holes, but there were too many points in the episode which needed more animation or at least some kind of rendering. KSS usually does a much better job than this.
Old 2004-04-06, 10:25   Link #9
User13971
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennwenn
Also really funny when goes into "murder mode" and then switches back and cries hehe. This is like Kite Ultra Lite....
How about "Crying Kite"?

Kai
Old 2004-04-06, 19:37   Link #10
jennwenn

Is Phantom an OVA? I've been so disappointed in OVAs lately. I don't think I've seen a good one that wasn't a TV spin-off in a long time. (Not since Read or Die...) OVAs are supposed to have higher production values, but I've seen TV series surpass many an OVA. Is the direct-to-video market dead?
Old 2004-04-06, 19:58   Link #11
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Quote:
Is Phantom an OVA? I've been so disappointed in OVAs lately. I don't think I've seen a good one that wasn't a TV spin-off in a long time. (Not since Read or Die...) OVAs are supposed to have higher production values, but I've seen TV series surpass many an OVA. Is the direct-to-video market dead?
The idea that OAVs have higher production values than TV series is based on a handful of examples. There are some great and very well-made OAVs like Giant Robo or ROD. Titles like those get licensed and get a lot of attention outside of Japan, but they are exceptions. Lots of mediocre OAVs never get licensed because there is no market of people who played a certain game or whatever.
Old 2004-04-09, 03:32   Link #12
MercuryKnight

Send a message via MSN to MercuryKnight
I just watched, I thought it was good, a little bloody, but I it's got me wondering where it's going.
Old 2004-04-16, 00:45   Link #13
jennwenn

Live-EviL subbed this?! NOOOOOOO! I thought you didn't DO crappy shows!!!
Old 2004-04-16, 01:12   Link #14
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Quote:
Live-EviL subbed this?! NOOOOOOO!...
Personally I am more mystified than horrified over this turn of events. I went over to the Live-eviL forums to see what the deal was with them doing this one, but there was no topic about it.
Old 2004-04-17, 09:38   Link #15
ati

I never see this OVA but I used to play this game on playstation2 ,it was great story so I like to see this OVA . I think you should to play this game too ,there's english text if you play in dvd vedio game version may be you will love this OVA too.
Old 2004-04-17, 14:38   Link #16
Tofusensei

Send a message via AIM to Tofusensei
Quote:
Originally Posted by babbito2k
Personally I am more mystified than horrified over this turn of events. I went over to the Live-eviL forums to see what the deal was with them doing this one, but there was no topic about it.
Hehe, well... This project was picked up b/c greenkabbage had finished translating Gilgamesh and this was a slow, low-pressure, easy-to-translate OAV, and he had nothing to translate at the time anyway. Of course, we started on it long before any other groups released it but the typesetter took one month to do his part

No worries ^^

-Tofu
Old 2004-04-19, 17:38   Link #17
Miwi

I thought it was kinda funny, as someone already put it... the way Zwei changed into assassin mode and then back into "I'm such a crying asshole"... boy, at least Zwei is funny. It's almost the only good thing in this OVA. I mean... I didn't really the desing characters and the soundtrack was poor and the history, generic.

But, since it's an OVA, I might watch the rest of it. Just because Zwei is *such* a nice name...

Ps: the scene with Ein nacked also freaked me out...
Old 2004-04-20, 03:40   Link #18
wsheit
Combating Spoiler Scum

Wow- I guess I'm really alone here, but....I really liked the first ep, empathized with the main character, thought the way he switched to assassin mode was awesome, etc. etc.

also, AT THIS POINT, I"LL TAKE ANYTHING THAT A) Doesn't have incredibly busty girls and B) ISN"T SHOUJO

Good grief- this season REALLY sucks

the only shows worth watching so far are madlax, kyou kara maou, this one, and maybe Baku Ten (if I can get over the annoying busty characters)
Old 2004-04-20, 10:30   Link #19
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofusensei
Hehe, well... This project was picked up b/c greenkabbage had finished translating Gilgamesh and this was a slow, low-pressure, easy-to-translate OAV, and he had nothing to translate at the time anyway. Of course, we started on it long before any other groups released it but the typesetter took one month to do his part

No worries ^^

-Tofu
You shouldn't assume you started on it before anyone else.

We got the raw as soon as it came out and started work on it then, but we're slow on everything we do and work at our own pace. We could have released Angel Rabbie a month and a half before we did, we finished most of the work on it mid January(around the 11th) but we were the last to release it in the end.
Old 2004-05-08, 19:52   Link #20
mystical___pinay
...mai chan

Send a message via AIM to mystical___pinay
i sorta agree on that... the first episode didnt really have a story.... just a lot of gun fire and heads being blown up... but then again its just the first episode... but it wasnt that bad... heh... maybe its just me...
Closed Thread