AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2009-06-03, 06:50   Link #21
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Double post, but first impressions of the actual gameplay have been made.

From the looks of things, dialog is done through a Mass Effect-like system. Now for me, this is both good and bad. Good, because it is awesome to actually hear your friends' character comment on a situation. Bad, because one thing that irked me about the Mass Effect system was how the small blurbs of text you could chose sometimes hardly resembled what Shepperd would actually say or do.

The good far outweighs the bad though.

Also, TOR seems to be using something called 'Flashpoints' which I'm not quite sure of what they really are. So far they seem to be like instances, gathering a party and heading into a story driven mission together. I'm not sure what this means for the open world though... but I'm not going to draw conclusions from so little information just yet.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-03, 08:03   Link #22
Hourai Rabbit
Blissfully Ignorant

Now that I think about it, I wonder how powerful a computer you'll need to run the game in its full glory. Not that I mind as long as my framerate doesn't get absoultely raeped by my lack of good hardware but, you know, it's always a bonus.
Old 2009-06-03, 10:49   Link #23
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Most awesome trailer of this game so far. (Before it was just still shots with a "historical documentary" narrative, voiced by Lance Henriksen of Aliens and Millennium fame. )

Been noticing this MMORPG follow up to Bioware's famous KOTOR series for some time now, so now I'm even more interested.

By setting the story 3500 years before the Classical Trilogy, hopefully this should be more successful than the other Star Wars MMORPG Galaxies.

Since most of what we know of the Classical Trilogy has already been told in the movies and numerous novels that storywise, there simply is no room for anymore adventure. Not to mention there's no Jedi (because they're nearly all wiped out) or Sith (Rule of Two, and those are already taken by the Emperor and Vader).

Bioware would have no such limits in developing the story for TOR, and so we'll have plenty of Jedis and Siths. And let's face it, there's gonna be a lot of people who'll want to be a Jedi or Sith simply to look "cool", I admit myself is included.

Besides the Jedi and Sith, the other classes known so far include Bounty Hunter, Smuggler (the Han Solo type) and Trooper.

Not touched any MMORPG for ages since Ragnarok Online, and I avoided WoW not because it was back, rather, I avoided it because it was too good that it would ruin my social life.

Speaking of WoW, there is talk in some quarters that TOR could rival WoW, but I wouldn't go that far. WoW's insane success rests on its ability to draw players who know absolutely nothing about Warcraft lore, and simply to "have fun with their friends or family".

TOR can call itself a success if it achieves a much better subscription rates than Galaxies, let alone pry a faction of "lay players" (players who know nothing about Star Wars beyond its movies) from WoW.

BTW, that Sith sure does resemble Malak a bit.
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-03, 12:16   Link #24
s0mething
I am ze Ubermensch!

Well you can never tell how good an mmo will be by a cg trailer but after watching it, it got me really excited for this game.

I've since quit WoW and have been looking for a new mmo to play and I think this may be it.
s0mething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-05, 04:34   Link #25
Kyral
OC Belka Scriptor

From the "first impressions" Keroko posted I gor a little worried about this 'party decision' system.

Seeing how the story is influenced by majority vote (in the example they voted to kill the captain and earn some dark side points) I was wondering what happens if you are the only one voting for being good.

Maybe you get some light side points for voting being good, but I got a little worried about being forced into getting dark side points by simply being in a party of people who want to be evil.

Of course nothing a little discussing before doing the quest can't fix, but there are always idiots who don't care about other party members.
Old 2009-06-05, 07:20   Link #26
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

before the trailer I thought, Jedi = Emotionless Justice and Sith = power fueled by emotions*(DBZ style), but now It seems the sith are just fuckin evil.
Old 2009-06-05, 12:07   Link #27
Kyral
OC Belka Scriptor

Only the most.

Ingame you can be a good Sith if you want.
Old 2009-06-05, 12:21   Link #28
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

*pats Kyero on the back* It sometimes takes a while for people to realize the truth. Some weaklings like to sugarcoat their actions. I am glad to hear you are clear of those doubts now.

Now, for the whole group choice thing. I do share that concern, and I hope that they reward those of the winning vote with an alignment point, but those that lose receive none, since they are partaking in the act, albeit unwillingly.
Old 2009-06-05, 12:54   Link #29
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyral View Post
Only the most.

Ingame you can be a good Sith if you want.
wheres the fun in that?!!

has to be evil badass sith all the way!

I hope we get to see something about HK-47, one of my fav SW characters around
Old 2009-06-05, 13:19   Link #30
Kyral
OC Belka Scriptor

Easy...
As you stuck with your faction, I want to know what BioWare has in store for unusual Sith.

And where's the fun in being like all the others? A little grey can't hurt.
Well knowing me I still leave enough corpses behind anyway. But hey, at least I leave people alive if they give me a good reason (Or if they are fun enough to have around).

Agreed, it would be fun seeing HK-47 again. Maybe he runs around somewhere.
Old 2009-06-05, 13:24   Link #31
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

This looks great o.o;
Haven't visit the website yet, but this MMORPG would have a war system right ? I wonder if a side that always win the war would affect the story too. Since it's about the republic and the sith empire. .

Well, if not. . the system where you could choose what you want to do is also quite intresting.

