AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2009-10-04, 00:28   Link #16421
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Regius says, quite literally, that he doesn't have any magical power (mahou no chikara wa nai). Subaru flatly says that her father doesn't have any magic at all (maryouku zero). They're clearly talking about their inability to use magic, not their choice.
I thought that's what an "F-rank" linker core meant? I.e., putting "F" next to "Magical Ability" in someone's medical record is just Midchildan shorthand for saying "None"?
DezoPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-04, 00:40   Link #16422
deathcurse
Queen of Tragedy

Location: Place of rocks and trees, and trees and rocks...and water.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
I thought that's what an "F-rank" linker core meant? I.e., putting "F" next to "Magical Ability" in someone's medical record is just Midchildan shorthand for saying "None"?
I don't know that much about rankings, but isn't that very redundant of them? It's like saying someone has a rank of zero Why don't they just say "None" clearly?
deathcurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-04, 00:46   Link #16423
GlancingReverse

Because "F-rank" sounds much more powerful than "No magic at all". In other words, it sounds much more fancier.
GlancingReverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-04, 00:50   Link #16424
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathcurse View Post
I don't know that much about rankings, but isn't that very redundant of them? It's like saying someone has a rank of zero Why don't they just say "None" clearly?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlancingReverse View Post
Because "F-rank" sounds much more powerful than "No magic at all". In other words, it sounds much more fancier.
And it means that everything on the scale can be represented by letters, without having to switch to numbers, which makes the scale itself make more internal sense. Maybe their bureaucrats like to limit the possible inputs in various fields on their forms just like ours do?
DezoPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-04, 00:52   Link #16425
GlancingReverse

Maybe the higher ups in the TSAB that don't have any magical energy insisted on that term to seem much more competent and not seem like a total weakling that could be taken out at any given moment by one of the Bureau's more powerful mages if they were given the chance?
Old 2009-10-04, 01:09   Link #16426
Satashi
Vividly Vivio
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Satashi
My own personal view on mage ranks are:

B-rank. A skilled mage. Considering the test to achieve B rank (that Subaru and Tia originally failed) they had to take out a small army of drones, deal with hostage situations (don't shoot this target) and complete an obstical course within a time limit (and yet they still failed.) So this rank is a rather impressing thing to have for the standard military.

C-rank mages are pretty good warriors, able to be picked from the crowd of standards. The high-ranking police.

D- standard policemen who can protect citizens but not go against trained professionals.

F-rank. The people who can use magic for small things in life.

I don't classify the people who can't use magic because they are not mages. They are just "people who can't use magic"

Plus and Minus attached to the grade: When you're too good to be a B but not good enough to be an A-, there is the B+ rank. The differnce between them, though, is very high. I remember in one of the manga, Fate was thinking that Chrono was a + while she wasn't, and she got her butt handed to her without even trying.

...Come to think of it, did they abandon the +/- in StrikerS? Nanoha said that Subaru and Tia were too good to be C's, but not good enough to be B's, so she sent them to a special camp instead of classifying them as C+ or even a B-......that makes no sense!

Anyway, that's just my own little thing I use for my fics and isn't really right :3
Satashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-04, 01:17   Link #16427
GlancingReverse

No they did have the +/- things in StrikerS, just for Nanoha, Fate, and Hayate, and not the Forwards. With the limiters on, they were downgraded, and I remember their ranks having the +/-'s.
Old 2009-10-04, 01:20   Link #16428
Satashi
Vividly Vivio
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Satashi
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlancingReverse View Post
No they did have the +/- things in StrikerS, just for Nanoha, Fate, and Hayate, and not the Forwards. With the limiters on, they were downgraded, and I remember their ranks having the +/-'s.
So why didn't Nanoha just classify them as a + or - instead of....... never mind, I don't even want to think about it. StrikerS was only good for fic fodder and fanart. Logical plot really wasn't in their interest
Satashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-04, 01:44   Link #16429
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satashi View Post
So why didn't Nanoha just classify them as a + or - instead of....... never mind, I don't even want to think about it. StrikerS was only good for fic fodder and fanart. Logical plot really wasn't in their interest
Its possible that the +/- designations were only for ranks A and above.
Old 2009-10-04, 02:17   Link #16430
Jimmy C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satashi View Post
So why didn't Nanoha just classify them as a + or - instead of.......
Because it was a B-rank placement test, not a ranking assessment test. Pass, you get B, +/- depends on the competency you showed. Fail, you remain C along with +/- that you got in your last assessment test.
Jimmy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-04, 03:14   Link #16431
AdmiralTigerclaw
Sword Wielding Penguin

