AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2011-07-24, 15:39   Link #681
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Its basically like this. From Mass Effect 1-2, male Shepard has gotten the spotlight of the entire game. Now in Mass Effect 3, they decided to step up female Shepard to please the fanbase.
Old 2011-07-24, 15:57   Link #682
Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
That would mean spending a lot of money on reprinting all the promotional material and advertisements! Male Shepard's been the iconic representation of Mass Effect since the first game, and female Shepard has always been kind of the redheaded (literally) stepchild, with her bad textures and weird vertex-deforming mouth.
Textures for both Shepards have been the stuff of nightmares.

Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-24, 16:56   Link #683
Aqua Knight

^omg

That's a total pedo rape face.
Old 2011-07-24, 17:55   Link #684
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

I never thought it was possible for Shepard to put on such a scary looking face
Old 2011-07-24, 18:58   Link #685
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
That would mean spending a lot of money on reprinting all the promotional material and advertisements! Male Shepard's been the iconic representation of Mass Effect since the first game, and female Shepard has always been kind of the redheaded (literally) stepchild, with her bad textures and weird vertex-deforming mouth.
Yea...I did mean from the very beginning... but what ever. He's still decent, and I still got my custom shep. have fun with your new default She's still not the better shepard :P
Old 2011-07-24, 20:50   Link #686
killer3000ad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
Yea...I did mean from the very beginning... but what ever. He's still decent, and I still got my custom shep. have fun with your new default She's still not the better shepard :P
But she is in my eyes. BTW High res images of No 5 courtesy of Ottemis.
Spoiler for BIGG:

Last edited by killer3000ad; 2011-07-24 at 22:01.
killer3000ad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-24, 22:04   Link #687
Who

...dat mole. hnnggh?

Sorry, first thing I noticed on her, and my reaction was like (0:23):

Last edited by Who; 2011-07-24 at 22:42.
Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-25, 00:36   Link #688
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
I'm importing anyway, so mine won't be the default.
Old 2011-07-25, 00:51   Link #689
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer3000ad View Post
But she is in my eyes. BTW High res images of No 5 courtesy of Ottemis.
Spoiler for BIGG:
No..no it doesnt.. Me: Maleshep > femshep, You:femshep>male YAY OPINIONS
Old 2011-07-25, 00:57   Link #690
Belgaesh

The female Shepars was so uninteresting in the first two games, that I haven't even tried to play as her. Hope that in Mass Effect 3 this will change for better.
Belgaesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-25, 02:38   Link #691
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Quote:
No..no it doesnt.. Me: Maleshep > femshep, You:femshep>male YAY OPINIONS
Obviously, people tend to play video game characters that they can identify with more closely. Obviously, I identify more closely with the female Shepard.

That isn't to say I refuse to play a game where the main character is sex-locked. I friggin' love The Witcher.
Old 2011-07-25, 08:24   Link #692
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Obviously, people tend to play video game characters that they can identify with more closely. Obviously, I identify more closely with the female Shepard.

That isn't to say I refuse to play a game where the main character is sex-locked. I friggin' love The Witcher.
Playing halo: FUCK YEA MASTER CHIEF!

Playing Metroid: Fuck yea samus!
Mass Effect: FUCK YEA! ME!

See what I'm gettingg at?
Old 2011-07-25, 09:47   Link #693
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgaesh View Post
The female Shepars was so uninteresting in the first two games, that I haven't even tried to play as her. Hope that in Mass Effect 3 this will change for better.
The only reason to play F-Sheppard was to have her get it on with hot Asari almost-jail-bait (well, almost-jail-bait in Asari culture).....

M-Sheppard is fun to play because he looks and sounds imposing. F-Sheppard is fun to play because she packs a big punch in a tiny frame. Sadly, the first two games failed to really deliver a difference between the two characters, so even if you wanted to make them different, they still come out similar (it certainly doesn't help that the player-character is pigeonholed into certain romances (so besides Kelly, there isn't a single bisexual human character in the universe?)).

