AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Fullmetal Alchemist

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2003-11-09, 21:37   Link #1
Eleutheria
旅行癖

[Anime] Episode 6: State Alchemist Qualification Exam

Well, just watched it.

The exam, according to the subtitles, was the "state alchemist" exam. Is that equivalent to "National Alchemist"? --because in the next episode preview, he's showing off the silver watch.

Speaking of the next episode, I'm assuming it will be like the manga chapter 05, which means it's gonna make me cry...
Old 2003-11-09, 22:01   Link #2
ZGMF-10A

hmmm anime suki didnt say FMA episode 6 is out but ak already subbed it...... i'm dling right now... maybe they will ipdate it later....... more upload tehn download

3kb/s download...... 30kb/s upload sad...
Old 2003-11-09, 22:45   Link #3
brightman
Ancient Member

Wow... The anime's Ep 6 is a much better leadin to the next part of the story than the manga... Which makes whats to come much much horrifying... Can't wait for next ep...

Anyway, good episode, it was nice to see how he started performing alchemy without drawing the magic circle...

Last edited by brightman; 2003-11-10 at 00:21.
Old 2003-11-10, 01:21   Link #4
FlyByNite

From the previews to the next episode it looks like something bad happens to the little girl Nina, mayhaps Tucker was able to get a chimera to sound like a human because he sacrificed a human to do it?

The ratio of good alchemists They encounter to bad alchemists isn't too good
Old 2003-11-10, 02:29   Link #5
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

Just finished watching 6, its was a good episode. I liked how Ed just passed the exam so easily. The preview for episode 7 doesn't sound too happy when I heard Ed cry out Nina's name. I hope she doesn't die or anything because that would suck big time.

P.S I might've gotton the names wrong
Old 2003-11-10, 13:53   Link #6
BigFire

The Examine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keitarou20
Just finished watching 6, its was a good episode. I liked how Ed just passed the exam so easily. The preview for episode 7 doesn't sound too happy when I heard Ed cry out Nina's name. I hope she doesn't die or anything because that would suck big time.

P.S I might've gotton the names wrong
The Examine is structured like the PhD thesis. There is a written, oral and demostration (either live performance or with end result of the project with written report). When the hydrogen ballon went out of control, Roy Mustang's first instinct is to burn it with his power, but he stopped immediately when he realized that using fire in this situtation would make matter much worse.

As for the Nina and the dog, bring your hankie...

Speculation for episode 7 ahead, possible spoiler..

It looks like episode 7 is the place where they introduced the character Man of Scar. There has been many theories floating about over in Toriyama World forum, with many people thinking that he could be Ed and Al's long missing father. He managed to performed transmutation without circle (or other alchemist tool), like Ed, and the fact that they went out of the way to hide the father's face in the only picture we have of him.
Old 2003-11-10, 15:38   Link #7
Hunter
Bubbly and super fun

Good episode, but i just can't understand why the anime put the storyline in the past of the characters and not in the present like in the manga...
Old 2003-11-10, 17:16   Link #8
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter
Good episode, but i just can't understand why the anime put the storyline in the past of the characters and not in the present like in the manga...
I don't know why they did it but I think its good to see what happened before he became a national certified Alchemist. I hope they switch back to the present soon.
Old 2003-11-10, 18:28   Link #9
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleutheria
The exam, according to the subtitles, was the "state alchemist" exam. Is that equivalent to "National Alchemist"? --because in the next episode preview, he's showing off the silver watch.
The same but not the same: the translator/editor did not pay attention to the official merchandise where it is written "National Alchemist" (see http://www.ketsugi.com/pictures/stat...ist_indeed.jpg ) and instead paid attention to the engrishy "the state alchemist" written in the episode above a description of the scientific revolution in england. (I would like to note that this is clearly an error because "the state alchemist" is not a proper description of an occupation which multiple people hold.)
Old 2003-11-11, 01:03   Link #10
raspberihevn

Send a message via AIM to raspberihevn
omg omg omg I can't believe they're showing this episode already ::frightened:: I can't watch this alone...

I can't believe I'm already traumatized this early in the series ~_~;; omg omg.. who should I call? I would like to sleep well tonight .. ah I should first o_o turn down the volume then O_O brighten the room with a dozen fluorescent lights, um, er maybe it'd be a better idea to watch it tomorrow morning ~(-"-~)
Old 2003-11-11, 01:07   Link #11
Chii^_^
Retired Translator

Send a message via MSN to Chii^_^
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=state

One of the more or less internally autonomous territorial and political units composing a federation under a sovereign government: the 48 contiguous states of the Union.

many times the word "state" is often used to relate to a nation in whole; i.e. "head of state."
Old 2003-11-11, 01:38   Link #12
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

Quote:
Originally Posted by raspberihevn
omg omg omg I can't believe they're showing this episode already ::frightened:: I can't watch this alone...

I can't believe I'm already traumatized this early in the series ~_~;; omg omg.. who should I call? I would like to sleep well tonight .. ah I should first o_o turn down the volume then O_O brighten the room with a dozen fluorescent lights, um, er maybe it'd be a better idea to watch it tomorrow morning ~(-"-~)
hmm.. is the next episode that depressing. I had a feeling the next episode is not going to be a happy one from the preview.
Old 2003-11-11, 04:57   Link #13
FlyByNite

Shouldn't you show the fansubber some slack? Considering the ANIMATORS THEMSELVES! Friggin translated it to "State Alchemist" on the english form.

Old 2003-11-11, 05:40   Link #14
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyByNite
Shouldn't you show the fansubber some slack? Considering the ANIMATORS THEMSELVES! Friggin translated it to "State Alchemist" on the english form.

No. Bones for some reason decided to put the ever so incorrect "the state alchemist". The problem is the use of the word "the". Therefore the fansubbers should have disregarded this. Besides, if you actually pay attention to all the english used, in episode 3, the intro to alchemy book was actually a D&D book or a description of one. In ep 6, the description below is of the technological revolution in Britian. Therefore, all engrish used should be disregarded (unless previously deemed official).

If fansubbers actually used all the engrish the japanese put into series, you would see some very very bizzare words appearing.
Old 2003-11-11, 17:25   Link #15
raspberihevn

Send a message via AIM to raspberihevn
cough cough >.> i-over-reacted :: !_! i'm sorry.

literally i watched 34 seconds of it then alt-f4
Old 2003-11-11, 18:22   Link #16
Rebochan
Clubbing

Unhappy

Holy crap...this is going to be the lead in to the most depressing episode yet! I have a feeling that picture Nina drew is going to be VERY symbolic next episode. And that I'm gonna run through every tissue in the house when I see it too.
Old 2003-11-11, 18:32   Link #17
NenMaster

dount this will depress me, loads of people die in animes and this is another 1 of them.
Old 2003-11-12, 07:02   Link #18
Nagare Ryouma
Warrior Of Eternity

It's kind a off topic but, is FMA worth the DL? I mean I know the the prologue of the story, but how's the fighting and the animation? Is it good? Thx in advance.
Old 2003-11-12, 07:07   Link #19
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagare Ryouma
It's kind a off topic but, is FMA worth the DL? I mean I know the the prologue of the story, but how's the fighting and the animation? Is it good? Thx in advance.
It pwns j00.

Actually, out the first 6 episodes there is fighting in only 3 of them. The animation is pretty darn good though. What is most important is that I'm rather impressed with how the story and characterization is starting to shape up. If you are mostly interested in the fighting this isn't the anime for you. If however you only need a little fighting then get it because the fights that they have are excellent.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Closed Thread