AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > To Aru... Index [LN/M]

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-06-27, 13:14   Link #11701
Karna
just some guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh_Ping View Post
^You just whipped up a storm up there.

Also, can I send in a resignation letter after I complete this volume?

well, if it stopped being fun for you it's understandable. Thank you for all the translations you have given us so far.
Old 2011-06-27, 13:45   Link #11702
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1246 View Post
Dude Misaka can fly, she uses the water around her and here a photo to prove it (this was talk about a while ago : http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/in...SS1_07_026.jpg
Mmm... true but as a requirement she needs a ver large amount of water like from the sea.
Old 2011-06-27, 15:25   Link #11703
Inept Forum User

Thank you for all your hard work and translations, Teh Ping. I'm truly grateful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfriback View Post
Mmm... true but as a requirement she needs a ver large amount of water like from the sea.
Indeed - and if I recall correctly, doesn't a large amount of it needs to have evaporated as well? (On that occasion, there was a sufficient amount due to an orbital barrage, however after a certain amount of time, there wasn't enough left to sustain flight?)
Old 2011-06-27, 17:27   Link #11704
Breidaluk

Raigun SS2 seems good. Just looking at the illustrations we can see that is not only Lessar that has some screws loose in the head, it seems that everyone in New Light is like that.
"[...]Bayloupe may end up grabbing my ass again…”
Oh! And the one in the second illustration is Oriana?
Old 2011-06-27, 20:11   Link #11705
I_am_Kami
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1246 View Post
Dude Misaka can fly, she uses the water around her and here a photo to prove it (this was talk about a while ago : http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/in...SS1_07_026.jpg
Its not like she can just grow wings and fly like the fridge.

She had to have certain requirements.
Old 2011-06-27, 21:19   Link #11706
arson88

Teh_Ping , thank you for your translations.
Old 2011-06-27, 22:53   Link #11707
Okashira
どうだろうね。ふふ

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_am_Kami View Post
Its not like she can just grow wings and fly like the fridge.
It can be inferred that in Index the ability to fly is somewhat special, for example birds or plane's all need to "follow the rules" in order to fly, that is; they need to take into account weight, wind resistance, gravity and all other things, like flapping their wings or burn their engines, "it's part of a logical procedure" to say something.

In Index all of the "beings" that actually have the "ability" to fly seem to be special, and this is hinted by the narrative in the novels, one can check it out simply, whenever something "big" hierarchy wise is flying the description is always something like "and he/she/it left the ground like suspended by a mysterious force, even though he has wings he hasn't moved them at all (or doesn't have wings in the first place), he leaves the ground for no apparent reason, it's like if an invisible force is making them fly". It's not a "logical" procedure at all, it's like they are flying because they want to; or better yet, because they can.

Bottom line is that, when Mikoto flies, she uses the "logical means" to achieve it, and not the actual true "supernatural ones" that big things do, so she hasn't stepped on that realm at all.

Quote:
I bet that you will be reeled in again by the next time a new Index issue looks too cool to pass up, isn't that the reason the translation effort began in the first place?
あとで, ご苦労様

Totally "OT", but Chapter 2 of volume 3 is now complete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komoe
(It’s been a month since Izanami-chan left to go train to be a baker. The calm has been nice, but that’s a long time to be alone…)
So that's how Aogami got the address

Last edited by Okashira; 2011-06-27 at 23:22.
Old 2011-06-27, 22:56   Link #11708
ellifeedn
Thinker

So Teh_Ping won't be back for NT volume 2?
Old 2011-06-27, 23:43   Link #11709
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
So Teh_Ping won't be back for NT volume 2?
He will or else I will abduct him.
Old 2011-06-28, 00:13   Link #11710
Flere821
Lurker

Teh_Ping is leaving the Index translations? I'd just like to say thanks for his time and effort all this time, and hope he enjoys whatever he will be doing instead of translating Index novels.
Old 2011-06-28, 01:39   Link #11711
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Such a sobering moment... Guys, it's not like he's leaving us for good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okashira View Post
It can be inferred that in Index the ability to fly is somewhat special, for example birds or plane's all need to "follow the rules" in order to fly, that is; they need to take into account weight, wind resistance, gravity and all other things, like flapping their wings or burn their engines, "it's part of a logical procedure" to say something.

In Index all of the "beings" that actually have the "ability" to fly seem to be special, and this is hinted by the narrative in the novels, one can check it out simply, whenever something "big" hierarchy wise is flying the description is always something like "and he/she/it left the ground like suspended by a mysterious force, even though he has wings he hasn't moved them at all (or doesn't have wings in the first place), he leaves the ground for no apparent reason, it's like if an invisible force is making them fly". It's not a "logical" procedure at all, it's like they are flying because they want to; or better yet, because they can.

Bottom line is that, when Mikoto flies, she uses the "logical means" to achieve it, and not the actual true "supernatural ones" that big things do, so she hasn't stepped on that realm at all.
I believe the term is 'unknown method of propulsion'.

Actually the book said that Magicians could easily attain flight, but the reason why they don't is because the countermeasures against flight is so simple that it overweights any benefits they could gain from flying.

Quote:
Just by praying to the lord, Peter, one of the twelve apostles, had brought down a magician named Simon Magus who was said to have used demonic power to fly. Because the anti-flight spell used in that legend was developed within the Christian Church, the heretical and pagan flight spells that could be explained using Christian doctrines had fallen into a problematic dilemma where flying was easy but being made to fall to the earth was easy as well.
Old 2011-06-28, 06:30   Link #11712
Hell_ping
一刀繚乱

Quote:
^You just whipped up a storm up there.

Keyword--> 'can'. The above mentioned was a question, not a statement. I guess everyone jumped the gun there, but I am inclined towards resignation, mostly because there's a project that I promised to work on no matter what.

And I think I made up a bigger storm...
Old 2011-06-28, 06:34   Link #11713
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Yokatta nei ? Isn't it great that you're so loved?
Old 2011-06-28, 06:46   Link #11714
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
mostly because there's a project that I promised to work on no matter what.
Which project would that be?
Old 2011-06-28, 06:46   Link #11715
Hell_ping
一刀繚乱

Oh, the first one.
Old 2011-06-28, 10:54   Link #11716
leukrota

Quote:
Oh, the first one.
Baka to Test?
Old 2011-06-28, 11:02   Link #11717
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Such a sobering moment... Guys, it's not like he's leaving us for good

I believe the term is 'unknown method of propulsion'.

Actually the book said that Magicians could easily attain flight, but the reason why they don't is because the countermeasures against flight is so simple that it overweights any benefits they could gain from flying.
And that's why Science made fighter jets
Old 2011-06-28, 16:51   Link #11718
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by leukrota View Post
Baka to Test?
Or is it Infinite Stratos?
Old 2011-06-28, 17:15   Link #11719
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by leukrota View Post
Baka to Test?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfriback View Post
Or is it Infinite Stratos?
You know what would be totally cool of you Teh_Ping? If you go against convention and translate [Rental Magica] I would REALLY be grateful to you
Old 2011-06-28, 17:25   Link #11720
ellifeedn
Thinker

Wouldn't a crossover between Toaru and Rental Magica work well? Magic wise anyway...
Closed Thread

Tags
action, dengeki bunko, fantasy, light novels, science fiction, shounen