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-05, 15:45   Link #32
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Wouldn't the choice only really effect Force users? Everyone else is usually allowed a grey area...Jedi and Sith are slightly more abolute in how they work. Not total one sided or the other, but there choices tend to effect them more in most systems.

Of course there is the question of "is it doing an evil act, or allowing an evil act to happen when you could prevent it from happening"?
Old 2009-06-05, 16:46   Link #33
Hourai Rabbit
Blissfully Ignorant

You know what I'd like to see? Grey Jedi. They have this really controversial philosophy that in order to truly dedicate yourself to the Light, you have to know what the Dark Side is like as well, so they use a few Dark powers and are slightly tainted because of it. They don't even have to be playable characters but NPCs or something. Kinda amuses me how people tend to only think of the Jedi and the Sith in terms of absolutes, you know. Then, of course, not all Jedi are completely emotionless and not all Sith are complete monsters. Bioware has a reasonably good track record of making characters that do not fall into this trap, so in that regard I don't think we have anything to worry about.
Old 2009-06-05, 16:55   Link #34
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

You can be a grey Jedi if you want to. Just because you rolled a Sith doesn't mean you have to kill little kittens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Wouldn't the choice only really effect Force users? Everyone else is usually allowed a grey area...Jedi and Sith are slightly more abolute in how they work. Not total one sided or the other, but there choices tend to effect them more in most systems.
Not really. Every class has a morality meter, think about things like the 'noble smuggler' Han Solo, who is a smuggler but a good guy when push comes to shove. On the flipside, you can also play a smuggler who does do only selfish acts. That would certainly make you an infamous character.

Light and dark and the choices that make them are not only a part of the Force, but one of life itself. Brave troopers, cruel troopers or indeed troopers in between. Alignment affects everyone.

Quote:
Of course there is the question of "is it doing an evil act, or allowing an evil act to happen when you could prevent it from happening"?
If such a chance is given, then yes I agree that those who do not take it deserve the dark side point. However, if no such chance is given I find it unreasonable to punish players for being the minority.
Old 2009-06-05, 19:03   Link #35
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Depends on the rule set. We've seen Jedi go over to the Dark Side a few times now in various works. We've seen even fewer come back from the Dark Side. A few....very few, are able to walk that thin grey line between the darkness and the light. Most fall into darkness, some come back to the light...but as far as I remember, none stay in the grey for long.

"Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny. Consume you it will." ~Yoda.
Old 2009-06-06, 02:00   Link #36
gonzo562

awesome trailer

made me go back and play knight of the old republic

but sadly im having trouble getting it to work for vista and it ctd for me on windows xp
gonzo562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-06, 02:55   Link #37
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Depends on the rule set. We've seen Jedi go over to the Dark Side a few times now in various works. We've seen even fewer come back from the Dark Side. A few....very few, are able to walk that thin grey line between the darkness and the light. Most fall into darkness, some come back to the light...but as far as I remember, none stay in the grey for long.

"Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny. Consume you it will." ~Yoda.
So far, TOR does not seem to go down that route. From what we have heard so far, they use the same light side/dark side point system they did in KotoR, meaning that even someone who is very deep into the dark side alignment can redeem himself by doing enough light side actions.

So it all comes down to whether or not the player is able to walk the grey line. I know I've had trouble with it on several occasions in KotoR. I would save someone on one planet, on the next I would force choke someone who was demanding payment for revealing information. And when someone offers me a reward, the first thing I do is get more rather than say the light side 'your happiness is enough for me' type lines.

I'm a greedy bastard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo562 View Post
but sadly im having trouble getting it to work for vista and it ctd for me on windows xp
That's odd, it works fine on mine. Could you describe the problem?
Old 2009-06-06, 06:47   Link #38
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

That trailer was pretty damn cool, still can't judge a game off the intro movie. They are often never alike.

Still reading about the gameplay preview, I will admit I am intrigued. It sounds like it will play a bit like a cross between a few different games by taking some of the interesting features and improve on them. I hope they can pull it off and maintain fluidity with combat in a 'real world' situation.
Old 2009-06-06, 07:29   Link #39
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooPurePureBoy View Post
This is the one MMORPG that has a chance of dethroning WoW as far as I'm concerned. I know it's the only one that's got a chance of pulling me away.
Riiiiight.... fans have always claim their MMO will be the ONE to dethrone WoW but looking at it now, most of em were struggling to remain profitable let alone dent WoW's subscription.

I love WoW but i also love to have new different MMO settings to play (no more orc and elves pls). But it's ridiculous how people make prophecies just from a trailer

Havent seen enough info to warrant my interest yet, the initial screenshots of it weren't that impressive but it's still early. The smuggler class sounds like the traditional rogue/thief archtype. I'm interested in what they ll do with balancing between Jedi and the non-jedi classes.
Old 2009-06-06, 07:40   Link #40
Kyral
OC Belka Scriptor

Who cares about dethroning anyway? It's just a game, everyone should just play what he likes.

And while I'm also a big fan of the Warcraft games (not only WoW) I realized again that I'm still a bigger Star Wars fan.

Heck even if this game ends up being a WoW clone with Star Wars look I would play it simply because I like the setting more.

Tags
bioware, lucasarts, mmorpg, star wars, windows