In the end, no amount of new F-Shep designs will make the character any more interesting than she is already. She needs to have wholly unique and compelling dialogue/dialogue-choices as well as a unique story unto herself to make her experience sufficiently different enough to warrant replaying the entire series (or at least the last game) from a different gender perspective (something that really hasn't occured in the other games).
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-25, 11:40   Link #694
Irkalla
I asked for this

Fem Shep's face is hawt! I don't really care what colour of skin or what kinda hairstyle she has, I just don't want her to be a blonde -- it's too typical My personal favourite is 6, I want that hair for my Shep.
Old 2011-07-25, 12:32   Link #695
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Quote:
Playing halo: FUCK YEA MASTER CHIEF!

Playing Metroid: Fuck yea samus!
Mass Effect: FUCK YEA! ME!

See what I'm gettingg at?
That's exactly what I'm talking about!

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
The only reason to play F-Sheppard was to have her get it on with hot Asari almost-jail-bait (well, almost-jail-bait in Asari culture).....

M-Sheppard is fun to play because he looks and sounds imposing. F-Sheppard is fun to play because she packs a big punch in a tiny frame. Sadly, the first two games failed to really deliver a difference between the two characters, so even if you wanted to make them different, they still come out similar (it certainly doesn't help that the player-character is pigeonholed into certain romances (so besides Kelly, there isn't a single bisexual human character in the universe?)).

In the end, no amount of new F-Shep designs will make the character any more interesting than she is already. She needs to have wholly unique and compelling dialogue/dialogue-choices as well as a unique story unto herself to make her experience sufficiently different enough to warrant replaying the entire series (or at least the last game) from a different gender perspective (something that really hasn't occured in the other games).
Liara really was the only decent love interest in ME1... I never found canon!Shepard imposing. Certain people *cough* will violently disagree with me here, I'm sure, but Mark Meer voices a threat or battle cry like you'd expect someone to talk about the weather. No rage. No emotion. No inflection at all. Sounds dead, and disconnected. Female Shepard, on the other hand, well, Jennifer Hale sounds like she's going to cut your balls off and sell them to a krogan.

As to the rest, I don't think the different sex options for Commander Shepard are intended to provide replay value. I believe they are simply intended to provide a greater level of character customization, and I appreciate that from Bioware.

I know some things have to be condensed down to get a voiced protagonist. In Dragon Age: Origins, the first chapter of the game is different depending on which "origin" you choose. What you're describing, an entire game like DAO's "origins," in which the type of character partially determines the course of the game? That would be awesome, but financially impossible.

While I don't have any problems with sex-locked characters, it shows a higher level of care if a developer gives you the option to choose which sex you want your protagonist to be, and still fully voices them.
Old 2011-07-25, 13:07   Link #696
Larthak
♪ ~ ♫
*Artist

Send a message via ICQ to Larthak Send a message via MSN to Larthak
Hmpf, what's the chance of all these 6 presets being selectable in the game's character creation (not just used for commercial purposes)? God, I'd pick No.6 in a heartbeat. She's got that soldier's flame in her eyes.

The blonde (5) looks so...generic. Not to mention the actual game engine's portrayal of blonde hair...ugh.

Quote:
^ that wouldn't be fair for male sheps.. its insane to make a good custom.
Oh, I hear ya. One thing Bioware really sucks with is facial hair and hair in general. Love how all the Dragon Age hair mods look so much better than the originals.

Last edited by Larthak; 2011-07-25 at 16:18.
Larthak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-25, 14:00   Link #697
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

^ that wouldn't be fair for male sheps.. its insane to make a good custom.
Old 2011-07-25, 18:07   Link #698
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

The new default Femshep is beautiful. I'd let her sexually assault me.

But I like the old default Femshep better. DEM CHEEK BONES.
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-25, 19:36   Link #699
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larthak View Post
Oh, I hear ya. One thing Bioware really sucks with is facial hair and hair in general. Love how all the Dragon Age hair mods look so much better than the originals.
I replaced Leliana's entire head.
Old 2011-07-26, 10:45   Link #700
Aqua Knight

I did too, I couldn't stand looking at her wrinkles when she was speaking with my hero of Ferelden. Hell, I modified their bodies and gave alternative haircut to Morrigan and then slept with both of them in such a way that no one was jealous.

Still my biggest concern about ME3 is squad armor customization.

Tags
effect, games, mass