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralTigerclaw
In light of the rank discussion... I went and pulled up my character notes for the rank chart I created. There are twelve levels of mage from 0 to 11 reprisented by Letter values in my setup. I deem this to be the most logical assessement of what the authors intend with the rank levels. Observe.

X - IMPOSSIBLE (INSANE) - 11
SSS - PHENOMINAL - 10
SS - SUPREME - 9
S - EXCELLENT - 8
AAA - GREAT - 7
AA - VERY GOOD - 6
A - GOOD - 5
B - ABOVE AVERAGE - 4
C - AVERAGE - 3
D - BELOW AVERAGE - 2
E - POOR - 1
F - NON FACTOR - 0
AdmiralTigerclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-04, 04:15   Link #16432
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
What I'd like to know is where people are getting this. As far as I know, this has never been stated anywhere.

In other, less related news, I'd also like to know which bloody idiot figured it'd be a good idea to delete the Nanoha terminology wiki page
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-04, 05:04   Link #16433
Kurush

Send a message via MSN to Kurush
Took a while, but I found this.

Someone had moved the terminology page and stored it in some Animepedia site. Although the jack*** didn't bother to give it additional info.

http://anime.wikia.com/wiki/Nanoha/Magical_Girl_Lyrical_Nanoha
Kurush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-04, 05:37   Link #16434
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

*scratches head* Is it just me, or is that wiki missing a lot of templates that'd be considered natural for an anime wiki?

edit: Ah, found another one: A Nanoha wiki. Nothing better than a wiki of the show itself.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-04, 10:08   Link #16435
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
If anyone cares...

Agito is now up on FF.Net

Which means I'm only 7 chapters behind what I have posted here. :-/

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Nanya01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-04, 11:34   Link #16436
Tabasco

Think of it as lots of lag time to tweak things, if that helps.

I had to split out my offline copy into two separate files after this update, it was getting unwieldly. Always a good sign, in my opinion.
Tabasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-04, 11:42   Link #16437
GlancingReverse

Quote:
*scratches head* Is it just me, or is that wiki missing a lot of templates that'd be considered natural for an anime wiki?

edit: Ah, found another one: A Nanoha wiki. Nothing better than a wiki of the show itself.
Except, you know, we haven't exactly gotten too close to finishing it. Episode summaries, spells, and many more things are required.
Old 2009-10-04, 11:47   Link #16438
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicoX View Post
It's baaaack. Partly thanks to spawn for even mentioning it, which brought my creativity and motivation up.

Chapter 11 has been "lost in space" so to say and only needed a few adjustments. Chapter 12 is almost done too and I'll kick myself in the arse to get on with it.

Spoiler for Chapter 11 - Code:

It's... the writing is good, but you jump around to the point that it's hard to follow one concrete line of thought here. I get (since I had to actually take a glance at where we were, and looked at your outline) that you're splitting it into separated arcs, but I'm not sure about the goal of each. Is each the introduction of a character/pair/trio that arrives on Mid-Childa? If so, have we not started the overarching plot yet? Quite a long time to spend on intros, if that's the case. If not... then I haven't a clue where we're going.

But I'm still enjoying it, because you have a good sense of mystery and style. So I think it could be more... streamlined?
Old 2009-10-04, 11:52   Link #16439
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
Quote:

Personally, I just use TVTropes as the Nanoha wiki, since between the main article and the character sheets pages for Nanoha, there's a LOT of details there and most of the rest of the details are scattered throughout the various tropes associated with some of the characters.

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Nanya01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-04, 11:54   Link #16440
GlancingReverse

I'd use TvTropes a lot less if I wasn't constantly being linked to it.

Tags
authorshipping, befriending, fanfiction, interactive fanfiction, nanoha